Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - primus 1

A few of my relatives are viewing sky by purchasing a fire stick, then somebody programmes it to be able to view sky, everything, movies, sports, the lot, they also are given a vpn, which shows them in a different country so they are untraceable, I have sky, but I have a contract with them, but will these people who are viewing through a vpn, get found out…?

I think I’ve got the technical details right, but I may be wrong..

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - sammy1

I too have SKY sick of all the repeats on the whole system and angry when a see new customers being offered deals a lot less than I am paying and that is basic. Charge for HD a rip off. Now that summers here only what for about 3hours at best. Probably go to Free Sat as Freeview I do not like. As for illegal viewing I do not know how that works

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - gordonbennet
There was a chap round here, ahem, programming things as you describe, he did a reasonable amount of time in chokey for his trouble.

Gave up the state broadcaster's TV tax a few years ago, long after we'd stopped watching any live broadcasts of any description and long after we'd given up entirely on the legacy media, tv/radio broadcast or rags.

More than enough tat on Prime/Netflix than we have time to watch, you couldn't pay me enough to return to the legacy media, you don't realise just how bad it all was until the blessing of it disappearing from your life.
Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Bromptonaut
Gave up the state broadcaster's TV tax a few years ago,

Let me add, once again, the UK does not have a "state broadcaster".

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - gordonbennet

Unfortunately it does, one that you have to pay for even if you never watch the state service but view any live broadcast from any other media source, the old Soviet Union or North Korea couldn't have come up with a better wheeze.
Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - alan1302

Unfortunately it does, one that you have to pay for even if you never watch the state service but view any live broadcast from any other media source, the old Soviet Union or North Korea couldn't have come up with a better wheeze.

No, it is not a state broadcaster:

Repeat after me: the BBC is a public sector broadcaster | Index on Censorship

If it was a state broadcaster why would they allow new that criticses the government?

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Crickleymal

I too have SKY sick of all the repeats on the whole system and angry when a see new customers being offered deals a lot less than I am paying and that is basic. Charge for HD a rip off. Now that summers here only what for about 3hours at best. Probably go to Free Sat as Freeview I do not like. As for illegal viewing I do not know how that works

What's the difference between Free Sat and Freeview? As far as I can tell it's the same channels give or take one or two.

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - primus 1

Freesat uses a dish whereas free view uses the aerial, not sure if the channels are different, maybe more hd on freesat

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - sammy1

Yes I can connect my dish to a freesat box and not buy an aerial and the hassle on installation. Not unduly concerned about the channels box is about £200 so about 4 months payback. As regards Netflix usually find that it takes about 30 mins to find anything worth watching if at all so that's gone. May even consider just the net

Freesat uses a dish whereas free view uses the aerial, not sure if the channels are different, maybe more hd on freesat

I think there are some differences in the channels, for example I can get BBC Alba on Freesat but not Freeview.

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Bolt

I gather there are more channels on Free sat though I heard its been taken over by Digital UK and, iirc, changed its name to everyone TV, as its all under same company things might change

But the signal should be better by Sat, as an aerial picks up spurious signals as well

I think companies will do something about people getting programs through VPNs as they are not perfect and as the signal ends up going through a main server somewhere anyway so they can be detected and blocked, really depends how desperate they are to stop it occurring, like Netflix

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Adampr

I think there are some differences in the channels, for example I can get BBC Alba on Freesat but not Freeview.

So Freesat is targeted specifically at Gaelic speakers?

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Engineer Andy

No - but freeview uses regional transmitter towers, whereas freesat uses just one satellite, thus the latter presumably has to broadcast all channels at once.

No - but freeview uses regional transmitter towers, whereas freesat uses just one satellite, thus the latter presumably has to broadcast all channels at once.

As above. If I lived in Scotland and received Freeview from a terrestrial transmitter it would include Alba. As I live in the East Midlands and get Freeview from a transmitter in Bedfordshire it does not.

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - alan1302

Freesat is not a broadcaster - it uses existing channels - the same as the ones Sky uses and companies pay Freesat to be on the programme guide which is why there are different channels on Freesat and Freeview. Freesat came about as a way for people to easily get free to air channels if they can't get a Freeview signal.

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Crickleymal

Yes I know that one uses a dish. Apart from that there seems to be little difference.

Everyone’s doing it, so it must be ok, right? - Greendean

I use IPTV, I find it easier and have every channel in the world basically, if you use it with a VPN nobody should be none the wise with both a Firestick and IPTV,