Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - David Hendrick

We bought a 2022 insignia, new from a dealership. After about 11 months, a whistling noise developed in the engine area. It was brought in for "extensive tests", the dealership hd it for 4 weeks. We were told that a new engine was going to be put into the car.

The engine was finally replaced 3 weeks ago.

Since then things didn't sit right. The noise was still present, service book not changed, engine number on "new" engine same as old engine, when we asked about getting the paperwork completed, we were told that this was in hand.

We have received nothing from licensing department.

We asked dealer was engine changed, given the above, they told us that the new engine had the same number as the replaced engine as it was ordered specifically for our car.

To me that doesn't sound right, are we being fed a load of BS on this?

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - elekie&a/c doctor
A new engine will have the same engine “type “ , eg A20dt , but the serial number will be different. Where have you looked for the new engine number?

We have found the number on the top of the engine, on what looks like a sticker. The number on this matches what is recorded in the service manual, and the license cert as the engine type and number.

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - Chris M

"We have found the number on the top of the engine, on what looks like a sticker."

The new engine will be just that, an engine without the ancillaries such as inlet and exhaust manifolds, starter motor, alternator etc. But also possibly the cam belt cover which is where you will sometimes find stickers. I think the only way to be sure if its a replacement engine is to find where the number is stamped into the block (not the cylinder head). It could be fairly well hidden by all the pipes and wiring.

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - elekie&a/c doctor
Perhaps it’s a “short “ engine. Block and pistons . The cylinder head and top end may be the original.

Thank you all, i will check this.

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - skidpan

When Ford supplied brand new complete Zetec engines in a crate they had no number stamped on them, the dealer who did the work was supposed to stamp the number from the old engine on the new one and remove the number off the old one before returning it to Ford or sending it for sc***. Fords were/are pretty unique since the engine number is part of the VIN. Having a non standard engine number makes the VIN look very dodgy.

Presume Ford do this with all replacement engines.

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - Chris M

I assume Skidpan, there was some form of identification on the engine so that they knew they were sending an engine of the exact spec. required? A sticker on the crate doesn't sound secure enough.

Vauxhall Insignia - Engine number - skidpan

I assume Skidpan, there was some form of identification on the engine so that they knew they were sending an engine of the exact spec. required? A sticker on the crate doesn't sound secure enough.

Sticker with info (inc bar code) on cam belt cover just like the factory fit engine has.