PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - AndrewAUK99

Following on from a previous message

Probably got around £30k for a plugin SUV

Talking to current PHEV owners..anyone got views good or bad on these ?

Audi Q5

BMW X3

Hyundai Tuscon

Mercedes-Benz GLC

Range Rover Evoque

Volvo XC40

VW Tiguan

It would be great if owners know the real day to day MPG value rather than the exaggerated £150+mpg claimed by mosy

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - skidpan

Don't have either of those but do have a Superb PHEV. Its big heavy car but probably better aerodynamically than any SUV.

There is an important thing to remember, the actual MPG you get depends on how often you charge and how long your journey's are.

If all our trips were below 30 miles we would use no petrol and the cost of electricity @ 9.5 p a unit would mean about £1 a charge. with petrol at £1.35 a litre (£6.14 a gallon) we would get 6.14 charges to a gallon thus 6.14 x 30 = 184 mpg.

When we go to the lodge in Scotland we set off with a full tank and a a full battery. We get no opportunity to charge during the week so once the electric is gone the car is driving like a normal self charging hybrid i.e. it recharges a bit on the over run and when braking. For 1,000 miles we normally average about 58 mpg which is better than the 52 ish we used to get form the previous manual 1.4 TSi Superb.

In the real world ours does a mixture of both, in 3 1/2 years its combined average (converting the cost of electric used to gallons + actual gallons) has been about 66 mpg.

Overall very happy with the figures but when I was working with a 30 mile round trip commute I would have been saving far more. 2 directors had Mitsubishi plug ins and never charged them, their saving was the low BIK payments.

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - RT

Day-to-day MPG will vary according to the usage pattern and the proportion of Electric running after a full recharge.

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - DavidGlos
Don’t have any on your list, but I’ve got a Kuga PHEV as a company car. I do charge it as often as I can (overnight and at work). Commute is 30 miles each way, usually twice per week. That’s all covered on electric. Over 50,000 miles, the computer says the average economy is 116mpg, but that doesn’t factor in charging costs.

As per earlier comments, it’ll generally give c. 60 mpg on a run, if you don’t hammer along the motorway. I get reimbursed for business mileage in line with HMRC AFR at (currently) 26p/mile, with the break even point being around 27mpg, so that works well for me, given the c. 60 mpg on a run.

Aside from well publicised 12v battery issues - which seem common to plenty of EVs and hybrids - I’ve had no other issues.
PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - barney100

Just compared an Astra phev to a petrol on one of the sites. The phev is £11 k more expensive but great on economy around town. On the motorway once the battery depletes the petrol is slightly more economical.

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - galileo

Just compared an Astra phev to a petrol on one of the sites. The phev is £11 k more expensive but great on economy around town. On the motorway once the battery depletes the petrol is slightly more economical.

£11K would buy a lot of petrol, about 1700 gallons at current prices.

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - Adampr

The difference in list price is about £5,500. Are they struggling to shift the petrol ones?

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - barney100

£11k difference is quoted, just had another look.

£11k difference is quoted, just had another look.

GS PHEV -£37,935

GS Petrol Auto -£31,355 (£6,580 less)

GS Petrol MHEV Auto - £32,330 (£5,605 less)

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - Terry W

Assume petrol at 40mpg at £1.45 per litre = 16p per mile

Assume electricity at 4 miles per kwh at 28p per kwh = 7p per mile

To recover a £6000 premium for electric through fuel savings of 9p per mile would take 66000 miles.

How long it would take depends on annual mileage, the mix of short and long journeys, and the price paid for recharging.

Assume an annual mileage of 12000. Full EV would take 5-6 years. For a PHEV probably materially longer - say 8-12 years.

PHEV makes sense only if a company car with favourable benefit in kind treatment, or for those needing the assurance of quick unlimited range. With two propulsion units it carries a weight and complexity burden.

PHEV Owners - Car Advice ? - Xileno

I quite like the idea of running on electric for local journeys especially in town to minimise local pollution but have the ICE for where longer range is more convenient.

I quite like the idea of running on electric for local journeys especially in town to minimise local pollution but have the ICE for where longer range is more convenient.

Indeed, that's the appeal for me. And the ability to charge overnight and always have 'fuel' for any local errands that need sorting.

Assume petrol at 40mpg at £1.45 per litre = 16p per mile

Assume electricity at 4 miles per kwh at 28p per kwh = 7p per mile

To recover a £6000 premium for electric through fuel savings of 9p per mile would take 66000 miles.

How long it would take depends on annual mileage, the mix of short and long journeys, and the price paid for recharging.

Assume an annual mileage of 12000. Full EV would take 5-6 years. For a PHEV probably materially longer - say 8-12 years.

PHEV makes sense only if a company car with favourable benefit in kind treatment, or for those needing the assurance of quick unlimited range. With two propulsion units it carries a weight and complexity burden.

As with EVs, most PHEV owners (other than the BIK exploiters) charge at home overnight at a discounted rate of below 10p per kWh. As the batteries are much smaller, that can be done from full to empty within the four hour cheap window.