Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - Atsgmo

I'm looking for a first car for my 18 year old son and have seen a possible option in Cargiant. It's a 2018 model. However the HPI check shows a 380 mile reduction when it was a year old. It looks like the mileage was entered correctly, then increased for some reason on the same day and then changed back down two days later.

The records are as follows

1st owner

8/1/2019 9,580

11/10/2019 19,026

11/10/2019 19,406

13/10/2019 19,026 ( reduction)

15/10/2020 28,107

20/10/2020 28107

02/06/2021 28,794

(2nd owner)

23/05/2022 44,,501

17/06/2023 55,507

Can someone who has more experience of these things than me suggest what has happened here? Is it something to be concerned about?

Also, is there a logical reason why the current advertised mileage is the same as the final recorded mileage in June 23?. Has it really not done any miles since then and been sitting on someone's driveway. (The road tax expired on 31st December)

Thanks

Edited by Atsgmo on 26/03/2024 at 08:36

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - daveyjp

Two options.

Accept it was an error of a few hundred miles and buy it if condition looks good at a price which reflects the issue,

As Picantos and i10s are numerous find another with a clean history,

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - badbusdriver

First port of call would surely be to contact Gargiant. They have been around for a long time, and while that in itself doesn't exclude the possibility of any dodgy cars or practises, I'd suggest the "reduction" is more likely to simply be human error when entering details.

As for the 2nd issue, the car may well have been owned by an elderly person who either had to give up driving (or actually passed away), and it simply took the 6 months before anything was done about it.

Thanks. Regarding the second issue, it looks like the second owner did heavy mileage. So it's unlikely to have been an elderly driver.

Edited by Atsgmo on 26/03/2024 at 09:00

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - elekie&a/c doctor
I wouldn’t be too bothered about the discrepancy of the mileage. Have you checked the mot history on dvla ?

Yes. All is fine with the MoT. The first was in 2021 and the milage all tallies with the HPI check.

Just worried it is going to cause me issues when I come to sell. As the first reply says, I think it is safer to find a blemish-free vehicle

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - elekie&a/c doctor
Fair enough, but by the time you come to sell it , I doubt any prospective buyer will be too bothered.
Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - Potatohead44

Seems like an admin error to me, as far as I understand it records all mileage entries even if done in error.

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - Andrew-T

Does the service record show why the mileage was recorded 3 times in two days ? It can't have been for an MoT (too soon), so I would guess it may just have been a correction. Don't forget that there are plenty of mistranscribed numbers on 'genuine' MoT records.

Another worry is that it is not difficult to 'correct' the reading on an electronic odometer - there is a place near here which invites customers to have it done - so it may be those cars where it has been done 'carefully' that you should worry about. Your car seems to have led a genuinely busy life.

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - Brit_in_Germany

There are two readings for 11.10.19 separated by 380 miles. It is doubtful that both are correct, so may be the 406 was entered by mistake and should be 026.

Thanks all. I've just spoken to cargiant and they say their checks have all come back clear and don't show any issues with the mileage. So I have sent them the HPi check and they are investigating. I'll let you know what they say

Maybe I can use it to get a reduction in price?

Edited by Atsgmo on 26/03/2024 at 11:00

Kia picanto - Is there a good reason for mileage discrepanc - Andrew-T

Maybe I can use it to get a reduction in price?

I think that would be vexatious (to use a legal term). I don't see any reason to suspect that the car should show a higher (i.e. cheaper to you) mileage, and unless you have solid grounds to suspect the seller to be responsible I can't see just cause to try it on.