How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Pbaz

Hello everyone.

I’m in UK and my car has just been clamped for no tax it is on a public road and has been clamped by an agency working for DVLA.. I haven’t been using it for a while and it doesn’t have mot either.

The paperwork they left on the car says it needs to be taxed before the clamp can be removed. In order to get it taxed it needs an mot. I can’t get an mot if it has a clamp on it so a bit confusing really.

The paperwork also states that “If you do not pay to have the vehicle released The vehicle will be removed to a pound if clamped. If not claimed it will be disposed of.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Bromptonaut

Scratched my head for a minute or two but then thought this must be quite common.

The answer is on the clampers website. You pay any arrears of tax and a surety fee, in effect a deposit in lieu of the outstanding current tax. The surety is refundable.

www.cartaxenforcement.co.uk/

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Ian_SW

The government website has the answer. You pay a surety fee (£160) to release the car and drive it to a pre booked MOT.

If the MOT passes, you can then tax the car as normal and get the surety fee back.

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Pbaz

The government website has the answer. You pay a surety fee (£160) to release the car and drive it to a pre booked MOT.

If the MOT passes, you can then tax the car as normal and get the surety fee back.

The car is worth about £200 I would rather just let them take it and crush it. It needs £200-£300 worth of work doing to it Just to get through the MOT and doesn’t seem to be worth the faff. If I just let them take it would that be the end of the matter? The INF32 form doesn’t make this clear.

The car is worth about £200 I would rather just let them take it and crush it. It needs £200-£300 worth of work doing to it Just to get through the MOT and doesn’t seem to be worth the faff. If I just let them take it would that be the end of the matter? The INF32 form doesn’t make this clear.

That's a bit outside the norm but I'd be amazed if you could let them crush the vehicle and walk away paying nothing. Apart from anything else the Bailiffs, for that's what in effect they are, will have their own costs.

A think you'll have to bite the bullet and pay the surety/deposit. You'll need to find out how that works, in terms of a refund, if the vehicle is scrapped or removed from the highway and SORN made.

EDIT: Checked the website referenced above and it's crystal clear that if the vehicle is no taxed you lose the surety. Nothing else counts.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/06/2021 at 09:19

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Andrew-T

<< The car is worth about £200 I would rather just let them take it and crush it. It needs £200-£300 worth of work doing to it Just to get through the MOT and doesn’t seem to be worth the faff. If I just let them take it would that be the end of the matter? >>

If you intend to get shot of the car and not replace it, that might seem a valid option. If you plan to continue driving, and the car is cheaply repairable, that would seem a better alternative to me ??

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - edlithgow

I did this shortly before leaving the UK, BUT it was a company car and they had just made me redundant after systematically lying to me (long sad stupid story).

Never heard any more about it, but then I havn't been back much. I assume it wasn't crushed, but one can dream.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/06/2021 at 12:35

There's a another thread in the legal subforum covering essentially the same ground albeit in that case the car was SORN. The Keeper in that case told the DVLA contractor to take the car.

He's now being pursued for c£540 unpaid tax/charges:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157146/honda-accord--

How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - Alicia Lynott
Hi original poster, please can you update me with this? I’m literally in the same situation now. My car is sorn but on the side of my house. Was ready for sc*** and now it’s clamped. It’s not worth £260 to get it out. I would rather let them take it but don’t want them to come at me with thousands of pounds worth of fines ?
How to get clamped vehicle MOT’d? - movilogo

www.gov.uk/get-a-clamped-or-impounded-vehicle-rele...d

Your vehicle may be disposed of or sold if you don’t pay to get it released.

It is an interesting scenario when car has been clamped and owner does not want it back.

The DVLA website does not say if owner/registered keeper is liable for any fee if car is disposed by DVLA. Nor it gives any timeline by when keeper must act to get the clamp removed or do something else.