Cisheteronormativity - sammy1

I was reading an article on the NHS as to what might seem acceptable terminology in todays world when I came across the above. At first I thought it might be some new infection or disease that had been found. It turns out that it is NHS speak to describe most of us as being cisgender i.e. identifying as the sex we were registered at birth and therefore heterosexual so if you are referred to as the above shout loudly if you disagree! No wonder you might need a degree in the modern NHS.

Cisheteronormativity - FP

"... it is NHS speak to describe most of us as being cisgender i.e. identifying as the sex we were registered at birth and therefore heterosexual"

Eh? "Therefore"? What nonsense is this?

Cisheteronormativity - Adampr

Cisgender means not transgender. The majority of homosexual people are cisgender. Plenty of transgender people are heterosexual. You could create some puerile argument about 'hetero to what gender" and the answer is that it's irrelevant because, however you cut it,some will be heterosexual and some will be homosexual. Just like everyone else...

Cisheteronormativity - sammy1

Cisgender means not transgender. The majority of homosexual people are cisgender. Plenty of transgender people are heterosexual. You could create some puerile argument about 'hetero to what gender" and the answer is that it's irrelevant because, however you cut it,some will be heterosexual and some will be homosexual. Just like everyone else...

Maybe the end bit "" normativity"" is a clue as to what they are on about.. In any case the full word appears to medical speak, all I know is that it will not fit on a Scrabble board

I must admit that I am completely lost in this modern world of what people are or for that matter were and glad I am out of the working world having to work within it. There are some nightmare reports in the press of teachers and others falling foul of petty rules that did not exist only a few years ago and common sense seems to have gone out of the window. everywhere.

Cisheteronormativity - gordonbennet
Labels labels, not interested, don't understand the obsession.

Who cares what anyone views themselves as, couldn't give a tuppeny one, if people are respectful and decent they'll get the same back with interest, if they arn't they'll not need to worry about me darkening their doorstep nor expect an invitation to dine here.

Cisheteronormativity - Crickleymal
Labels labels, not interested, don't understand the obsession. Who cares what anyone views themselves as, couldn't give a tuppeny one, if people are respectful and decent they'll get the same back with interest, if they arn't they'll not need to worry about me darkening their doorstep nor expect an invitation to dine here.

Yup. Treat me fairly and I treat you fairly, doesn't matter who you are, identify as etc.

Cisheteronormativity - Andrew-T

Cis and trans are Latin opposites, meaning 'this side' and 'the other side'. Cis and trans are used in chemistry to describe the arrangement of molecules. Funnily enough their linguistic derivatives also exist in Welsh : is and traws.

There's knowledge for you :-)

Cisheteronormativity - Brit_in_Germany

So how come Bangor Is-coed means Bangor below the wood?

Cisheteronormativity - Bromptonaut

I'm wary of trying to be an expert after a few minutes cross checking a word's meaning on the internet but...

(A) it's 100% clear the word is used outside of the NHS and that (B) either you or the author of your article has misunderstood or (wilfully?) misinterpreted stuff.

So far as I can see heteronormative covers an implied assumption that everybody lives a heterosexual lifestyle. The prefix cis, I think, adds to that with the idea that we all do our heteronormative living in the sex we were assigned at birth.

Certainly, the term cisgender is used to refer to people who are happy to identify their gender as congruent with the sex they were identified with/assigned at birth and live by the norms of that sex.

That has diddly squat to do with whether folks are heterosexual/straight or not. I know plenty of men, identified as boys at birth, who are happy with that but avowedly and enthusiastically homosexual. I also know women, identified as girls at birth, who are are happy with that but are avowedly and enthusiastically lesbian.

If the sex you were allocated at birth and what you come to feel about the norms for dress, behaviour etc you want to follow ar not congruent that's a different thing from being homosexual/gay/lesbian.

I'd be mightily disturbed if an organistion charged with managing the nation's health/wellbeing hadn't an understanding of these things and the scientific vocabulary to describe them.

Cisheteronormativity - Terry W

This is a debate of the utterly unnecessary, adding complexity and cost to an already stretched organisation.

If we are concerned to establish very clear and precise definitions of sex, gender, personal identification etc there must be a reason for so doing.

The motive can only be to treat different characteristics individually - we may need wards or rooms reserved for several separate groups where currently only two exist - male or female (usually defined by identification at birth).

It would be both costly and complex - and why should sexual orientation be treated differently to race, religion, colour etc.

There may be better arguments for simplifying current arrangements. In a world where equality of treatment and opportunity is demanded by all minorities, why have separate facilities anyway.

The NHS exists to both provide health care to all free at the point of use and prioritised on the basis of need - irrespective of religion, race, politivs, sexual orientation etvc etc.

This is a debate of the utterly unnecessary, adding complexity and cost to an already stretched organisation.

As I've already said I think Sammy and/or his source (MSN?) have not grasped the issue properly.

The term he mentions, cisheteromormativity, seems to be about making some very broad assumptions about how people are living their lives which are not correct at an individual level. We need to grasp that life ain't that simple. Doing so needn't add complexity and cost; it might avoid conflict and make things simpler.

I don't think that, beyond using appropriate language, dealing with sexual orientation is an issue. Is anyone bothered if one of their ward mates is gay?

OTOH mixed sex wards have been a massive issue for the NHS. There's a cohort out there who have a problem with transwomen on female wards.

To me, with proper though about privacy etc, neither of those things are a massive problem but they are for some.

''' There's a cohort out there who have a problem with transwomen on female wards'''

An extremely reasonable point of view from women, and their fathers for whom their daughters will always be defended to the death, we've already seen what can happen under wee jimmie krankies disastrous reign in a Scottish womens prison.
Cisheteronormativity - groaver
''' There's a cohort out there who have a problem with transwomen on female wards''' An extremely reasonable point of view from women, and their fathers for whom their daughters will always be defended to the death, we've already seen what can happen under wee jimmie krankies disastrous reign in a Scottish womens prison.

Tell me where she hurt you.

''Tell me where she hurt you''

Are you feeling quite well.
Cisheteronormativity - groaver
''Tell me where she hurt you'' Are you feeling quite well.

Just fine, gb. :-)

''' There's a cohort out there who have a problem with transwomen on female wards''' An extremely reasonable point of view from women, and their fathers for whom their daughters will always be defended to the death, we've already seen what can happen under wee jimmie krankies disastrous reign in a Scottish womens prison.

What exactly happened in Scottish Hospitals while Ms Sturgeon (or her predecessor) were FM that was disastrous?

I know there was an issue in prisons but the reality there is that, until the politicians felt the need to stick their oars in, that was an operational issue for the Prison Service.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 19/06/2023 at 10:44

<< I don't think that, beyond using appropriate language, dealing with sexual orientation is an issue. Is anyone bothered if one of their ward mates is gay? >>

Only if someone makes an issue of it and thrusts it in my face. Live and let live, and don't make unnecessary waves.

Duplicate post removed.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/06/2023 at 21:48

Cisheteronormativity - Vroom78

I don't mind addressing people as what ever they prefer to be called but I don't really like, having things erased or added to my name, i don't need cis being added on to my name or things like motherhood being erased to personhood or whatever it is. I think they got rid of the phrase maternity ward in Brighton, I think you can just add on identities instead of getting rid of and tampering with other peoples that is where i would stand, don't know about you guys

Cisheteronormativity - Sofa Spud

I was reading an article on the NHS as to what might seem acceptable terminology in todays world when I came across the above. At first I thought it might be some new infection or disease that had been found. It turns out that it is NHS speak to describe most of us as being cisgender i.e. identifying as the sex we were registered at birth and therefore heterosexual so if you are referred to as the above shout loudly if you disagree! No wonder you might need a degree in the modern NHS.

Surely most gay people also identify as the gender they were born as.

Cisheteronormativity - Terry W

It's all too complicated.

A person whose gender at birth was male now identifies as female and is attracted to those identifying as male.

Is this person (a) homosexual on the basis that his gender at birth was male, or (b) heterosexual on the basis he/she is now attracted to one of what he/she considers the opposite sex.

One either has great sympathy for the feelings of those that are directly impacted or involved in such debates, or regard discussion as a futile waste of time.

I will own up to being swayed towards the latter. People should be treated with respect and free to do that which they chose, providing it does not directly corrupt or impose upon others.

Edited by Terry W on 07/09/2023 at 11:22

It's all too complicated. A person whose gender at birth was male now identifies as female and is attracted to those identifying as male.

Personally I'm not too bothered about adults who have chosen to present themselves to the world in any way they want. I'm not happy about children who have been told to worry deeply about temporary feelings they may have, possibly choosing medical treatment. But as a scientist I object to anyone declaring they have changed their gender (or sex), which they cannot do as they have been born with a permanent set of chromosomes. I also object to the idea of tampering with birth certificates, which are an official historical record.

I also object to the idea of tampering with birth certificates, which are an official historical record.

My birth certificate records my name as Simon and sex as male.

If I go through the process (currently lengthy and bureaucratic) to get that changed to Simone and female how are you affected?

I also object to the idea of tampering with birth certificates, which are an official historical record.

If I go through the process (currently lengthy and bureaucratic) to get that changed to Simone and female how are you affected?

Silly question, as clearly I am not affected at all, and I suppose no-one else is either. Anyone's birth cert records a witnessed historical event, and I think most of us accept that history should not be airbrushed. If you choose to re-register yourself under a different name. that is your choice, just as a deed poll - but that is a new historical event taking place at a later date !

Cisheteronormativity - alan1302

Silly question, as clearly I am not affected at all, and I suppose no-one else is either. Anyone's birth cert records a witnessed historical event, and I think most of us accept that history should not be airbrushed. If you choose to re-register yourself under a different name. that is your choice, just as a deed poll - but that is a new historical event taking place at a later date !

If you are not affected by it then why do you object to it?

You are not airbushing history - you don't backdate your change of gender from when you are born to when you change.

If you are not affected by it then why do you object to it?

You are not airbrushing history - you don't backdate your change of gender from when you are born to when you change.

AIUI if I do the hoop jumping required to get a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) then I can have a birth certificate that says I was born Simone on the date I was actually born Simon.

However, while the 'fiction' lasts my lifetime there is a paperchain re the GRC and, at some time, that will be available to historians.