Renault Modus - Service tips - rustonboy

I want to change the oil&filter and air filter on our 1.4 petrol Modus. There is no Haynes manual for this car, so I was wondering whether the engine is similar/same as another Renault model? The plugs for this model are v. expensive - any ideas on how long I can leave them in for? Any tips re tricky things to look out for? Many thanks :-)

Renault Modus - Service tips - elekie&a/c doctor
This car is basically a Clio with a different body . Service parts are not expensive, not sure why the spark plugs are expensive., unless they are iridium type . They have a service life of approximately 60k miles . You’ll likely need a special socket to get them out .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 15/02/2024 at 17:59

That's good to know, and I will buy a Clio Haynes manual for future reference. The plugs are apparently about £20 each - must be that special type you mention, but have only done 20K miles so good for a while yet. Your help is really appreciated - many thanks :-)

Renault Modus - Service tips - Andrew-T

Service manuals aren't what they were 20 years ago. During that time it has become steadily more difficult to DiY your car. You may find that oil filters can only be easily dealt with when the car is two feet off the ground, for example. However I don't want to put you off .... !!

Renault Modus - Service tips - John F

My tip is to save a bit of money by cleaning the air filter's pleats with a thin stiff brush. The UK is not a dusty country and you will probably find that only a small part of it has accumulated much debris. Unless our old Focus had its air filter replaced during the the previous owner's 29,000 miles, it was sc***ped at over 160,000 miles with its original filter, brushed and occasionally washed only a few times by me. Same goes for the pollen filter, if it has one.

Many thanks for tips and encouragement! All done now, and have learned the following:

The plastic tray under the engine can be swivelled back and out of the way after removing the 5 bolts and detaching just one of the rear push fit connectors, making it easier to reconnect. The drain plug has a square recess of 8 mm, so I had to make a key - very luckily I had an old 8x8 mm bar at the bottom of a toolbox ! I would recommend make the key as short as possible, e.g. 2.5 cm. The filter appears to be impossible to remove without spillage, so wear nitrile gloves (cheap these days). The air filter (bought at the same time as the oil & filter) is fortunately a doddle to replace.

I agree the Haynes manuals are not what they used to be - soft covers, cheap paper, information jumbled up all over the place, the chapter and section numbering has gone mad, and there is no longer a troubleshooting section where you need it - at the end of each chapter. A very sad situation, as they used to be pretty good.