The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 9. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 22/04/2024 at 20:45

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Ethan Edwards

Test drove a used MG4 yesterday. Trophy Long Range 64kwh battery 270m range.

Seriously impressive car, lively drive. Well equipped, comfy and quiet. Seriously considering it.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - mcb100
What sort of mileage are you contemplating in the MG 4? I ask as they don’t have the reputation as the most reliable EV in the marketplace.
It’s not usually big stuff (battery/motor, etc), but bodywork and electrical ancillaries.

Usual commute 75m round trip, occasional pop up to York. Used to do 20k a year pre Covid now 8k. My Mokka-e is handling this with aplomb. Pretty sure the longer legged MG4 will be fine.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - SLO76
Despite my ongoing criticism of EV’s and the UK’s woeful public charging infrastructure, our 40kw Nissan Leaf has now been with us for coming up on a year. We’ve done 12,000 miles in “Leo” the Leaf without any faults at all, beyond the handbrake binding a bit on wet days when reversing, it immediately frees off when you move forward - apparently a known issue with the Leaf.

It’s a very relaxing car to drive and extremely cheap to run. It was bought right so depreciation isn’t crippling unlike most EV’s and it’s very practical. I agree with Auto Trader when they voted it best city car. It’s a perfect second car. I get two days of commuting plus a bit of running around for £2.50 via our home charger and low cost off-peak electricity overnight.

It’s hopeless as long distance transport but that’s more down to the poor state of our public charging network, the Leaf’s Betamax charging connector and the grotesque cost of using privately owned public chargers which at 75/85p p/kwh are dearer than filling up with petrol or diesel. The car itself can sit happily at motorway speeds for the typical two hours or so you’d travel before needing a wee toilet/snack stop which in theory can be tied in with a wee 30/40 min fast charge, but in practice we’ve found chargers are all too often busy, offline or blocked by m****s.

To show how much I do actually like the car we have both agreed that we will always have at least one electric car on our driveway.
Ford and evs - barney100

Apparently a top Ford exec has warned that they will cut the amount of ice cars they will sell in the UK. This is to avoid huge penalties for not meeting the governments demands on the percentage of EVs sold. The ice cars will be sold on other markets.

Ford and evs - SLO76
It’s legislation like this that’s driving up prices of conventional powered cars. EV’s aren’t getting cheaper, they’re just pricing us out of petrol and diesel alternatives by pushing them up to parity with hugely overpriced EV’s.
Stand by for EV bargains towards the end of the year as manufacturers pre-register large numbers in order to hit the 22% target.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - daveyjp

There are already bargains. Look at prices of pre reg Leaf with the smaller battery, £17k, if you are happy with a few thousand miles £12k for a 23 reg,

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Terry W

First the carrot to pull in new EV owners - low tax etc.

Now the stick to beat aspiring ICE buyers - quotas and fines

For some this could be a win-win:

• the trade in value of ICE will increase partly reflecting the increased cost of new ICE cars demanded by those who can't or won't embrace electric
  • the price of my shiny new EV will continue to fall as manufacturers (a) need to hit sales targets and avoid fines, and (b) costs of production are anyway falling

We could arrive at the somewhat bizarre situation where a new EV is cheaper than a (say) 2 year old similar ICE. Trade in your old ICE and get a brand new EV + some folding.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Engineer Andy

Read a report in today's Telegraph that showed a very worrying trend for EV owners - one that many here are already well aware of anecdotally, but has now been confirmed by a study by [technology firm] Epyx (admittedly I'd never heard of them) and from data from both Michelin and Goodyear.

The report initially gave the account of an elderly ID3 owner who, despite having been a very experienced driver over the years (and presumably knew how to keep his cars in good order) had to replace the two rear tyres after only 7,500 miles, and his dealership said this was 'normal'.

Whilst seemingly VW have seemingly done a PR job by saying that 'driving vigorously' and 'keeping the correct pressures' make a big difference, the report goes on to give the info from the Epyx study, where the average EV does only 18,000 miles on a set compared to 24,000 for an ICE equivalent (probably size-wise), and that the EV owners were spending £207 a tyre rather than £130 for the ICE vehicle equivalent.

Having tyres that, on average, last 75% as long and cost ~60% more is not good on the running costs stakes, especially now that commercial charging prices have shot up over the past couple of years.

Michelin said their 'conventional' tyres wear 20% faster when fitted to equivalent (likely sized) EVs over ICE cars; for Goodyears, it was a whopping 50%.

The report also said that tyre manufacturers are developing more EV-specific tyres that will cope with the extra weight, but that this would mean prices would have to rise even further (probably the average would rise, not across the board, as some already come with EV-specific tyres).

This was borne out partly by the price differential above - though I suspect some of that is because many EVs come with very low profile and/or odd unusual sized tyres which are more expensive to make, and thus supply and demand should be factored in.

It seems that some cars are affected much more significantly than others - possibly 2WD cars, with that ID3 being a RWD car, unusual for a modern-day VW the size of a Golf.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - gordonbennet

Short tyre life isn't just an issue with battery cars.

New tyre tread depths are getting ridiculous in too many cases, but very difficult for the average motorist to find out what tread depths their potential new tyres come with.

Camskill gives tread depths on some, TyreReviews gives the new depths on tested tyres, not aware of anywhere else that provides this info.

Some new tyres are coming with only 6.5mm new tread giving only 3.5mm of tread to use if they change at 3mm as many do (i don't like going below 3mm for water dispersal issues), if the tyres are wide low profiles by the time they get to 3mm they start to look grim espacially on front wheels where cornering forces tend to knock the edges off prematurely, my last set of new Falkens came with only just over 7mm and whilst they've been a decent enough tyre i've already decided i will not buy another tyre with under 8mm new depth.

Regarding excessive wear on battery car tyres, its going to happen if people take advantage of blasting away enjoying leaving ice cars standing, hopefully they've saved more than enough on fuel to make it nothing to worry about.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - badbusdriver

The report also said that tyre manufacturers are developing more EV-specific tyres that will cope with the extra weight

The issue of weight on its own really shouldn't be an issue re tyres. Using the ID3 as an example, the biggest battery version that has a GVW of 2300kg, the same as my last but one work van, a 2006 Ford Transit Connect (which used 195/65x15 tyres). Torque may well be an issue, not because of the amount (plenty of ICE cars have as much torque as an electric equivalent), but because it is available instantly. But that is really down to the driver, you don't have to floor it every time you pull away.

It seems that some cars are affected much more significantly than others - possibly 2WD cars, with that ID3 being a RWD car, unusual for a modern-day VW the size of a Golf

As for the issue of the ID3 being RWD. While that does mean the rear tyres will be working harder than they would on a FWD car, it also means the front tyres will be working less hard because now they are only having to steer, rather than steer and put the power down.

The report also said that tyre manufacturers are developing more EV-specific tyres that will cope with the extra weight

The issue of weight on its own really shouldn't be an issue re tyres. Using the ID3 as an example, the biggest battery version that has a GVW of 2300kg, the same as my last but one work van, a 2006 Ford Transit Connect (which used 195/65x15 tyres). Torque may well be an issue, not because of the amount (plenty of ICE cars have as much torque as an electric equivalent), but because it is available instantly. But that is really down to the driver, you don't have to floor it every time you pull away.

It seems that some cars are affected much more significantly than others - possibly 2WD cars, with that ID3 being a RWD car, unusual for a modern-day VW the size of a Golf

As for the issue of the ID3 being RWD. While that does mean the rear tyres will be working harder than they would on a FWD car, it also means the front tyres will be working less hard because now they are only having to steer, rather than steer and put the power down.

The problem is that perfectly reasonable set of assumptions directly contradicts the experience of the person in the report with the ID3, who wasn't hard on the car and who'd previously got up to 35,000 miles out of sets of tyres.

Assuming the guy was being truthful as to how he drove his car, there must be something that lead to the tyres wearing far more quickly than on his previous car. It could be that this extra weight (and this could also be a factor on many a bigger [and thus heavier] car these days, especially SUVs), perhaps in combination with the higher load going over poorly-surfaced roads and speed humps leads to additional wear in the suspension and tyres, which have an increasing effect on one another.

Whilst I agree with GB that tread depths are on the decrease, a good number (like Michelin) now say that they should fine below 3mm, possibly right up to the minimum legal depth or around 10 years old, rather than the 'old' way of recommending changing at 3mm tread left or 6 years old.

I'd like to see TyreReviews test some 225 section Michelins at 1.6mm for resistance to aquaplaning.

My SUV weighs in at slightly over 2 tons, the AT tyres fitted to these vehicle tend to last upwards of 30k miles, with many last 60k or more.

Unless the car in question is fitted with wheelbarrow size tyres revolving at least twice as many times as normal tyres for a given distance there's no logical reason for the rapid wear, other than a super soft tread compound for reasons of RWD grip issues or that they came with a measly 6.5mm new and the owner (sensibly IMHO) isn't wishing to run round on slicks.

One other thing, would the ID3 be regenerating via the rear tyres using full retard without actually braking, an older driver would be likely to never use the brakes at all given sufficient auxialliary retard, rear tyres getting wtice ther work out, i do exactly this in my day work, almost all braking completed on auxialliary systems (retarder)

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/05/2024 at 19:39

My Mokka-e is still on the original tyres, have 5mm of tread left and I'm 16.5k miles in. So not every EV wears out five sets of tyres and catches fire weekly nor explodes every other day. You are being lied to by the FF media.

The deciding factor is the organic behind the wheel. Yes the power and the instant acceleration are fantastic. If you use them all the time be prepared to buy tyres. If you're in your 60's and use the car as a transport device and not supplemental appendage enhancement then in my three year EV experience there's little difference.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Terry W

I don't think weight is the main issue affecting tyre life. As Ethan notes, the issue is likely down to exploiting the extra performance

There are countless larger cars, particularly SUV and 4WD, which weigh more than an ID3 and as far as I am aware have no issue with tyre life.

That tyres with a higher weight rating are more expensive is unsurprising as manufacturing volumes are low. As sales of EVs increase, production volumes will follow and reduce the current cost differential.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Brit_in_Germany

Our ev has gone 20,000 miles and is still on the original Michelin Crossclimates.

If we’re looking at anecdotal evidence of tyre wear, I follow the Polestar owners Facebook group.
There are tales of owners getting 15,000 miles from tyres and others still on the same set at 40,000+.
Both from the same model/spec of car. So the only variable is the manner in which it has been driven.
So something under 10,000 from a fairly humdrum small hatchback does suggest something is a little awry.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - madf

Some drivers of BMW I3 report 7k miles life from rear tyres when they drive like a BMW driver .

Others get 25k miles..

Simple reasons..

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - corax

Heavy vehicles, electric motors having max torque from a standstill. And if you exploit that...

Heavy vehicles, electric motors having max torque from a standstill. And if you exploit that...

Thats what i was getting at, if you put rock hard ditchfinders on the car would either barely accelerate due to traction controls preventing slip, or wheelspin uncontrollably if TC was switched off (if even possible), in yon olden days we found such things for ourselves and bought better tyres next time*

I suspect the tread compounds are on the softer side to allow that massive instant torque from stationary to impress the motoring press and buyers alike.

* we bought a new HIlux in 2007, 3 litre auto, no electronic stability but it did have a rear LSD...which proved not to be as good a thing as the petrol heads out there might suggest. The LSD was too fierce hence on wet corners as the inside rear wheel would naturally lighten and lessen grip given the leaf sprung live rear axle, the LSD wouldn't allow that wheel to slip to eventually spin harmlessly, instead the almost locked diff effect caused several unpleasant and unprovoked oversteers.

We weren't the only ones to find this, the demo we had originally planned to purchase was written off by one of the salesmen on a wet roundabout, and at the time the model we bought failed the Scandinavian moose test.

Also after doing some research i found the european versions of Invincible had been fitted with tyres one width and one aspect size smaller than the rest of the world, replaced the OE tyres within 1000 miles and bought the right size and much better gripping tyres, General UHP 265/70 x 16 instead of OE 255/65 x 16, vehicle transformed to solid handling with accurate speedo, also bought a used set of alloys from a grey import of the same model which came with the rest of the world size alreday fitted and had winter tyres fitted to those.

Toyota recalled the top spec model and refitted different sized wheels and tyres (same size as lower spec models), i didn't conform to recall because i'd already fixed the issue as did some other owners.

If we’re looking at anecdotal evidence of tyre wear, I follow the Polestar owners Facebook group. There are tales of owners getting 15,000 miles from tyres and others still on the same set at 40,000+. Both from the same model/spec of car. So the only variable is the manner in which it has been driven. So something under 10,000 from a fairly humdrum small hatchback does suggest something is a little awry.

The odd thing about that experience with the ID3 was that the man's dealership said it was 'normal' and 'expected'. Surely if it was the way it was driven, they would've said so and defended their car's 'honour'.

Maybe some are better designed than others - including the suspension, which can take a decent amount of the punishment away from the tyres. Whilst I'm going by the report I referred to, like I said in the other thread (Which survey reliability), what basis it was done on isn't given, which cannot confirm whether many factors influencing the results have been accounted for.

One thing that is true - though more about newer cars generally - is that their OEM tyre sizes are wider and lower profile, meaning they will inherently be more susceptible damage than older cars with skinnier, higher-profile tyres on smaller alloys and steel rims

Given the higher prevalence of potholes and generally damaged roads these days, this may make a big difference, but will also be compounded by cars getting bigger, heavier and faster accelerating.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Adampr

None of this is what the Telegraph report actually says though:

www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/my-elec.../

It has an anecdote from one old boy about his tyres wearing out quickly. We have only his word as evidence for the entire story. He has probably been spinning them up to his regulation 40mph on the way to cause whatever chaos he chooses in the rush hour traffic.

Epyx are a a software company that make, among other things tracking software for fleet servicing. Over a year ago, they issued a blog post about some findings from their software.

www.epyx.co.uk/2023/03/13/our-new-data-shows-elect.../

Two of the more pertinent quotes in the post:

1. "These figures need to be approached with some caution because of the samples involved"

2. "we have limited data so far on EV tyre wear and replacement but hope to create meaningful comparisons with ICE vehicles soon."

The Telegraph, being a comic for retired people in the home counties, has of course complely.ignored that and just dragged up random parts of it 14 months later to try to add credence to one man's purported experience. They then call it journalism...

One data point is clearly all you need to extrapolate to cover the whole population.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - pd

The more I read this the more convinced I am some people are just "enjoying" the step off performance of their EV.

EVs are actually quite addictive in that sense. If I've driven one usually the first time I get back into a conventional car including my own (which isn't slow) I end up stranded across a roundabout facing on coming traffic because the ice car simply can't get out in the gaps an EV can.

Virtually every EV has an Eco mode which will dull the pull away so anyone worried about tyre wear shound just leave that on.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Andrew-T

The more I read this the more convinced I am some people are just "enjoying" the step off performance of their EV..

It seems from the above discussion and anecdote that EVs - either because of their greater weight or drivers' enjoyment of their acceleration - consume tyres faster than ICE cars. As EVs are forced upon as environmentally preferable, this fact must lose them some Brownie points, as it is well known that tyre 'dust' is one of the unpleasant components of the urban atmosphere ?

None of this is what the Telegraph report actually says though:

Incorrect (see below comments).

www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/my-elec.../

It has an anecdote from one old boy about his tyres wearing out quickly. We have only his word as evidence for the entire story. He has probably been spinning them up to his regulation 40mph on the way to cause whatever chaos he chooses in the rush hour traffic.

The report of his account DID say that his local dealership said that the high wear 'was expected'.

Epyx are a a software company that make, among other things tracking software for fleet servicing. Over a year ago, they issued a blog post about some findings from their software.

www.epyx.co.uk/2023/03/13/our-new-data-shows-elect.../

Two of the more pertinent quotes in the post:

1. "These figures need to be approached with some caution because of the samples involved"

2. "we have limited data so far on EV tyre wear and replacement but hope to create meaningful comparisons with ICE vehicles soon."

The Telegraph, being a comic for retired people in the home counties, has of course complely.ignored that and just dragged up random parts of it 14 months later to try to add credence to one man's purported experience. They then call it journalism...

That's why I did voice some scepticism on another thread. Yes, standards have dropped there considerably in my view, but that doesn't mean its all bad all the time, nor are all other legacy' outlets any better, in in my view, most are worse.

I think that comment about it being a 'comic' for retired people in the home counties is rather harsh, especially as similarly derogatory labels can be attached to the readerships and 'journalistic' quality of all other legacy media outlets. I've seen far, far worse elsewhere, which says a lot about journalism these days.

Many people stick with what they know, even past the point when they know in their heart of hearts that the quality just isn't there. I tend to dip in to the DT and other outlets for content but with a sceptical eye.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Steveieb

We now hear that with an EV mandate in the US many drivers are hanging on to their old petrol cars rather than switching.

Its called the Havana effect like Cuba where a ban on imports forced local to make do and mend with old US cars some past their sell by date !

https://youtu.be/lyO9aKho808?feature=shared

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - pd

I believe the USA EV mandate is about a third by 2032 now so not too onerous.

You certainly see plenty of EVs in the States in and around the lager cities but few in the rural and remote areas.

We now hear that with an EV mandate in the US many drivers are hanging on to their old petrol cars rather than switching.

Its called the Havana effect like Cuba where a ban on imports forced local to make do and mend with old US cars some past their sell by date !

https://youtu.be/lyO9aKho808?feature=shared

Unlike cars of old (as in 1960s and before), modern ICE cars have a lot of complex parts (especially electronics) that are not easily made by some backstreet outfit rather like our F1 industry used to be prior to the mid 1970s.

Prices will increasingly go up and by far more than inflation, and availability and quality will go down as OEM and decent pattern parts providers drop them because they cannot turn a profit on them.

It doesn't help that increasingly car parts are not 'backwards' (older models) or 'sideways' (with other brands of car, sometimes not even those from the same stable but which are different sizes) compatible, and there just isn't the small scale ability to design, manufacture or modify parts.

The only alternative for many will likely be poor quality, perhaps often unsafe / illegal (untested) 'cloned' parts coming from sweat shops of developing nations and dodgy outfits at home (like run by criminals).

That's assuming TPTB don't just legislate older cars off the roads entirely or effectively by allowing bigger towns and cities to keep them out via outright bans or swingeing daily costs from ULEZs. That will force many of the less well off back onto public transport (often not suitable for the required usage) and/or to seriously reduce social mobility back to what it was 100 years ago.

The UK isn't exactly away with 1960s Caddys to be re-used!

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - Steveieb

Possibly not mentioned in any newspaper except Private Eye representatives of car dealers and leasing companies met with the Commons transport select committee wanting the government more money to the electric car trade.

Private Eye reminded its readers about a quote from, second hand car salesman Arthur Daley who once said “You only get out of life what you put in , and a bit more if you can find a couple of mugs “

Back to tyres for a moment, Lex Autolease (157,000 EV’s on their fleet) say - ‘We have no evidence to suggest than EVs have better or worse tyre rates than petrol and diesel cars as many of them become bigger and heavier.’

Edited by mcb100 on 28/05/2024 at 14:01

It seems the ID3 is delivered with tyres having a tread depth of just 5.5 mm - a bit like computer printers being supplied with special low capacity cartridges.

So take 2.5mm off them and you’re at the point when a dealer would recommend they’re changed.
Back to tyres for a moment, Lex Autolease (157,000 EV’s on their fleet) say - ‘We have no evidence to suggest than EVs have better or worse tyre rates than petrol and diesel cars as many of them become bigger and heavier.’

That could just as easily mean they don't bother to gather any evidence - especially as they may not have put lots of other factors into the mix, or haven't yet checked evidence that was there.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - alan1302

That could just as easily mean they don't bother to gather any evidence - especially as they may not have put lots of other factors into the mix, or haven't yet checked evidence that was there.

They would notice if they had to change them a lot more often than normal - sounds like that is not happening.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - leaseman

In many years of running Contract Hire companies, I found that excessive tyre wear was often related to drivers (hapless when I caught them and proved it!) providing free rubber for their spouses mode of transport.

I couldn't believe it when it first happened, but it was more common than most would believe.

They would notice if they had to change them a lot more often than normal - sounds like that is not happening.

Perhaps they don't want to admit it, given their financial standing (and personally / professionally for its directors) would seriously go down if they had proverbially backed the wrong horse.

I mean, they've said nothing about other issues that have come up (like insurance) that has seriously impacted the second hand value of EVs, which surely would impact their profitability when they sell on EVs and/or have to significantly raise lease costs for customers to offset that.

Many established car manufacturers appear to be having serious doubts about plunging into EV production and appear to already be having behind the scenes words with politicians from many Western nations about watering down EV mandates, etc.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 9 - alan1302

Perhaps they don't want to admit it, given their financial standing (and personally / professionally for its directors) would seriously go down if they had proverbially backed the wrong horse.

I mean, they've said nothing about other issues that have come up (like insurance) that has seriously impacted the second hand value of EVs, which surely would impact their profitability when they sell on EVs and/or have to significantly raise lease costs for customers to offset that.

Many established car manufacturers appear to be having serious doubts about plunging into EV production and appear to already be having behind the scenes words with politicians from many Western nations about watering down EV mandates, etc.

For the insurance I suppose it will depend if it affects large companies in the same way it does individuals. It's quite possible insuring cars for large companies is not increasing as much as it is for others.

I'd be having doubts as well if I was a manufacturer - I feel that it's being pushed too quickly which has the opposite affect that the governments want as there is now push back against EVs rather than allowing the sales of EVs to increase naturally over time. People don't like to feel that they are being pushed into what they can drive.

With all the hysteria online regarding rising insurance costs with EV’s we were expecting to be stung when SWMBO’s policy came due renewal this month on her Leaf. Shopped around and cover was obtained for £200 less than last year - her first year as a car owner in many years, thus no no claims at the time. Not cheap at £420 but she only has a years no claims, and it’s much cheaper than the daft quotes people are talking about on various Facebook pages related to EV’s.
With all the hysteria online regarding rising insurance costs with EV’s we were expecting to be stung when SWMBO’s policy came due renewal this month on her Leaf. Shopped around and cover was obtained for £200 less than last year - her first year as a car owner in many years, thus no no claims at the time. Not cheap at £420 but she only has a years no claims, and it’s much cheaper than the daft quotes people are talking about on various Facebook pages related to EV’s.

To be fair, the Leaf is at the low end of the market for EVs - not to disparage it, just that the car isn't 'flashy' in look, kit or performance. Perhaps there's a lesson there for other manufacturers in order to keep insurance costs down.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 01/06/2024 at 15:23

The EV red ink keeps flowing in USA. - focussed

Bad news from electric-vehicle manufacturers is coming almost as frequently as the bullish White House press releases. Even as manufacturers rack up big losses, the Administration continues to push out subsidies for a force-fed EV transition.

EV manufacturer Lucid this week reported that it lost $684.8 million in the first quarter of the year. That’s $348,124 per car delivered. The good news was that it still aims to produce 9,000 vehicles this year. Toyota sells three times as many cars in a day.

Lucid was at least able to raise another $1 billion in capital from its majority shareholder, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

You have to smile at the irony that oil profits are financing an American EV manufacturer..!

EV startup Rivian this week also reported $1.45 billion in losses during the first three months of the year, amounting to $106,417 for each of the 13,588 vehicles it delivered. Its stock has fallen about 92% since the company went public in autumn 2021 amid irrational investor exuberance. Lucid’s stock is down 95% from its peak in November 2021.

www.wsj.com/articles/electric-vehicle-manufacturer...e

The EV red ink keeps flowing in USA. - John F

Lucid was at least able to raise another $1 billion in capital from its majority shareholder, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

You have to smile at the irony that oil profits are financing an American EV manufacturer..!

With over $700 billion it's a gamble they can afford to lose......and they probably will. Lucid bangs on about its advanced winding technology, clever hollow rotor and self-styled upmarket positioning but the thing that struck me when I sat in one was that the rear seats are only fit for children. They are only a few inches above the floor as the battery takes up so much space.

A couple of lower priced French EV’s coming to market soon.
We’ve seen Dacia Spring pricing already - £14,995 with a WLTP range of 137 miles, and now Citroën have announced the ë-C3 with 199 miles range for £21,990.
Both will make for excellent used buys once the market half’s those prices by year two, possibly three in the case of the Dacia.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/06/2024 at 18:13