Dishwasher - sammy1

Dishwasher packed in over the new year something to do with the water heater. As the machine is over 8year old rather than paying some £150 for a repair decided on a new machine. Decided to buy another Hotpoint a good old British company. The machine has been delivered today, made in POLAND. Nothing against the country but doesn't the UK make anything these days? If the UK is so concerned about climate change why are we importing almost everything we need?

Dishwasher - Brit_in_Germany

I guess importing all forms of produce will at least lower the national CO2 values.

Dishwasher - movilogo

UK does build things like multi-million pound yachts, super expensive cars, aircrafts etc. The issue is, those products are out of bound of common consumers.

Due to high (comparative) labour cost, it does not make sense to manufacturer cheaper goods in UK.

UK is effectively a service based economy.

Dishwasher - galileo

Dishwasher packed in over the new year something to do with the water heater. As the machine is over 8year old rather than paying some £150 for a repair decided on a new machine. Decided to buy another Hotpoint a good old British company. The machine has been delivered today, made in POLAND. Nothing against the country but doesn't the UK make anything these days? If the UK is so concerned about climate change why are we importing almost everything we need?

Wages and therefore costs are lower elsewhere.

Therefore sourcing things from abroad means cheaper goods and/or greater profits.

Until the 1950s Government encouraged exporting products to rebuild the country's finances after the War.

In the1960s and 1970s domestic consumption increased, workers negotiated pay increases, sometimes using industrial action as a lever, inflation grew.

Notoriously, quality and reliability of on - time production and price rises made goods less competitive, companies (and consumers) then found they culd get what they wanted cheaper and more reliably from overseas.

Iif you search for products actually 'Made in the UK' most of the time they will include parts imported or are extremely expensive.

Dishwasher - Heidfirst

Decided to buy another Hotpoint a good old British company. The machine has been delivered today, made in POLAND. Nothing against the country but doesn't the UK make anything these days?

You need to watch out for the consolidation of manufacturers & globalisation of brands as many of them are no longer owned by who you may remember. Hotpoint is an interesting one as in Europe the licence rights are owned by Whirlpool (an US company) whereas in the Americas the rights are owned by Haier, a Chinese company (through their purchase of GE Appliances) ...

Dishwasher - daveyjp

If Hotpoint were made in UK the Polish couldn't afford them and thats the bottom line. Lowest cost of production is key when manufacturing such appliances as its a large market with lots of competitors.

Even Bosch are not only built in Germany, if you want a German built Bosch appliance buy Siemens.

Edited by daveyjp on 07/01/2022 at 18:59

Dishwasher - bathtub tom

When I purchased my last dishwasher, I found Hotpoint, Bosch and Zanussi all looked identical inside. Assumed it was 'badge engineering'.

Dishwasher - Manatee

When I purchased my last dishwasher, I found Hotpoint, Bosch and Zanussi all looked identical inside. Assumed it was 'badge engineering'.

There certainly is some of that, especially with dishwashers although I thought BSH (Bosch, Siemens & Neff principally) made the Bosch ones and Electrolux the Zanussi.I would gues Electrolux might have made 'Hotpoint' dishwashers

I can't recall whether Hotpoint Europe ever made dishwashers although I think Indesit did. The European Hotpoint company became synonymous with Indesit a good few years ago and I think most manufacturing now is in Poland and Italy, so the dishwasher probably is made by Hotpoint/Indesit which is I think still owned or partly owned by Whirlpool.

The only former Hotpoint plant still producing in the UK is making dryers I believe, for what brand I don't know.

Hard to know what brands to go for now, with so much corporate activity and licensing going on - we have just about finished building a new house and the built in dishwasher is a Siemens, because that's the only brand Magnet sell. We eschewed their Siemens ovens because at the moment only Neff does a 'slide and hide' door (the oven stack is in a limited space) so we sourced those ourselves. I'm currently shopping for a washer and dryer, and I've decided to go with Bosch. In our last house we had a Miele washer and dishwasher which both lasted nearly 20 years before being written off after a house fire. The washer cost me about £50 to fix when the control board cracked, they were brilliant. But they are now very expensive and allegedly not as well engineered. I can tell you that Miele doesn't make its own refrigeration products either - I nearly bought one a few years ago until I found that it was in fact a Liebherr so I bought one of those instead as it was cheaper!

Dishwasher - FP

"Even Bosch are not only built in Germany..."

Indeed. My Polish nephew (my wife is Polish - it's her sister's son) works for Bosch in Poland.

By the way, white goods are expensive in Poland - even if they're made there. It's all to do with wages and cost of living. Basic things like food and drink are, by British standards, absurdly cheap.

Since both Bosch and Siemens appliances are made by BSH (Bosch Siemens Hausgeräte), there is essentially no difference between them apart from the lable.

Dishwasher - Xileno

My Hotpoint tumble dryer is made in the UK as is my Henry vacuum and EBAC dehumidifier so we can make some domestic stuff. EBAC have recently launched a washing machine made in UK with a 7yr warranty that is easier to fix when it needs it, for example the drum splits so you can get to the bearings.

Dishwasher - alan1302

Decided to buy another Hotpoint a good old British company.

Hotpoint were an American company...

If you were so concerned about climate change then why not just have the repair done.

And you have a German car.

If people want more to be made here they need to be happy to pay more and also to refuse to buy not UK made items and let the manufacturers know.

Edited by alan1302 on 07/01/2022 at 22:24

Dishwasher - Chris M

Don't know where our Bosch washing machine was assembled, but the main motor is Chinese.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< If people want more to be made here they need to be happy to pay more and also to refuse to buy not UK made items and let the manufacturers know. >>

If we manufactured more in the UK we would have to import more raw materials to make the products from. We dug up and exported (profitably) most of our raw materials (coal, iron ore, copper etc) in the 19th and 20th centuries, so we are now an importing economy. By importing finished goods we have exported (profitably) the labour cost of manufacture and producing raw materials.

And we can't even grow enough of our own food (and we prefer to eat more exotic things). Doesn't feel comfortable to me, but I can't see it changing soon.

Dishwasher - Engineer Andy

It's often cheaper to do all the materials mining and assembly of all the components and final item abroad then ship/fly said item here than do much of the work here. Sadly.

Still, a few British assembled bits of kit are still done in Blighty - most domestic boilers are (for some reason), though many of the top (by sales volume) manufacturers are German-owned and possibly German-designed as well. As others have said, much of the sub-components are foreign and mostly Chinese-made.

From memory, some other Building Services equipment is also manufactured in the UK, though mostly larger commercial stuff such as air handling units, chillers, pumps, etc.

Most domestic equipment - kitchen appliances and home entertainment electronics are either made in Eastern Europe, South Korea or (mainly) China.

Most UK-manufactured equipment tends to be high-end commercial, industrial/scientific stuff (including pharma, satellite and defence tech) or related to niche markets like motorsport.

The days of us mass-producing consumer goods for the world are long gone, never to return. At most we can hope for an expansion of the last category markets and high-end computing/software design.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 09/01/2022 at 15:01

Dishwasher - sammy1

"""Decided to buy another Hotpoint a good old British company.

Hotpoint were an American company...

If you were so concerned about climate change then why not just have the repair done.

And you have a German car.

If people want more to be made here they need to be happy to pay more and also to refuse to buy not UK made items and let the manufacturers know.

Edited by alan1302 on 07/01/2022 at 22:24 """""""""""

Hotpoint had a factory in Merthyr Tydfil making white goods such as washing machines and dishwashers and I have always bought the brand,

My original post here mentions the UK view on climate change. My view for the record is at odds with this believing that climate change is occurring naturally as part of the Earths evolution generated by our SUN and humans can do little to change it

For you to say that I should have had the dishwasher repaired because of my concerns over climate change is completely false and no concern of yours. In my view a repair on an 8 year old appliance is uneconomical with a call out fee of £129 to diagnose plus parts A new machine is £299 including a10year warranty on parts..

The fact that I may own a German car has no relevance to this thread unless you are referring to the on board diagnostics which the dishwasher has. I cannot understand why you mention it? If you are that interested I have sold the A1 and have a British made car a MINI alas German owned but a quality product. It is NOT electric has very good range but was expensive.

As I mentioned I have no concerns with the dishwasher being made in Poland, I merely posted the thread as I thought it may interest some

Dishwasher - alan1302

It's Hoover that you are thinking about from there...although they were a US company as well.

If you don't believe that climate change is human made then why worry about where your dishwasher is made? From a climate point of view it's only the delivery part of the machines from Poland to the UK that could cause a concern and expect that it's not a huge amount when you take in the rest of pollution created from making a dishwasher. I suppose you could wonder why the UK allows the sale of dishwashers when you can wash up without them :-)

Mentioning the German car has relevance as you were mentioning things not being made in the UK now...am not surprised your Mini is not electric though.

Dishwasher - Xileno

Washing-up by hand may not be the greenest option compared to a dishwasher, although there will be many variables to put into the mix. These things are always more complex than they first appear.

www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/dishwasher-...g

Dishwasher - alan1302

Washing-up by hand may not be the greenest option compared to a dishwasher, although there will be many variables to put into the mix. These things are always more complex than they first appear.

www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/dishwasher-...g

Interesting that they base it on running hot water all the time...I just fill a bowl and wash up...I need to find out how much water fills the bowl now!

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< My view for the record is at odds with this believing that climate change is occurring naturally as part of the Earths evolution generated by our SUN and humans can do little to change it. >>

If that is your considered view, then mine is that you should get real, raise your head from the sand and reconsider the science more carefully. Atmospheric CO2 levels have been monotored for about 150 years, as has the behaviour of the sun, which has not shown any sudden change during that period AFAIK.

I prefer to believe the results of scientific experiment, rather than hoping that it isn't actually anyone's fault.

Dishwasher - ExA35Owner

14 zettajoules of extra heat energy in the oceans last year. Another record.

Another Record: Ocean Warming Continues through 2021 despite La Niña Conditions

doi.org/10.1007/s00376-022-1461-3

Dishwasher - galileo

<< My view for the record is at odds with this believing that climate change is occurring naturally as part of the Earths evolution generated by our SUN and humans can do little to change it. >>

If that is your considered view, then mine is that you should get real, raise your head from the sand and reconsider the science more carefully. Atmospheric CO2 levels have been monotored for about 150 years, as has the behaviour of the sun, which has not shown any sudden change during that period AFAIK.

I prefer to believe the results of scientific experiment, rather than hoping that it isn't actually anyone's fault.

Knowing how human behaviour is governed mainly by self interest, the 'zero carbon' plan is never going to work on a global scale.

Consider the emissions necessarily due to heating, transport, construction and manufacturing which can not be avoided, as not all such activities can be electrified using zero carbon power, and present lifestyles in the advanced economies are what the rest of the world aims for.

This is why there is the conspiracy theory that 'the powers that run the world' want somehow to reduce the human population to a small fraction of current numbers (when a primitive lifestyle would be sustainable andCO2 emissions near zero.)

Dishwasher - _

My dishwaher is over 50 years old, but sometimes tells me to do it myself!

Just remember that unlike your cars, trading in an old model, especially for a younger one is not very cost effective in such circumstances!

Though it might be worth buying an actual machine, enabling the original dishwasher to expand their current duties to making more cups of tea...

Dishwasher - _

Just remember that unlike your cars, trading in an old model, especially for a younger one is not very cost effective in such circumstances!

Though it might be worth buying an actual machine, enabling the original dishwasher to expand their current duties to making more cups of tea...

The MK1 model is now 69 years old, and from youngroverbelles reports no longer doing housework or cleanup after cats. Still, she did produce 2 beautiful daughters..

Thanks for the suggestion, but swmbo needs a serious training course in making "proper" british tea, and anyway, a new machine to do dishes would mean redoing the whole kitchen.

The MK1 model is now 69 years old, and from youngroverbelles reports no longer doing housework or cleanup after cats. Still, she did produce 2 beautiful daughters..

Thanks for the suggestion, but swmbo needs a serious training course in making "proper" british tea, and anyway, a new machine to do dishes would mean redoing the whole kitchen.

((chuckle))

Dishwasher - _

((chuckle))

It would be cheaper to buy a brand new Korando than doing the kitchen again......

Ditto for chuckles.

Dishwasher - focussed

"Knowing how human behaviour is governed mainly by self interest, the 'zero carbon' plan is never going to work on a global scale"

Zero Carbon is the climate alarmist's version of perpetual motion,

It is impossible to achieve.

Dishwasher - sammy1

I don't think you spouting all this hot air is going to help.

Since the earth was born billions of years ago it has evolved over many heating and cooling phases and indeed even the continents were not originally where they are now and are still moving as is the who geology of volcanoes etc. The whole of the UK was once under the ocean as witness by the recent discovery of a giant shark type fossil in a Rutland reservoir. if you think the Earth is at a standstill it is you who needs to wake up.

. Big business is driving the climate change scenario for commercial reasons and a lot of countries are not playing ball forming their own opinions. All this Carbon Trading business is nonsense which hardly anybody understands.

If there was real concern the forecasts of sea level rising by 15 inches or so should be driving panic stations through some cities and steps taken to protect them. I see no evidence of this. The Thames barrier was built to stop storm surges in the North sea which devastated low lying areas of the east coast.

It is well known that are sun goes though periods of relative temperature fluctuations which affect the whole of our solar system.

I accept that humans are not helping matters but is not the catastrophe that is being portrayed.

I guess the same "big business" which is seeking to kill off the world's population by vaccination or microchip implant and irradiation via 5G towers.

Dishwasher - sammy1

I guess the same "big business" which is seeking to kill off the world's population by vaccination or microchip implant and irradiation via 5G towers.

Great idea because it is the Human Race that is the most selfish,. dirtiest polluting and growing species on the planet at the expense of every other living thing. More species are going extinct in the last 150 years than ever before as the human race continues to pollute everything in its wake.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< I don't think you spouting all this hot air is going to help. >>

There's no point continuing any discussion if the response is to dismiss a reasonable viewpoint as 'hot air'. Please explain how your air is any less hot, or more to the point, provide a serious alternative explanation for the accelerating rise in atmospheric CO2 since the start of the Industrial Revolution ?

I must assume you don't believe that has any connection with rising global temperature ? It is easy to talk about temperature fluctuations over geological time (unproven, but plausible) - those changes would be undetectable over a couple of centuries.

Edited by Andrew-T on 13/01/2022 at 15:57

Dishwasher - sammy1

There's no point continuing any discussion if the response is to dismiss a reasonable viewpoint as 'hot air'. Please explain how your air is any less hot, or more to the point, provide a serious alternative explanation for the accelerating rise in atmospheric CO2 since the start of the Industrial Revolution ?

I must assume you don't believe that has any connection with rising global temperature ? It is easy to talk about temperature fluctuations over geological time (unproven, but plausible) - those changes would be undetectable over a couple of centuries.

My head is not in the sand as you put it. I have mentioned twice in this thread that humans are not helping. Humans are destroying their own environment slowly but surely. Only today there is a damming report on the pollution in Britain's rivers,streams and coastal regions.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< I have mentioned twice in this thread that humans are not helping. Humans are destroying their own environment slowly but surely. >>

Looking again at your earlier post, it seems I may have misinterpreted it, as opposite meanings may be read due to the absence of commas. But while discussing climate change, you also say that it is uneconomical for you to repair a dishwasher, quoting costs. It might however be ecologically sound, if the necessary parts are still available - which is often not the case, sadly.

Dishwasher - sammy1

Thanks for your honest assessment. Yes I did seriously consider a repair on the dishwasher as I do on all our possessions. With the dishwasher as mentioned before it was just not on. The heater was faulty and not economical a bit like considering on an old car. You spend until a biggy comes along. Their is also the problem of disposal of the old one. The retailer wanted some £40 to take it away so it will be the local scrappy van that tours around. Another thing with the new machine is the packaging material. I am left with a stack of plastic, cardboard and polystyrene. The council will take the cardboard/plastic but the polystyrene is a bin job over a few weeks. The sheer volume of this stuff must have a big impact on landfill and if you are not careful breaking it makes hell of a mess. I have always repaired things as I believe most people do before all this green ""nonsense"" was even thought of. I am sick of not being able to think without some mention of carbon footprint before you can even breath. It is the same with food either calories or how it is ethically sourced. All very noble but.

In this modern world we are going backwards. Things are not made to repair and when they can be it is often just uneconomical

As to the dishwasher the wife and I are reading the instructions. There are about 6 time settings, temperatures and energy consumptions to 2 decimal places of a kWh/cycle. I have delegated the kitchen to her and I will look after the car. There is agreement on this!

Dishwasher - Xileno

Sometimes one tries to do the 'right thing' but hurdles are (deliberately?) thrown in front of us. Back in 2009 my then ten year old washing machine stopped working, I was pretty sure the timer was at fautly but got my friendly white goods repair man to confirm it.. He quoted about £180 (2009 price) so you start to think is it worth it on a ten year old machine, I could repair and then six months later something else.

Anyway I got to hear of a company in the Midlands that did reconditioned timers on an exchange basis. I got in touch giving my model number, "oh sorry we can't get the parts for that model". Grrr! But then you think I could go out an buy a brand new timer so the parts are being manufactured somewhere by some company to create the new ones. It sounded to me like the parts were being deliberately withheld from the repair trade. In the end I got so fed up with it all and the washing was piling up I got a new Bosch for £270, three year warranty and has give fifteen years service with no problems (how that for tempting fate?)

I was a great fan of the ISE company that tried to break this nonsense and created products that had ease of maintenance and cheap spares at the heart of the business model. Sadly they went under. Possibly too ahead of their time? I am pleased to see that the EBAC company I mentioned above is at least incorporating some of their philosophy in their washer, you can at least split the drum to get to the bearings unlike most manufacturers where the plastic drum is welded.

Edited by Xileno on 14/01/2022 at 10:28

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

The council will take the cardboard/plastic but the polystyrene is a bin job over a few weeks. The sheer volume of this stuff must have a big impact on landfill and if you are not careful breaking it makes hell of a mess.

With care it is possible to melt down the polystyrene without setting fire to it (if you do that it burns slowly making very sooty smoke). But as it weighs very little it can be made into a small sticky blob, which will only need one trip to the tip !! A heat gun should do it, it melts not much over 100°C IIRC.

Dishwasher - focussed

There is no proper scientific proof that an increased level of atmospheric CO2 level causes global warming. I use the term global warming here instead of the current catch all "climate change" term, where everything weather-wise that happens is deemed to be caused by climate change.

https://www.inquisitr.com/1234575/nasa-scientist-global-warming-is-nonsense/

Edited by focussed on 14/01/2022 at 11:17

See e.g.

This is a perfect example of why scientists don't vote Republican | The Week

"It's like saying you don't believe in the existence of cheese."

Dishwasher - galileo

See e.g.

This is a perfect example of why scientists don't vote Republican | The Week

"It's like saying you don't believe in the existence of cheese."

I note that the graph shown in the link is truncated, i.e. does not show the zero line, which would show the true proportional increase.

A favourite trick to sensationalise statistics by visual exaggeration.

You ignore the point being made.

Dr. Woodcock made the statement in the linked article "There is no reproducible scientific evidence CO2 has significantly increased in the last 100 years." In fact, in the last 100 years the CO2 level has increased by around 20%. If one statement is demonstrably wrong should and notice be taken of the rest?

Correction - 20% increase in the last 40 years, not 100.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< There is no proper scientific proof that an increased level of atmospheric CO2 level causes global warming. >>

Please don't start an argument about what constitutes 'proper scientific proof'. There is plenty of science to show that CO2 is a better thermal blanket than a normal atmosphere (N2 + O2). There is plenty of proof that there is at least 50% more CO2 in the atmosphere than there used to be.

If you can demonstrate that warming will not follow from a higher level of CO2, please do - with proper sceintific proof, of course.

Dishwasher - focussed

<< There is no proper scientific proof that an increased level of atmospheric CO2 level causes global warming. >>

Please don't start an argument about what constitutes 'proper scientific proof'. There is plenty of science to show that CO2 is a better thermal blanket than a normal atmosphere (N2 + O2). There is plenty of proof that there is at least 50% more CO2 in the atmosphere than there used to be.

If you can demonstrate that warming will not follow from a higher level of CO2, please do - with proper sceintific proof, of course.

Here's some proper scientific proof that casts serious doubt on the CO2 theory.

www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperi...8

Many references in the IPCC reports refer to the forcing of increased IR radiation on the temperature. This factor is much discussed [19] [20]. Our results show that the formulas used by IPCC Equation (1a) and Equation (1b) should give very large temperature changes. The values expected from the Stefan- Boltzmann law are much lower, but even these values were not detected in our warming curves. So the idea that backscatters from CO2 is the main driver of global temperature increase might be wrong.

Dishwasher - alan1302

There is no proper scientific proof that an increased level of atmospheric CO2 level causes global warming. I use the term global warming here instead of the current catch all "climate change" term, where everything weather-wise that happens is deemed to be caused by climate change.

A single scientist on a tabloidy news outlet website is hardly proof.

Dishwasher - sammy1

Hi there! ??
Carbon emissions from electricity are currently high. This device is over 80% charged, so you might like to unplug for a few hours.

I was looking at my December fuel bill on Octopus and the above cropped up in a little box!!!! I wonder how many carbons they used sending me this Are we really reduced to this, how would they know I am on their site on a plugged in laptop? Must go I am using fuel that I am paying for

Dishwasher - focussed

Of course- I forgot - You need a "consensus" of scientists to prove that any hypothesis is correct.

Consensus isn't science - it's politics.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< Of course- I forgot - You need a "consensus" of scientists to prove that any hypothesis is correct. Consensus isn't science - it's politics. >>

Don't be daft. Science advances by proving or disproving theory by further experimentation. You could call it scientific politics I suppose, but dismissing scientific consensus out of hand seems little more than provocation, which I shall assume it is.

Dishwasher - galileo

<< Of course- I forgot - You need a "consensus" of scientists to prove that any hypothesis is correct. Consensus isn't science - it's politics. >>

Don't be daft. Science advances by proving or disproving theory by further experimentation. You could call it scientific politics I suppose, but dismissing scientific consensus out of hand seems little more than provocation, which I shall assume it is.

There were consensuses in the past that the Earth was flat and the Sun was not the centre of the Solar system. These lasted for many years before disproof. Just saying. :-)

Edited by galileo on 17/01/2022 at 16:05

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

There were consensuses in the past that the Earth was flat and the Sun was not the centre of the Solar system. These lasted for many years before disproof. Just saying. :-)

Yes there were. But that was before western science got started, and the papal authorities did quite a lot to suppress investigation. Also just saying ... :-)

Dishwasher - alan1302

It's nothing of the sort - maybe try reading up about what it actually means?

It's nothing of the sort - maybe try reading up about what it actually means?

To be fair, just before the Big Bang Theory was accepted, the consensus was that the steady state theory was correct.

As with many other scientific theories that were since proven incorrect (completely or partly), a prevailing view often came about because particular scientists (e.g. Sir Fred Hoyle in this case) who had both a high reputation and a lot of political clout in their field (not just because of their scientific achievements) could wield a lot of political power.

Note that in the 1970s, the scientific consensus was that we would by now be experiencing a global ice age due to pollution. Many scientists back then pushed politicians into doing some very daft things, as they appear to be doing again now. We should not take what they say at face value.

The difference is now that many in academia are very proper political and use their profession to push such agendas. When that happens (similar when religion encroaches into politics, as it does in the Middle East), we need to heavily scrutinise what they are saying, given how lying, smearing and manipulation is commonplace to get what they want.

As someone who has worked alongside scientists over many years, I can assure everyone that they are not anywhere near as 'pure' and honourable as they and the Media (who have a lot to answer for on this score) portay them as.

Think of them as actors with STEM degrees, then you might see why they are not averse to nefarious tactics in getting their way or smeraing colleagues because they think or act differently. Huge egos, pettiness and agendas are rife in the scientific community.

As a self-professed 'engineer' you are no doubt aware that if the scientific evidence is inconclusive you should apply the precautionary principle.

As for insulting other professions, the less said, the better.

As a self-professed 'engineer' you are no doubt aware that if the scientific evidence is inconclusive you should apply the precautionary principle.

Not lying about my profession.

As for insulting other professions, the less said, the better.

Not doing that - I'm saying they aren't all saints, and many, especially those of proiminence, are often far from it - but NOT ALL.

Could it be that our resident engineer is not up to date on the Engineering Council's 'Guidance on Sustainability'?

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< As someone who has worked alongside scientists over many years, I can assure everyone that they are not anywhere near as 'pure' and honourable as they and the Media (who have a lot to answer for on this score) portray them.

Think of them as actors with STEM degrees, then you might see why they are not averse to nefarious tactics in getting their way or smearing colleagues because they think or act differently. Huge egos, pettiness and agendas are rife in the scientific community >>

Oh dear, more unprovoked snide remarks about stereotypical parts of the population. Even sounds a bit like 'four legs good, two legs bad'. In any case I would have thought an engineer might see himself as scientific rather than not. Accuracy and precision are required by both, surely ? Entrenched views do not help in either calling.

Dishwasher - sammy1

Surely the Covid saga is adequate proof of scientific opinion not always agreeing and conflicting advice everywhere you look. Also the global warming/climate change situation is another. People can and should express their views in a free society

<< As someone who has worked alongside scientists over many years, I can assure everyone that they are not anywhere near as 'pure' and honourable as they and the Media (who have a lot to answer for on this score) portray them.

Think of them as actors with STEM degrees, then you might see why they are not averse to nefarious tactics in getting their way or smearing colleagues because they think or act differently. Huge egos, pettiness and agendas are rife in the scientific community >>

Oh dear, more unprovoked snide remarks about stereotypical parts of the population. Even sounds a bit like 'four legs good, two legs bad'. In any case I would have thought an engineer might see himself as scientific rather than not. Accuracy and precision are required by both, surely ? Entrenched views do not help in either calling.

Oh dear, and yet more generalisations. I was basically saying that others professing that scientists etc are essentially saints was far from correct. I never said ALL those I worked with were unprofessional and nasty bits of work.

I would remind you and others here that you aren't averse to making 'snide remarks' about people who disagree with you (myself included), including those who side with scientists and clinicians who have a significant amount of experience and industry prominence - well, until, that is those siding with 'the consensus' decided to 'cancel' them for having said different opinion.

It appears some of those 'different opinions' appear to now be coming true.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< I was basically saying that others professing that scientists etc are essentially saints was far from correct. I never said ALL those I worked with were unprofessional and nasty bits of work. >>

A bit like Boris ! What you said (wrote, see above) was 'Think of them as actors with STEM degrees, then you might see why they are not averse to nefarious tactics '.

That looks rather like a bit of general advice to me. But to be completely general, I guess you might find impure or dishonourable people in most professions, so why pick on 'scientists' ?

<< I was basically saying that others professing that scientists etc are essentially saints was far from correct. I never said ALL those I worked with were unprofessional and nasty bits of work. >>

A bit like Boris ! What you said (wrote, see above) was 'Think of them as actors with STEM degrees, then you might see why they are not averse to nefarious tactics '.

That looks rather like a bit of general advice to me. But to be completely general, I guess you might find impure or dishonourable people in most professions, so why pick on 'scientists' ?

I wasn't 'picking on' scientists - I was pointing out that they weren't saints, because others appeared to imply they were in earlier comments as regards their 'professionalism' in how they conduct themselves on the job, and, I suspect because certain ones are espouses views that tie in with theirs, especially on an ideological standpoint.

I can tell you from decades of personal experience (including when I was at university as well) they are, in my view, at least as flawed as the rest of us, if not more so - hence my comment about actors with STEM degrees - which, as I'm sure you're aware, does inlcude engineers.

History is also replete with so-called 'professionals' - scientists included - who have done a lot of rather dispicable things or teated colleagues in a way you wouldn't treat a criminal.

Additional. Here's a story in the DT about their rank hypocrisy:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/20/people-glass-h.../

A scientist telling everyone that its really bad for us to have conservatories and we should dump them from new homes for the sake of the planet... televised from her own home's conservatory.

People increasingly won't take 'experts' seriously if they do stuff like this, akin to the antics of that berk from 'Insulate Britain'. Do as I say, not as I do...

Edited by Engineer Andy on 20/01/2022 at 19:33

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< I can tell you from decades of personal experience ... they are, in my view, at least as flawed as the rest of us >>

That being so, why make your original remark, as it applies to all ?

<< People increasingly won't take 'experts' seriously if they do stuff like this, akin to the antics of that berk from 'Insulate Britain'. Do as I say, not as I do... >>

Just like prime ministers and some of their advisers.

<< I can tell you from decades of personal experience ... they are, in my view, at least as flawed as the rest of us >>

That being so, why make your original remark, as it applies to all ?

I suggest that you re-read other comments. I've already explained why I said what I did initially.

<< People increasingly won't take 'experts' seriously if they do stuff like this, akin to the antics of that berk from 'Insulate Britain'. Do as I say, not as I do... >>

Just like prime ministers and some of their advisers.

...Or 'Leaders' of the Opposition or their underlings. Or journalists on MSM outlets.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< Or 'Leaders' of the Opposition or their underlings. Or journalists on MSM outlets. >>

... or absolutely anyone at all whose views one disagrees with heartily ... :-)

Dishwasher - galileo

<< Or 'Leaders' of the Opposition or their underlings. Or journalists on MSM outlets. >>

... or absolutely anyone at all whose views one disagrees with heartily ... :-)

Andrew, you seem to be 'disagreeing heartily' yourself.?

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< Andrew, you seem to be 'disagreeing heartily' yourself.? >>

No, only wearily. I was trying to point out the difference between accepting that there are bad apples in every barrel (as was agreed) - and implying that the barrel of 'scientists' had more than most.

Yes but the vast majority of climatolgists consider man-made global warming to be a fact and since it is not true, they are all lying. Q.E.D.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

Yes but the vast majority of climatolgists consider man-made global warming to be a fact and since it is not true, they are all lying.

Just what is not true - exactly ? Or is this just a wind-up ?

The latter, I am afraid.

Yes but the vast majority of climatolgists consider man-made global warming to be a fact and since it is not true, they are all lying. Q.E.D.

...and of course, if the vast majority of X or Y think something is true, especially professionals, then it must be. I bet many scientists were glad of that when they were being ostracised or worse over the centuries for having ideas and putting forward theories that were 'contrary to commonly held views' by colleagues.

If climate science was completely settled, then we wouldn't get the wildly incorrect estimations about it all the time by the so-called 'authorities' on the subject. Rather like a certain hot-button medical topic in the news over the last 2 years...

A majority doesn't naturally euqal correct in an opinion - as I've said more than once, many scientists have admitted across many subjects over the years that they often 'went with the flow' because it was easier to do so, with far less controversy and thus attracted more grant money for them.

Quite a few also joined in the 'pile on' when dissenting voices or colleagues espousing new theories which contradicted 'orthodoxy' (a VERY important term when considering science, especially now, as it often is acted out in religious terms - hence 'scientism') because being part of 'the mob' protects themselves from being hurt, whatever they may REALLY think privately.

They often change their tune - often saying they never were in favour of such nasty behaviour - when either incontrovertable proof is found or when enough notable colleagues with political influence change their minds or get found out as hypocrites or liars.

The media always have had a big role in helping resolve such issues, but at the moment they aren't doing their jobs (being independent truth-tellers) because most mainstream outlets are beholden to very-well-paying people, multinational companies and governments who essentially have them in their pockets, not helped by the way journalism has changed from being taught 'on the job' to via low-quality / biased university courses, which themselves have IMHO also (as with many universities) been 'bought' by the same groups.

It's also no coincdence that the same lot who argue for draconian global green laws also have managed to side-step them for personal /company / organisation use, e.g. no emissions limits on private 'yachts' (read $50M boats for billionairres) or planes, for example, and similarly will be coming for them to 'buy' (quite cheaply in reality) carbon credits that will stop most people going on foreign holidays, thus making it back to being the preserve of the uber-rich and powerful again, which is what they have wanted all along.

Dishwasher - focussed

Here is how climate alarmists fraudulently misrepresent the available statistics and data to make it appear that human caused global warming/climate change is actually as serious as they say it is.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8455KEDitpU

Dishwasher - sammy1

Here is how climate alarmists fraudulently misrepresent the available statistics and data to make it appear that human caused global warming/climate change is actually as serious as they say it is.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8455KEDitpU

An interesting read, just proves how you can take partial information to suit any argument

I have always formed my own opinions as indeed does Engineer A as above

Dishwasher - FP

The YouTuber here is Tony Heller, aka Steven Goddard.

I'm surprised anyone takes him seriously. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, given the way some people are so easily swayed by a few articulate but flawed so-called experts who claim to offer "Real Science".

Heller is apparently a graduate in Geology, not (for example) Meteorology.

Heller claims, among other things, that the sea level in Atlanta City has dropped over the years and is still dropping. I don't know if anything he produces has been peer-reviewed, but this claim has not. That doesn't impress climate change sceptics, of course, because a view endorsed by the "scientific establishment" is exactly what they do not want.

There is plenty of evidence to show that the majority of scientists who actually study climate change are convinced that it is currently driven by human activity. It is illogical to claim that the majority is always correct, but it is equally illogical to claim that the majority view is never correct.

Like it or not, the climate-change-deniers will always be associated with some conspiracy theory. In their view, the "Establishment" is trying to foist lies upon us mere citizens and climate change is one of them.

Dishwasher - focussed

The YouTuber here is Tony Heller, aka Steven Goddard.

I'm surprised anyone takes him seriously. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, given the way some people are so easily swayed by a few articulate but flawed so-called experts who claim to offer "Real Science".

Heller is apparently a graduate in Geology, not (for example) Meteorology.

Heller claims, among other things, that the sea level in Atlanta City has dropped over the years and is still dropping. I don't know if anything he produces has been peer-reviewed, but this claim has not. That doesn't impress climate change sceptics, of course, because a view endorsed by the "scientific establishment" is exactly what they do not want.

There is plenty of evidence to show that the majority of scientists who actually study climate change are convinced that it is currently driven by human activity. It is illogical to claim that the majority is always correct, but it is equally illogical to claim that the majority view is never correct.

Like it or not, the climate-change-deniers will always be associated with some conspiracy theory. In their view, the "Establishment" is trying to foist lies upon us mere citizens and climate change is one of them.

As you should be able to ascertain from the video from Tony Heller, there is proven widespread fraud and misrepresentation about so-called climate change.

My question to you is:-

If the cause of climate change is as true as the "consensus of scientists" say it is, why do they find it necessary to tell blatant lies about climate history which conceals the truth that, far from a warming trend there is actually a cooling trend?

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

As I remind you all from time to time, science evolves by replacing accepted theory by new ones which explain observations better. It doesn't advance much by fringe stirrers announcing that they don't want to believe a consensus because they just don't like it. Unfortunately today's social media make any nonsense available to a gullible market 24/7.

It is generally accepted that negatives cannot be 'proved', only replaced by better positives. So let's hear some.

As I remind you all from time to time, science evolves by replacing accepted theory by new ones which explain observations better. It doesn't advance much by fringe stirrers announcing that they don't want to believe a consensus because they just don't like it. Unfortunately today's social media make any nonsense available to a gullible market 24/7.

Actually, with many new - i.e. not conclusively proven and known 100% - theories, many who think 'out of the box' are thought of as 'heretics' and treated by supposedly rational, thinking colleagues as such.

Perhaps if you read some history of scientific discovery, you'll see the many cases where such people who in the end were proven correct were treated horribly, and very often by supposed learned colleagues.

As I stated before, huge egos and rivalries often mean such people will say and do things that most people (if they found out) would change their opinion of said 'renowned scientist'. It was why I referred to them as often 'actors with STEM degrees'.

It is generally accepted that negatives cannot be 'proved', only replaced by better positives. So let's hear some.

I would remind you that in the 1970s, 'The Science', including many supposedly world-renowned scientists, were adament that there would be a global ice age due to the pollution that many of them and their accolytes now say causes global warming.

They now even admit that the science of this field is not anywhere near 'settled' - hence why they often change their claims (though many appear to do so to suit their own or the prevailing political narrative).

You should be wary of 'experts' saying they have 'proven' this or that when many '100% proven' ones do not come true, but are conveniently forgotten about by the media. Remember Al Gore's 'hockey stick' diagram? He was given that BY supposed 'experts' of climate science. Similarly with huge numbers of 'certain predictions' that the North Pole would be ice free by about 2012.

My own belief, based on what data (which aren't definitive facts) we do have - and it isn't anywhere near the complete picture - is that human activity is having an adverse impact on global temperatures (going up), but at a far lower level than is being (often sensationally) claimed.

To me, that means it can be managed without using the very extreme measures many tout (which would likely enpoverish everyone bar the ultra rich and powerful [notice a theme linked with other current events?]) and over a much longer period of time.

That does NOT mean we should not act to curb and reduce pollution and especially material contaminents (such as microplastics and chemicals dumped into rivers and oceans [including those that cause changes to us animals] - to me, a far greater problem) and encourage by the right means viable and properly green energy production suitable for the locale and which does not take away land and resources from other vital activities, such as food production or ruin the environment / landscape itself.

It isn't all black or white. It does, however, require people to have a good measure of common sense and put aside egos and agendas that have nothing to do with helping people or the planet we live on.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< Similarly with huge numbers of 'certain predictions' that the North Pole would be ice free by about 2012. >>

The prediction is correct, but the timing was wrong. Which is the bigger failure ?

<< My own belief, based on what data (which aren't definitive facts) we do have, is that human activity is having an adverse impact on global temperatures (going up), but at a far lower level than is being (often sensationally) claimed. To me, that means it can be managed without using the very extreme measures many tout >>

In your opinion, when do data become 'definitive facts' ? Accepting that human activity is having an impact, you should also recognise that any attempt we might make to correct the problem will take many years to have a detectable effect. So the sooner we start to try, the better; and perhaps assume things may be as bad as some have suggested, not a problem we can safely put on the back burner.

<< Similarly with huge numbers of 'certain predictions' that the North Pole would be ice free by about 2012. >>

The prediction is correct, but the timing was wrong. Which is the bigger failure ?

He was playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order, eh? How can it be correct when it hasn't occurred yet? If I recall, weren't there some years recently where the pole ice cap got larger?

<< My own belief, based on what data (which aren't definitive facts) we do have, is that human activity is having an adverse impact on global temperatures (going up), but at a far lower level than is being (often sensationally) claimed. To me, that means it can be managed without using the very extreme measures many tout >>

In your opinion, when do data become 'definitive facts' ? Accepting that human activity is having an impact, you should also recognise that any attempt we might make to correct the problem will take many years to have a detectable effect. So the sooner we start to try, the better; and perhaps assume things may be as bad as some have suggested, not a problem we can safely put on the back burner.

A 'definitive fact' is when it can be demonstrated. My opinion is that we are affecting the environment but at a much lower level that stated. It would likely mean things take a lot longer to change - which gives us far more time to properly deal with it, or other factors (some which we may not be aware of yet, or the extent) may have more of an effect on global temperatures and may make our 'effects' negligable in the grand scheme.

Either may mean we might just have to adapt, just as animal life did over billions of years as the climate changed naturally, and which often occurred over a relatively short time.

The problem is that most of the 'measures' to 'reduce global warming' amazingly have the effect of empoverishing those on middle and lower incomes and giving the already rich and powerful far more, including freedoms because they can 'pay' for them.

There are many people, companies and organisations whose goals are not the betterment of the planet or humans (or any other life here) but to gain more wealth and power at our expense. That many useful i****s jump on their bandwagon hoping to get some crumbs of either later just shows how dishonourable many are these days.

Remember the WEF's goal for 2030 (which they took down after it got leaked and got a LOT of negative reporting via independent media): You'll own nothing, live in the pod, eat the bugs and be happy.

What a lovely thing to look forward to (except for the Bill Gates's of this world who will be living it up EVEN more than now, only with no pesky plebs to delay their flights or crowd resorts, etc).

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< How can it be correct when it hasn't occurred yet? >>

<< A 'definitive fact' is when it can be demonstrated. ... It would likely mean things take a lot longer to change - >>

Exactly so.

I thought that repeated analyses of differing forms of historical data have shown the 'Gore' hockey stick to be broadly correct.

I thought that repeated analyses of differing forms of historical data have shown the 'Gore' hockey stick to be broadly correct.

Nope.

Based on what facts?

scilogs.spektrum.de/klimalounge/palaeoklima-die-le.../

c.f. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_graph

Based on what facts?

Oh yeah, and wikipedia is the fount of all knowledge. Anyone - and I means anyone, can post stuff there. All it needs to be 'verified' are like-minded people to say so, rather like the 'scientific consesus'.

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

<< Anyone - and I mean anyone, can post stuff there. All it needs to be 'verified' are like-minded people to say so, rather like the 'scientific consensus'. >>

So that automatically means every Wiki thing is cr@p. Typical.

Better than a 'nope' though.

Dishwasher - alan1302

Based on what facts?

Oh yeah, and wikipedia is the fount of all knowledge. Anyone - and I means anyone, can post stuff there. All it needs to be 'verified' are like-minded people to say so, rather like the 'scientific consesus'.

I expect you never believe anything ever! LOL Even if you see something it may be your own bias :-)

Wiki is generally reliable though...although if you think something is wrong on there you can always update it.

I can just imagine it now: you lot saying to the actual Galileo "But the scientific consensus is that the sun revolves around the Earth, so it MUST be true"... and "lock him up!"

In science, something is often 'true' until someone believes and proves that it isn't. That doesn't naturally mean that it WAS true when the original 'consesus' was formed, rather like certain medical ones relating to a certain worldwide event at the moment.

But it still means what got you censored / cancelled' a year ago won't today, because those with power say so, not because of their 'knowledge'.

I would suggest some of you take a good long, hard look in the mirror.

Dishwasher - FP

Thank you for at last producing a post that is succinct, in contrast with the rambling stuff which I can't be bothered to read.

Let's bring a little logic to it.

Your point here seems to be that because Galileo's ideas about the structure of the solar system were rejected by the "consensus" of the time, but were eventually proved correct - that this means the current consensus over anthropogenic climate-change is wrong and the dissenting voices are correct.

By extension, this seems to suggest that any consensus will eventually be proved wrong. It may be nice to think of yourself and those who think similarly as like the heroic Galileo, but it's irrelevant.

I know you want to bring politics, the establishment, the ethical responsibility of scientists and so on into this, but this doesn't affect the difference between truth on the one hand and half-truth and lies on the other.

I will refrain from making any comments about mirrors, tempting though that is.

Thank you for at last producing a post that is succinct, in contrast with the rambling stuff which I can't be bothered to read.

Gee thanks...I guess.

Let's bring a little logic to it.

As opposed to...agian, thanks for the kind words. :-)

Your point here seems to be that because Galileo's ideas about the structure of the solar system were rejected by the "consensus" of the time, but were eventually proved correct - that this means the current consensus over anthropogenic climate-change is wrong and the dissenting voices are correct.

By extension, this seems to suggest that any consensus will eventually be proved wrong. It may be nice to think of yourself and those who think similarly as like the heroic Galileo, but it's irrelevant.

No - I'm saying that it is not set in stone in 'science' (especially when it is called 'The Science' when it is certainly not) what the consesus of the moment for some things.

The problem is that most of the 'normies' like to side with said 'consensus' because a) its easier, b) it comes with less risk of ostricisation and, c) like all mob rule, one can actively engage in its activities of berrating those few opposing them without risking being (proverbially) hit back which enjoying the 'benefits' of being seen to 'join in the fray'.

I wonder if all those doing so would actively and publicly own up to their misdeeds should another viewpoint become the prevailing one or possibly even proven beyond doubt.

I know you want to bring politics, the establishment, the ethical responsibility of scientists and so on into this, but this doesn't affect the difference between truth on the one hand and half-truth and lies on the other.

No it doesn't, but it does affect what people say to advance a viewpoint or to (as happens more than you might think in professional life) career at the expense of a rival. It doesn't also have to be party politics either - often it is internal politics in an organisation, where ego, jealosy and greasy-pole-climbing plays just as much of a part.

I will refrain from making any comments about mirrors, tempting though that is.

I question my own beliefs from time to time. I certainly don't think I'm perfect and have all the answers, but some people here think 'The Science' has essentially come with it all and what remains is mere minutiae, just crossing the T's and dotting the I's in comparison.

Unfortunately, science (including medicine) have thought that many times over the centuries, including more than once since WWII. It was because I read about this and (first hand) saw the attitude of some scientists I met when I was at school that I became an engineer rather than a scientist - whilst similar things do happen in my profession, I think they are to a far lesser degree than in science.

It's not to say engineers are better, it's just I find it is done differently, and more to my liking - though far from great (and why I've since given up my career because of the way things were headed ethically in my sector).

All I''m trying to say is to keep an open mind that whatever the prevailing view currently is may not be the correct one. It does not mean I believe in the exact opposite (as I indicated earlier I did not), but when other try and portray that I (and perhaps others on my side of the argument) am by straw-manning does not reflect well on them.

Dishwasher - nick62

Andy

Have you ever written a post that is only one paragraph?

Just asking!

Nope ;-)

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 26/01/2022 at 21:11

Dishwasher - Xileno

What a fascinating thread. Who would have thought a discussion starting with a humble dishwasher would evolve in such a way. Long live the Backroom!

Hopefully Sammy's happy with his new purchase.

Dishwasher - FP

# Andy

I wondered whether to comment on your reply, which seems to allude to some of the points I made.

Frankly, I lost the will do so after reading a few paragraphs. There is a bizarre lack of linearity in your responses any time a contentious issue is discussed. You write a discursive essay, introducing various side-issues, whether as a deliberate obfuscation, or simply because you cannot keep to the point, I don't know.

Edited by FP on 26/01/2022 at 23:48

Dishwasher - Andrew-T

No doubt there are still a few zealous members of the Flat Earth Society searching for scientific proof of their beliefs, but I think shoals of spacecraft taking photos have probably put that to bed.

Science usually has a consensus, and most of the time it lasts pretty well. genuine scientists evaluate new ideas and usually accept them in time. The essential ingredient is some proof which is reproducible by experiment, not just someone shouting 'fake news'.

Dishwasher - thunderbird

Unfortunately, science (including medicine) have thought that many times over the centuries, including more than once since WWII. It was because I read about this and (first hand) saw the attitude of some scientists I met when I was at school that I became an engineer rather than a scientist - whilst similar things do happen in my profession, I think they are to a far lesser degree than in science.

I studied Civil Engineering in the late 70's and attained an HD. I seem to remember there was quite a lot of science involved and still was when I finally retired 36 years after qualifying having worked directly and in allied sectors all that time. My last 12 years was at a Civil Engineering Consultancy.

It's not to say engineers are better, it's just I find it is done differently, and more to my liking - though far from great (and why I've since given up my career because of the way things were headed ethically in my sector).

Over the 41 years I was involved in the sector I never experience anything that made me want to quit.

I appreciate there are many branches of engineering but I cannot see what your problem was.

I studied Civil Engineering in the late 70's and attained an HD. I seem to remember there was quite a lot of science involved and still was when I finally retired 36 years after qualifying having worked directly and in allied sectors all that time. My last 12 years was at a Civil Engineering Consultancy.

Over the 41 years I was involved in the sector I never experience anything that made me want to quit.

I appreciate there are many branches of engineering but I cannot see what your problem was.

I worked in Building Services Engineering, part of the Construction Industry. Whilst it was never known as being completely honest, since I started out back in the mid-late 90s, things took a significant turn for the worse when the recession / financial crisis happened around 2008 - never recovering even after the sector did economically a few years later, and actually getting worse as the years progressed.

I was increasingly being asked to choose between even longer hours (which had already taken its toll) in order to do a decent job, lying/covering it up (which is what many colleagues did) about doing shoddy work under ridiculously short timescales or incurring the wrath of bosses and clients for refusing to do either (especially when the conditions I accepted positions was that overtime [and several hrs per day and on weekends nearly all the time] was minimal) - which also did not do much for my health.

I chose to leave and not return. The standard of work many companies were doing was far below what was expected when I first started out, despite (or maybe that should be because of) computerisation, especially when few employers were willing to push for better fees (staff were always being told that fees had been essentially flat since 2008).

I also noticed that increasingly staff were being taken for granted and hence why the average length of stay was increasingly reducing. You probably left just when things started to turn sour - as I think it did (without many of us realising) prior to 2008 as wages had stagnated because of cheaper labour being shipped over from Eastern Europe.

There also was an increasing reliance on using cheaper, inexperienced staff to carry out work that previously would've been undertaken by middle-ranked ones and properly overseen / checked by senior ones - I found that marking one's own homework is now the norm at most firms, big and small, in my sector, because there just aren't enough staff (of experience) to go round and they also don't have the time, especially when they have to go through so many hoops on environmental legislation to 'comply' with more and more complex rules.

I wasn't prepared to either compromise my ethics (i.e. sell out) or not and put myself in an early grave.

As an example, one very major firm I worked at 20 years ago was then made up of mostly long-stayers like yourself, then things changed as they merged with another and were then both taken over by an international big player. I and about 10% of the newer starters were out the door because of a 6 month lull in work (despite the firm making a profit and the other, who was busy, not doing so), then another 6 months later they were hiring again.

Things there were apparently (according to people I know who since joined and left over the years) never the same again, with the maximum stay of any new joiners well under 5 years and the average only 2-3. Many long termers got fed up and either left or retired early. It's previous stellar reputation is now no more, they are just 'another corporate player'.

I've spoken with former colleagues over the past couple of years and found things to be worse still than when I left. Even before the pandemic struck, many were disallusioned and wanted to at least change firm, but many are actively contemplating leaving altogether as i did. Unfortunately, as I've found, transferring careers is not as easy as it may appear if you want a similar-paying new career.

The events of the last 2 years have just made the situation on front a lot worse, with retraining being very expensive, not very good (in-person learning not good) and which has no guarantee of success / a job afterwards, all costing many £00ks. The situation abroad, however bad it may seem here, especially in 'Western' and particularly English-speaking countries is also not conducive to a location change either.

Dishwasher - thunderbird

I worked in Building Services Engineering

I also worked in Building Services from 1996 to 2004, could not wait to get out. Luckily I had a good boss for all but the last 6 months. But one of his fellow directors got him sacked for misconduct none of which was true but the director got the Chief Exec on his side and lies became accepted truth. Once that director realised I had papers that proved he was a liar he kept very quiet until my bosses case had been settled out of court, he then set about me but could do nothing because he knew I would have simply passed the info I had onto the board.

But in truth none of what you wrote in your previous post has nothing whatsoever to do with science, proven or unproven. It was all totally irrelevant.

I worked in Building Services Engineering

I also worked in Building Services from 1996 to 2004, could not wait to get out. Luckily I had a good boss for all but the last 6 months. But one of his fellow directors got him sacked for misconduct none of which was true but the director got the Chief Exec on his side and lies became accepted truth. Once that director realised I had papers that proved he was a liar he kept very quiet until my bosses case had been settled out of court, he then set about me but could do nothing because he knew I would have simply passed the info I had onto the board.

Sounds familiar.

But in truth none of what you wrote in your previous post has nothing whatsoever to do with science, proven or unproven. It was all totally irrelevant.

I was asked. Some here appeared to be saying I either wasn't an engineer or perhaps not a very good one and thus my opinions weren't taking note of, hence why I explained my circumstances.

Dishwasher - focussed

Why don't you try to play the ball not the man?

In other words try to understand the gist of what is being stated, instead of trying to discredit the source.

In other words try to understand the gist of what is being stated, instead of trying to discredit the source.

To be fair - in asnwering the questions about wikipedia on the other side earlier, I note that Stpehen Crowder and his team - who are known to be very diligent in their research before going to air - have shown that wikiepedia is not the unbiased 'source' of information it used to be.

They showed that because the 'moderators' there are selected only from people who share their pov (and that isn't conservative or centrist), it means that factual information or opinion (when proof of something is contested) is given - for example, by experts, that it is disregarded out of hand with no good reasons given.

I'm not saying that the climate 'science' (more like guessing even today) is not all wrong listed there, but other points of view, including from scholars on the other side or even just disputing parts of the claims, are just ignored and cannot post information or get some removed or cited as not wholy reliable / contested because X or Y.

Hence why I said we should be very careful - especially these days - of just relying on one 'source' of information, especially where certain groups control what is published and what isn't.

Dishwasher - Bromptonaut

Dr Woodcock's branch of science is Chemical Thermodynamics which presumably accounts for him working with NASA.

Does he have any published work on the climate and theories as to if and why climate is significantly changing?