Car insurance claim 2 years on - JOJOJ

Can anyone please advise?

A man hit me from behind, at the time he agreed it was his fault after a witness came forward. I swapped details, but I believed he gave me a fake phone number. We both drove to a safe position, and he drove further down the road, so I never actually got a picture of his car. I had never been in an accident before, so I know this was my mistake. However, as he admitted it at the time, I didn't think I would have an issue, and I also had a witness.

I spoke to my witness around 2 months later, and they told me the insurance company spoke to her on the phone and they were going to send her a form in the post, which at the time she said she never got. I never claimed for injury, just repair of my car. It's been over 2 years since I had 2 new phones since then, so I doubt I'll even have her phone number. The insurance company should have this as well as her address if they sent her a form.

The insurance company fixed my car, and I thought this was an end to the matter.

I now had a letter saying the third party's insurance company has asked for evidence to prove his client was involved in the accident and they not been able to contact my witness.

I'm shocked, as it's now been over 2 years. Why now? Should I report it to the police? If I can't provide any evidence now, will I be forced to pay for the repair? All I had was a dashcam showing this person indicating to go left, and then a bang to my car around 20 seconds later. I never had a rear dashcam.

Edited by JOJOJ on 04/05/2024 at 19:12

Car insurance claim 2 years on - RT

Just pass the information to your insurer at the time of the accident, let them deal with it

Edited by RT on 04/05/2024 at 19:31

Car insurance claim 2 years on - Adampr

There is a rash of various insurance scams at the moment and you have probably.been flagged as a possibility. As above, just give them the info they've asked for and there's nothing to worry about.

Car insurance claim 2 years on - Sofa Spud

One old trick is for a driver who knows that they were to blame for an accident admits full responsibility at the scene, only to tell a completely different story to their insurance company,

Edited by Sofa Spud on 04/05/2024 at 20:52

Car insurance claim 2 years on - mcb100
We had similar last week - a no fault RTC on January 2nd, 2023, car repaired (eventually, due to parts unavailability) and no excess paid.
About three weeks ago we received communication from a solicitor appointed by our insurer (LV) saying that they hadn’t recovered the repair costs from the third party’s insurer.
Completed a few forms, gave a few permissions, and a couple of days ago received an email from LV saying that they’d successfully recovered the costs, our no claims hadn’t been affected and the case was closed.
Car insurance claim 2 years on - Calum38

Inform your insurance company promptly with all the details and evidence you have, like the dashcam footage, so they can handle the issue with the third party's insurer.