Next election - Metropolis.
Care to share how you might vote in the next election?

Me: I normally vote conservative but very unhappy they got rid of Truss and not a fan of this net zero backing, managed decline type of government.Tempted to vote Reform UK, but worried we will end up with a Labour government who will take us back into the EU, or close to.

What a catastrophic wasted opportunity the last few years have been for the Conservatives. Big majority and they fluffed it for some booze. For what it is worth I was not bothered by so-called partygate but evidently enough of the MSM were.

Next election - alan1302
Care to share how you might vote in the next election? Me: I normally vote conservative but very unhappy they got rid of Truss and not a fan of this net zero backing, managed decline type of government.Tempted to vote Reform UK, but worried we will end up with a Labour government who will take us back into the EU, or close to. What a catastrophic wasted opportunity the last few years have been for the Conservatives. Big majority and they fluffed it for some booze. For what it is worth I was not bothered by so-called partygate but evidently enough of the MSM were.

If he had said he had been at a party, and should not have been I'm sure he would still be PM as it would not have become such as issue.

Next election - Xileno

X - none of the above.

The changes I think the country needs are not on offer from any of the parties.

Next election - Adampr

Probably not much of a surprise to any that know me, but I won't be voting Conservative or anywhere to the right of that.

My constituency has changed to encompass more of the rural south west and less of the coastal grannies, so a Lib Dem win is plausible and may receive a tactical vote. Put me down as 'undecided' but doing what I can to get rid of these jokers.

Next election - sammy1

Turkeys voting for Xmas is the phrase. It is World politics today for the real issues. Since when have UK politicians solved any of the problems in this country. Rishi makes enough comments of late on some issues but that is just about it. I read today that we have billions to help Ukraine get back on its feet as though the war was won! 80 majority to get things done and everywhere you look is chaos and the get out of jail cards are Brexit and covid. Devolution has been a total failure so any party who will but the UK back together gets my vote.

Next election - Terry W

My natural inclination is slightly right of centre so would normally vote Tory. My "protest" vote would go LibDem. I have a high regard for the way Sunak conducts himself generally, unlike Boris and Truss were proven completely unfit for office (lying and incompetence).

Harold Wilson said a week is a long time in politics. It may be 18 months to the next election and possible outcomes could still be:

• Tory outright victory is unlikely
  • Labour outright victory is plausible but far from assured
  • Hung Parliament seems most likely with a shift to LD from Tory. SNP will probably be a significant player despite current problems

Any incoming PM and party/coalition will be faced with precisely the same economic and social problems. They will only have conventional political tools - Truss showed what happens with radical ill thought through policies.

Starmer seems a sensible and balanced (with typical political behaviours). Whilst I would not vote Labour, it will make only a marginal difference to policies adopted whoever wins.

Next election - gordonbennet

Blast, on the last sentence of typing a post and we had a power outage.

None of the above, as has been the case for decades.

I refuse to vote for what i am told is the least dangerous of three similar parties who died or were bought decades ago, if you go into a car showroom and they have nothing worth buying you walk out again without buying, why vote for those who deserve nothing other than ridicule and rejection.

Tories are fake conservatives who have conserved nothing, have overseen despite umpteen promises ever increasing immigration legal and otherwise and proved their contempt of party democracy by removing truss to put the globalist/bankers choices of pm and chancellor in place.

Labour mosty despise the working classes and have failed utterly in their duty of providing HM opposition.

I would vote for an alternative who profess to conservative values, but not for anything that involves farage, the final straw was his removal of the brexit party candidates at the last minute last election.

Johnson...i could not give a toss how many parties they had, i expect them to lie they all lie, what people should be angry about is that by carrying on as they did re parties/dalliances they proved beyond doubt they knew there was nothing to fear from the seasonal flu whatever name they gave it to terrify people into compliance, all that has gone on since 2020 was and still is fake, people here should be angry that their govts and institutions colluded in the most outrageous scam ever forced on the country, they should be asking themselves why and who profitted (follow the money, thats where the science is) rather than which of three pointless parties should hold the keys to number 10.

The only thing i can say in Johnsons defence re the last 3 years is he didn't allow/encourage the police to openly attack certain demonstrations (rubber bullets in oz, bank accounts removed in canada) or those who defied the laughable lockdowns and he himself didn't force compulsory medical treatment onto people (austria), however he should have stood firm against his more dangerous ministers who enjoyed their moments of pseudo omnipotence a little too much.

Next election - FP

"... they proved beyond doubt they knew there was nothing to fear from the seasonal flu whatever name they gave it to terrify people into compliance..."

I hardly know whether to laugh or cry when I read stuff like this.

A friend (a few years younger than me) died a slow death from covid in April 2020, before there were effective treatments or vaccines to mitigate the disease. I got it in January 2022 and the effects of long covid wiped out about eight months of that year. I got it again, with more serious symptoms, in February 2023; NHS 111 called an ambulance because of my low blood-oxygen levels, and it was touch-and-go as to whether I would go to hospital, but in the end I did not. Another period of long covid followed, worse than the last time. At the moment I can just about function, but anything involving extended periods of concentration or physical effort is out of the question.

Please do not tell me covid is the equivalent of seasonal flu.

Edited by FP on 23/06/2023 at 13:45

Next election - Engineer Andy

"... they proved beyond doubt they knew there was nothing to fear from the seasonal flu whatever name they gave it to terrify people into compliance..."

I hardly know whether to laugh or cry when I read stuff like this.

A friend (a few years younger than me) died a slow death from covid in April 2020, before there were effective treatments or vaccines to mitigate the disease. I got it in January 2022 and the effects of long covid wiped out about eight months of that year. I got it again, with more serious symptoms, in February 2023; NHS 111 called an ambulance because of my low blood-oxygen levels, and it was touch-and-go as to whether I would go to hospital, but in the end I did not. Another period of long covid followed, worse than the last time. At the moment I can just about function, but anything involving extended periods of concentration or physical effort is out of the question.

Please do not tell me covid is the equivalent of seasonal flu.

With respect, I too have a fundamental disagreement with the science on 'diagnosing COVID'. Note that how unconcerned those at the 'parties' in No.10 and elsewhere were about catching it and the implications at the height of the P(l)andemic and lockdowns? I'm not going to get into any petty spat with you on this. Let's all agree to discagree on that one and avoid yet another thread being closed.

GB was merely putting my point of view. Not trying to score any points against anyone.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/06/2023 at 18:22

Next election - FP

"I'm not going to get into any petty spat with you on this. Let's all agree to discagree on that one and avoid yet another thread being closed."

One might hope that you're not suggesting I shouldn't reply to your comment.

Your “fundamental disagreement with the science on 'diagnosing COVID'” suggests to me that you don’t believe my friend died from it or that I have caught it – twice. And it might follow that you don’t believe long covid exists.

By all means continue to disagree with medical science and to believe what you want. I must say your argument that the parties indulged in by the government during lockdown proves they knew that covid is harmless sounds more like selfish actions on the part of people detached from reality than the admission of a truth that ordinary people were not supposed to know.

Next election - Bromptonaut

I would welcome a LAbour government without reservation.

However, I live in a seat, Daventry, where the sitting Tory has a majority of over 26,000.

Boundary changes will, I think, mean we're in South Northants for the next election but unless that's taken in a chunk of Northampton itself then situation is the same. Tory majority in the old seat was also way over 25,000.

Will need to work out what best option is once the election is declared. Probably a tactical vote for the Lib Dems. That or spoil my paper by writing None of the Above.

What a catastrophic wasted opportunity the last few years have been for the Conservatives. Big majority and they fluffed it for some booze. For what it is worth I was not bothered by so-called partygate but evidently enough of the MSM were.

If it wasn't just a few feckless parties during lockdown. If it were and Johnson had stood at the Despatch Box and said we screwed up big time, events happened, were sorry etc (ie told the truth and shown some serious contrition) then, all things otherwise OK, he'd still be PM.

The truth is that he was never suited to any Ministerial office, never mind PM or anything else at Cabinet level. He lied to Michael Howard about having an affair outwith his marriage. Again if he'd held his hand up he'd have got away with it.

There's ample and plentiful evidence way beyond stuff that titillates what you call the MSM. Anthony Seldon's book, Johnson at 10, contains hundreds of examples of his misbehaviour and inability to do even the most simple tasks required by his office.

He should be in gaol!!

Amazing how, with one or two (thus far) noted exceptions, all of us can't stand any of the established parties, and want the vast majority of our elected politicians (and those aspiring to be from the same parties) turfed out and their parties destroyed.

Like many, I have often in the past held my nose and (perhaps rather naively / foolishly) voted for the 'least wosrt option' - in my case the Tories, when what we should be fearing is the 'managed decline' orchestrated by the mainstream parties, which frankly are just different flavours pushing towards the same endgame.

As some have alluded to, the problem is that many of us - and I suspect even some who say they would 'positively vote for X or Y, would like another option to vote for which fully upheld their views on where things have gone and what we need to do to make a serious move to improve this nation.

The problem is that getting such parties set up and in a position to be a serious challenger at the next election is a very tall ask. It may well come to the point at which things get so bad that events force a big change, and such things rarely happen peaceably. We're lucky in the UK that we've been spared revolutions and civil wars since the time of Cromwell, unlike our continetal neighbours.

What's sad is that things are no better in practically ever other 'Western' nation - some are, in my view a lot worse because they have thus far gone far more in the authoritarian direction as well as the corruption, cronyism and incompetence route.

What has, I think, exacerbated the problems has been the rise in influence and power of the big corporations, investment and 'lobby' groups who effectively now control most Western governments (whatever their prima facie political persuasion), mainstream traditional and social media, academia and education.

Independent political challenger politicians and parties are seemingly finding it increasingly difficult to gain a foothold under most circumstances, unless the powers-that-be significantly overplay their hand, as recently happened in Holland with the famers issues.

Even then, their sudden arrival may not last, given similar 'popular' protest parties have quickly waned (e.g. UKIP here) due to pressure from the Establishment and a lack of professionalism, often because things evolve too quickly for them to cope and adapt / learn from mistakes.

I'm beginning to think that Peter Hitchens was right back in the day (not sure if it was before the 2010 or 2015 General Elections) when he said that Tory voters should've destoryed the party by staying away / protest voting them out so that all the 'wets' and Blairites (Cameroons) could be turfed out leaving the few 'real Tories' and encourage others back to the fold to re-imagine the party back to what it should be. Perhaps a pipe dream, but still.

To a great extent, things are similar in all the major mainstream parties - they care more about the crumbs of power and have little principles - they change policies at the drop of a hat (or maybe as directed or influenced, including via [un]social media), and (like the Tories have been for some time) have no clue how to effecticely govern, are rank hypocrites and liars, which is probably why they don't mind being puppets of the WEF, big business and other shadowy people / organisations.

Essentially they are just actors on a stage pretending to be in charge, return for fame, fortune and a nice lifetsyle lording it over most of us while we suffer.

Next election - Adampr

The problem with the 'party reset' option you suggest, Andy, is that Corbyn tried that (albeit in a different way that you wouldn't like) and the establishment within his party smeared him relentlessly and deliberately lost two elections just to get rid of him.

I would personally like to see all political parties outlawed and either MPs elected on their own strengths or selected at random like jury service. Yes, I know that could lead to all sorts of thickoes and lunies running the country but they can't be any worse than the likes of Michael Fabricant, Liz Kendall, Jo Swinson etc.

Next election - alan1302
which is probably why they don't mind being puppets of the WEF, big business and other shadowy people / organisations.

So why bother voting them if you believe they are all controlled by others? All parties would do the same things if that is true.

Next election - Terry W

UK politics may be no different to most other democracies - some are more authoritarian, more or less centralised, different religious and cultural pressures etc.

Most politicians so crave political power that honesty and integrity are compromised. Political parties are promoted as products - driven by focus groups, opinion polls, populist strategies. Political dogma is now a marketing tool not a philosophy.

The only way a competitor to the existing two party system (sorry LibDems and SNP) will emerge is if they deploy precisely the same strategies as the existing parties to communicate their message - marketing, promotion, advertorials, social media etc.

It won't be a new message - the UK has consistently elected generally centrist parties, just wrapped in a different packing with a political promise of "reformulated", "BOGOF", "improved" , "washes whiter" etc.

We need to deal with things as they are, not as we may wish them to be.

which is probably why they don't mind being puppets of the WEF, big business and other shadowy people / organisations.

So why bother voting them if you believe they are all controlled by others? All parties would do the same things if that is true.

Which is exactly why I won't be unless the new parties 'of the Right' can put their differences and egos aside and coalesce into a coherent force with high quality candidates and policies.

As I understand it, similarly-minded people are doing so in droves, which why the Labour party are notionally running high in the polls, because over a third of Tory voters who voted that way in 2019 will not be voting at all, making the Labour lead look far bigger than their actual support level (by voter numbers).

I'd put good money on the next election having one of the lowest turnout percentages in the last 100 years. Sadly, a great number of people are still intending to hold the nose and vote as they normally do (one way or the other).

I can't understand how most people can put up with the stench of it all.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< Like many, I have often in the past held my nose and ... voted for the 'least-worst option' - in my case the Tories, when what we should be fearing is the 'managed decline' orchestrated by the mainstream parties, which frankly are just different flavours pushing towards the same endgame. >>

There's an inconsistency here - imagining a 'decline orchestrated by parties', while complaining that they all seem unable to manage (orchestrate) anything ?

Just another example of believing one's own Reality is truer than any Real World.

<< Like many, I have often in the past held my nose and ... voted for the 'least-worst option' - in my case the Tories, when what we should be fearing is the 'managed decline' orchestrated by the mainstream parties, which frankly are just different flavours pushing towards the same endgame. >>

There's an inconsistency here - imagining a 'decline orchestrated by parties', while complaining that they all seem unable to manage (orchestrate) anything ?

Just another example of believing one's own Reality is truer than any Real World.

Not really - someone can be both incompetent and be a puppet who does things on behalf of others. After all, not every action by governing parties is 'suggested' (say) by a certain unelected 'organisations' - doing so would make it all too obvious to most of the (naive) public that such people were really pulling the strings and not the elected politicians.

Next election - alan1302

After all, not every action by governing parties is 'suggested' (say) by a certain unelected 'organisations' - doing so would make it all too obvious to most of the (naive) public that such people were really pulling the strings and not the elected politicians.

How would people know the difference between the politician deciding what they are doing and their puppermaster telling them to do it?

After all, not every action by governing parties is 'suggested' (say) by a certain unelected 'organisations' - doing so would make it all too obvious to most of the (naive) public that such people were really pulling the strings and not the elected politicians.

How would people know the difference between the politician deciding what they are doing and their puppermaster telling them to do it?

When asked hard probing questions by the few real journalists left, they have even less credible answers to hand than usual, and often use the same buzzwords and phrases (Build Back Better and suchlike) prepped for them by (say) Uncle Klaus, Evil Tony, Billy-boy and their cronies.

Next election - Brit_in_Germany

Not allowed to vote - there was talk of the rules being changed but I have not heard of anything concrete.

Well I'll be blowed. Checked if there has been a change and the Election Act 2022 gives me back the vote and I am now registered again. Thanks for the thread! (Can we have the Brexit vote again, please, so that I can express my preference?)

Just received notice that my request for entry on the electoral register has been refused. Although the 2022 act gets rid of the 15 year rule, the requires Stautory Instrument has not been published. It should go through parliament in the next session for a 2024 start.

Next election - Andrew-T

Not sure whether how I will vote has anything to do with it, but I am dam' sure that the country (but perhaps not every individual in it) would be better placed in the EU than out of it. All the indications point that way, as (I have to say) I expected. But I don't think that any party which wins (partially or outright) the next election will do a great deal to change things.

Next election - sammy1

I admit to liking Boris. He has been on the world stage and I think has generally served the position of PM very well as indeed have the last few PMs especially Theresa May but they got rid of her! Boris like all politicians laughing all the way to the Bank some more than most

As far as lying is concerned well he has used well chosen words like any professional barrister might and politics is but sparing with words.

Here is Boris's umbrella disaster and I defy anyone not to laugh our King included

Boris Johnson had umbrella troubles again leaving Prince Charles & Priti Patel laughing - YouTube

Next election - Andrew-T

I admit to liking Boris. He has been on the world stage and I think has generally served the position of PM very well ...

Sorry, I don't see how you can expect us to take this statement seriously (tho I grant that he has been on 'the world stage' and did the Radcliffe lady's cause in Iran no good at all). His chief skill is saying the things he knows people will like to hear, then forgetting having said them about a week later.

We don't need that from a leader who wants to be taken seriously. I admit one might 'like' Boris, but not in a position of any importance.

Next election - Ethan Edwards

Some laughable comments on here about dissatisfied Tories voting Lib Dem as a protest. They're even loonier and to the left of Labour. There's probably no alternative to the Tories and that's just unacceptable.

The current Tories have squandered a great opportunity and an priceless once in a generation 80 seat majority. They'll get no support from me, they do not deserve anyone's support. A plague on all their house's.

If Reform stand in my safe Tory seat they'll get my vote otherwise I'll write in none of the above.

Next election - Terry W

Tories may protest vote LibDem, on the basis that:

(a) they are generally nice people,

(b) they may get a few more seats but will never command a majority,

(c) in a hung parliament may maintain some sense of balance, and

(d) they aren't Labour with an extreme loony left (Tories have a loony right!)

Some laughable comments on here about dissatisfied Tories voting Lib Dem as a protest. They're even loonier and to the left of Labour.

I don't think, per Chesham and other byelections taken by the LibDems, that your take on the 'Loony Liberals' is widely shared.

Next election - Andrew-T

Some laughable comments on here about dissatisfied Tories voting Lib Dem as a protest. They're even loonier and to the left of Labour.

I don't think, per Chesham and other byelections taken by the LibDems, that your take on the 'Loony Liberals' is widely shared.

As a centre-right voter by inclination, I think the main difficulty for the LibDems is their lack of any core politicians capable of running with the ball, were they to win an election - and their voters realise that too.

Next election - Adampr

As a centre-right voter by inclination, I think the main difficulty for the LibDems is their lack of any core politicians capable of running with the ball, were they to win an election - and their voters realise that too.

As somewhere left of centre by inclination, the Lib Dems have lost their credibility for a generation by enabling Cameron's government, then betraying the student vote by reneging on their promise to oppose raising tuition fees. Right or wrong, they lost everything they'd gained over the preceding 20 years at that point.

Next election - FP

"As somewhere left of centre by inclination, the Lib Dems have lost their credibility for a generation by enabling Cameron's government, then betraying the student vote by reneging on their promise to oppose raising tuition fees."

I feel much the same, with the exception that I regard myself slightly to the right of centre, but am not aligned to any political party. I voted Tory at the last general election, but in the light of subsequent events, would certainly not do so now.

I agree entirely about the way the LibDems (whom I have voted for in the past) compromised themselves in the coalition with the Tories, so desperate were they to have some sort of power. As an aside, I know the Chesham area well, used to live there and still have friends there; people have a somewhat quirky attitude to politics, with support for the LibDems from the well-off middle-class. I'm not sure it reflects the wider UK.

Labour I cannot see, and have never seen, any reason to vote for.

At the moment I have no idea who I'll vote for in the next general election, though I shall vote, as I think it's one's duty to do so.

Next election - Andrew-T

As somewhere left of centre by inclination, the Lib Dems have lost their credibility for a generation by enabling Cameron's government, then betraying the student vote by reneging on their promise to oppose raising tuition fees. Right or wrong, they lost everything they'd gained over the preceding 20 years at that point.

I can understand the feeling, but it is rather like deciding never to buy another French car after owning one with a fragile cambelt.

Part of the trouble here is that most voters imagine they are voting for the leader of a party rather than the local candidate - who may in fact have a good record for the constituency. Of course party politics comes into play at Westminster, but too much blame was aimed at Nick Clegg for the failures of Cameron's reign. The coalition would not have lasted very long if he had dug his heels in whenever there was disagreement.

Next election - Terry W

Nick Clegg managed to lead the LibDems to their best result for decades.

He went into a coalition with Cameron - after carefully considering the alternatives.

LibDems were the junior partners. They got some but not all they wanted. No great surprise there. See Guardian article where their manifesto commitments were at least partially met.

How much of the Liberal Democrats' 2010 election manifesto was implemented? | Manifestos 2015 | The Guardian

Personal opinion - LibDem voters were utterly foolish to ditch Clegg (mainly over tuition fees).

Rather than proving themselves a capable of providing competent influence and leadership they consigned themselves to irrelevancy for the next decade. LibDem voters, by deserting the party, did the UK a great disservice.

Personal opinion - LibDem voters were utterly foolish to ditch Clegg (mainly over tuition fees).

It was certainly pretty damn stupid to ditch him over that.

The reality is that the junior part of a coalition can only get so many of their items on the joint programme. Rating the possibility of Electoral Reform, massively increasing tax thresholds etc above loans as a red line was perfectly reasonable. If we'd any experience of coalitions in the UK government people might be more clued up on the art of the possible.

And the person who replaced him in Sheffield Hallam was utterly useless and a crook.

Another example of how elections out of course result in useless people getting themselves into the Commons.

Next election - Andrew-T

It was certainly pretty damn stupid to ditch him over that. And the person who replaced him in Sheffield Hallam was utterly useless and a crook.

That particular example, followed by the behaviour of the Red Wall in recent elections makes me wonder whether ordinary voters in the industrial north of England are capable of serious consideration of election issues. Maybe it is because of decades of habitually voting Labour ?

The last thing we need is adoption of US voting habits, where there have always been only two teams, and the whole event becomes a giant football game (American style) complete with cheer leaders and everything else.

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/06/2023 at 17:15

Next election - sammy1

I would like to know where centre is supposed to be. Politicians go where the wind is blowing, usually out of someones backside. Nick Clegg just used deputy PM as a stepping stone and wrecked the years of gov he was involved in. If the Lib Dems get involved again we may as well have Greta. What is the point of electing members if all they do is toe the party line for the one or two at the top dictating policy. A couple of days ago Grant Shapps announced that there would be no further green energy surcharges on consumers and now Rishi says there will just as we are expecting bill to drop on the 1st July This GOV is as far left as it gets

Next election - Adampr

I would like to know where centre is supposed to be. Politicians go where the wind is blowing, usually out of someones backside. Nick Clegg just used deputy PM as a stepping stone and wrecked the years of gov he was involved in. If the Lib Dems get involved again we may as well have Greta. What is the point of electing members if all they do is toe the party line for the one or two at the top dictating policy. A couple of days ago Grant Shapps announced that there would be no further green energy surcharges on consumers and now Rishi says there will just as we are expecting bill to drop on the 1st July This GOV is as far left as it gets

Grant Shapps being stupid and/or dishonest is hardly noteworthy.

As for where the centre is, it's very hard to define, especially in a country like the UK that is traditionally moderate and has such a narrow political spectrum.

I would say that right and left in British politics is generally defined by economic and sociological approach. The left tends to be more about limiting individual wealth through tax to provide services and support the vulnerable, the right is more about creating the opportunities for people to create their own wealth so that they can buy the services and support they might need (and not spend money on what they don't). The centre is about finding the balance between these two; maintaining freedom and opportunity whilst also ensuring the health and wellbeing of everyone.

If you think this Government is as left as it gets, Pol Pot and Chairman Mao beg to differ.

Next election - sammy1

I would say that right and left in British politics is generally defined by economic and sociological approach. The left tends to be more about limiting individual wealth through tax to provide services and support the vulnerable, the right is more about creating the opportunities for people to create their own wealth so that they can buy the services and support they might need (and not spend money on what they don't). The centre is about finding the balance between these two; maintaining freedom and opportunity whilst also ensuring the health and wellbeing of everyone.""

Well by your definition that makes our present GOV very much to the left and robbing conservative voters blind!

Next election - Adampr

Well by your definition that makes our present GOV very much to the left and robbing conservative voters blind!

Not really. At least Conservative voters voted for this shambles. The rest of us just have to put up with it.

It really isn't doing the robbing folks blind bit - and all things equal your voting history/intention make no difference.

Sunak, rightly or wrongly, believes in something like Mrs T's household budget analogy.

I'm in the up to a point group with that; in so far as borrowing governments are dependent on the 'kindness of strangers' I can see how (eg Truss) things can go south very fast indeed.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/06/2023 at 01:15

Next election - mcb100
No idea where I stand in the overall scale of things.
I seem to have been standing roughly in the same place all my adult life, but I’ve simultaneously migrated from right of centre to left of centre, simply by dint of the notion that the centre has moved to the right.
I did vote Conservative up until June 2016, but I’m not falling for that con trick again.

Edited by mcb100 on 25/06/2023 at 19:28

Next election - Terry W

Extreme left may be characterised by:

• nationalise all public and critical services - energy, water, banks, transport
  • close private education and health care
  • heavy taxation of higher incomes and wealth taxes
  • rent controls
  • basic minimum income for all
  • philosophy - a fairer society should support the whole community

Extreme right may be characterised by:

• private health care and education default - minimal basic services for others
  • low taxation
  • minimal public services
  • minimal means tested benefits
  • philosophy - that which you earn is yours to spend

Compromise rules as no party stands any real chance of victory at the extremes - despite the way in which the media chose to report different policies.

Next election - Andrew-T

Extreme left may be characterised by:

Extreme right may be characterised by:

Compromise rules as no party stands any real chance of victory at the extremes - despite the way in which the media chose to report different policies.

Regarding politics as left / right (i.e. one-dimensional) makes it hard for the electorate to focus on more than two 'major' parties. Or in other words, alternatives such as LibDem, Green and others who would regard 'middle-of-the-road' as a fertile source of support, cannot claim a point on that spectrum.

Maybe only the extremists feel strongly enough to get involved in the arguments ....

Next election - movilogo

not a fan of this net zero backing

Is there any party left who does not support net zero?

I don't know whom to vote, there is no party which is really different from others.

The FPTP is a big problem. We need PR system.

not a fan of this net zero backing

Is there any party left who does not support net zero?

I don't know whom to vote, there is no party which is really different from others.

The FPTP is a big problem. We need PR system.

Reclaim, and possibly UKIP if its still in existence, whether there will be any of the alternatives standing in your area remains to be seen.

The uniparty will be voted in tribally, and once again those votiing for more of the same will wonder why more of the same is the result, its been going on for 30 years or more since the parties all fell under the spell of one Anthony Blair.

Next election - Vroom78

I mean do you want the mumps or the measles is what it comes down to. I don't think I would ever vote tory but somebody having Sir as a title can't really claim to be a man of the people. I have never voted in my life but i do think the Torys have done so much damage and wrecked so many peoples lives and are a shambles for their whole time, that I will suck it up and vote Labour just to sent a message that we are not going to tolerate it and let them get away with shoddy leadership and wrecking the country.

I mean do you want the mumps or the measles is what it comes down to. I don't think I would ever vote tory but somebody having Sir as a title can't really claim to be a man of the people. I have never voted in my life but i do think the Torys have done so much damage and wrecked so many peoples lives and are a shambles for their whole time, that I will suck it up and vote Labour just to sent a message that we are not going to tolerate it and let them get away with shoddy leadership and wrecking the country.

Voting for a party / leader that will wreck things a little quicker isn't really 'sending a message'. What would do is ordinary people get together and properly form new coherent political parties, stand against the long-established ones and beat them at their own game.

There won't be any more opportunity for the mainstream parties to 'earn their lesson' and behave responsibly - because the entire system has been corrupted and I think now is the 'last chance saloon' for making any meaningful changes that will set the Western world straight and stop its (perhaps permanent) collapse.

Protest votes are only worthwhile if a) politicians listen and properly change (which they overwhleming don't), and b) the party / person you vote for would do things no worse (and hopefully better) than the one you'd previously been voting for.

Sadly I don't think most normies realise (and some care) how close to the precipice we are now. Remember that many people voted New Labour in 1997 as a big protest against the Tories, and as a result, politics went in the direction it is today - i.e. far, far worse.

Next election - corax
Sadly I don't think most normies realise (and some care) how close to the precipice we are now. Remember that many people voted New Labour in 1997 as a big protest against the Tories, and as a result, politics went in the direction it is today - i.e. far, far worse.

So the tories have had no say in the direction of politics, even though they have been in power for the last 13 years?

So the tories have had no say in the direction of politics, even though they have been in power for the last 13 years?

Unfortunately all too often their politicians, including PMs and cabinet ministers were / are in thrawl (and still are today) to 'Saint Tony' and his philosephy. These aren't 'real' conservatives, and similarly many Labour MPs aren't what you'd call 'propper socialists' or 'social democrats' (which would be leaning more to what the LibDems purport to be).

The Greens are essentially a weird combination of champagne socialists (middle and upper middle class treny professionals who can afford to 'go full-on green' whilst not sacrificing their cushy lifestyle) and near enough communists who don't like the modern industrialised world and want what the Labour socialists do but without the industry that is Labour's original power base.

The Lib Dems just change their tune to whatever locally or nationally gets them into office, often being VERY contradictory across the UK in terms of policy stances. I think their support now comes from the same middle and upper middle class professionals (often retired types) as the Greens but in relaity prefer to keep their not-very-green habits whilst pontificating to everyone else to do without.

In my rural area they are gaining votes and councillors off the Tories who are clueless as to what their base wants and often just do what the national leadership tells them to. Helped by a significant and grqoing disenfrsnchisemnet with (real) Tory votes like yours truly who won't be voting for them any time soon but who don't have any credible alternative (yet) to vote for.

I've come to realise over the last decade, and especially in the last 5 and particularly 3 years that the overwhelming majority of politicians and people involved in running our country (nationally and locally at all levels) do not have the general public's interests at heart. They are just different flavours of rubbish and a good amount corrupt / in the pocket of powerful / wealthy vested interests who are far worse.

A shame most if not all other Western countries are like that (and almost all others) and thus no point in emigrating, at least for the time being. A few glimmers of hope, but way too early to think things can be turned around for the better, whether here or elsewhere, especially when the overwhleming majority of normies continue to carry on as before.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< Voting for a party / leader that will wreck things a little quicker isn't really 'sending a message'.

Agreed.

<< What would do is ordinary people get together and properly form new coherent political parties, stand against the long-established ones and beat them at their own game. >>

If you seriously believe this could or would happen, by now you should have started it yourself. I suspect that most people savvy enough to straighten out the political system are also savvy enough not to get involved in it.

<< Voting for a party / leader that will wreck things a little quicker isn't really 'sending a message'.

Agreed.

<< What would do is ordinary people get together and properly form new coherent political parties, stand against the long-established ones and beat them at their own game. >>

If you seriously believe this could or would happen, by now you should have started it yourself. I suspect that most people savvy enough to straighten out the political system are also savvy enough not to get involved in it.

There's a big difference between people such as myself who have some skill at identifying problems and, to some extent, helping formulate solutions or at least willing to discuss such things and having the ability to publicly put across a coherent message with charisma (but honestly and humbly) and be able to stand up in front of an audience and the media to easily defend policies and show up those questioning them for their deficiencies.

Those sort of people rarely come along. I am much better suited to being a behind-the-scenes person dealing with ideas (why I got into engineering in the first place) rather than the sales person / front man / public debater. For me, useful discussions about policy need to be amongst people who don't have any agenda or grudge to bear aginst the other participants, which rules me out from front line politics.

I suspect that the right people for that will need either some coaxing to put themselves forward and/or some big event (even more so than over the last few years) for them to essentially say 'right, I've had enough - I'm doing this because things have gone too far', especially if they or especially those they love are now risking a LOT due to the negative direction society in the West is going.

Next election - Terry W

The perception of politicians (as a group) as dishonest, opportunist, lacking integrity, incompetent, etc is understandable.

By contrast, those I have met personally from both sides of the political divide seem entirely decent and well meaning.

It is not be that the corrupt chose a political career, but politics corrupts most who enter.

Ambition for electoral success dominates the policies and how they are communicated.

The media seem to prefer the inconsequential comic book school of journalism that attracts maximum readership generating maximum revenue, not journalistic integrity.

The "right" people - clearsighted, honest, capable etc - will not thrive in politics. They will be forced through public opinion and media reporting to adopt "standard politician operating procedures" or lose the next election.

Next election - Andrew-T

The perception of politicians (as a group) as dishonest, opportunist, lacking integrity, incompetent, etc is understandable. By contrast, those I have met personally from both sides of the political divide seem entirely decent and well meaning.

I am sure they are. But when they start swimming in the political pond, they gradually discover that it is very hard to achieve any of the bold promises they (may) have made.

The perception of politicians (as a group) as dishonest, opportunist, lacking integrity, incompetent, etc is understandable. By contrast, those I have met personally from both sides of the political divide seem entirely decent and well meaning.

I am sure they are. But when they start swimming in the political pond, they gradually discover that it is very hard to achieve any of the bold promises they (may) have made.

Also, many politicians are good at giving the impression of being worthy, at least on a one-to-one basis under no pressure from a larger group and/or the media.

After all, PR is what most MPs do most of the time - telling a person what they want to hear. It's their other actions that really matter, rather than fine words when they're on their best behaviour.

It's why I have little trust in MPs (or candidates) who are legal professionals, have worked in the media or sales / PR, and especially those who are 'professional politicians' who've never had a real-world job.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< It's why I have little trust in MPs (or candidates) who are legal professionals, have worked in the media or sales / PR, and especially those who are 'professional politicians' who've never had a real-world job. >>

Ah, now you are into personal opinion - what you consider to be a 'real-world job', and by implication what you consider is not. I'm sure many politicians would have very different perceptions from yours (as I think a few of us here do) :-)

Next election - alan1302

It's why I have little trust in MPs (or candidates) who are legal professionals, have worked in the media or sales / PR, and especially those who are 'professional politicians' who've never had a real-world job.

Why do you need to trust an MP when as youv'e said before they have no power anyway and just doing what they have been told to do?

Why do you need to trust an MP when as youv'e said before they have no power anyway and just doing what they have been told to do?

They only have little power because they choose not to use what they have, mainly return for 'compensation' in other areas, including after they end their political career.

If they actually chose to properly wield power (e.g. as Ron DeSantis does in Florida in the US) and as per their principles (how many MPs here have them?), then as he's shown, they could achieve a great deal and avoiding certain 'influential figures' or organisations having any effect on them - in fact, quite the opposite in his case.

My point is that most politicians wield power poorly, often on behlf of vested interests they are beholden to, mainly because they don't have any worthwhile principles and are hypocritical and corrupt, never mind incompetent for the most part.

I can entirely understand your point as it relates to those with a career path of University (Oxbridge PPE or not) via working for their party, up to and including SPADs, then straight to a parliamentary candidate. Even if the first seat they're up in is a no hoper.

Legal professionals in the form of Solicitors or Barristers who've risen through, or remained in, the ranks should have seen enough of the world to be as grounded as anyone else. Selling houses, cars or groceries ain't the same thing as PR. Media/reporting is a mixed bag. There have been plenty of journalists from both TV/radio and print media who were OK MPs. WH Deedes and Austin Mitchell to name but two.

ABdeP Johnson is the one who let the side down massivley from that profession.

I can entirely understand your point as it relates to those with a career path of University (Oxbridge PPE or not) via working for their party, up to and including SPADs, then straight to a parliamentary candidate. Even if the first seat they're up in is a no hoper.

Legal professionals in the form of Solicitors or Barristers who've risen through, or remained in, the ranks should have seen enough of the world to be as grounded as anyone else. Selling houses, cars or groceries ain't the same thing as PR. Media/reporting is a mixed bag. There have been plenty of journalists from both TV/radio and print media who were OK MPs. WH Deedes and Austin Mitchell to name but two.

Unfortunately the quality of people from such professions sitting in the HoP, especially The Commons has deteriorated considerably since the days, several decades ago, when members were rightly deemed 'honourable'.

I would concur that there have been many MPs, some whom I personally disagree on many fundamentals but whom are otherwise decent, hard working people. A few are left there, but sadly precious few.

I think that anyone - myself included - could easily have a sit-down chat / debate on issues in a respectful manner, despite such differences. It's often telling how well most MPs conducted themselves in such matters prior to the changes in politics that occurred in the 1990s generally, epsecially when 'spin' and the 24-hour news cycle came to the fore in politics.

I'd say that he isn't anywhere near alone on that score, and is been conveniently used as the proverbial 'fall guy' for the misdemeanors of many politicians and officials (of all hues and levels), especially in recent years.

Very few truly 'honourable members' left in Parliament I'm afraid to say. Also a great number who don't know their backside from their elbow on issues they should be very knowledgeable about and have worthwhile policies.

Why so many appear to need vast teams of 'advisors', and why I stand by my point about many not having much (if any) connection to 'the real world' via their previous careers.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 30/06/2023 at 13:07

Next election - Terry W

It is the media circus which corrupts political behaviour. Other less public activities seem to be undertaken by MPs generally with integrity, decency and intelligence.

Examples would be the Privileges Committee reporting on the behaviour of Boris and cronies, Sue Gray report, and select committees whose activities are often screened.

That is not to say the inadequate, unpleasant, dishonest, self serving etc do not exist, but are probably a smallish minority.

In many ways UK politics is broken. Ministers:

• will rarely be expert in their particular department.
  • will be reliant on their experienced senior staff for both advice and implementation
  • do not need to know the price of a loaf of bread, lived in poverty etc to empathise or act appropriately
  • do need to be able to rapidly assimilate complex information, motivate staff, provide clear leadership, influence others in senior roles etc

I wonder sometimes why anyone willingly serves as a minister. They carry the can for that over which they have limited knowledge or control, earn a modest salary, and spend their entire life beset by an intrusive media.

Did the problem start with Blair's Babes? Only their gender counted, not whether they were suitable to be MPs.

Next election - Adampr

Did the problem start with Blair's Babes? Only their gender counted, not whether they were suitable to be MPs.

I think it's unlikely that less than a quarter of all Labour MPs in 1997 being female has much to do with it

Maybe but until then the tradition was for the local party to select the best candidate rather than have a selection forced upon them.

Unfortunately the quality of people from such professions sitting in the HoP, especially The Commons has deteriorated considerably since the days, several decades ago, when members were rightly deemed 'honourable'.

While I'd tend to agree that, for an example, lawyer MPs are not of the class they were 40-50 years ago it's easy to see the past through rosy spectacles. But then again many MPs well into the eighties were Honourable and Gallant Members having served in WW2 etc.

The Tories had 'Knights of the Shires' who at least knew how to treat their domestic staff and a lot of Labour people were from a union background.

The real thing today is the number, on both sides, who'd no real career history between University and selection for a safe seat.

I'd say that he isn't anywhere near alone on that score, and is been conveniently used as the proverbial 'fall guy' for the misdemeanors of many politicians and officials (of all hues and levels), especially in recent years.

Johnson should never have got near a safe seat or even a winnable one and certainly not after his record for spaffing money while Mayor of London. It's not just Max HAstings' account; there were dozens of others who could articulate his lyingand his inability or lazy unwillingness to grasp simple facts etc. The recently published 'Johnson at 10' by Anthony Seldon is choc a bloc with stuff BoJo didn't grasp - even stuff like the meaning of the Single Market.

Very few truly 'honourable members' left in Parliament I'm afraid to say. Also a great number who don't know their backside from their elbow on issues they should be very knowledgeable about and have worthwhile policies.

As above far too many seem not to know their backsided from a hole in the ground.

So far as the governing lot are concerned Johnson's alienating or defenestration of decent competent people like Phil Hammond, Amber Rudd, Kenn Clarke etc etc left a desperately shallow talent pool.

He and Truss are both summa cum laude examples as to why party members should not get near electing a party leader when that effectively appoints a PM.

Labour were little better electing first (arguably) the wrong Miliband and then having MP's who seemed not to understand what they were doing allowing Corbyn's supporters to get him nominated in 2015.

He would have been a better PM than Johnson though,

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/08/2023 at 16:58

Next election - Vroom78

Voting for a party / leader that will wreck things a little quicker isn't really 'sending a message'. What would do is ordinary people get together and properly form new coherent political parties, stand against the long-established ones and beat them at their own game.

There won't be any more opportunity for the mainstream parties to 'earn their lesson' and behave responsibly - because the entire system has been corrupted and I think now is the 'last chance saloon' for making any meaningful changes that will set the Western world straight and stop its (perhaps permanent) collapse.

Protest votes are only worthwhile if a) politicians listen and properly change (which they overwhleming don't), and b) the party / person you vote for would do things no worse (and hopefully better) than the one you'd previously been voting for.

I agree with you but that can't happen by next election so the question is in relation to that, and probably what should happen in the short term, Kier Starmer or however you say it as purged labour of all the working class values anyway, i am not holding out much hope. What you say about people getting it together, is a great idea but only in theory, money talks about people disagree on stuff all the time and and can be divided easy, the best you can do is grass roots movements in local communities but beyond that i don't hold on to much hope.

I mean do you want the mumps or the measles is what it comes down to. I don't think I would ever vote tory but somebody having Sir as a title can't really claim to be a man of the people.

A knighthood, allowing a man to call himself Sir, is an honour.

It's usually awarded for service of one form or another whether actually in the public service or doing well in their business. That might be like Starmer as Director of Public Prosecutions, as an entertainer like Rod Stewart or Elton John or being a leader in the charitable sector.

I guess a rock star or a well known actor might be monied enough to have ceased to be of ordinary roots. Less sure if that's true of somebody who has climbed the career ladder in law.

Baronets - hereditary knights - are a different thing. George Osborne for example will inherit a Baronetcy upon the death of his father.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 22/08/2023 at 09:38

Next election - SLO76
I’m tired of all of the constitutional upheaval and instability of the last 30yrs. In Scotland we’ve seen jobs flood out of the country thanks to the constant threat of so-called independence, my last job working for a small model making and prototype engineering firm went south of the border thanks to this along with the larger electronics firm nearby. Neither could risk investing in the sites when we didn’t even know what currency we’d be using if the SNP got their way. There are few manufacturing jobs in Scotland now and I fully understand why no one wants to invest up here with the Scottish Executive (not government) doing everything they can to create unrest and to divide our nation.

Needless to say I won’t be voting for the SNP, but I also didn’t support Brexit either (we would’ve been out in 2014 if the SNP had won the referendum) which has increased costs on businesses and increased prices plus we are in exactly the same position as I said we would be in, we now have to abide with legislation set by the EU to access their market but we no longer have any say over it. We are hugely reliant on trade with the EU as by far our largest market yet now we have no voice over its governance.

We need stability and longterm planning and I’m not confident in any of our political parties that they can offer this. They’re all populist, all in it for themselves rather than the nation as a whole. I am traditionally centre right, I want people in power who understand business, who know how to turn a profit and create jobs and prosperity, people who’ve a successful track record in the private sector first, I don’t want some career left wing politician or shop steward with zero understanding of this in power.

The Tories need to get a grip and offer long term stability and slash the state to offer less interference in our daily lives and lower taxes to attract business and jobs plus allow the working people to keep a bit more of what they earn. Our taxes are far too high, energy costs are crippling (and the government are doing nothing) for business and individual alike. Businesses are closing down everywhere due to crippling costs both of goods and in energy yet no one in Holyrood or Westminster seems to care.

We also need one last referendum up here in Scotland, a vote to keep or close the Scottish parliament. It has been a podium for nationalism, it has created division and hate the likes of which we simply didn’t see before its existence, the nationalists were a minority fringe of tartan wearing loons before the dishonest Salmond and Sturgeon (both who left office under police investigation) made them mainstream. Since the majority of Scots vote for unionist parties I suspect there might well be a vote to end the talking shop In Edinburgh. The vast bulk of the people I know certainly would like to see it gone.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/07/2023 at 10:22

Next election - Sofa Spud

Our next election is in a few weeks time because our MP was one of those Tories who resigned, forcing a by-election. I will be voting for the party that is most likely to defeat the Tories, which in our case is the LIb Dems..

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/07/2023 at 12:06

Next election - Andrew-T
Our taxes are far too high, energy costs are crippling (and the government are doing nothing) for business and individual alike..

Most of what you say is true. Unfortunately those taxes are needed to keep big things like the NHS running, which a large part of the population cannot imagine living without. If you have a suggestion how to fund that with low taxation, let's hear it.

It looks as though someone may have to work out how to deprivatise the water companies too, which could cost a bit, especially with much of them foreign-owned.

Next election - SLO76
“ Most of what you say is true. Unfortunately those taxes are needed to keep big things like the NHS running, which a large part of the population cannot imagine living without. If you have a suggestion how to fund that with low taxation, let's hear it.”

I have no beef with funding the NHS through taxation, though I believe a small fee for prescriptions (in Scotland) would cut unnecessary waste. It’s the huge amount of waste within the public sector I’d like to see cut. Lower taxes don’t necessarily mean lower government revenues either, tax cuts if done correctly will increase economic activity and employment and thus increase tax returns. It’s not as simplistic as higher taxes mean more money for government spending, often higher taxes can cut it.
Next election - sammy1

SLO76 Ditto for me in Wales. Nearly everything wrong here from the NHS and dentistry which is worse than in England to no more road building and the same old excuses. Devolution ie a self governing country you would think an Ideal opportunity to put right a lot of what might be wrong in the UK. But no point at all, all we have is very left wing lot and another talking shop to govern a population of only 3 million. A lot of local councils in England manage a higher population in often better ways. Don't get me started again on the 20mph. This policy is a sure fire way to put off investment to Wales. But still you can only do about 20 on the countries only motorway as it is jam packed all the time. The Wales Gov bought its own Airport in the south which is another money pit besides all the mistakes giving money away like water to any foolish project that takes its fancy. The last one that springs to mind is some £10million wasted on a race circuit about 1000feet above sea level which never came to out. An now Wales is talking about its own Income Tax, how this is going to work beats me. Then we have the millions spent supporting the language. Sad to say but no other party seems to stand a chance as large blocks of the countries main population areas vote the same as their great great grandparents! Leaders with big egos and little interest in the populations overall benefit.

Next election - groaver

I respectfully disagree with almost everything you've written, SLO76 apart from the point of politicians of all persuasions genrally being in it for themselves and being populist in their nature.

Saor Alba.

Next election - SLO76

I respectfully disagree with almost everything you've written, SLO76 apart from the point of politicians of all persuasions genrally being in it for themselves and being populist in their nature.

Saor Alba.

Two of my closest friends are raging Scottish nationalists, and I love them to bits. Opposites attract an all that. But what’s wrong with yer alba?

Edited by SLO76 on 01/07/2023 at 19:12

Next election - groaver

I could explain in great detail what's wrong with the UK and why I believe Scotland can and should have its own government (not assembly, which it has). Devolution was always a means to show why independence doesn't work. Devolution isn't independence.

I'll write no more as you will have read or heard some of what I could write but I suspect that you like me won't be convinced of the other side. That's okay.

Scotland and its people deserve better.

I think people will have an idea of how I will vote at the next general election. ;-)

It will be like f@rting against thunder.

Next election - Andrew-T

Scotland and its people deserve better.

Without wishing to offend, I might ask two questions :

[1] Why ?

[2] Who do you imagine will provide it ?

Next election - groaver

1. This could take a while. As I said, you can find it all online if you want.

2. The people of Scotland and its government.

Edited by groaver on 01/07/2023 at 20:56

Next election - SLO76
“ Scotland and its people deserve better.”

You’re absolutely right, the SNP administration are an utter embarrassment to Scotland.
Next election - sammy1
“ Scotland and its people deserve better.” You’re absolutely right, the SNP administration are an utter embarrassment to Scotland.

Is Nicola renting the motorhome so others can make use of it or is it still sitting on her mother's driveway? Only another £500k or so to find.

Next election - FiestaOwner
“ Scotland and its people deserve better.”

You’re absolutely right, the SNP administration are an utter embarrassment to Scotland.

Completely agree with that statement.

I felt the SNP started off well in the Scottish Government, with many popular policies.
I voted for the SNP in successive Local, Scottish Parliament & UK elections. They seemed a better bet than the Lib Dems or Scottish Labour.

However since they lost the Independence vote, they have completely lost the plot. They’ve had many doomed policies (A9 Dualling, Ferries, DRS to name a few) which have cost taxpayers and businesses.

Apart from another referendum their only other interest is trying to legislate in areas, which they don’t have powers to do so (as they are devolved to the UK Government). They then spend more of our money challenging the UK government in court.

Their recent pact, with the Greens, haven’t done them any favours either.

Speaking as a Scot, living in Scotland, I’m sick to the back teeth of hearing of another Independence referendum. We’ve had this continually since the 2014 one.

Probably won’t vote for the Lib Dems in the near future, still haven’t forgiven them for propping up Cameron’s Government. When I’ve voted Lib Dem in the past, I never did it so they could vote in favour of Tory policies. They completely chucked their policies (and integrity) out the window at that point.

In common with most scots, would never vote Tory. Johnson is a complete embarrassment.

So that just leaves Labour! At the moment, they seem the best bunch (not that any of the bunch looks particularly good).

Next election - Andrew-T

<< Probably won’t vote for the Lib Dems in the near future, still haven’t forgiven them for propping up Cameron’s Government. When I’ve voted Lib Dem in the past, I never did it so they could vote in favour of Tory policies. They completely chucked their policies (and integrity) out the window at that point. >>

All understandable sentiments, but they end up sounding like throwing toys out of pram. You voted for a party that didn't come first past the post, but which decided that coalescing with the party that did was the least of available evils.

You must do what football fans do - support your preferred team through thick and thin. Most Americans do that, and look where it gets them. The basic problem with politicians is that they have to switch from promising the unlikely (while canvassing) to trying to avoid losing the next election (if they actually win one).

Next election - Adampr

<< Probably won’t vote for the Lib Dems in the near future, still haven’t forgiven them for propping up Cameron’s Government. When I’ve voted Lib Dem in the past, I never did it so they could vote in favour of Tory policies. They completely chucked their policies (and integrity) out the window at that point. >>

All understandable sentiments, but they end up sounding like throwing toys out of pram. You voted for a party that didn't come first past the post, but which decided that coalescing with the party that did was the least of available evils.

You must do what football fans do - support your preferred team through thick and thin. Most Americans do that, and look where it gets them. The basic problem with politicians is that they have to switch from promising the unlikely (while canvassing) to trying to avoid losing the next election (if they actually win one).

Politicians don't have to do that, they choose to because they're self-serving weasels. What they would ideally do is canvass based on their principles, then actually stick to them. If that's not what people vote for, then democracy has occurred.

As for the Lib Dems, they didn't coalesce with the party that was first past the post, but the one that was nearest the post. Having triggered the dismantling of a functional public sectors and, ultimately, the decision to cut ties with our closest trading partners, I would say that was the worst of the available evils.

Next election - FiestaOwner

Knew there was no chance of them coming 1st, but naively thought they had some integrity! But, they effectively became Tories for the remainder of the Parliament by voting through Tory policies! People who voted Lib Dem didn't see this as "the least of available evils".

You must do what football fans do - support your preferred team through thick and thin. Most Americans do that, and look where it gets them.

It got them Trump then Biden! Their system doesn't work either.

The basic problem with politicians is that they have to switch from promising the unlikely (while canvassing) to trying to avoid losing the next election (if they actually win one).

Many, including myself, would call that Lying

Andrew-T, You seem to have criticised what many have written on this thread. However, I can't see that you've answered the initial question.

"Care to share how you might vote in the next election?"

Edited by FiestaOwner on 02/07/2023 at 10:34

Next election - Andrew-T

<< Andrew-T, You seem to have criticised what many have written on this thread. However, I can't see that you've answered the initial question.

"Care to share how you might vote in the next election?" >>

At this point, F-O, I haven't even thought about it !!

Probably won’t vote for the Lib Dems in the near future, still haven’t forgiven them for propping up Cameron’s Government. When I’ve voted Lib Dem in the past, I never did it so they could vote in favour of Tory policies. They completely chucked their policies (and integrity) out the window at that point.

I think there was more to it than that, they we in power to a degree with arguably the worse leader they'd seen, which is saying something.

The Tories forced them to give up tuition fees knowing full well most people would be disgusted and never vote LibDem again, their leader was foolish (or ambitious) enough to go along, it was a clever move by the Tories and the rest is history.

Far as tuition fees go, they had to go because far too many young people go on to further education when its not the best route for many of them, witness how those who left school and showing some nous and work ethic got themselves apprenticeships and learned useful trades are in high paying jobs with many now self employed in their own businesses, trades where they won't be on the scrap heap at 50 even if they are stale male white heteros.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/07/2023 at 08:59

Saor Alba.

I love Scotland and might live their in future if my circs allowed. I too respectfully disagree wholly with SLO.

To my mind devolved government seems to work OK. My political compass is wholly Socialist, in England I've always wanted a Labour Government and vote accordingly. Given where I've lived down the years that usually means voting tactically to get an incumbent Tory out. On most things around the economy. health etc, at least historically, I'd struggle get a fag paper between Labour and the SNP. The so called coalition of chaos of a Labour/SNP UK government seems to me to me to be a dream government as an alternative to a Tory led one.

Next election - SLO76
I find through discussing this issue over the years that many Scots simply don’t understand what they’d be giving up. I have a good friend who requires NHS treatment which is unavailable up here and he is under the care of a team south of the border, another young girl in my sons class at school is in a similar situation and we met them earlier today while they were waiting on their train to London for her care. Independence would lock Scots out of the much larger UK NHS. I don’t want this for myself or my child.

We would also be licked out of the wider UK jobs market. Today I can jump on a bus, or train and head south to take up a job offer if I so fancy, I have access to a national economy based on a population of around 65 million people, post independence I or my child would need to emigrate to the UK if I wanted to access the greater opportunities it holds over a tiny nation with the population which is less than many major cities. I don’t want this for my child.

We’d also be locked out of the much larger UK further education system. My son would need to apply as a foreign student and fully fund his education if he wanted to go to university in the UK. I don’t want his options limited like this.

We’d also lose the stability (though much damaged thanks to Brexit and Covid policy) of the pound. Imagine the crippling cost to a newly started currency of the global credit crisis of 2008 or Covid. Smaller nations suffer far greater economic fallout during global crises than larger ones such as the UK.

We’d lose any capacity to defend ourselves. A nation with a population less than most major cities simply cannot fund viable defence forces. We’d have a token gesture at best and be 100% reliant on our neighbours for defence and for procurement. No Royal Navy ship building would be done in an independent Scotland either thus losing thousands of highly skilled and well paid jobs.

I could go on, there are loads of negatives to independence that most supporters simply haven’t thought through. They’re often blinkered by flag waving national pride over rational thought. There’s a huge economic cost to independence and to what gain? As an independent nation we’d need to slash public sector spending and increase taxes to offset the loss of the current fiscal transfer which sees Scots gain much higher state spending per head than the English receive. This is not sustainable using the Scottish executives own GERS figures. They’ve dishonestly sold Scots a lie that they would somehow be better off financially, we wouldn’t.

The SNP say they’d seek reentry to the EU but even assuming that this wouldn’t be blocked by Spain (thanks to their own constitutional issues) we’d then be leaving one union where we have strong social and economic links with and in which we have a disproportionate voice to join another where we would have absolutely no power over our own fate. One with no common language and substantial cultural differences. It would not be independence in any way shape or form, we’d be economically worse off and our children would be locked out of the UK jobs and education opportunities. I don’t understand why anyone supports it, but I’m glad we live in a nation where it can be discussed without the guns being brought out. Sadly though it has caused much anger and hate between fellow Scots. I long for it to all end, and as a family we’ve already agreed that we will be leaving if it comes to pass, I’m not prepared to limit my sons future for the sake of a flag.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/07/2023 at 15:00

Next election - Adampr

Not particularly aiming at you, SLO, not least because I don't know about your views, but it does surprise me how many people both sides of the border think that Brexit was a good idea but oppose Scottish independence for exactly the reasons you outline.

Next election - SLO76

Not particularly aiming at you, SLO, not least because I don't know about your views, but it does surprise me how many people both sides of the border think that Brexit was a good idea but oppose Scottish independence for exactly the reasons you outline.

This was most entertaining, and confusing during the buildup to the Brexit referendum. The people who were arguing for independence in 2014 were now angrily proclaiming that it was better to be part of a stronger union, the very arguments they shouted down in 2014 were suddenly all very sensible to them and vice versa many of those who supported the union in 2014 were arguing tooth and nail for independence and how it was vital to spit away from our most important market and closest neighbours. I was a tad more stable, I wanted to stay within the UK and the EU. Meanwhile all this never-ending instability is driving businesses and jobs overseas to more predictable business environments.
Next election - groaver

"As an independent nation we’d need to slash public sector spending and increase taxes to offset the loss of the current fiscal transfer which sees Scots gain much higher state spending per head than the English receive. This is not sustainable using the Scottish executives own GERS figures. They’ve dishonestly sold Scots a lie that they would somehow be better off financially, we wouldn’t."

Often quoted that we couldn't afford to be independent.

I wonder why the rest of the UK want Scotland to stay part of it when it clearly costs it to do so?

Ah! It's that old partners schtick. More that binds us than divides us.

Of all the former colonies, how many wish they had remained?

Next election - Adampr

I wonder why the rest of the UK want Scotland to stay part of it when it clearly costs it to do so?

As an English person living in England, I oppose Scottish and Welsh independence because without them we'd have a Tory government every election and be the world's poorest and most rubber dinghy obsessed country.

I'd be happy to hand Northern Ireland back.

Edited by Adampr on 02/07/2023 at 17:10

Next election - SLO76
“ Often quoted that we couldn't afford to be independent.”

Only by nationalists trying to poo poo rational debate. No one of sound mind has said that Scotland couldn’t afford to be an independent nation, the reality of it is that it would be much poorer, less able to withstand global crises and economic shocks plus our children would have fewer options than they do today.

“ I wonder why the rest of the UK want Scotland to stay part of it when it clearly costs it to do so?”

I think the rest of the UK are so fed up with this subject and the preferential treatment we receive from those who distribute tax payers hard earned money that many of them would be only too happy to see us away. Thankfully the choice to leave or stay was ours to make back in 2014 and that should’ve been an end to the matter for at least 50yrs to give us the stability we need.

“ Of all the former colonies, how many wish they had remained?”

Well, we aren’t a distant colony, we were a founding partner in the union which brought huge economic benefits to Scotland. But to directly answer your question, no one really knows as no government of any former colony has ever asked their population - understandable really. There was a private vote carried out by a newspaper in Barbados once which showed a majority in favour of returning to British rule as it was far less corrupt and offered greater rule of law. You can also take for granted that the 7.4 million people of Hong Kong would almost certainly vote by overwhelming majority to return to British rule but I can’t see the communist party of China agreeing to that vote.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/07/2023 at 16:20

Next election - Andrew-T
Thankfully the choice to leave or stay was ours to make back in 2014 and that should’ve been an end to the matter for at least 50yrs to give us the stability we need..

Agreed. But I have always thought that if Scottish independence was under discussion, any referendum should be open to Scots resident in the UK, and non-Scots too for that matter, as everyone would be affected to some extent.

Also if the result was to Leave, it should be without any financial pay-off. Full independence starts straight away.

Thankfully the choice to leave or stay was ours to make back in 2014 and that should’ve been an end to the matter for at least 50yrs to give us the stability we need..

It would have been were it not for the dishonest conduct of the UK government.

One can do many things in our system that wouldn't pass examination in a system with a proper constitution and oversight.

A proper system should ridicule the same party saying in 2014 'if you want to be in the EU you have to stay in the UK' then less than two years later 'if UK, or rather the rest of it, votes to leave the EU you're out too'. If not prevented then at least they'd be properly called out for it.

Instead they got clean away.

And that's the generational change that means once in a generation loses it's bite in a fraction of one measured in normal units.

Next election - Terry W

My concern before Brexit was the UK would lose influence through its membership of the EU and become a medium size, isolated underperforming economy in the NE Atlantic.

This seems to be the outcome - I can identify nothing of significance that has demonstrably improved since exit, nor is there any expectation of benefits to come.

An independent Scotland would be a pimple on top of the unremarkable in the NE Atlantic. The only land border would be with the UK - by comparison the Irish problem is trivial.

Arrangements for dealing with pensions, taxation, import/export arrangements, transport links, border control, residence rights, defence, sharing national debt, etc etc would be an endless and probably confrontational.

Looking back a decade I would have been against dismantling the UK. My view has changed somewhat - I think it would be an very foolish and destructive act for Scotland but they should have a democratic right to choose.

Living in the south of the UK with no desire to move north of the border (bar an occasional holiday) I would support a tough negotiating stance. The UK was ~17% of the EU, Scotland is ~7% of the UK. I would not want the tail wagging the dog!!

Next election - Andrew-T

My concern before Brexit was that the UK would lose influence through its membership of the EU and become a medium size, isolated underperforming economy in the NE Atlantic.

Exactly right. I was arguing with a Brexiteer acquaintance the other day, whose attitude remains unchanged. It was clear to me that he voted for a principle he believed in, not for its rather predictable consequences. Hell and handcarts came to mind.

Next election - sammy1

My concern before Brexit was that the UK would lose influence through its membership of the EU and become a medium size, isolated underperforming economy in the NE Atlantic.

Exactly right. I was arguing with a Brexiteer acquaintance the other day, whose attitude remains unchanged. It was clear to me that he voted for a principle he believed in, not for its rather predictable consequences. Hell and handcarts came to mind.

What so called predictable consequences. A fair majority voted to leave and listened to all the arguments.. WE are quids in not paying in to the club and its dictatorial ways. Although we are still strongly influenced by what goes on in the EU any mistakes we make are down to us. The only gripe I have is that the whole thing is taking too long to unravel and there is probably a lot of truth in the so called blob resisting the change. The immigration situation is a joke, I reckon there is an under the table agreement going on with the EU With modern tech you would think it would be impossible to launch boats from a very limited coastline of France to an equally limited coast in England. How many of these illegal people could we possible send to Africa in any case and the misery that will cause

Next election - Adampr

What so called predictable consequences. A fair majority voted to leave and listened to all the arguments.. WE are quids in not paying in to the club and its dictatorial ways. Although we are still strongly influenced by what goes on in the EU any mistakes we make are down to us. The only gripe I have is that the whole thing is taking too long to unravel and there is probably a lot of truth in the so called blob resisting the change. The immigration situation is a joke, I reckon there is an under the table agreement going on with the EU With modern tech you would think it would be impossible to launch boats from a very limited coastline of France to an equally limited coast in England. How many of these illegal people could we possible send to Africa in any case and the misery that will cause

I presume the predictable consequences are the various economic hardships that were made clear by the remain side prior to the vote. I don't think anyone can deny they've occurred. The debate is whether they were worth it or not. I suppose time will tell.

As for immigrants, the basic fact is that they are economically vital. The government can't say that, so will continue to pander to the anti-immigration lobby with ever more absurd ideas on how to 'stop the boats'. None of these will ever work, nor are they designed to, but they keep people quiet for a while. If you want to 'stop the boats', you simplify legal immigration.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< What so called predictable consequences. A fair majority voted to leave and listened to all the arguments. >>

The deliberately self-inflicted problems associated with continuing to deal with our most important trading partners, not to mention the obviously impossible situation of Northern Ireland. No doubt some were convinced by the artificial and baseless promise of saving £350m a week in payments to the EU

The immigration situation is a joke, I reckon there is an under the table agreement going on with the EU With modern tech you would think it would be impossible to launch boats from a very limited coastline of France to an equally limited coast in England. How many of these illegal people could we possible send to Africa in any case and the misery that will cause

The small boats have nothing to do with current net migration except in so far as, when claims are looked at, they're seen to be well founded and people get leave to remain as refugees.

If modern tech could stop folks leaving one coast and heading for another in dinghys or larger boats folks wouldn't get over the Med would they??

The fact is we need extra people to do stuff like pick fruit/veg and look after old folks and others who can't manage.

Listening to the spokespeople for the so called New Conservatives on the radio this morning had me varying between shouting out their stupidity and ROFLMAO.

Does Miriam Cates understand that Care Work is, for the most part, funded by Government. If we pay enough for the indigenes to do it there won't be tax cuts any time soon but rises.

How do people like that get past application forms never mind selection for a winnable seat?

Next election - Andrew-T

<< The fact is we need extra people to do stuff like pick fruit/veg and look after old folks and others who can't manage. >>

Picking fruit etc is pretty seasonal work, so unless these immigrants are part-time they will need support or other employment in between. I also wonder why we expect people from other countries to look after our old folk instead of doing it in-house, as it were. Basically because many Brits won't work for the poor wages these jobs pay, so why should the immigrants ?

Being forced to take part in a medical experiment saw many care workers leave the industry altogether, both voluntarily and sacked.

The only reason British natives arn't picking veg etc is because doing nothing often pays more than work.

I'm surprised that people on the left would support the deliberate and cynical use of foreign workers to aid in the lowering of wages for some (Tories love unlimited immigration hence the constantly rising numbers), similarly never understood why some unions are so keen on unlimited immigration which absolutely keeps the wages of working class people low, talk about peeing in the wind.

So many of these things are intertwined.

Next election - nick62

An interesting comment piece in the Telegraph of all places, telling anyone in the UK under 50 to emigrate because this country has got so dysfunctional, (behind a paywall):

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/17/under-50-t.../

If only it was that simple for them to emigrate to the EU since the car-crash of Brexit!

The quote...........

"This isn’t helped by the Government’s seeming preference to charge Scandinavian levels of taxes to deliver American levels of public services."

........made me chuckle as I'm a reasonably well-off individual, but have never and will never vote Tory.

How anyone who isn't 'very wealthy' can even consider voting Tory, utterly confounds me. The party of 'Law and Order' cutting 20,000 police jobs and raising taxes to their highest level since WW2 and I've got working class friends who would still vote for Johnson if he was the Tory leader and there was a GE tomorrow. It's utterly bonkers!

Edited by nick62 on 18/08/2023 at 04:34

Next election - Xileno

People have their own personal reasons which may defy logic to others. Sometimes they are not really so much voting for a party as voting against the alternative. I voted Labour in the Blair years but last time Tory as I didn't want Corbyn. I wouldn't consider myself very wealthy, comfortable and managing yes.

There is always a solid group of supporters in any party who just won't vote any other way. Like most people I know a fair number in both camps.

Whoever is in power I can't see taxes going down until we can get the debt pile sorted.

Next election - skidpan

Being forced to take part in a medical experiment saw many care workers leave the industry altogether, both voluntarily and sacked.

Please tell us more about this (or is it another conspiracy theory).

Please tell us more about this (or is it another conspiracy theory).

I'd guess masks or vaccination.

If I'm right others can judge if it's conspiracy or just legitimate opinion.

Next election - Andrew-T

People have their own personal reasons which may defy logic to others. Sometimes they are not really so much voting for a party as voting against the alternative.

I think the Brexit referendum illustrated that many people voted for what they thought was a preferred outcome, without stopping to consider the pragmatic result. In other words nice in theory, poor in the real world.

As has been said many times, Cameron thought similarly. It made no sense, when parliament (elected to make the big decisions) could not decide, to ask the general population, who had even less idea of the best way forward.

As for voting for Boris, a man many voters thought they liked as a person, that also made little sense. When he won, I crossed my fingers hoping that he might learn on the job how to be PM. Fat chance.

As for voting for Boris, a man many voters thought they liked as a person, that also made little sense. When he won, I crossed my fingers hoping that he might learn on the job how to be PM. Fat chance.

Not heard it recently but for a while Times Radio had a regular slot with a 'focus group' type exercise with a cross section of electors.

The number who thought Johnson was a likeable 'man of the people' type with his feet rooted in life as most it live is massively informative.

By contrast several saw Starmer as 'posh' and having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Next election - nick62

By contrast several saw Starmer as 'posh' and having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

And there lies the problem with 'normal' people lapping-up the crap that the likes of the DM and DE print ad infinitum.

Next election - Adampr

Not heard it recently but for a while Times Radio had a regular slot with a 'focus group' type exercise with a cross section of electors.

The number who thought Johnson was a likeable 'man of the people' type with his feet rooted in life as most it live is massively informative.

It's weird isn't it? People think of Starmer as posh because he's knighted and has a weird name. The fact that he was knighted for public service and his weird name is a tribute to a 'proper' labour politician passes them by.

As for Johnson, he got in as London mayor because people thought it would be fun. Then he embarrassed everyone and spent a fortune on nothing. Presumably those who thought he was likeable were from outside London.

Next election - nick62

Johnson is the poster boy for wasting everyone else's money and lots and lots of it to boot.

Edited by nick62 on 18/08/2023 at 12:57

Next election - Terry W

To dismiss the views of the supporters of one party or another as incomprehensible is insulting irrespective of which side of the political fence one sits:

• Brexit - 51/49.
  • Election 2016 - Con 42% Lab 40% LibDem 8%, Others 10%
  • Election 2019 - Con 44%, Lab 32%, LibDem 12%, Others 12%

There are demonstrably a range of views which fairly equally split the entire electorate. Some may be extreme, most formed at least in part by the simplistic rhetoric and partial truths emanating from the politicians we elect.

Fortunately both Corbyn and Johnson are history - what separates them is that Johnson had the opportunity to deliver (and was found wanting) - Corbyn never got close to success so his obvious failings were never tried.

To dismiss the views of the supporters of one party or another as incomprehensible is insulting irrespective of which side of the political fence one sits

I would respectfully disagree. Dismiss might be at the strong end but to question why people vote in a way which seems clearly against their own economic (a Socialist like me might say say class) interests is odd. It's interesting and is worthy of, and must have had, multiple episodes of academic study.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/08/2023 at 21:52

Next election - Adampr

To dismiss the views of the supporters of one party or another as incomprehensible is insulting irrespective of which side of the political fence one sits:

• Brexit - 51/49.
  • Election 2016 - Con 42% Lab 40% LibDem 8%, Others 10%
  • Election 2019 - Con 44%, Lab 32%, LibDem 12%, Others 12%

There are demonstrably a range of views which fairly equally split the entire electorate. Some may be extreme, most formed at least in part by the simplistic rhetoric and partial truths emanating from the politicians we elect.

Fortunately both Corbyn and Johnson are history - what separates them is that Johnson had the opportunity to deliver (and was found wanting) - Corbyn never got close to success so his obvious failings were never tried.

Corbyn got a lot closer to success in 2017 than Milliband did in 2015. He would probably have won had he not been stitched up by a section of his own party.

It's a shame really because, regardless of what you think of his politics, it was a once in a generation opportunity to step away from the establishment.

People have their own personal reasons which may defy logic to others. Sometimes they are not really so much voting for a party as voting against the alternative.

I think the Brexit referendum illustrated that many people voted for what they thought was a preferred outcome, without stopping to consider the pragmatic result. In other words nice in theory, poor in the real world.

You mean why didn't a majroity vote as I did, because my opinion must be correct. Has it occurred to you that many of the great and good (and many below that level of power and influence) have, since that vote result, continued to undermine it and all moves to actually achieve Brexit?

That includes the vast majority of the Establishment and big business (but not SMEs, who make up the majority of the private sector workforce) I suspect you have, but won't admit it.

As has been said many times, Cameron thought similarly. It made no sense, when parliament (elected to make the big decisions) could not decide, to ask the general population, who had even less idea of the best way forward.

Parliament wasn't representative of the public's view on this, and was shown time and again via the efforts to stymie or even outright cancel Brexit, wasn't going to let it lie.

The Tories under Cameron only allowed the vote in the first place in order to lessen the appeal of UKIP at the 2015 General Election (they did just enough) to 'win' (a slim majority without the need for a coalition, and again pretended (many MPs via 'going quiet') before the 2019 election to 'honour' the result, many likely knowing they could easily fudge it afterwards and had the stonking 80+ seat majority, as Labour and the rest would come to their aid even if a majority of Tory MPs (which there wasn't) wanted it done properly.

What the past 25+ years of politics, media reporting and significant power shift from the electorate to them and unelected organisations (including within the Civil Service), Big Business and Billionairres is that we all have been shafted. Very few people in positions of power and influence can be genuinely be said to be altruistic in that period, and especially in the last 5-10 years.

I'd say that we need an almost complete clear out in those areas - from top to bottom, as society is on an increasing downward path akin to what happened in certain parts of Europe in the inter-war period.

The difference this time is that the means of destruction is far greater and swifter, and no-one or country with the means or inclination to stop the rot (many actively encouraging it) before it reaches rock bottom.

Most people don't want to admit they only have themselves to blame, to varying degrees. I suspect such admissions on a global scale will be rather too late to make any meaningful difference, at least in the short to medium term.

Next election - nick62
That includes the vast majority of the Establishment and big business (but not SMEs, who make up the majority of the private sector workforce) I suspect you have, but won't admit it.

I run an SME, I detest Brexit and it's been a disaster for my business, so as per, you're talking cobblers.

I do question why billionaires like Anthony Bamford is an avid Brexiteer, (again this counters your 'big business' theory)? Maybe he has something to hide?

My daughter is currently studying in Europe and her visa has cost her more than £1,500 for two years and a substantial deposit in bank of that country (almost £10K per year) . Before Brexit, she just jumped on a plane with her passport.

Brexit has destroyed a lot of young peoples futures. It's a national embarrassment.

Edited by nick62 on 18/08/2023 at 15:26

I run an SME, I detest Brexit and it's been a disaster for my business, so as per, you're talking cobblers.

In your opinion, but not of many other SME owners and the organisations that represent them.

I do question why billionaires like Anthony Bamford is an avid Brexiteer, (again this counters your 'big business' theory)? Maybe he has something to hide?

A conspiracy theory? What tangible evidence can you present that backs up your claim? I would've thought that business owners want less, not more buraeucracy (which came with EU membership). That the Establishment has so far triumphed in stymieing Brexit rather says a lot about them rather than those who fought (with little respurces or 'official' backing compared to the Remain vote camp) for Brexit from a grass roots pov.

My daughter is currently studying in Europe and her visa has cost her more than £1,500 for two years and a substantial deposit in bank of that country (almost £10K per year) . Before Brexit, she just jumped on a plane with her passport.

Cost 'her'? Don't you mean 'you'? I bet you've lost far more income via the events of 2020 onwards by several magnitudes.

Besides, isn't that the fault of the sour grapes people running the EU rather than us? What does it say about them that they deliberately targeted us as a punishment as regards new rules and regulations (presumably to bully any other nations [e.g. poland or Hungary] into staying in) when they always maintained we were and still are 'f'riends'?

Brexit has destroyed a lot of young peoples futures. It's a national embarrassment.

Comapred to the Pandemic response and many other societal policies and things that have been pushed through and oked by all maintream parties, I'd say that Brexit's impact on the young is minimal at best.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< You mean why didn't a majority vote as I did, because my opinion must be correct. >>

In saying that, I assume you are speaking for yourself. If not, it must be one of your customary snide remarks based on assumptions about other contributors' habits, and a bit more indulgence in your conspiracy theories (for want of a better description).

<< ... many of the great and good ... have, since that vote result, continued to undermine it and all moves to actually achieve Brexit >>

As of today, I think the Brexit that I expected is being steadily achieved.

<< Parliament wasn't representative of the public's view on this, >>

That is commonly the case, but the public usually has stronger (and more accurate) views about their personal futures than about the country's as a whole - which should work to the benefit of all (including their own).

Next election - Terry W

We live in a democracy and have a chance to choose the politicians that we feel can best represent our views at least every five years. Referenda should be unnecessary.

The public is heavily influenced by frequently skewed media reporting, political half truths and omissions, political marketing, and populist policies often incapable of delivery.

Limiting the right to vote only to those who have the intellectual capacity to make rational judgements is a recipe for civil unrest with (probably) better government.

Brexit - IMHO utterly foolish with no obvious benefits evident. Simply, the Brexit campaign resonated, Remain was ineffectual. Democracy means we all live with the outcome.

As an almost 50:50 outcome, to assert that one knows best and the rest must by elimination be stupid is arrogant - one side or the other will be proven wrong, or at least not right.

We live in a democracy and have a chance to choose the politicians that we feel can best represent our views at least every five years. Referenda should be unnecessary.

The public is heavily influenced by frequently skewed media reporting, political half truths and omissions, political marketing, and populist policies often incapable of delivery.

Limiting the right to vote only to those who have the intellectual capacity to make rational judgements is a recipe for civil unrest with (probably) better government.

Brexit - IMHO utterly foolish with no obvious benefits evident. Simply, the Brexit campaign resonated, Remain was ineffectual. Democracy means we all live with the outcome.

As an almost 50:50 outcome, to assert that one knows best and the rest must by elimination be stupid is arrogant - one side or the other will be proven wrong, or at least not right.

Only if we have a genuinely free press / social media (as in proper free speech, not what we currently have or [worse still] proposed after the current legislation in front on parliament) not influenced by wealthy and powerful individuals, companies, 'orgnaisations' and politicians - including I might add, foreign ones that have no business in such matters.

There's a reason why tyrannies come about, and it isn't people being honest about the opinions, motivations and policies.

<< You mean why didn't a majority vote as I did, because my opinion must be correct. >>

In saying that, I assume you are speaking for yourself. If not, it must be one of your customary snide remarks based on assumptions about other contributors' habits, and a bit more indulgence in your conspiracy theories (for want of a better description).

As opposed to you condesending opinions about people you don't think as you do or if a majority deign to not vote as you wish.

Put yourself in the shoes of the people most affected by the policies of the uniparty for the last 25 years, then you'll realise why they now reject the Establishment and want something new, better and to reverse course on where this country has been going since 1997.

<< ... many of the great and good ... have, since that vote result, continued to undermine it and all moves to actually achieve Brexit >>

As of today, I think the Brexit that I expected is being steadily achieved.

Thanks to the Establishment (who still control parliament (including the majority of Tory MPs, not that that's needed, given how the vast majority of 'Oppoisition' MPs and Lord do), not those who genuinely supported leave and had proper plans for what came next.

Unfortunately, our system of politics doesn't allow such people (and no, they aren't 'extremists') to get anywhere near the levers of power.

<< Parliament wasn't representative of the public's view on this, >>

That is commonly the case, but the public usually has stronger (and more accurate) views about their personal futures than about the country's as a whole - which should work to the benefit of all (including their own).

That might be the case if politicians were actually mostly selfless people who actually worked for the benefit of the people and not themselves, 'private' backers and their own agendas. When a selfless MP puts their head above the parapet (e.g. Andrew bridgen), look what happens to them.

Next election - Terry W

It has forever been the case that the rich and powerful have significant control over the media, economy and law. It is not a conspiracy of the powerful to subjugate the powerless, simply that those with the skills necessary to become rich and powerful will tend to dominate.

Asserting politicians only act in their own economic interest is probably flawed. Most could make materially more outside politics than they ever will from it. That they desire public recognition, fame, to be of service, act out of principle is probably closer to reality.

Whether their desires match our aspirations is a different matter - it is that upon which we exercise our vote.

We can all put ourselves forward for election be it local, county or national. Most of us (and I include myself) have at least some missing qualities - intellectual, social skills, sincere insincerity, capacity for hard work, ability to perform for the media etc.

Next election - Adampr

That might be the case if politicians were actually mostly selfless people who actually worked for the benefit of the people and not themselves, 'private' backers and their own agendas. When a selfless MP puts their head above the parapet (e.g. Andrew bridgen), look what happens to them.

Are we talking about the Andrew Bridgen who got suspended for various dodgy dealings long before her started comparing vaccines to genocide?

Are we talking about the Andrew Bridgen who got suspended for various dodgy dealings long before her started comparing vaccines to genocide?

Talk about straw-manning! To say that the 'charges' on both fronts were confected are, in my view, is a big understatement.

He categorically did NOT compare vaccines to genocide - he retweeted a tweet from a Jewish Israeli doctor of high international standing who essentially said, as I recall, that in his opinion, the COVID vaccine coersion and injuries were the worst treatment of human beings (iby total numbers of seriously affected) SINCE the geneocide of WWII.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< As opposed to you condesending opinions about people you don't think as you do or if a majority deign to not vote as you wish. >>

Ah, another unnecessary mild insult, including one more assumption about how I vote. Perhaps you aren't sure what it means, as you can't spell it ? :-)

It is becoming clear to me that Andy is basically an anarchist, as he seems to detest (or at best mistrust) all politicians, and believes most problems in politics are down to the Establishment, whoever he includes in that collection.

Next election - nick62

Engineer Andy, you 'talk' so much I don't agree with it's hard to know where to start.

Before Brexit, if I had to send some equipment to another EU country, it was as easy as sending it to the next town.

Now, if I want to send something to anywhere other than GB, I have to jump through so many hoops, its really not worth my while (and that includes Northern Ireland). But obviously you know better!

And no, the events since 2020 have not made any material difference to my income, as I work in the pharma sector, so was working and travelling unrestricted during this time. Its the events resulting from a day in June 2016 which have had a detrimental on my life, (and that of my offspring).

Edited by Xileno on 19/08/2023 at 21:18

Before Brexit, if I had to send some equipment to another EU country, it was as easy as sending it to the next town.

That.

Exactly.

Johnson hadn't the nous or willingness to understand such things hence where we are now.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/08/2023 at 21:16

Next election - Xileno

For such as contentious range of subjects we've done well to last two months. Let's keep it that way.

Thanks

Mods

That.

Exactly.

Johnson hadn't the nous or willingness to understand such things hence where we are now.

What - you mean that we would be deliberately and unfairly targeted (including comparing to non-EU nations) for just leaving after a democrtaic vote, by our supposed 'friends' and 'allies'?

With 'friends' like that, who needs enemies?

Of course, it's not the people of the nations throwing the toys out of the pram out of spite, but the bureaucrats and EU politicians, both of who are in my view mostly corrupt as well as even more useless than ours, which is quite some feat, especially in the curent era.

Next election - Adampr

That.

Exactly.

What - you mean that we would be deliberately and unfairly targeted (including comparing to non-EU nations) for just leaving after a democrtaic vote, by our supposed 'friends' and 'allies'?

Of course, it's not the people of the nations throwing the toys out of the pram out of spite, but the bureaucrats and EU politicians, both of who are in my view mostly corrupt as well as even more useless than ours, which is quite some feat, especially in the curent era.

Well, yes. I mean, it wouldn't take a genius to work out that telling a series of lies about your neighbours, openly abusing them and damaging their economies is unlikely to predispose them towards kindness and cooperation.

'Not a genius' was sadly beyond Johnson and all the other establishment imperialists that stuck to the belief that the EU needed the UK more than the UK needed the EU.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< ... the belief that the EU needed the UK more than the UK needed the EU. >>

That's the nub, which it seems that a (just) working majority never seemed to question.

Next election - nick62

I'm not sure you actually understand international trade, EA?

The UK now as a third country, to export to the EU is the same for us now as it is for (say) Argentina. The EU haven't suddenly decided to erect special barriers for us Brits to jump over in order to send goods there. Or are you on the 'wind-up'?

On the other hand, the UK customs authorities are either so understaffed (or useless or both), that goods coming INTO the UK from the EU are by and large NOT being subject to any checks from what I can tell. The net result being that we have hamstrung our exporters to the EU, but there's not much change for EU exporters to GB.

Talk about shooting yourself in both feet.

I'm not sure you actually understand international trade, EA?

The UK now as a third country, to export to the EU is the same for us now as it is for (say) Argentina. The EU haven't suddenly decided to erect special barriers for us Brits to jump over in order to send goods there. Or are you on the 'wind-up'?

Really? That's not what I've read., and 'No'.

On the other hand, the UK customs authorities are either so understaffed (or useless or both), that goods coming INTO the UK from the EU are by and large NOT being subject to any checks from what I can tell. The net result being that we have hamstrung our exporters to the EU, but there's not much change for EU exporters to GB.

Talk about shooting yourself in both feet.

Careful about saying customs authorities are useless, given you might find yourself on the other end of an earful from a certain Backroomer. How about blaming the EU for deliberatly adding extra checks out of spite, which IS well documented.

Next election - groaver

Andy, having spoken with many businesses who were exporting pre-brexit, all have said to me that virtually all the issues with exporting to the EU now are of the UK government's making

Next election - nick62

Andy, having spoken with many businesses who were exporting pre-brexit, all have said to me that virtually all the issues with exporting to the EU now are of the UK government's making

Bingo.

After the Brexit vote, not one of my business associates expected us to basically scrap the FTA with the EU. I was not so sure and of course, the worst did happen.

Johnson either didn't have a clue, or didn't care, I suspect it was both.

EA, you need to get out more. The notion that somehow the EU are making UK exports more difficult as some sort of bizarre 'playground conspiracy' is bonkers.

Edited by nick62 on 20/08/2023 at 20:34

Next election - FP

"After the Brexit vote, not one of my business associates expected us to basically scrap the FTA with the EU. I was not so sure and of course, the worst did happen.

Johnson either didn't have a clue, or didn't care, I suspect it was both."

Johnson was driven by his supporters on the far-right, who by and large were/are die-hard brexiteers. Anything that has the slightest whiff of the EU is anathema to them.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< How about blaming the EU for deliberately adding extra checks out of spite, which IS well documented. >>

I don't care what 'documents' you have read, Andy, but it is juvenile to suggest that 'the EU' does things out of spite. They might do things for several other reasons, but I'm sure spite isn't one of them. But of course you would probably suspect that.

Obviously, I don't know what you've read and where.

However, we ceased to be a Member of the EU in 2020 and the transition period ended in 2021. From then on, so far as the remaining EU countries are concerned, we are third country; no different to Japan or Australia.

That's literally what leaving means.

We can, and have, negotiated agreements with the EU. The effect is that, subject to conditions (eg local content of cars) we can export to an import from the EU with no tariffs and relatively light touch arrangements for paperwork.

But that's a long way different from where were before.

If my SME wishes to sell small items of jewellery, perhaps 'Heilan Coo' earrings and brooches, to French folks over the net I've now got a load of paperwork to do.

Previously I'd just have sent them just as I would to somebody in Kent.

en you might find yourself on the other end of an earful from a certain Backroomer. How about blaming the EU for deliberately adding extra checks out of spite, which IS well documented.

I assume I'm the certain backroomer.

The officers who will carry out these checks can be ready as soon as HMG has recruited them and provided the facilities; think space to inspect thousands lorries and their contents every day. The issue is HMG getting the stuff in place and being prepared to deal with the inevitable issues when 'just in time' turns into 48 hours late and there's no lettuce for your salad. .

I know it won't happen Andy because it never does but, for the record, let's see the stuff where this is 'well documented'.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/08/2023 at 22:09

Obviously, I don't know what you've read and where.

However, we ceased to be a Member of the EU in 2020 and the transition period ended in 2021. From then on, so far as the remaining EU countries are concerned, we are third country; no different to Japan or Australia.

That's literally what leaving means.

We can, and have, negotiated agreements with the EU. The effect is that, subject to conditions (eg local content of cars) we can export to an import from the EU with no tariffs and relatively light touch arrangements for paperwork.

As I understand it, the EU have deliberately added extra bureaucratic hoops on inport exports from the UK, over and above other supposedly 'friendly trading partners'.

But that's a long way different from where were before.

If my SME wishes to sell small items of jewellery, perhaps 'Heilan Coo' earrings and brooches, to French folks over the net I've now got a load of paperwork to do.

Previously I'd just have sent them just as I would to somebody in Kent.

en you might find yourself on the other end of an earful from a certain Backroomer. How about blaming the EU for deliberately adding extra checks out of spite, which IS well documented.

I assume I'm the certain backroomer.

The officers who will carry out these checks can be ready as soon as HMG has recruited them and provided the facilities; think space to inspect thousands lorries and their contents every day. The issue is HMG getting the stuff in place and being prepared to deal with the inevitable issues when 'just in time' turns into 48 hours late and there's no lettuce for your salad. .

Perhaps you should being directing your green leaf arguments to the person why deigned to criticise your holy Civl Service colleagues, not myself.

I know it won't happen Andy because it never does but, for the record, let's see the stuff where this is 'well documented'.

Perhaps you would care to provide your evidence first. After all, you've made many more claims about the Civil service never doing anything wrong, except when it's neot really their fault due to 'budget cuts', and 'direction from ministers', rather than just mainly useless employees who just get passed around or their bad deeds swept under the rug (see the Letby case for example) rather than sacked or a lot worse.

Next election - Andrew-T

<< Perhaps you would care to provide your evidence first. >>

That's a most respectful but unconvincing sidestep, Andy. We can draw our own conclusions.

Next election - alan1302

As I understand it, the EU have deliberately added extra bureaucratic hoops on inport exports from the UK, over and above other supposedly 'friendly trading partners'.

Such as?

Next election - nick62

But you don't understand it, because its not true. And what, exactly, has being 'friendly' got to do with it? We're now a third country. The only saving grace is that there is no duty on most goods (excluding alcohol, tobacco, etc.), but you still have to do mountains of paperwork.

I'm sorry EA, I know this will be edited, but you're deluded.

Edited by nick62 on 22/08/2023 at 13:18

Next election - _

Thread has run its course and veered well away from the original topic

MOD.

Where have you acquired this understanding? What hoops exactly apply to the UK and not to (say) Japan?

Perhaps you should being directing your green leaf arguments to the person why deigned to criticise your holy Civil Service colleagues, not myself.

I'm saying the failure to impose checks on goods inbound from the EU is down to government unwillingness to grasp the nettle. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps you would care to provide your evidence first.

You made an assertion about the EU being spiteful. I asked you to stand it up. Isn't that how debate works?

Since you're now deflecting I'm going to assume either there is no evidence or the source is some conspiracy site with zero external credibility.

After all, you've made many more claims about the Civil service never doing anything wrong, except when it's not really their fault due to 'budget cuts', and 'direction from ministers', rather than just mainly useless employees who just get passed around or their bad deeds swept under the rug (see the Letby case for example) rather than sacked or a lot worse.

As to the first part of that I'll leave it at 'whatever'; old ground and I'm not going over it again

On Letby, I think I'll bide my time and see what the inquiry, which I expect to be modelled on that Janet Smith did on Shipman, says.

Far too much commentary is based on what we know once she's been convicted after one of the longest murder trials in English history. What could or should have been done is nothing like as clear cut as it looks in the glow of 20/20 hindsight.