Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Disgruntled Corsa owner
My electric Corsa had only done 7k miles at the first service. I was informed that due to both rear discs badly scored the pads and discs need replaced. I have contacted Vauxhall to no avail. Just not interested. Is 7k for discs acceptable nowadays?

Dealership said they can’t help as Vauxhall would not pay them for doing the work as the discs only have 6k mile warranty.

How bad is this?
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - paul 1963

I'd either find another dealer of get them looked at elsewhere, wish it was easier to post pictures here, I'd love to see a photo.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - elekie&a/c doctor
They cannot be serious. Brakes worn out at 7k ? Don’t think so . I’d get a second opinion. Ask them politely if they would fail an mot ?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/08/2022 at 19:51

This is Vauxhall customer care reply

Many apologies for the delay to deliver an outcome on your case. The case was raised to a higher department for investigation on which it was advised that the issue cannot be identified as a manufacturing defect. It is due to that that the issue cannot be repaired under warranty and goodwill cannot be offered.

Many thanks for contacting Customer Care and please accept our sincere apologies in these unusual and unfortunate circumstances.

Please note that I will now be closing your case.
I may have missed something here . What is actually the problem? Have they deemed the car dangerous to drive?
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Ian D
Sounds like a main dealer trying to up its revenue for the day by creating unnecessary work. Decline their kind offer of replacing them and post some photos or take the car to a good independent who can spend 2 minutes checking and give you some honest advice. Where are you? May be able to suggest an Indi if we know where you are…
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Adampr

Agreed. Vauxhall were desperate to shift Corsas to make them the UK's best selling car, and I doubt history will remember them fondly. I suspect dealers are trying to bump up the tiny margins they got on them by inventing nonsense.

The Corsa was also rushed out, and it shows in a lot of the interior detailing and annoying electrical niggles.

I would like to see a photo too, not least as I have a Corsa-e with similar mileage sitting on my drive so can compare and contrast.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Brit_in_Germany

With regenerative braking, I suspect the rear brakes are hardly used. I would find a quiet road where you can drive at a decent speed and brake violently a few times, enough to warm the discs up and clean off the surface corrosion.

With regenerative braking, I suspect the rear brakes are hardly used. I would find a quiet road where you can drive at a decent speed and brake violently a few times, enough to warm the discs up and clean off the surface corrosion.

I must say, although it might a trick from the big gaps in the alloys, that I have never seen discs go so rusty, so fast as on mine.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Andrew-T

I must say, although it might a trick from the big gaps in the alloys, that I have never seen discs go so rusty, so fast as on mine.

Just proves that they don't come into action very often ?

Probably, or maybe they're made of very cheap steel as they don't need to be as hard-wearing.

While I was waiting on the service at the dealership, I got a link sent to my phone to view the video that the technician took of the condition of the car. He made mention of the rear brakes being badly corroded and scored. I then got a text from the dealership to authorise the brakes to get replaced at a cost of nearly £400. I used the No thanks option. When I spoke to the service dept about why the needed replaced after such a short period, I was told the brakes are a known fault and Vauxhall are using cheap parts. I was then given the telephone number of Vauxhall customer services, told to raise a case about the brakes and to the service dudes knowledge, Vauxhall will authorise the dealership to replace them free of charge.

Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The dealership can’t do anything either as they said they can only do what Vauxhall tell them. I tried the finance company (Vauxhall pcp) but they can’t help unless I get an independent report on the brakes at my expense.

Not sure what the cost would be or who would be authorised to carry that out (Glasgow area).

Thanks for all your replies and advice.
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Vulpes

Mines a Petrol Corsa 2020 model ; At 1st mot (only 17,500 miles) diagnosed with seriously corroded rear disc (needed replacing) and now (19,000) both front discs labelled dangerous !

I intend to take this up with Vauxhall ; I have identified (at least) 4 others of same age with same issue - 26-33,000 miles - my impression is that cheap / inferior discs used by Peugeot (Corsas made in Spain) to save weight and production costs !

My previous experiences (10 cars in 40 years - plus 6 company vehicles) have never had "corroded" discs ; last car (Mazda 6 2007) bought at 4yrs / 33,000 and kept for 8 years (105,000) had no disk issues until 55,000 (and 'scored' not 'corroded') - pads wear with use, and if not identified can 'score' discs, but corrosion is a result or rust, which shouldn't happen so quickly unless inferior metal used.

I will post my experiences with Vauxhall as and when. (I intend not to be 'fobbed off' and will get RAC and / or independent checks if necessary, and possibly go to the Motor Ombudsman.)

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - bathtub tom

With regenerative braking, I suspect the rear brakes are hardly used.

Quite the opposite, at least with my understanding of Toyota hybrids. Regenerative braking retards the front, driving wheels and under heavier braking the rear brakes are used first to retain stability (keep the back wheels behind the front).

Hence my suggestion to go out and perform some heavy braking. In normal use the regen braking will not be using the rear brakes.

Sounds like a main dealer trying to up its revenue for the day by creating unnecessary work. Decline their kind offer of replacing them and post some photos or take the car to a good independent who can spend 2 minutes checking and give you some honest advice. Where are you? May be able to suggest an Indi if we know where you are…

How do I post photos on here?
If GM are not paying, go to an independent garage. Rear disc and pad set around £60 , plus less than an hour to fit .
Received this email today

Good Morning

The information previously provided is correct and accurate. As a finance house we are unable to assist you with your vehicle's brakes. We would require evidence as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that the scoring on your brakes has not been caused due to general use, misuse, wear or tear. As explained it only takes something to get trapped between brake pad and disc, for the brakes to be applied and scoring to occur. We confirm that no where does it state how long brakes should last for. Brake wear is based on use not mileage.

With regards to section 75, this does not apply to Finance agreements, section 75 is specifically for purchases made using credit cards and not finance houses.

We confirm that we have no power or jurisdiction to overturn a response from the manufacturer. As per your contract under clause 20.1 the repairs are your responsibility when required.

We apologise we are unable to assist you further unless as requested you provide evidence as detailed above.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Centre on 03448 712222.

Yours sincerely

Customer Relations
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Lee Power
If GM are not paying, go to an independent garage. Rear disc and pad set around £60 , plus less than an hour to fit .

Nothing to do with GM anymore, this is a Stellantis product, its just a Peugeot e-208 in disguise with a Vauxhall badge.

You can't post photos, but you could post a link.

I don't disagree with what the finance company have said, but would suggest to Vauxhall UK that they're knowingly selling something that isn't of merchantable quality

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Bolt

I don't disagree with what the finance company have said, but would suggest to Vauxhall UK that they're knowingly selling something that isn't of merchantable quality

Has the warranty changed now?, as I was under the assumption pads and discs were wear and tear and not warranted, callipers probably but not pads-discs. also scored could mean anything and if the brakes are MOT passable I can`t see the problem?

Has the warranty changed now?, as I was under the assumption pads and discs were wear and tear and not warranted, callipers probably but not pads-discs. also scored could mean anything and if the brakes are MOT passable I can`t see the problem?

No, the warranty hasn't changed and the discs would definitely be considered wear and tear. However, the product being sold still has to be of satisfactory quality, including a reasonable level of durability. It is reasonable for a brake disc to last at least 20,000 miles and probably more like 50,000 on any car. On a car that costs £30,000 the higher end of the range would be more reasonable, and 7,000 is definitely not.

Either the dealer is lying about this 'dangerous' scoring to try to make easy money or they're selling a sub-standard product.

It is reasonable for a brake disc to last at least 20,000 miles and probably more like 50,000 on any car.

Depends on use as you know, with some heavy braking you may not get 10k out of discs or pads so to assume its reasonable to expect a certain mileage I would disagree, but then we haven`t seen the scoring yet so may not be as bad as made out

But I certainly wouldn`t expect 20k from discs, If I got that I would be pleased, but never got that from any car.

Depends on use as you know, with some heavy braking you may not get 10k out of discs or pads so to assume its reasonable to expect a certain mileage I would disagree, but then we haven`t seen the scoring yet so may not be as bad as made out. But I certainly wouldn`t expect 20k from discs, If I got that I would be pleased, but never got that from any car.

About 30 years ago I was given a pool car (a Peugeot 309) and immediately noticed that the brakes sounded like metal-to-metal contact. The car had about 16K on the clock IIRC. None of my own cars have ever worn pads (pads went first back then) at that rate, but it shows what can happen to cars driven by non-owners.

I drove about 100 miles each way using engine braking as much as possible :-)

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - galileo

It is reasonable for a brake disc to last at least 20,000 miles and probably more like 50,000 on any car.

Depends on use as you know, with some heavy braking you may not get 10k out of discs or pads so to assume its reasonable to expect a certain mileage I would disagree, but then we haven`t seen the scoring yet so may not be as bad as made out

But I certainly wouldn`t expect 20k from discs, If I got that I would be pleased, but never got that from any car.

I think Hyundai (and Kia) say this about wear and tear items.

www.hyundai.co.uk › owning › 5_year_warranty

Exceptions to the Hyundai 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. ... Clutch disc, 24 Months, 60,000 Miles. Brake Friction Linings, 24 Months, 20,000 Miles.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Crickleymal

I used to drive 20k miles to work per annum plus trips to go caving and walking. My brake discs and pads usually lasted 2 or 3 years. May be even more for the discs. I had new discs fitted to the front of my 2006 Sorento 2 years ago and they're possibly starting to warp a bit now after 20k miles of relatively short trips in a vehicle weighing 2 tons.

I used to drive 20k miles to work per annum plus trips to go caving and walking. My brake discs and pads usually lasted 2 or 3 years. May be even more for the discs. I had new discs fitted to the front of my 2006 Sorento 2 years ago and they're possibly starting to warp a bit now after 20k miles of relatively short trips in a vehicle weighing 2 tons.

And thats the same as a Corsa in comparison is it.....?

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - Crickleymal

Well I'm replying about your comment that you wouldn't expect brake discs to last more than 20k miles. I've had a variety of cars and never had brake discs last less than 30k miles. Whether or not it's a Corsa is irrelevant.

In fact I'd expect the rear discs on a light car like the Corsa to last considerably longer than the front discs on a heavy car like the Sorento.

Edited by Crickleymal on 12/08/2022 at 01:03

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - John F

Quite so.

Depends on use as you know, with some heavy braking you may not get 10k out of discs or pads .........

All that 10k presmably being on a race track.

You must be a very, ahem, unusual driver. On all our family cars (Passats, Focus) we got around 50k from the pads and around 100k from the front discs. Never had to replace rear. Current cars; Triumph TR7, has 72,000 miles and original front discs. Big heavy Audi A8 on 73,000 miles - replaced original front pads a couple of thousand miles ago - still has original discs. Rear discs and pads - original.

Small ridges can appear very soon on discs - they are of no consequence, but unscrupulous garages can draw attention to them and persuade unnecessary renewal. After around 50k I used to remove them, hammer off the rust (ram an old screwdriver into the vents) and run a carborundum wheel over them to clean them up and smooth off any ridging. I found this carborundum honing also works if they develop juddering, owing to areas of the disc developing different coefficients of friction (some mechanics call it 'warping' - but as any fule kno discs don't warp).

<< I found this carborundum honing also works if they develop juddering, owing to areas of the disc developing different coefficients of friction (some mechanics call it 'warping' - but as any fule kno discs don't warp). >>

I'd like to learn more about this theory. I tend to agree that discs don't usually 'warp', but I think the development of different friction characteristics is also unlikely. One of my previous 205s (F-reg, 1989) developed pulsated braking, which was temporarily corrected by having the discs skimmed. After a few Kmiles the pulsation returned, so I assumed the reason was variable wear-rates on the disc - softer and harder patches in the casting.

That was the only car I have experienced the problem with. Presumably curable by fitting new discs, which I didn't do at the time.

If you come to a stop and leave your foot on the brakes, this can lead to transfer of pad material onto the hot disc. Next time you brake, this spot has lower friction and a result is higher disc wear on the rest of the disc. The uneven surface then causes the "warped" feeling.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - RT

Such an argument would need to be levelled at the selling dealer, not Vauxhall UK.

Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - mcb100
Can you copy and paste the link to the technician’s video?
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - veloceman
Many Alfa Giulia owners had a similar problems with the rear discs.
Was hit and miss which dealer you tried but initially many were replaced under warranty, anecdotal stories suggest that they have become more strict and are now not replacing any under warranty - maybe coincided when became Stelantis?
Vauxhall Corsa-e - Rear brakes badly scored - madf

My 2012 Honda Jazz with 60k miles has original front and rear disks.. nice , shiny and unscored.

Vauxhall quality is unfit for use.

Get them repaired elsewhere and try Small Claims Court for replacement cost - you have nothing to lose.