Buying French cars - Rerepo

Given recent events in the Channel Islands I do hope people think long and hard before buying any French cars or going on holiday to France. Please do not support those who would cut off power to hospitals and nursing homes and attempt to blockade our ports!

Moved to General Discussion

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/05/2021 at 08:50

Buying French cars - movilogo

What exactly happened? As usual newspapers are full of sensational stories but not much facts.

I still don't know why the French behaved in that way.

Buying French cars - focussed

The threat by France of cutting electrical power to Jersey is a bit pointless as Jersey has it's own power stations on standby which if necessary can supply the island.

It's just that they choose to buy power from France because it's cheaper than running their own gas turbine and diesel generators.

The latest on the situation.

jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/06/breaking-fre.../

Buying French cars - Engineer Andy

French fishing boats now trying to blockade Channel Island harbours/harrass UK/CI fishing vessels, two of our smaller naval vessels been tasked to intervene to stop any blockade/other French shennanigans, French government's nose gets put out of joint and sends one of their own to the area.

Buying French cars - FP

It's the French. What does anyone expect?

To put that in context: I speak French reasonably well, I love France, its people and its culture. One of my daughters-in-law is French.

However, the French (no doubt with their history in mind) do love a bit of direct action when they're riled. Farmers dump manure in Paris, fisherman barricade channel ports and riots happen from time to time. It seems part of who and what they are.

It will all blow over fairly soon. I wouldn't stop buying French cheese or wine because of it; I wasn't thinking of buying a French car anyway. I shall be over to see my new half-French grandson like a shot as soon as I'm allowed.

Edited by FP on 06/05/2021 at 15:41

Buying French cars - concrete

Well said FP. I really like France and have found the people to be very warm and friendly on a personal basis. Nationalism will always provide a clarion call for those who feel the need to rebel or disrupt. Sometimes I wish we would take direct action instead of just moaning, but we are not all the same.

As for French cars, well I have had a few and found them somewhat wanting after some use. Renault especially with electrics and electronics, Peugeot with fit and finish. never fancied a Citroen.

Cheers Concrete

Often with them, Le Sulk all too quickly becomes Le Petulant Child.

Such actions often result because those involved don't like us Brits getting one over them (I suspect they still harbour lingering resentment over certain 'losses' over the centuries), plus it appears to be the default position of the French, but especially their governing class and ceratin industries - to blame everyone else but themselves for failures.

Giving in to the demands of a petulant child should never be an option. In this case, we should be firm, but fair - and that could include 'unofficial boycotts' of their products if they persist.

Buying French cars - _

(I suspect they still harbour lingering resentment over certain 'losses' over the centuries),

Indeed, I used to joke with my first mother in law, (who was a lovely lady and french) that they had never forgiven Azincourt, but she said seriously, no they never forgave Waterloo.and Dunkirk.

Edited by _ORB_ on 07/05/2021 at 07:14

(I suspect they still harbour lingering resentment over certain 'losses' over the centuries),

Indeed, I used to joke with my first mother in law, (who was a lovely lady and french) that they had never forgiven Azincourt, but she said seriously, no they never forgave Waterloo.and Dunkirk.

Interesting ORB. Dunkirk was a disaster but surely what happened after that should make the French admire us a little bit, even if begrudged. Without this little island standing firm and then managing to involve the USA there would have been no France as we know it. I think that is what they secretly dislike, the fact they were saved by a perceived enemy. Could be wrong but that would be my guess. Of course De Gaulle didn't help. How he could be so anti British after what we did for them I don't know. All water under now and I wonder if the modern French generation really think of those reason at all.

Still don't want another French car though, but not for Nationalistic reasons, just reliability.

Cheers Concrete

Quoting part of your post:-

"Of course De Gaulle didn't help. How he could be so anti British after what we did for them I don't know. All water under now and I wonder if the modern French generation really think of those reason at all"

From what i can gather from a few french friends, the version of that particular part of history that is taught in french schools is totally different to that which we know to be the truth,

The british deserted the french in their hour of need at Dunkirk.

The French army held back the germans until they ran out of ammunition.

General de Gaulle planned the D-day invasion. ( he was actually excluded from any knowledge of D-day because he wasn't trusted)

Etc etc - you can guess the rest!

Buying French cars - Falkirk Bairn

When De Gaulle was in charge in 1966 the French decided to order out all American personnel based in France - Army & Airforce .

LBJ sent Dean Rusk to negotiate with De Gaulle - to no avail. De Gaulle said NON to American military - all soldiers were to leave French soil - at this point Dean Rusk asked if that included the graves of hundreds of thousands of US troops & flyers from WW1 & WW2

In 1966 upon being told that President Charles DeGaulle had taken France out of NATO and that all U.S. troops must be evacuated off of French soil President Lyndon Johnson mentioned to Secretary of State Dean Rusk that he should ask DeGaulle about the Americans buried in France. Dean implied in his answer that that DeGaulle should not really be asked that in the meeting at which point President Johnson then told Secretary of State Dean Rusk:

"Ask him about the cemeteries Dean!"

That made it into a Presidential Order so he had to ask President DeGaulle.

So at end of the meeting Dean did ask DeGaulle if his order to remove all U.S. troops from French soil also included the 60,000+ soldiers buried in France from World War I and World War II.

DeGaulle, embarrassed, got up and left and never answered.”

Buying French cars - galileo

I think we should rename more London terminus stations.

I'd suggest Crecy, Agincourt, Marlborough for starters.

Buying French cars - John F

Steady on - they might rename the Gare du Nord Patay, or Corunna. Or, heaven forbid, Hastings!

Fascinating stuff FP and focused. I heard De Gaulle pulled out of NATO in a fit of pique after a NATO meeting. France had been struggling with problems of nuclear fission both for domestic and military use. He asked that as a member of NATO the Americans should provide the French with the exact formula for the Atomic bomb. The American general in charge then is supposed to have side " Charlie, I wouldn't trust you with the formula for Coca Cola". At which point De Gaulle left the meeting and NATO. Maybe, maybe not but it makes an amusing and believable story. I had heard about the war graves but De Gaulle was beyond being embarrassed by that time he was very dictatorial and his word was law. Pity we and the French could have been better partners without all the rancour he engendered.

Cheers Concrete

Steady on - they might rename the Gare du Nord Patay, or Corunna. Or, heaven forbid, Hastings!

The difference is we'd think nothing of it, whilst they would be eternally offended. As per usual. Hence 'Le Sulk'. Besides, we have significantly more battle/war victories to name our stations, ships, etc after than they do. :-)

Buying French cars - nick62

The 6th May was a handy day to "send some warships" to show those pesky foreigners who's boss.

Buying French cars - galileo

The difference is we'd think nothing of it, whilst they would be eternally offended. As per usual. Hence 'Le Sulk'. Besides, we have significantly more battle/war victories to name our stations, ships, etc after than they do. :-)

If they try to claim the Norman Conquest as a French victory, point out that the Normans were of Scandinavian Viking descent, so not French.

Buying French cars - Brit_in_Germany

I guess Iam crazy to be about to take delivery of a French (Renault) electric car then.

Buying French cars - Paul_1

Leaving the political debate to one side for a moment, i would have always steered clear of french cars anyway. They had a bad name.

But ended up getting a small citroen c3 for the daughter many moons ago. It was a decent little car. Maybe they make ok small cars.

Buying French cars - Xileno

I've always quite liked Renaults, I had a Megane MK2 diesel that gave good service. Just a few silly electrical gadgets went wrong but were fixed for nothing even outside of the warranty period so can't really complain too much. Very good engine and wonderfully comfortable.

I've always quite liked Renaults, I had a Megane MK2 diesel that gave good service. Just a few silly electrical gadgets went wrong but were fixed for nothing even outside of the warranty period so can't really complain too much. Very good engine and wonderfully comfortable.

I agree with that. I had a Renault Laguna estate from 1999-2001. Great diesel engine and 6 speed gearbox. Very comfortable indeed but lots of electronic and electrical niggles. Frustrating for such a nice car but I needed it for work and even fixing for free meant time and hassle I did not need nor want. Pity.

Cheers Concrete

Buying French cars - FP

I have two fond memories of French cars. One is of a second hand Peugeot 205 with the 1.1 petrol engine; it was fairly well used when I bought it cheaply and the performance was awful. I eventually tracked that down to a carburettor problem, bought a few parts from a scrappie and it ran well thereafter, returning over 60 mpg on a long run and being fun to drive as well as comfortable. It was navy in colour and the paint eventually gave up and became misty. I sold it at a give-away price to a student as his first car and felt the thing owed me nothing.

The other is of a 306 HDi - the only diesel car I've had and it was a great car. As regards handling, it seemed to be glued to the road, was reliable except for a wiper motor failure and a strange problem with the steering wheel indicator stalk - both, I suppose classic French electrical system issues. Never got less than 53 mpg no matter how I drove it. Got rid when the mileage went beyond 100,000 and I suspected big bills might be in the offing, but there was nothing wrong with it.

Buying French cars - Bromptonaut

Since 1989 we've run 5 Citroens (2*BX, 2*Berlingo and a Xantia) and also a 205. All except the first BX were diesels. At least three went well beyond 100,000 miles. The Xantia had periods of being a workshop queen but both Berlingos were near faultless other than wear/tear parts.