All - 20 MPH speed zones - sammy1

I read that the GOV has banned the DVLA from issuing drivers details to Westminster council for speeding offences in their 20 zones. The police are responsible for speeding offences. How would this move effect other areas of the country who have or are setting up 20 limits. The whole of Wales is going blanket 20 zones except for most through routes which will be designated by the local authority. In the news today is that Marcus Rashford has been fined and 6 points for exceeding a 20 in Manchester but it does not state his speed. So there seems to be a bit of ambiguity over 20 limits?

All - 20 MPH speed zones - movilogo

One must be driving at least twice the speed limit to get 6 point for speeding.

In many 20 MPH zones there are speed humps so one can't drive fast anyway.

But if you know there are no cameras it is up to you to figure out whether you want to drive at 20 or 30 :)

It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Adampr

So, if I dricw down the motorway at 139 I'll only get 3 points????

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Engineer Andy

So, if I dricw down the motorway at 139 I'll only get 3 points????

I think they mean 40 instead of 20. If someone drove on a public road at 139 instead of 70, never mind 20, they desevre never to drive any vehicle ever again.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - John F

I think they mean 40 instead of 20. If someone drove on a public road at 139 instead of 70, never mind 20, they desevre never to drive any vehicle ever again.

Bit harsh! If I was a German from Darmstadt driving up to Scotland in my comfortable mundane German car with its customary 155mph limiter early on a clear June Sunday morning on a quiet A1(M) stretch, a lapse of awareness of the UK's absurdly low 70mph limit might be understandable if I was used to trundling along at a mere 140mph along a road where over 80yrs ago Audis and Mercs were clocking well over 200mph.

Bit harsh! If I was a German from Darmstadt driving up to Scotland in my comfortable mundane German car with its customary 155mph limiter early on a clear June Sunday morning on a quiet A1(M) stretch, a lapse of awareness of the UK's absurdly low 70mph limit might be understandable if I was used to trundling along at a mere 140mph along a road where over 80yrs ago Audis and Mercs were clocking well over 200mph.

Last time I checked, the UK's top speed limit was 70mph, not unlimited like on some German autobahns. :-)

Besides, I've seen on more than one occasion livestock / larger wild animals (e.g. deer or large birds) get out onto motorways or dual carriageways, and I wouldn't want to have to do an emergency stop or take avoiding action at 155mph (at 70 would be hard enough to avoid a serious accident).

One of my old bosses did £3.5k worth of damage to his beemer about 15 years ago when he couldn't get out of the way of a deer that had suddenly appeared on the road on a 60 limit single (national speed limit) road with no-one coming the other way.

A man's gotta know his limitations...

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Theophilus

And frightening it was too - as an undergraduate over 50 years ago a friend & I spent the summer hitchhiking across Germany attending opera festivals. We had tickets for the Ring cycle in Bayreuth but were still in Munich 150 miles away only one hour before curtain up. We despaired of arriving in time when a flash BMW pulled up & we jumped in - when we explained our disappointment at missing the start of Rheingold the driver said "Don't worry, I'll get you there in time" - and he did, 150 miles in well under the hour!

The autobahn was only 2 lanes in those days, and the sight of a VW Beetle struggling to overtake a small truck half a mile ahead, but filling the windscreen in seconds will never be forgotten.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - badbusdriver

And frightening it was too - as an undergraduate over 50 years ago a friend & I spent the summer hitchhiking across Germany attending opera festivals. We had tickets for the Ring cycle in Bayreuth but were still in Munich 150 miles away only one hour before curtain up. We despaired of arriving in time when a flash BMW pulled up & we jumped in - when we explained our disappointment at missing the start of Rheingold the driver said "Don't worry, I'll get you there in time" - and he did, 150 miles in well under the hour!

Hmm, the notion of any 1970-ish car managing to cover 150 miles in well under an hour seems unlikely, but a BMW?. At that time, their most powerful car had 200bhp and topped out just over 130mph.

It's true - it was an off-the-peg special and the driver told us he owned a major German company.

It's true - it was an off-the-peg special and the driver told us he owned a major German company.

Regardless of how much money the chap had, he would still have been restricted to what was actually possible of that era!.

To cover 150miles in one hour on an empty and dead straight autobahn wouldn't be too much of a stretch, but to cover 150 miles in "well under an hour", with other traffic, and corners (even gentle ones), would require a top speed of at least 180mph. BMW's of that era, while undoubtably handsome, were not aerodynamically sound. That was the reason for the existence of the E9* 3.0 CSL "Batmobile", it needed all the extreme aero to keep it on the road!. All well and good, but that kind of aero creates drag, which in turn requires more power. A slippery car with fundamentally sound aerodynamics (so no need for huge spoilers, wings, etc) might get to 180mph with as little as 350bhp, but something like a CSL Batmobile would need circa 500bhp. Furthermore, a car of that shape, so highly tuned, being driven flat out, would probably be doing no more than 5mpg. Which in turn, would require at least 30 gallons of fuel to do 150 miles non stop.

Can't say with 100% certainty it was impossible, but in my (learned) opinion, I fear it is much more likely your memory is playing tricks on you.

*The E9 coupe being BMW's most sporting and highest performing road car from 1968-75

My memory may have been playing tricks with the car make / model (it was a German saloon / coupe and may have been an Audi - I wasn't very interested in cars in those days!) ... but the journey Munich to Bayreuth was definitely accomplished in well inside the hour as we got to the opera house in 50 minutes. The autoroute was fairly empty but I still vividly remember the speed with which we caught up and overtook the other traffic.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Bromptonaut

According to the Metro at least, it's a bit more nuanced than that. Marcus may have got 6 points for 30+ in a 20.

It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.

Can you provide some real world figures for that?

According to the Metro at least, it's a bit more nuanced than that. Marcus may have got 6 points for 30+ in a 20.

Can you provide some real world figures for that?

Easy - higher gear (without labouring the engine), lower engine rpm/mph = less fuel used. It's only over approx. 40mph when that goes in the other direction as aerodynamic wind resistance becomes the dominant factor.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 12/02/2023 at 14:26

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Andrew-T

<< Easy - higher gear (without labouring the engine), lower engine rpm/mph = less fuel used >>

It's not necessarily that simple. It's easy to argue that in a higher gear an engine uses fewer revs when covering a given distance, but that doesn't allow for a change in fuel/air ratio. From the other direction you could equally argue that at a given speed the same amount of fuel is needed to drive the car a given distance.

I find that in my 207SW diesel at 50-60 mph, the instant consumption figures in 4th or 5th (top) gear are pretty much the same. 60mph in top is about 2000rpm, which is about the peak torque speed.

<< Easy - higher gear (without labouring the engine), lower engine rpm/mph = less fuel used >>

It's not necessarily that simple. It's easy to argue that in a higher gear an engine uses fewer revs when covering a given distance, but that doesn't allow for a change in fuel/air ratio. From the other direction you could equally argue that at a given speed the same amount of fuel is needed to drive the car a given distance.

I find that in my 207SW diesel at 50-60 mph, the instant consumption figures in 4th or 5th (top) gear are pretty much the same. 60mph in top is about 2000rpm, which is about the peak torque speed.

Essentially I was saying that as long as you're not accelerating and in the proper speed band for the gear in question (that includes labouring the engine), then you should be using less throttle to achieve the same speed, thus less fuel is used.

I'd be surprised if the same amount of fuel was used for your example, given with most cars, you'll be needing to give the gas a good shove to keep it at 50-60mph in 4th (whether a 5 or 6 fwd gear car), whereas 5th should be reasonably comfortable. After all, that's why they are there in the first place, and why cars with fewer gears aren't as fuel efficient.

<< I'd be surprised if the same amount of fuel was used for your example, given with most cars, you'll be needing to give the gas a good shove to keep it at 50-60mph in 4th (whether a 5 or 6 fwd gear car), whereas 5th should be reasonably comfortable. >>

Instantaneous mpg figures can only be easily compared while cruising on a M'way - conditions on other roads change too much. But I certainly find that 4th and 5th at 50-60 mph give pretty similar values, and the diesel engine is not worked much except while climbing. I haven't looked at that -might be interesting.

In fact I tried the two gears to find out whether the old mantra of using the highest suitable gear was borne out; it wasn't, at least detectably. The readout has only a limited set of display values which differ by 2 or 3 %, so experimental error is significant.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Sofa Spud

It takes less energy to accelerate a car to 20 mph then to 30 mph. Also rolling resistance would be slightly less, while ind resistance is negligible at either speed. Traffic moving at 20 mph is more likely to be able to maintain a constant speed for more of the time. It's true that petrol or diesel cars would probably be in a lower gear at 20 than 30, which would affect fuel consumption.

But the environment is not just about emissions and the atmosphere, it's also about public safety and public nuisance.

20 mph limits are a good idea up to a point - for example in town or city centres or where traffic really does need to be moving very slowly for safety reasons.

One problem with 20 mph zones as it's not always clear enough whether or not you're in one. With lots of other hazards and visual distractions it's not difficult to miss a 20 sign in an unfamilar neighbourhood, even when you're concentrating fully. There's less "20 rage" about now, I think. I remember that in one place where I was keeping to 20, the following car (fast Mercedes or BMW, can't remember) shot past me, going the wrong side of a keep left island,accelerating to what must have been 50-60 mph.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - mcb100
‘ It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.’

Genuinely curious why you say this is the case?
‘ It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.’ Genuinely curious why you say this is the case?

I'm glad someone else asked...

‘ It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.’ Genuinely curious why you say this is the case?

Higher gear = lower fuel use = lower pollution. I think that 20mph zones and speed cameras are crudely used, inlcuding in areas where what is really needed is just proper enforcement of the existing speed limits.

999 times out of 1000, the offenders they need to catch are those blatantly speeding and or other dangerous driving. For those people, once detected, they should throw the proverbial book at them in court. The rest of us who do obey existing (and reasonable) limits should not be punished (and nor should the environment) for the actions of a tiny minority.

I believe that artificially lowering limits below what most of us believe are needed just encourages many otherwise law-abiding citizens to break the law because they feel it is unjust. Of course it gives the authorities the opportunity to make £Bank out of catching people rather than using the law as a tool to make the roads safer.

No surprise in today's world.

Higher gear = lower fuel use = lower pollution. I think that 20mph zones and speed cameras are crudely used, inlcuding in areas where what is really needed is just proper enforcement of the existing speed limits.

Not sure the bolded bit is necessarily true as multiple other factors are in play. My own Googling suggests there are reports available to suit either argument.

At least round here the 20 limit has more to do with safety than emissions - if you hit a ped at 40 death is a real possibility. At 20 your in minor to significant injury territory although anything that leaves the victim in hospital overnight ends up conflated with killed as "KSI" in UK stats.

‘ It is not environmentally friendly to drive at 20 MPH, so at least there is reason not to stick with it.’

Presumably driving an EV at 20mph is environmentally friendly though ?

All - 20 MPH speed zones - FP

"The whole of Wales is going blanket 20 zones..."

On its own, this is misleading. The context is that in Wales from September 2023 most - but not all - "speed-restricted" zones (at present 30 mph by default) will be 20 mph zones. There will still be other zones restricted to different speed limits.

There have been pilot schemes in some areas.

I don't know what "ambiguity" is being referred to. Legal?

All - 20 MPH speed zones - bazza

Also I believe that Welsh local authorities can designate which of their 30 mph zones change to 20 mph. There is widespread opposition in some areas.

Here is one for example, but there are many other studies.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/apr/19/ask-le...n

It is not that 20 MPH causes more pollution than 30 MPH per se but it often frustrates drivers leading to more frequent accelerations which leads to pollution. I also noticed that I am able to maintain a steady 30 MPH easily compared to 20 MPH.

It may help hybrids though as they often don't fire engines at 20 MPH but for ICE it is a different scenario and likely to increase fuel consumption.

That's about traffic calming, not speed limits.

Also I believe that Welsh local authorities can designate which of their 30 mph zones change to 20 mph. There is widespread opposition in some areas.

Not a surprise either. Round my way, the local council put out a 'plan' for 'improved cycle and pedestrian access' round the borough, but in reality it was (like the 15 minute city plan in Oxford) a plan to stymie car owners via many badly thought-out schemes.

They offered a 'consultation exercise' whereby many residents pointed out the many (gaping) flaws in their schemes. Sadly I wouldn't be at all surprised if they either completely ignored the comments and depth of opposition to most of the plans (they got absoluytedly trashed at a [poorly publicised but for once well atennded - funny that] town meeting about it] and just went ahead.

They did exactly that with a 'bin survey and plan' about a year ago, where amazingly a majority of residents said that reducing refuse collections to once every three weeks (from two) was something they really wanted (with no increase in recycling collections). I know of nobody outside of local political activists from the Lib-Lab colatition running the council who were in favour.

They also often limit the consultations to online only with short response periods, or do as governments do (see the latest wheeze) and do it to ID 'troublemakers' and stick the responses in a draw for use other than the publicsed one.

Hi Sammy, could you tell us where you read this?

I'm not saying you're wrong but I cannot find anything via Google to explain what exactly has happened.

Hi Sammy, could you tell us where you read this?

I'm not saying you're wrong but I cannot find anything via Google to explain what exactly has happened.

I picked it up on probably MSN or could have been DM at I think the beginning of the week. Strange you should mention nothing on Google because I tried here just to get the facts right but could not find it having tried a few options. I was going to post it earlier but than say the Rashford article. I did not dream it and living in Wales connected the 20mph Zones I even read that Westminster had issued 1000plus fines before being stopped. I thought it too much of a job to find the article again but my recollection is usually very good.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - KJP 123

Maybe the wrong Borough.

A DfT spokesman said: “Wandsworth council is carrying out this experimental speed enforcement trial using powers in a way that is unlawful.

“We have therefore taken immediate action and asked DVLA to stop sharing registered keeper details with Wandsworth council for the purpose of enforcing this scheme.”

londonnewsonline.co.uk/wandsworth-council-trial-to-fine-drivers-blocked-by-government/

Maybe the wrong Borough.

Aaah!

Sounds like that was the case...

Drat, no wonder I could not find it! Must have automatically connected it with Westminster because that's usually where all the wrong doing goes on. Sorry for the confusion but the main fact was there. Just how 20 mph can be enforced remains to be seen. One senior police officer as already stated that the police have better things to do. A lot of motorists are going to have a job getting out of second gear keeping to 20 and I imagine a lot of clutch judder. It will not be good for MPG or emissions.

"A lot of motorists are going to have a job getting out of second gear keeping to 20 and I imagine a lot of clutch judder."

Oh, come on! There's a street in a local town with a 20mph limit and the speed bumps are realistically only navigable without damage if you stick to that speed. There's no incline and I can manage this perfectly comfortably in fourth gear. (I have a six-speed box.)

I have to say you do seem to make the worst of every situation.

"A lot of motorists are going to have a job getting out of second gear keeping to 20 and I imagine a lot of clutch judder."

Oh, come on! There's a street in a local town with a 20mph limit and the speed bumps are realistically only navigable without damage if you stick to that speed. There's no incline and I can manage this perfectly comfortably in fourth gear. (I have a six-speed box.)

I have to say you do seem to make the worst of every situation.

NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SAY AT ALL. Why come on here if all you can do is knock others

I am amazed at your ability to navigate speed humps, but who mentioned them. I go a lot slower over them if you are interested.

Drat, no wonder I could not find it! Must have automatically connected it with Westminster because that's usually where all the wrong doing goes on. Sorry for the confusion but the main fact was there. Just how 20 mph can be enforced remains to be seen. One senior police officer as already stated that the police have better things to do. A lot of motorists are going to have a job getting out of second gear keeping to 20 and I imagine a lot of clutch judder. It will not be good for MPG or emissions.

I'd ay that the main downside is the pollution. Most cars can sustain that speed fine - my old 90s 1L Micra could do so in third easily, as can my 2005 Mazda3 1.6 petrol, though it probably would prefer 2nd if going up a hill to avoid labouring.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Xileno

When I did my speed awareness course the instructor gave a good tip of staying in 2nd gear in a 20mph zone, 3rd in 30mph. Seems to work but I suppose emissions would be higher, never really thought about it. Might be different with an auto, my car is manual.

When I did my speed awareness course the instructor gave a good tip of staying in 2nd gear in a 20mph zone, 3rd in 30mph. Seems to work but I suppose emissions would be higher, never really thought about it. Might be different with an auto, my car is manual.

Agree no problem with and auto, it will be in the most suitable gear. In a realistic driving situation with a manual and other drivers in the 20limit you will find some doing 15 or less depending on the road conditions. Much the same in a 30 a lot of cars are travelling at say 25 and in manuals up and down the box depending on the volume of traffic

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Smileyman

Years ago I attended one of these courses, when the instructor mentioned driving in 3rd gear when driving in a 30 mph zone I asked about the impact on fuel economy and vehicle emissions. I told not to ask irrelevant questions and later reminded about the course, it's purpose and why I would want to successfully complete it. Of course I passed with flying colours, but my question was not answered. Clearly air quality is not a relevant factor.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - paul 1963

Years ago I attended one of these courses, when the instructor mentioned driving in 3rd gear when driving in a 30 mph zone I asked about the impact on fuel economy and vehicle emissions. I told not to ask irrelevant questions and later reminded about the course, it's purpose and why I would want to successfully complete it. Of course I passed with flying colours, but my question was not answered. Clearly air quality is not a relevant factor.

A little off topic but I sadly attended one a couple of years ago and got told off for asking the wrong question, can't for the life of me remember what I asked???

Edit: I've just remembered!! I asked what qualifications he had because he was obviously reading from a script, it was during lockdown so I had to do it online...

Edited by paul 1963 on 12/02/2023 at 08:05

Does anybody think that, in real world driving, using 3rd when in a 30 is going to cause a measurable difference to emissions?

<< Does anybody think that, in real world driving, using 3rd when in a 30 is going to cause a measurable difference to emissions? >>

I think what makes a difference is accelerating after each speed bump - which many do to get back to 30 (if that is the local limit). Doing that with a sequence of bumps will certainly increase pollution.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Bolt

I think what makes a difference is accelerating after each speed bump - which many do to get back to 30 (if that is the local limit). Doing that with a sequence of bumps will certainly increase pollution.

Or 40mph in the case of a lot of SUVs, often tailgating those who cannot speed over the humps or take no notice of 20 limits, very common in my area.

Plus it seriously increases wear on the suspension, tyres, brakes and on the roads themselves (including speed humps of both types used). Hardly good for the environment or efficiency.

Plus you have the additional noise and vibration caused by vehicles going over the humps, which can be significant if its a road that many HGVs use. You often read accounts in the enws of nearby homes and other buildings suffering from structural damage and nuciance, even when the speed humps are properly designed, installed and maintained.

Or 40mph in the case of a lot of SUVs, often tailgating those who cannot speed over the humps or take no notice of 20 limits, very common in my area.

Indeed. Sometime it can be amusing when a flashy (low-riding) car has to scrawl over speed humps to avoid being beached or damaging the underside (incl. sump), but this can often happen with many ordinary cars, and SUVs and vans often plough over at above the limit whilst other cars brake to well below and accelerate back up again (see above).

Made even worse when road wear creates dips before and after the humps.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64641426

London is world's slowest city to drive in - study

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64641426

London is world's slowest city to drive in - study

To be fair, that's only at the centre on London. It's a very spread out city,a dthe outer boroughs are often a completely different kettle of fish for driving about.

To be fair, that's only at the centre on London.

no it isn`t, from the centre of London to say Bromley South, driving used to take around 40 mins, often now your lucky to do it under an hour, if traffic is really bad up to 2 hours or more, especially now all the shortcuts have gone, comes as no surprise sideroads are more polluted as the severe traffic sits around wind blowing the rubbish air around the sideroads though imo most is caused by dirty diesels not petrols

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Warning

They have put 20mph on major road, which is nuts. It is worse, if you a cyclist, because are they are doing the same sort of speed. Ideally, I want to overtake the cyclist, so we are not trying to overtake / undertake one another.

My car, hates 20mph zones. It is n't happy in 2nd gear or 3rd gear.

They have put 20mph on major road, which is nuts. It is worse, if you a cyclist, because are they are doing the same sort of speed. Ideally, I want to overtake the cyclist, so we are not trying to overtake / undertake one another.

That seems to be the idea to get you on a bike. A fit cyclist can easily do 30mph, get an e bike and go much faster, no pollution, well not in the city anyway. Gov is going to lose a lot of revenue if people are priced out of cars or driven out in sheer frustration of owning one!

A fit cyclist can easily do 30mph, get an e bike and go much faster, no pollution, well not in the city anyway.

While you can get e bikes which go faster (and you don't have to pedal), those legal for the UK will only assist up to 15.5mph.

30mph is extremely fast on a bike. It's possible to hit those speeds (and more) in bursts or downhill but maintaing an average speed of 30mph would win you the Tour de France.

30mph is extremely fast on a bike. It's possible to hit those speeds (and more) in bursts or downhill but maintaing an average speed of 30mph would win you the Tour de France.

I agree, my reply was a bit tongue in cheek and not serious.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - galileo

That seems to be the idea to get you on a bike. A fit cyclist can easily do 30mph, get an e bike and go much faster, no pollution, well not in the city anyway. Gov is going to lose a lot of revenue if people are priced out of cars or driven out in sheer frustration of owning one!

The assumption is that everyone is physically fit, doesn't mind being rained on, will never be encumbered with shopping /children or elderly relatives,

A perfect illustration of the way Khan and other petty dictators think. I see he has given London Bus Drivers an 18% pay rise to further 'encourage' bus use.

A perfect illustration of the way Khan and other petty dictators think. I see he has given London Bus Drivers an 18% pay rise to further 'encourage' bus use.

Is it even within his gift to do that?

As I heard it it was one of the several companies who are contracted to run individual routes, or groups of routes, who had given their drivers a rise.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64626372

All - 20 MPH speed zones - galileo

Is it even within his gift to do that?

As I heard it it was one of the several companies who are contracted to run individual routes, or groups of routes, who had given their drivers a rise.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64626372

So TfL doesn't subsidise them now?

So TfL doesn't subsidise them now?

What's that to do with the price of fish?

Abellio and the others, eg RATP, are contracted to operate specific routes. The contract will provide how revenue, whether from fares or subsidy, is dealt with.

Nothing I've seen suggests that Mayor Khan is upping the subsidy to cover this rise, or that he has sought to veto rises or otherwise frustrate bargaining between the drivers union and the employers.

Any evidence that he has done?

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Terry W

Just imagine London where all ICE traffic is ultimately banned. Cycling, walking, buses, electric buggies (max speed ~20mph) the only way for the public way to get around.

Trades and daytime delivery by speed limited EV. Anything with an ICE limited to using roads between 00.00-06.00 - would cover large delivery trucks etc.

Congestion would disappear overnight. Limited road space would become uncluttered as a dozen cyclists occupy the space of one SUV. Average speed of traffic currently ~9mph may even increase. Pollution almost eliminated. People healthier, less obese.

Financially a winner - offsetting the loss of congestion charge - no major road schemes required for decades. Less surface wear and potholes. Reduced NHS load.

As a strategy it may be what is motivating Mr Khan in the early stages at present.

Yesterday I drove through central Bristol rush hour, sat-nav to avoid the worst congestion. 40 mins to cover 5 miles of urban grot. Cramming more, ever bigger, vehicles into a limited space creating noise, pollution, road rage and stress is a strategic dead end.

Just imagine London where all ICE traffic is ultimately banned. Cycling, walking, buses, electric buggies (max speed ~20mph) the only way for the public way to get around.

Trades and daytime delivery by speed limited EV. Anything with an ICE limited to using roads between 00.00-06.00 - would cover large delivery trucks etc.

Congestion would disappear overnight. Limited road space would become uncluttered as a dozen cyclists occupy the space of one SUV. Average speed of traffic currently ~9mph may even increase. Pollution almost eliminated. People healthier, less obese.

Financially a winner - offsetting the loss of congestion charge - no major road schemes required for decades. Less surface wear and potholes. Reduced NHS load.

As a strategy it may be what is motivating Mr Khan in the early stages at present.

Yesterday I drove through central Bristol rush hour, sat-nav to avoid the worst congestion. 40 mins to cover 5 miles of urban grot. Cramming more, ever bigger, vehicles into a limited space creating noise, pollution, road rage and stress is a strategic dead end.

Oh dear. Sounds like a communist utopia. Only where the 95% Plebs are serfs with nothing and the 5% ultra rich can do as they please because they can afford it. No thank you.

Oh dear. Sounds like a communist utopia. Only where the 95% Plebs are serfs with nothing and the 5% ultra rich can do as they please because they can afford it. No thank you.

It seems to be gradually coming though when you look around, even free speech is being muted gradually....

Limited road space would become uncluttered as a dozen cyclists occupy the space of one SUV.

What ? You cannot be serious (I hope) ? Four at the most.

A communist utopia abhors the idea of 5% benefitting at the expense of the 95%. I don't think the Marxist "from each according to their means, to each according to their needs" works anywhere.

You may not like the idea of cars ultimately banned in cities. It may be a decade or two away by which time I will be history. But, tell me, what does the better long term alternative look like.

But, tell me, what does the better long term alternative look like.

Can anyone answer that, at the moment motors are being pushed into an ever decreasing road space, slowed down as much as possible to hopefully put not only car drivers off going into town, but commercial vehicles as well, blocking roads to prevent free flow traffic then blaming the traffic for pollution

all I can say is they have a weird way of thinking in that they hope to persuade the public they are doing the right thing even though they are causing the problem, but then we are not supposed to think like that, common sense is no more...

Only where the 95% Plebs are serfs with nothing and the 5% ultra rich can do as they please because they can afford it. No thank you.

It doesn't make a difference whether cars are driven by serfs or plutocrats - you can't get quarts into pint pots. Roads can only accommodate - and residents tolerate - a limiting number of vehicles, and many urban areas passed that point long ago. It's the attempts to find a solution that are painful.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - RT

Only where the 95% Plebs are serfs with nothing and the 5% ultra rich can do as they please because they can afford it. No thank you.

It doesn't make a difference whether cars are driven by serfs or plutocrats - you can't get quarts into pint pots. Roads can only accommodate - and residents tolerate - a limiting number of vehicles, and many urban areas passed that point long ago. It's the attempts to find a solution that are painful.

There is no solution while people continue to live/work in/around cities - movement of the population from the countryside to cities has been going on for 1,000s of years and shows no sign of abating. The traffic congestion/pollution is a very good reason not to live/work in cities but you can't tell some people!

It's the attempts to find a solution that are painful.

especially when the solutions work against traffic flow instead of helping it flow faster, where traffic is held up now is left to stay congested instead of reinstating the original traffic light timings... doesn`t make sense imo

thats without the other i****ic road alterations made..

<< ... movement of the population from the countryside to cities has been going on for 1,000s of years and shows no sign of abating >>

Well, hundreds, certainly. Can't speak for other continents, but it was the Industrial Revolution that really caused the problems you describe - so say about 300 years ? It was a trickle before that.

Not only have folk moved from country to city, the population has grown by 400k pa for the last 20 years.

Societies need to make choices about conflicting priorities based on consensus. Not all strategies will meet with common approval. Some may actively dislike the outcome.

To improve traffic flow there are two basic choices - reduce usage and demand, or increase road space.

Reducing demand is the dominant strategy through pricing and increasing regulation - congestion zones, bus lanes, speed limits, parking restrictions etc.

The alternative of increasing road space means something else suffers - less housing, green belt land goes, poorer health from pollution, noise, climate change etc.

Changing behaviours to reduce road use seems a better strategy than endlessly spending to improve the network. The number of cars has tripled since 1970 to 33m.

Cars used to be "luxury" items affordable mainly by those enjoying a decent income. They are now simply too cheap - a new small lease car can be had for the price of a reasonable meal for two, or a family visit to a pizza emporium once a week.

A communist utopia abhors the idea of 5% benefitting at the expense of the 95%. I don't think the Marxist "from each according to their means, to each according to their needs" works anywhere.

You may not like the idea of cars ultimately banned in cities. It may be a decade or two away by which time I will be history. But, tell me, what does the better long term alternative look like.

It might be a good idea to stop letting net 500k+ (conservative estimate) people into the country each year. Imagine if the population (including those not 'counted') hadn't grown how much less busy the roads would be now...

Or if we didn't encourage people to buy remotely instead of locally (necessitating loads of delivery lorries and vans) and reducing farmland usage for growing food / raising livestock in favour of 'solar farms' (which can go on rooftops) or continually building out-of-town retail developments requiring the usage of cars to get there, especially for the elderly who won't be served by a bus.

Just a few examples for you Terry.

Oh, and by the way, where do you think the proponents of the 15 minute city got their ideas from? It wasn't proponets of capitalism. The policy is pushed by the WEF and their minions though, along with their owning nothing, eating ze bugz and bugz-related produce and having 'happy proles'.

Apparently the local council in Oxford didn't like it up 'em when challanged on the facts. Funny, that.

<< It might be a good idea to stop letting net 500k+ (conservative estimate) people into the country each year. >>

It is an excellent idea, but how is it put into practice - effectively ? When shoals of unfortunate people pay silly money for an overcrowded rubber boat to cross the Channel, and humanitarian pressures prevent the UK doing much to stop it ?

<< It might be a good idea to stop letting net 500k+ (conservative estimate) people into the country each year. >>

It is an excellent idea, but how is it put into practice - effectively ? When shoals of unfortunate people pay silly money for an overcrowded rubber boat to cross the Channel, and humanitarian pressures prevent the UK doing much to stop it ?

You only have to look to certain Eastern European nations to see how they deal with illegals.

Anyone not from a nation at war who has gone through a safe country to get here won't be let in and turned around within a day.

Use intel in France etc to determine who is running these rackets and stop them. I strongly suspect the authorities know who is involved, but do nothing, trying to palm it off onto other departments and nations. That's where we should take a leaf out of the French government's book and essentially threatne them with sanctions, non-co-operation, etc as they regularly do with us.

Maybe then they and the EU in general will be rather more co-operative.

It might help to not be in the ECHR etc and go back to the Law Lords (in a reformed HoL) rather than the very political Supreme Court..

Back to Motoring now please.

Mod

Back to Motoring now please.

Mod

Please tell Terry, FP and Andrew-T that. Their the ones who are trying to scupper the debate by pretending its all unrelated to the issue at hand and all 'comspiracy theories' - the 'current thing' and go-to accusation of The Left whenever their ideology gets taken to task.

I would note that 20mph zones were the opening salvo in the war to demonise Pleb car ownership, first going towards dedicated cycle and bus lanes that rarely get used and squeeze other traffic into less lanes, causing yet more congestion (to force the issue further), then onto congestion and pollution charges (taxes like the ULEZ one in London, etc).

Then onto LTNs (that just push traffic elsewhere and have been shown to significanlt increase congestion and blue light waiting times because the blockades aren't on satnav map services and rising bollards often don't unlock), and now the supposed 'conspiracy theory' of 'Smart Cities' and '15 minute cities' where proponents are saying its not authoritarian communistic stuff then basically saying as much in their blurb.

Besides, this part of the forum is about general discussion topics.

<< Please tell Terry, FP and Andrew-T that. They are the ones who are trying to scupper the debate by pretending its all unrelated to the issue at hand and all 'comspiracy theories' - the 'current thing' and go-to accusation of The Left whenever their ideology gets taken to task. >>

Andy, I can't speak for FP or Terry, but I would ask you humbly not to assert that all those who argue against your strong opinions are 'ideologists'. I have said before that given any reasonable alternative I will not vote Tory or Labour, as I have middle-of-the-road views. Neither do I habitually assume extreme or unlikely explanations for political events I disagree with, nor try to 'scupper debates'.

At least don't imagine that FP, Terry and I conspire against you :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/02/2023 at 15:23

"Besides, this part of the forum is about general discussion topics."

It is, which is why I have let the discussion continue but in this General forum. It was originally in Motoring - see my post below this morning at 08:54.

My comment regarding 'back to motoring' was when this thread was in Motoring.

We need to keep Motoring as close to motoring as possible, there have been enough comments made to the Mods that this is what people want and this is afterall a Motoring forum.

I don't have a problem if people want to discuss other subjects as long as no forum rules are broken but the place for this is in General. People can contribute if they want or give it a miss.

The other option would be to have what we had in the 'old days' where there was no General forum and any discussions that deviated from Motoring we simply locked. I'm not sure that's good, some of the General discussions have been useful and I have given it a lot of thought but on balance think the current arrangement is best. But I will lock threads in General if it's getting hand-baggy or just tedious.

Edited by Xileno on 18/02/2023 at 16:53

"Besides, this part of the forum is about general discussion topics."

It is, which is why I have let the discussion continue but in this General forum. It was originally in Motoring - see my post below this morning at 08:54.

My comment regarding 'back to motoring' was when this thread was in Motoring.

We need to keep Motoring as close to motoring as possible, there have been enough comments made to the Mods that this is what people want and this is afterall a Motoring forum.

I don't have a problem if people want to discuss other subjects as long as no forum rules are broken but the place for this is in General. People can contribute if they want or give it a miss.

The other option would be to have what we had in the 'old days' where there was no General forum and any discussions that deviated from Motoring we simply locked. I'm not sure that's good, some of the General discussions have been useful and I have given it a lot of thought but on balance think the current arrangement is best. But I will lock threads in General if it's getting hand-baggy or just tedious.

The problem is that's exactly what Brompt, Andrew-T, alan, FP and Terry want. it's why they always ask me and others to say why this or that after we post comments about issue X or Y to deliberately push the debate off topic and/or into a slanging match, precisely because IMHO it stops their arguments from being shown up as either hollow, disengenuous or worse.

Whenever I and others cite factual information and/or reports, we get strawmanned and accused of being ists and phobes. What do you expect us to do - stay silent and just take it?

You need to be even-handed, because I know a good number of now former forum members who are of the 'conservative' persuasion who have left because they are fed up with constantly being targeted in such a way (often being 'ganged up' possibly in a co-ordinated fashion) and those perpetrating them get let off scot-free.

I've seen this happen on other forums and it hasn't ended well for the sites in question.

The problem is that's exactly what Brompt, Andrew-T, alan, FP and Terry want. it's why they always ask me and others to say why this or that after we post comments about issue X or Y to deliberately push the debate off topic and/or into a slanging match, precisely because IMHO it stops their arguments from being shown up as either hollow, disengenuous or worse.

Whenever I and others cite factual information and/or reports, we get strawmanned and accused of being ists and phobes. What do you expect us to do - stay silent and just take it?

I have never, ever, in this place or another tried to get threads closed. I enjoy debate but find it difficult to do so with some people on here.

My issue with you specifically Andy is that you cite something as though it were a fact. Viewed from my perspective what you've said is not a fact but an opinion based on either your own thoughts or stuff you've read elsewhere. That's why I ask you where you got that from.

The question of whether the NHS guidance on names etc in Sammy's thread was done by Civil Servants against the wishes of their Minsters is a case in point. I asked you to tell us where that suggestion came from or, if it was based on your own thinking. to explain why.

It might be a good idea to stop letting net 500k+ (conservative estimate) people into the country each year.

A little under half the population increase since 1991 has been natural, not immigration.

There would be less congestion were immigration better controlled but at a cost - most are in the age range 15-35 and form part of the active UK workforce, and (mostly) pay tax.

continually building out-of-town retail developments requiring the usage of cars to get there, especially for the elderly who won't be served by a bus.

If we didn't have out of town retail parks explicitly designed for car users, town centres would be even more congested.

Oh, and by the way, where do you think the proponents of the 15 minute city got their ideas from

The "15 minute city" is what most people lived in before car ownership ran riot. Shops, jobs, most close relations, friends and social life all within a few miles.

An existence I would personally find somewhat confining, but one that worked for most for all of human existence bar the last 80 years.

The average commute is ~1 hour per day (200 hours pa). To drive (say) 10k pa at an average of 30 mph is over 300 hours pa. Measured against this waste of time, effort and resources the 15 minute city becomes positively attractive.

It might be a good idea to stop letting net 500k+ (conservative estimate) people into the country each year.

A little under half the population increase since 1991 has been natural, not immigration.

That would be difficult, given the birth rate (overall and especially outside of first generation immigrants) is well below the replacement rate. In fact, increases in the population (and that's only the official numbers, given reports are estimating up to 10M illegals to add on) is solely because of immigration and children born of first generation immigrants.

There would be less congestion were immigration better controlled but at a cost - most are in the age range 15-35 and form part of the active UK workforce, and (mostly) pay tax.

continually building out-of-town retail developments requiring the usage of cars to get there, especially for the elderly who won't be served by a bus.

If we didn't have out of town retail parks explicitly designed for car users, town centres would be even more congested.

Most are built to serve the extra population because of the expensaion of towns and surrounding villages, not to make shopping easier for existing residents. For example in my town, the in-town supermarket closed because it was too small to complete with the larger edge of town ones that are nearer to the newer housing developments. They never were needed if migration was essentially zero.

Oh, and by the way, where do you think the proponents of the 15 minute city got their ideas from

The "15 minute city" is what most people lived in before car ownership ran riot. Shops, jobs, most close relations, friends and social life all within a few miles.

An existence I would personally find somewhat confining, but one that worked for most for all of human existence bar the last 80 years.

The average commute is ~1 hour per day (200 hours pa). To drive (say) 10k pa at an average of 30 mph is over 300 hours pa. Measured against this waste of time, effort and resources the 15 minute city becomes positively attractive.

The 15 minute city is not what we used to have before motor cars were widely used. The 15 minute city is a concept used by leftist ideologues and corporatists to control the masses, which is why they restrict car usage, including where you can travel to - unless you are wealthy or someone 'important'.

They also restrict social mobility because obviously every type of job can not have a workplace within 15 minutes of your home, necessitating you move every time you move jobs, which is both impractical and expensive, and often impossible if your are married and both work.

Even some (notional) 'Tory' councils have been taken in by them - I read a report of a serious backlash whereby restrictions of n movement WOULD (as they all are) be put in place as part of the scheme.

In addition, such schemes can easily be used to perform 'lockdowns' for any reason, and given how it has now been conslusively proven they had zero positive effect during the pandemic - quite the opposite in fact, that is very chilling indeed, given how quickly the authorities liked to use them and how willing they are to do so again, including 'climate lockdowns' (which won't apply to the great and good', no doubt including all those calling for them).

"That would be difficult, given the birth rate (overall and especially outside of first generation immigrants) is well below the replacement rate. In fact, increases in the population (and that's only the official numbers, given reports are estimating up to 10M illegals to add on) is solely because of immigration and children born of first generation immigrants."

That is not correct. A large part of historical population growth has been a result of natural growth (i.e. births minus deaths) as life expectancy has increased. It is certainly not solely because of immigration regardless of what the exact proportion of each is.

Notwithstanding that, I'm not really clear on why children of immigrants somehow don't count.

Where has the figure of 10 million illegal immigrants come from?

<< ... reports are estimating up to 10M illegals to add on) is solely because of immigration and children born of first generation immigrants.>>

'Children born of first-generation immigrants' are part of the 'natural' figures, as they clearly did not immigrate - at least not in a countable form. And ten million - that sounds like scaremongering to me. Agreed that quite a few people try to avoid being counted, but it's hard to sponge on the system without becoming visible to some authorities.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Crickleymal

Personally I think the 15 minute city sounds a great idea. It'd be fantastic if most of the stuff I need was within 15 minutes walk of home. A bit like what it was pre motor car. I don't see how the 15 minute city idea precludes having a job elsewhere. You just commute, you're not prevented from doing so as far as I can see by the arguments presented here.

“Oh, and by the way, where do you think the proponents of the 15 minute city got their ideas from?”

Another excursion by EA into conspiracy-theory land.

The “15-minute city” is a rather mundane civic planning idea which tries to locate the essential places an urban person might need to visit frequently (retail, medical etc.) within easy walking or cycling distances, thus cutting down the need for car journeys.

In Oxford, the plan has been adapted to reduce the chaotic congestion in the city centre. It involves traffic filters (controlled by ANPR cameras) installed as part of a £6.5m trial commencing in 2024. Residents will be able to drive freely around their own neighbourhoods (there will be six in total), but will be fined up to £70 for driving into other neighbourhoods through the filters. Some filters will operate 7am to 7pm, some will operate Monday - Saturday.

It does not prevent motorists’ ability to go from one neighbourhood to another. But to do that, you exit your area by driving away from the centre on to the ring road and enter your destination area from the ring road. In effect, it is a sophisticated way of controlling traffic by the use of diversions.

Predictably, people of certain views have been up in arms. True, the WEF likes the general idea – which is apparently a Bad Thing for some, as for them it’s part of some shadowy global conspiracy intent on robbing us of our freedoms. True, the “15-minute city” idea was proposed by a French professor with a history of left-wing activism, so of course it must be bad.

After the plan was published, the lies began. Power-mad politicians, it was claimed, planned to lock residents into one of six zones and confine residents to their own neighbourhoods. This is Communism, apparently.

Nick Fletcher MP, Conservative (Don Valley), recently demanded a debate in the Commons on the “international socialist concept of so-called 15-minute cities”, and said that the schemes could “take away our personal freedom… Sheffield is already on this journey and I do not want Doncaster, which is also a Labour-run socialist council, to do the same,” he added. Fletcher’s demand for the debate is yet to be realised and he was greeted with laughs and jeers in the House of Commons – which is probably the best way to treat this sort of stuff.

I will leave aside EA’s entirely silly comment about “…bugz-related produce and having 'happy proles'.”

(With apologies to Xileno)

<< It does not prevent motorists’ ability to go from one neighbourhood to another. But to do that, you exit your area by driving away from the centre on to the ring road and enter your destination area from the ring road. >>

It sounds an interesting idea, but I am wondering whether (as described) it will make residents drive further, not less ? Apart from adding another big-brother element to everyday life ?

Yet more gaslighting about 'conspiracy theories' that amazingly turn out to be 100% true every time. It goes from 'never gonna happen' to 'well, if it does happen, surely it's a good thing' to well, what ye gonna do?.

Absolutely zero attempt at genuine debate, given it's always framed in your way and anything other than that gets the straw man / gaslighting treatment. Presumably because there's little more to say on 'the other place' where its full of lefties high-fiving the latest wheeze from the WEF, activists, civil servants or whoever is 'the latest thing'.

Of course, this here is just to stop debate by getting threads stopped by the mods, because they know any meaningful conversation where they have to go into detail means they get owned time and again, damaging their credibility to a serious degree. You can always tell when that happens, because we on the other side get silence or the personal attacks with no actual facts to back up their claims.

In many ways I don't know why I'm bothering to write this. However...

"Yet more gaslighting about 'conspiracy theories' that amazingly turn out to be 100% true every time. It goes from 'never gonna happen' to 'well, if it does happen, surely it's a good thing' to well, what ye gonna do?."

- Give us a good example of a so-called conspiracy theory that turned out not to be one at all. It sound as if you believe there are many. I'm willing to listen.

"Absolutely zero attempt at genuine debate, given it's always framed in your way and anything other than that gets the straw man / gaslighting treatment. Presumably because there's little more to say on 'the other place' where its full of lefties high-fiving the latest wheeze from the WEF, activists, civil servants or whoever is 'the latest thing'."

- Based on past experience, I'd say you don't do "genuine debate". However, feel free simply to give an example of "lefties high-fiving the latest wheeze from the WEF". I would love to check it out.

"Of course, this here is just to stop debate by getting threads stopped by the mods, because they know any meaningful conversation where they have to go into detail means they get owned time and again, damaging their credibility to a serious degree. You can always tell when that happens, because we on the other side get silence or the personal attacks with no actual facts to back up their claims."

- Repeating the outrageous accusation that anyone is trying to get threads shut down doesn't make it true. And don't kid yourself - you have never "owned" anyone in a debate on this forum. "Silence" can mean many things, one of which is that people get bored with trying to follow the barely-relevant, rambling length of some of your posts. (Maybe that's a deliberate tactic of yours?)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I haven't made any personal attacks on you, though I'm not sure you understand the difference between attacking you and attacking your views about the world in general and this forum in particular, which seem to grow more outlandish with every comment.

In many ways I don't know why I'm bothering to write this. However...

Amazing how you just force yourself to do so. Your life must be so full that all you do is spend time arguing - supposedly on the same side as confirmed socialists whom you say you have nothing in common because 'youre right of centre'. Seems that all your other comments contradict that previous 'statement'.

Then you go with the victim narrative with 'ourageous statement' etc to garner support and presumably to get the mods to delete my comments but not yours. Presumably your skin is so thin that you cannot stand any critcism, and wish anyone on the other side - that you've characterised as 'far right' or 'conspiracy theoriists' (common leftist tactics and tropes) to be silenced via removal of comments.

You have made personal attacks on me, and no denying that after people can see them in black and white will wash them away.

You appear to do all this to deflect from actually refuting my points or defending your own positions with facts - where's all the references?

"Your life must be so full that all you do is spend time arguing - supposedly on the same side as confirmed socialists whom you say you have nothing in common because 'youre right of centre'. Seems that all your other comments contradict that previous 'statement'."

- Now that IS a personal comment - about what happens in my life, how I spend time arguing etc. I could just as easily say you're some kind of weirdo who spends a lot of time soaking up conspiracy theories - but I don't. I don't know much about you and I'm not the slightest bit interested in your life.

"Then you go with the victim narrative with 'ourageous statement' etc to garner support and presumably to get the mods to delete my comments but not yours."

- I'll leave others to judge that one.

"Presumably your skin is so thin that you cannot stand any critcism, and wish anyone on the other side - that you've characterised as 'far right' or 'conspiracy theoriists' (common leftist tactics and tropes) to be silenced via removal of comments."

- Another personal comment, about my so-called thin skin. Really, you need to get over yourself on that one. No, I don't want anyone silenced; I'm happy for you to continue to make your comments as long as you realise others are going to call you out.

"You have made personal attacks on me, and no denying that after people can see them in black and white will wash them away."

- Back up that accusation. I will apologise if I have done so.

"You appear to do all this to deflect from actually refuting my points or defending your own positions with facts - where's all the references?"

- You know as well as I do that we've been here before and that so-called discussion with you goes nowhere. In any case, let me remind you once again that you are the one with the "unconventional" views that you insist on introducing. I don't need to prove anything.

Do you wish to apologise for the personal comments in the post to which I'm replying?

Edited by FP on 19/02/2023 at 17:18

Re Post Sun 19 Feb 2023 17:15.

A couple of footnotes to the above.

1. EA: “Your life must be so full that all you do is spend time arguing…” and “Presumably your skin is so thin that you cannot stand any criticism…”

FP: “Do you wish to apologise for the personal comments in the post to which I'm replying?”

- Disappointingly, but perhaps unsurprisingly, so far no apology has been forthcoming. It’s minor, so no big deal, but it does illustrate a point.

2. EA: “You have made personal attacks on me, and no denying that after people can see them in black and white will wash them away.”

FP: “Back up that accusation. I will apologise if I have done so.”

- This is a little more serious. If EA will not (or cannot) give examples of something that exists, he claims, “in black and white”, then it’s fair to assume there aren’t any. So much for EA’s credibility.

I would in fact be disappointed if it turned out that I had made - somehow, without meaning to - any personal attacks.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - Brit_in_Germany

Labelling a comment 'entirely silly' might have been construed as a personal comment irrespective of the truth of that statement. Shame this forum hasn't invested in an 'ignore' function. It would make it a more pleasant place.

I will move this thread into the General forum as it's developed into town planning which could be an interesting discussion.

This scheme in Oxford has caused considerable ill feeling between motorists residents and council. Streets and areas turned into " you are not coming down here" has had motorists moving the street furniture blocking their way and ignoring the restrictions. Oxford has long been motorist unfriendly but when I have been there before the latest restrictions there were no traffic problems in the centre. These schemes are costing the council tax payers millions only adding to the frustration of all users let alone the added costs and pollution of getting around the place.

"Streets and areas turned into 'you are not coming down here' has had motorists moving the street furniture blocking their way and ignoring the restrictions."

A few notes: the Oxford ("15-minute city") scheme has not happened yet.

Despite careful research, I can find only that the protests against it have been leaflet-drops and demonstrations, not moving street furniture.

If/when it happens, positioning street furniture will not be the way traffic is controlled. It will be by ANPR cameras. I've already explained this.

I think you're confusing Oxford with certain parts of London, where individual councils (e.g. Newham, Hackney) have tried various traffic re-routing/calming/diverting measures over the last few years, some of which involved physical barriers.

Perhaps check your facts more carefully?

Oxford LTNs were on the drawing board as long ago as early 2021. 3 areas went live as a trial in March 2022. There have been repeated demonstrations to the scheme.. The 15 minute scheme has not happened yet as you say although there was a protest march today by some 2000 residents The incidents to which I refer involve some motorists moving the temporary plant planters dividing residential roads aside to drive through or some have mounted the pavement. As I understand it the latest scheme will be monitored by ANPR cameras. I wonder what the legality of this is? I am just pleased that I do not live in Oxford or any other city for that matter. Quite how strangers to cities are able to assimilate all the traffic signs, bus lanes, bike lanes, and rules beats me!

PS for anyone visiting Oxford the jump on jump off bus scheme I highly recommend.

Oxford LTNs were on the drawing board as long ago as early 2021. 3 areas went live as a trial in March 2022.

I think there is some mixing up of different proposals here.

LTN = Low Traffic Neighbourhood and is about designating local streets as restricted in one way or another. The intention is to move 'rat running' traffic back onto main roads. They're not new but, see dates above, grew rapidly during the covid pandemic. They tend to be delineated by street furniture.

Oxford has a proposal to ease it's huge problems with local traffic close to the city centre by the use of zones/permits. I've not had time to get into the details but so far it seems to be something upon which the Council is consulting. It will be enforced like Congestion charges and other tolls by CCTV and number plate recognition.

Like anything that affects people's freedom to go anywhere by car it's controversial. There was a programme on Radio 4 last Friday which covered it and also touched on LTNs and the idea of the 15 minute city:

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001j4j5

"Streets and areas turned into 'you are not coming down here' has had motorists moving the street furniture blocking their way and ignoring the restrictions."

A few notes: the Oxford ("15-minute city") scheme has not happened yet.

Despite careful research, I can find only that the protests against it have been leaflet-drops and demonstrations, not moving street furniture.

If/when it happens, positioning street furniture will not be the way traffic is controlled. It will be by ANPR cameras. I've already explained this.

I think you're confusing Oxford with certain parts of London, where individual councils (e.g. Newham, Hackney) have tried various traffic re-routing/calming/diverting measures over the last few years, some of which involved physical barriers.

Perhaps check your facts more carefully?

So let's see yours. By the way, putting up council propoaganda isn't facts, especially as what is happening on the ground doesn'#t bear any resemblence to what the politicians wanting this state.

And that council wants it to be a 15 minute city. Many councils have signed up to its principles, which are as stated on the WEF's website. LTNs are just trial runs for wider schemes like 15 minute cities and climate lockdowns. I familiar tactic to get unpopular policies through. None have been approved by residents. Funny, that.

<< A familiar tactic to get unpopular policies through. None have been approved by residents. Funny, that. >>

I'm sure you know that very few projects are 'approved by residents', whatever they are. Most people don't want change, at least of that variety. But why can you not help including jaundiced phrases such as 'council propaganda' ? I don't think it helps your credibility much.

All - 20 MPH speed zones - alan1302

I familiar tactic to get unpopular policies through. None have been approved by residents. Funny, that.

How much would ever get done if it always needed to be approved by the residents?

All - 20 MPH speed zones - skidpan

but to cover 150 miles in "well under an hour", with other traffic, and corners (even gentle ones), would require a top speed of at least 180mph

Very true. When we visit Scotland the trip is 430 miles of which approx 370 miles is national speed limit motorways and dual carriageways on which we set the cruise to 73 mph and rarely have to slow. Of the 60 remaining miles approx 55 is on National speed limit A roads and 5 miles on decent roads with not much traffic.

On a good run with no roadworks or major traffic issues we can average 62 mph. To average more we would need to break all the speed limits.

I think we've done the 20MPH zones and town planning as far as can and the rest of the thread in now beyond tedious with these colossal disagreements. I'm not sure it does the reputation of the site any good.

Mod