Lockdown #2 - mcb100
I suspect that this (shorter) lockdown will be handled differently, certainly by new car sales.
We know that showrooms will be closed (in England) from Thursday, but workshops will remain open.
Where the difference will be is that I expect it to be a suspension of all sales activities this time, with no click and collect option.
Online enquiries and phone calls will be answered, and everything diarised for December 2 and onwards. So far as I’ve seen so far, car production will continue as normal.
The used car industry will trade as best it can, with cars being sold from home as opposed to from a pitch. After all, we’re being advised to work from home where possible.
Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

Has anything been said about extensions to MoT certificates ? The last one must have expired recently.

Lockdown #2 - John F

And warranty service requirements? Will being a month overdue negate any future warranty claim?

Lockdown #2 - _

After all, we’re being advised to work from home where possible.

SWMBO certainly cannot work from home Was on leave last week and was asked to go and help out, same this week on leave aain and back in to do 2 clinics and a meeting,

I certainly feel for the those in the NHS/Vital services who are carrying on working as all those who don't really have any choice. Some of the staff in our local supermarkets are working, even though they should be shielding but financially cannot.

The sad bit about the whole lockdown scenario is that some of the businesses who managed to cope with #! will now fold under the pressure of #2.

This won't cause a recession, It will be a full blown Great Depression.

Lockdown #2 - madf

It will be a disaster.

It is a blunt instrument, it would cause needless damage to parts of our country where virus rates are low.

Quotes from Boris and the Chancellor 14th October

www.thesun.co.uk/news/12927011/tory-hawks-blast-na.../

Lockdown #2 - mcb100
So why has the government (whoever that is) done it?
Lockdown #2 - Bromptonaut

I think the numbers have changed. Worst case predictions that looked, at least to some, manageable are several orders fewer than actual numbers/trends now. If Johnson had been more measured in dealing with Labour's advocacy of a 'circuit break' early last month he'd look less of chump now.

Lockdown #2 - Engineer Andy

I think the numbers have changed. Worst case predictions that looked, at least to some, manageable are several orders fewer than actual numbers/trends now. If Johnson had been more measured in dealing with Labour's advocacy of a 'circuit break' early last month he'd look less of chump now.

Come on, Bromp, lay off the obvious party political spin.

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

<< Come on, Bromp, lay off the obvious party political spin. >>

Come on yourself, Andy, that's just an attempted wind-up. I don't see any 'spin' in that remark, and I don't read The Grauniad either.

<< Come on, Bromp, lay off the obvious party political spin. >>

Come on yourself, Andy, that's just an attempted wind-up. I don't see any 'spin' in that remark, and I don't read The Grauniad either.

Are you saying it was Bromp deliberately trying to wind us up? That sounds like the actions of a troll or flamer, which was the point of my comment - he deliberately put out in incenduary political remark to start an argument. All I said that it was uncalled for.

If you don't see it that way, then that's your opinion. Not sure what you 'also not reading the Guardian' has to do with the issue - I never mentioned it there.

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

<< Are you saying it was Bromp deliberately trying to wind us up? >>

No, I suggested you were trying to wind him up, hence my reference to a leftish newspaper.

Lockdown #2 - misar

Are you saying it was Bromp deliberately trying to wind us up? That sounds like the actions of a troll or flamer, which was the point of my comment - he deliberately put out in incenduary political remark to start an argument. All I said that it was uncalled for.

So in your view your own incendiary political remarks are fine because you really believe them even if the rest of us know they are nonsense.

I simply observed that a more measured approach to the possibility of and options for further anti Covid precuations, one that didn't play to his own gallery at PMQ's, would have left Johnson less vulnerable than he looks now.

Lockdown #2 - galileo

1) Boris had a bad dose and has lost any nerve he had

2) SAGE are cherry picking the worst projections they can find to frighten people to obey their orders (as shown by the leaked internal paper in March)

3) SAGE and their allies are all in jobs paid by the taxpayer with gold-plated pensions , so think they are all right and stuff you Jack if you are just a working person or a small business owner.

4) None of them have any idea what else could be done that properly costs the effect of lockdowns on employment and non-covid health and balances that against the (unproven) health benefits.

Edited by galileo on 01/11/2020 at 11:33

Lockdown #2 - FP

"SAGE are cherry picking the worst projections they can find to frighten people to obey their orders (as shown by the leaked internal paper in March)"

I'm sceptical. Convince me otherwise.

"SAGE are cherry picking the worst projections they can find to frighten people to obey their orders (as shown by the leaked internal paper in March)"

I'm sceptical. Convince me otherwise.

Me too. I cannot see what advantage accrues to them.

Neither can I see the rationale that their conclusions are affected by them supposedly having 'feather bedded' employment conditions

For one, Whitty and Vallance used an assumtption to then make a worst case scenario as 'what will happen if we don't lockdown'.

Also:

Where's the independent proof of the reliability of testing and government figures;

Where's the actual proof of people actually dying OF COVID (not 'with or suspected [no test] with COVID) and not something else? Apparently COVID at the moment is the 19th biggest killer (with the 28 day rule, etc) in the UK.

Why are so-called 'experts' being only listened to from certain institutions and the others ignored or their views supporessed, presumably because they have a contrary viewpoint (e.g. from Kings College London and elsewhere).

Why isn't the media looking into the large number of similarlities between the pandemic that wasn't back in 2010/11 and now, given that there was proof back then (even reported on Ch4 News, for Pete's sake [back when journalists were actually still quite good) that the WHO, big pharma and others colluded to get governments to declare a pandemic and spend fortunes (though nothing compared to this time) on vaccines that weren't needed and didn't work anyway.

Why isn't the media looking into the agenda and power behind the curtain on COVID re: The Great Reset (Build Back Better), the UN's Agenda 21 and 30, The 4th Industrial Revolution etc from the World Economic Forum - an organisation run by unelected billionairres, officials etc who seemingly have more influence over world affairs than any government. Just have a look on the WEF website and YT videos. Hardly 'democratic'.

Why are all sceptical views - including people actually asking genuine questions, silenced or batted away with accusations of being nutty conspiracy theorists?

Note that in my council's area, no-one has died with or even of COVID since July. In the two next door, only one has. Total population roughly 300,000. Less than 300 died in TOTAL, and very few hospitalised at the moment. Why are going into lockdown?

The only beneficiaries appear to be people in public sector jobs who get paid whatever, online only firms, especially the huge multinationals, big tech and big pharma, plus the financial institutions.

Lockdown #2 - barney100

Talk radio is a good antidote to the government line.

Lockdown #2 - Manatee

Where's the actual proof of people actually dying OF COVID (not 'with or suspected [no test] with COVID) and not something else?

Are you serious?

Believe me I don't live in fear of COVID for myself - my defective heart is trying harder to kill me and I know that the probability is I will survive even if I catch it. But I do understand why it is dangerous to the community because at the moment it will swamp healthcare if not controlled. This won't solve the problem (as the last lockdown didn't) because when the cork is released infections rise. We might never have a cure or a really effective vaccine in which case it will be endemic at some level and we will have to live with it.

The biggest danger in dealing with it is ignorance. People who think it doesn't exist, refuse simple infection control measures, and the ones who have already decided that they won't have a vaccine should one be offered.

Where's the actual proof of people actually dying OF COVID (not 'with or suspected [no test] with COVID) and not something else?

Are you serious?

Believe me I don't live in fear of COVID for myself - my defective heart is trying harder to kill me and I know that the probability is I will survive even if I catch it. But I do understand why it is dangerous to the community because at the moment it will swamp healthcare if not controlled. This won't solve the problem (as the last lockdown didn't) because when the cork is released infections rise. We might never have a cure or a really effective vaccine in which case it will be endemic at some level and we will have to live with it.

The biggest danger in dealing with it is ignorance. People who think it doesn't exist, refuse simple infection control measures, and the ones who have already decided that they won't have a vaccine should one be offered.

YES - I am serious. the official figures in all four UK nations allow for a COVID diagnosis to be counted as a 'COVID death':

1. Even if no test is made. It can by a GP's opinion (and apparently they are being pressured by PHE etc into putting it on death certificates even when other illness is equally suspected - i.e. in the elderly and already sick);

2. Whatever the deceased dies predominantly of, as long as they die within 28 (down from 56) days. There have been documented cases in the media (though not well publicised) of people's deaths being attributable to COVID by dying of cancer, unrealted heart attacks, other diseases, physical injury/accidents, etc.

These 'guidelines' (by PHE etc, not ministers), combined with the above, should be scrapped. The ONLY deaths that should be counted are those where COVID has been confirmed by a positive test (I'll come to that in a minute) AND that it played a reasonable role in the death of the person - not that they 'had it' or 'may have had it'.

If that means more coroner's cases, then so be it. Bad/old data is, as we see in the media today - feeding into poor advice being given to ministers. The presentations by the CSO and especially CMO Whitty on Sunday were terrible - lots of incomprehensible data, lots of (IMHO) worst case or bad assumptions being made to then make one worst case the default 'likely' which then amplifies the 'new' worst case.

3. The reliability of the 'PCR' test (never mind the antibody one to say you had COVID) to say you've GOT COVID - there have been a good number of scientists (not crackpots) coming forward to argue that the tests are not accurate and that they cannot properly differentiate between any type of Coronavirus - a group which also includes a variant of the common cold - something which a LOT of people will be suffering from at the present.

None of the testing reliability, nor the positive cases or death rates have been indpendently verified by a body/organisation who isn't part of government/civil service or has a vested interest to do so. I'd like to see those scientists and clinicians who are sceptics generally be brough in to check them - publicly.

Notice also how the powers that be are making it very hard to find out what is REALLY going on - locally and nationally, and for anyone to verifiy it. My local surgery has been empty (including people waiting outside for appointments) for months, and yet when I asked one of the nurses whether they and the doctors were instead making house calls to see patients, they said 'no'.

They also weren't working in hospitals either. My local NHS dentist is also closed to routine work, only 'emergencies' and using a locum, because the normal staff have health concerns'. Amazing how private sector ones are all open for business and working essentially as normal, with no issues.

So what ARE they doing in the NHS? Other than booked well-in-advance visits to specific hospital wards, journalists cannot get access to hospitals or staff to verify what is going on. Were all the sick people or those needing diagnosis/treatment for serious non-COVID illness just all ok now, or are they being left to die at home and possibly added to the list of COVID deaths?

Why isn't the media looking into the possibilities of this pandemic being manufactured, as it seemed to be in 2010? There was evidence of collusion between the WHO and at least big pharma back then, yet....silence. Even the China connection appears to be in the process of being covered up.

Ignorance is not asking probing questions and finding out whether what people say is truthful. I'd far rather ask many questions and be 100% proven wrong on them than ask none at all (or leading 'questions' that are designed to avoid getting to the crux of the matter to help those involved keep things from us) and really important information and activities be kept from the public.

I would note that even today, PHE, Whitty and SAGE STILL believe that mask-wearing is just a 'confidence measure' and, outside of the highly ordered and expertly staffed infectious diseases wards and operating theatres, provides at best a minute reduction in virus transmission.

Far more likely that it make things worse, because everyone fiddles with their mask and touches other surfaces. I mean, do you have an assistant who puts on your mask (using sterile use-once gloves) and you never adjust it yourself, or if you do, including if you touch anything not setrilised, you resterilise your hands as surgeons do (not rubbing them for a few seconds with an alcohol gel) and start again? No?

Countries like Germany are doing better because they have far better run (middle and upper management [not ministers]) health bodies/services - nothing to do with money; the Far East is doing better because mainly of their climate (now proven to be a BIG factor) and likely far more local immunity because of previous oubreaks of similar viruses in the region over the years.

NZ and Australia have done better because of their geographic isolation and not being reliant on ongoing non-food trade and not transport/business hubs or as much of a tourist destination to keep their economies going - both a generally quite self-reliant or on eachother.

Lastly, I'm certainly no anti-vaxxer - I've had all jabs before - flu and tetanus included (and recently for the latter), but forcing people to take a vaccine when it has been rushed to the population in under a year when the NORMAL testing time is 5-10 years for novel ones is a step too far for me.

I am already hearing reports of measures being drawn up to forceably remove otherwise healthy people from their homes into interment facilities - permanently unless and until you agree to take the jab, in some nations (NZ and Canada). Other reports suggest even healthy people (i.e. even those with a negative test) won't have access to travel abroad, jobs in their own nation, certain shops and services, even financial facilities.

All for a virus that kills 0.3% and mainly people already near to death anyway, where 90-95% of those who get the virus have no idea they have it or at most mild and short-lived symptoms. Bankrupt the nation (causing far more death) and stop people getting diagnosed and treated for far worse illnesses for THIS and what is to come?

NO THANKS.

YES - I am serious. the official figures in all four UK nations allow for a COVID diagnosis to be counted as a 'COVID death':

I'm not going to run through this line by line; I'll just deal with the high level stuff.

The opinion of a medical practitioner is all that's needed on a death certificate. If the deceased was showing symptoms of COVID 19 that's enough.

If there are multiple contributory causes of death the death certificate will list them; my Mother's related ischaemic heart disease, congestive heart failure and the effects of a fall.

If a group of people think something is wrong they should be expected to evidence it. Putting up some sort of conspiracy theory and demanding it be disproved doesn't cut the mustard.

Lockdown #2 - Manatee

>>YES - I am serious. etc.

Numbers: You're overthinking this. Vallance, Whitty, and their statisticians need reliable and above all consistent data to underpin their conclusions. Many death certificates contain more than one contributory cause of death. If COVID is one of them and if there has been a +ve test <=28days then that's a death. Some deaths will be missed and put down to pneumonia or whatever. Others will be at >28 days of the test and not counted.

I don't know what else you expect. Are doctors really being pressured to attribute deaths inaccurately? Would they do happily do that anyway? Yet another 'conspiracy' theory that falls down when one asks "how many people would have to know about this?"

They need, and use
Infections - now built from population testing
Cases - again calculated with a contribution from population testing
Hospitalisations - reported, with +ve tests I believe
ICU cases - as above.
Deaths - reported and adjusted with certified cause from death certificates.

At intervals and with a lag there is some sort of reconciliation to overall deaths, which fundamentally do not lie.

Masks.
You are conflating the protection provided to the wearer (little or no evidence) with the protection provided to others when the wearer is infectious (some evidence). In other words, we wear masks atruistically - the people who don't wear them are advantaged by other who do, but selfishly do not reciprocate. The Peltzman effect might possibly reduce the benefit of masks but from what I've seen the people who refuse to wear them in supermarkets and yesterday in Screwfix don't bother with hand sanitising or distancing either.

What are GP's doing?
Absolutely no idea. Fair question. They are certainly doing some telephone consultations and have have been coining it as usual with 'flu jabs. I am quite concerned about the effect on general health, GP's are the guardians for many other services through referral.

Climate is irrelevant since we can't change it, but the virus does survive longer at lower temperatures. That does not account for Germany's outperformance.

>>I am already hearing reports of measures being drawn up to forceably remove otherwise healthy people from their homes into interment facilities

Internment? Fair enough if they won't have a vaccination without a good excuse. Same should apply to measles which could have been eliminated by now but for idiots. But I don't believe it will happen, certainly not here. And burial alive would definitely be a step too far.
I have some sympathy with the 'let it run' approach. The problem is that we do not have the slack in healthcare and the vulnerable who should be protected are in many cases dependent on younger people so isolation is easier in theory than in practice.
If the disease really is getting less lethal, this could become more feasible. At some point it will arrive at an endemic level which we will just live with. I suggest a trial in Milton Keynes.

>>90-95% of those who get the virus have no idea they have it or at most mild and short-lived symptoms

I don't know whether that is true or not. What is true is that we are only 8 months into our experience of this disease and knowledge is still emerging. What has recently come to light is that it appears in some cases to trigger an adverse immune response, with antibodies attacking the host rather than the patient. Perhaps we need to find out a bit more before deliberately infecting the entire population.

Lockdown #2 - misar

YES - I am serious.

NO THANKS.

If anyone doubts the danger to society posed by fake news then reading your recent diatribes on this forum should settle the matter. It can be lethal.

Lockdown #2 - madf

"SAGE and their allies are all in jobs paid by the taxpayer with gold-plated pensions"

I read that type of comment on the DT comment repies.

So I checked on Professor Hayward who has stated publicly Boris's delays in a lockdown has cost lives.

He (the Professor) is not employed by any Government institution.

Have you personally checked all the rest?

Because if you have not, you are making erroneous assumptions.

A typical case of not arguing but slandering your opponents.

No doubt you will apologise for lying.

Lockdown #2 - Miniman777

I certainly feel for the those in the NHS/Vital services who are carrying on working

This is the situation in my household. Mrs Miniman is NHS staff, not frontline, but key internal admin, and she has been allowed to work from home since June after spending 3 months shielding. For her, it's a good option as she is in the 'at risk' group after a serious illness some yers ago, and it was their suggestion to work from home. We're lucky, have the space, got a garden to take a break in too. I've worked from home for 30 years, but since she started, I've noticed how I've been relegated to tea boy!!

After lockdown 1, certain things were in short supply, will this happen in #2 as DIY seems to be a key activity to maintain mental health.

I just feel sad for the businesses who have were forced to close, re-opened and struggled with fewer folk around and now face another barren time - and possible closure/bankruptcy. The outlook is grim - vaccine or no vaccine in early 2021.

My sector is transport, and in the railways, they are looking at a scenario of 3-4 years to recover passenger numbers to pre-pandemic levels - and that may be optimistic at best.

Lockdown #2 - Steveieb

You must have been reading the article in the Sunday Times quoting the similarity between Covid policy and insanity ie doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome!

Lockdown #2 - dan86

You must have been reading the article in the Sunday Times quoting the similarity between Covid policy and insanity ie doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome!

The last lockdown has caused a lot of mental health issues my aunt works in that department and there has been a sharp rise in people being referred for counselling. this second one may cause further issues for people its not just people living on their own that are having issues.

The last lockdown has caused a lot of mental health issues my aunt works in that department and there has been a sharp rise in people being referred for counselling. this second one may cause further issues for people its not just people living on their own that are having issues.

As I've said before my partner and both my adult children have, in varying degrees, mental health issues caused/made worse by lockdown and isolation of long term WAH.

We need extra support via the NHS to help them through that.

It's a consequence of lockdown that requires mitigation; not an argument as to why lockdown is wrong.

Lockdown #2 - FoxyJukebox

People are more organised now and will have workarounds for everything....as for new car sales, I have never bought a new car in november or december for that matter.

Lockdown #2 - Terry W

The worst accusation that can be levelled at Boris is that (a) he naively or hopefully believed that regional tiered lockdown would work, and (b) he acted 3-4 weeks later than he should have.

But the likely outcome with no intervention is a simple sum - if the infections double every 2 weeks, in 6 weeks time the rate of infection will be 8 times the current level.

Hospitalisations and deaths follow 2-3 of weeks after infection.

There are ~300 deaths per day now, by mid December there will be ~2400.

At that level the NHS will be overwhelmed. Routine and emergency care for non-Covid patients will be completely compromised.

As on a battlefield the medics would need a triage system in place - those requiring significant medical input with a low chance of survival would simply be left to die (made confortable?).

All somewhat unattractive - but get used to it!

Lockdown #2 - gordonbennet

This isn't about preventing a Virus doing its thing, which has never worked anyway and never will unless you issue every living person with a full biohazmat suit, this about fear as a tool for control, and it works especially when almost the whole mainstream media, one or two souls excepted, is owned by those signed up, the state broadcaster itself one of the worst examples.

Truly sinister people are using Covid as an ideal opportunity to bring in whatever future they want under the cosy sounding Great Reset, which they make no bones about keeping secret but our damaged mainstream media fail completely to question so most people haven't the foggiest idea whats going on.

Johnson and the clowns he chose to work closely alongside are simply useful idiots doing the bidding of obscenely rich people with global dominance, read $$$$$$, Davos where billionaires decide how the rest of us ought to live in the world they want, you should be morre worried about the cure than the disease, just one more thing Trump was right about...you may not like it but Trump is the only person who can stop what is coming, if Biden (another Build Back Better ally) wins we have all lost, not just America.

If they succeed in this when you look back in 10 years at what has happened to your own world, or rather the world your children will inherit (mainly complianthaving been indoctrinated from the very first day they attend nursery school, phyically safer than being labelled dissident), assuming you're not still repeating the changing daily mantra via the idiot box in the corner, you will finally see for yourselves when its too late.

Yes i look forward to the ''conspiracy theory'' accusation as well as other personal insults, usually used by the same people who point and bark ''racist'' at anyone who doesn't read word perfect from the hymnsheet of the day.

Lockdown #2 - sammy1

Meanwhile Australia has declared itself virus free!!

Lockdown #2 - FP

"this about fear as a tool for control"

"the whole mainstream media"

"sinister people are using Covid"

"Trump is the only person who can stop what is coming"

Oh please. Not again.

" i look forward to the ''conspiracy theory'' accusation as well as other personal insults"

Nothing else needs to be said. Just read and ponder.

Lockdown #2 - mcb100
So every government in the world (including North Korea and Russia) have responded to the threat of Covid at the behest of Bill Gates and his mates, severely wrecking their own economies?
That George Soros has a lot to answer for....
Lockdown #2 - Brit_in_Germany

Yes i look forward to the ''conspiracy theory'' accusation as well as other personal insults, usually used by the same people who point and bark ''racist'' at anyone who doesn't read word perfect from the hymnsheet of the day.

GB, you forgot to mention the child trafficing in your diatribe. Surely that is one of your concerns too.

Laugh.

Lockdown #2 - Manatee

It's not about control, it's about not swamping the healthcare services.

From the BBC:

"...an official Sage document, dated 14 October and published Friday, reveals we are in a worse position than expected.

Scientists crunching the numbers estimated that, by mid-October, there were between 43,000 and 74,000 people being infected with coronavirus every day in England.
Their report said: "This is significantly above the profile of the reasonable worst-case scenario, where the number of daily infections in England remained between 12,000-13,000 throughout October."

Planning has been based on NHS capacity not being breached on the 'reasonable worst case scenario'. In mid-October the daily infection were running at around 4 times that worst case level. hence the action.

We are not yet living in a police state, nowhere near it. This is about protecting the community as a whole. Unless you want to forget the NHS for an extended period, there will need to be infection control measures. Whether that is being done as effectively and efficiently as it could be is something we can argue about.

What many people, especially conspiracy theorists, haven't understood is that while,to most individuals, risk to life is acceptably low the risk to society is massive. Then there are the vulnerable. The three Great Barrington scientists proposed giving the virus something approaching free rein while protecting the old and weak. The problem with that is how to protect them, and how to protect the NHS.

Remember "flattening the curve"? That's what this is, no more or less.

Our best hope short term is that the mutation of the virus that we are now seeing is less acute in its effects that the original. There is some suggestion that it is more infectious, but less deadly. If that is true, then Great Barrington becomes more credible, in my non-expert opinion.

Edited by Manatee on 01/11/2020 at 21:29

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Johnson and the clowns he chose to work closely alongside are simply useful idiots doing the bidding of obscenely rich people with global dominance, read $$$$$$, Davos where billionaires decide how the rest of us ought to live in the world they want, you should be morre worried about the cure than the disease, just one more thing Trump was right about...you may not like it but Trump is the only person who can stop what is coming, if Biden (another Build Back Better ally) wins we have all lost, not just America.

You do realise Trump is one of those billionaires at Davos?

I never realised you believed in all these conspiracies - I note there is no details about what the 'Great Reset' actually means - are you not in the inner circle of people in the know?

You can forget about 2nd Dec. Gove was on the TV earlier saying that isn't 'set on stone'. One day and the groundwork is already being laid to extend it, just like the last time.

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

You can forget about 2nd Dec. Gove was on the TV earlier saying that isn't 'set on stone'. One day and the groundwork is already being laid to extend it, just like the last time.

All of us lucky ones who haven't caught the bug yet can moan and peddle conspiracy theories until we do, perhaps. Maybe it just helps to pass the time, like so many social media.

Lockdown #2 - thirts

There is an alternative narrative, see link, that gets very little if any airtime from the MSM, despite being signed by over 11,000 medical & public health scientists

gbdeclaration.org/

Lockdown #2 - daveyjp

Thise medical experts that imclude Dr Crippen and Dr Dolittle as signatories?

Lockdown #2 - thirts

Thise medical experts that imclude Dr Crippen and Dr Dolittle as signatories?

I appreciate that they are some false signatures, but over 11,000 ! I don't think so

Lockdown #2 - _

Well, For those who want to ignore the "BUG" and those who don't believe it exists, I for one have no wish to catch it again.

PLEASE, please, believe me, Covid 19 is a very unpleasant experience, even if you survive it.

Swmbo is still working at the hospital, seeing and examining patients and so we have slept in different rooms for nearly 7 months and are doing enhanced cleaning and washing, but there is a limit to what that can achieve.

Walking the dog is going to be most of my outdoor activities for a while and any rare bits of shopping will be done at VERY quiet times.

Whoever or whatever you believe, try to stay safe.

Edited by _ORB_ on 01/11/2020 at 15:03

Lockdown #2 - mcb100
I personally know of three people who would still be with us had Covid not been here, including a recently retired GP at the surgery I attend, so need no convincing that this thing is real, contagious and dangerous.
I’m self-employed and have been working on behalf of a dealer group since early July as a Live Chat operator until my usual working world comes back to life again, but I’m not holding my breath. The group closed down two sites permanently on Friday, pre-announcement, and the majority of the teams at the remaining sites will be back on furlough on Thursday. We don’t know yet whether all the dealerships will reopen as and when this next lockdown finishes, or how many staff will subsequently be made redundant.
Despite this, and my abhorrence of this government, I agree that this lockdown is required, and the potential real tragedy is that it wasn’t implemented earlier.
Wash your hands, social distance, wear a face covering and follow the best scientific advice available - and that doesn’t usually come from YouTube - and we may be in with a chance of collectively getting it under control until an effective vaccine is readily available.

There is an alternative narrative, see link, that gets very little if any airtime from the MSM, despite being signed by over 11,000 medical & public health scientists

gbdeclaration.org/

The Great Barrington theory, or that of others who say lockdown's damage is unsustainable, have had a reasonable airing. There are a significant number of people on the government back benches singing from that hymnsheet.

The difficulty is the practical one; how to define the vulnerable and once you have done so how to protect them without imposing House Arrest.

Lockdown #2 - misar

It is time in this thread to point out that those posting negative propaganda about COVID safety measures on social media and forums like this are a major part of the problems we face.

They fail (or refuse) to accept that the most severe lockdown measures are only needed because we have already let the virus spread out of control. At that point there is presently no other way to prevent the health service being overwhelmed and deaths escalating to totally unacceptable numbers.

Accusing scientists and doctors of scaremongering when they warn of this is irresponsible beyond belief. Encouraging others to ignore their advice and simple hygiene measures only ensures the need for harder and longer lockdowns. Not to mention ever more deaths.

Lockdown #2 - Sofa Spud

It is time in this thread to point out that those posting negative propaganda about COVID safety measures on social media and forums like this are a major part of the problems we face.

They fail (or refuse) to accept that the most severe lockdown measures are only needed because we have already let the virus spread out of control. At that point there is presently no other way to prevent the health service being overwhelmed and deaths escalating to totally unacceptable numbers.

Accusing scientists and doctors of scaremongering when they warn of this is irresponsible beyond belief. Encouraging others to ignore their advice and simple hygiene measures only ensures the need for harder and longer lockdowns. Not to mention ever more deaths.

Exactly. I completely agree with you.

No nation on earth has allowed the disease to rip to the point that healthcare and the infrastructure to bury or cremate the dead is overwhelmed. Italy got near in round one and some parts of the USA too but not as a matter of policy.

There may come a point where, if the capacity to borrow at nugatory interest rates, disappears government will have to tell us to 'gird our loins' and deal with that scenario but we're not yet at the point where a government could cope with the aftermath.

Lockdown #2 - Terry W

Lockdown measures are an exercise in manipulating behaviours to achieve certain goals. Whether it is with malign intent is a different matter.

To suggest that the data on infection, hospitalisations and deaths is simply a fabrication is IMHO farcical and warrants the "conspiracy theory nutter" desciption.

One person in ~1500 has died with Covid - it is unsurprising that many know no-one personally, or even know someone who knows someone who has died.

The GB debate is valid - choosing between lives or economy is a legitimate debate.

The proposition that the old and vulnerabke can be isolated and avoid infection is at odds with the evidence. Many old and vulnerable need the young and healthy for support who provide a route for transmission.

Thus, favouring economy over lives is dishonest if there is no explicit acknowledgement that it will lead to greater deaths in the short term.

An explicit policy would be (for instance) - anyone over 80 contracting covid will be made comfortable but otherwise not treated.

The negative impacts on the economy of lockdown - mental health, jobs, wealth, lives etc - in the longer term may be a worthy argument but an evidence base is absent, and more unsupported assertion.

Lockdown #2 - _

I personally know of three people who would still be with us had Covid not been here, including a recently retired GP at the surgery I attend, so need no convincing that this thing is real, contagious and dangerous.

Of Youngrovergirls class who graduated from medical school in 1991 , Thirteen of them are in the NHS and others scattered throughout the world. out of 23 a majority have had Covid19, several have died, as well as one of the midwives on the ward and various others have been very ill.

I met one junior registrar who was doing her best, but was terrified and STILL getting on with her job.

I have seen the "advice" given about shilding and staying safe and will happily be obeting it.

In the extended family we have a lot of the younger ones in the medical profession, and I have the utmost respect for their bravery in getting on with their jobs. One is an ICU nurse and won't spaek again of the hearbreak she is seeing uo in the Northwest on a daily basis.

Edited by _ORB_ on 01/11/2020 at 17:15

Lockdown #2 - Bolt

we have a lot of the younger ones in the medical profession, and I have the utmost respect for their bravery in getting on with their jobs. One is an ICU nurse and won't spaek again of the hearbreak

I had 3 cousins who were in ICU in a local Hospital, all three died of the Virus helping others, and an Uncle with breathing problems also got it and is no longer with us but we were not able to go to anyone's funeral at the time

rules are different now but too late.....

Lockdown #2 - madf

You can have a good cry reading the comments on teh Dialy Telegraph website.

Apart from the deranged believing conspiracy theories, there are a number of the innumerate who thin k comparing total deaths in 2019 versus 9 months in 2020 proves there are no deaths form Covid 10 (Seriously I kid you not).

Then there are those doing sums of per deaths per head of population using figures for population ranging from 40 million to 55 million. (It's actually 67million)

And those supporting theories from people who categorically stated there would be no second wave,

As for all the Gates conspiracy theorists who believe Gates has invested in a covid vaccine and is standing to make more $billkions form the outbreak, they don't realise his vaccine is for animals..

And then there are the "let it rip" proponents. As they have zero figures to back up their theories, they can be totally ignored. No forecasts = no credibility and no way to measure anything.

Any MP who follows them is basically in the same category as the MP in the discussions about child hunger accused parents of being chaotic and the council leader said they should buy their food at M&S. (I assume he lives in a different world with servants and has never visited a supermarket)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8887749/Free-meal...l

I blame the apparent lack of mathematical and scientific training, (I am serious)

Lockdown #2 - Manatee

I blame the apparent lack of mathematical and scientific training, (I am serious)

I have the same suspicion. Yes decisions must be political, based on scientific advice but one thing that has sometimes come across in the briefings now and then has been the lack of comprehension of ministers.

Johnson - degree in Classics.
Hancock - PPE
Gove - English
Raab - Law and Jurisprudence
Sunak - PPE
Patel - Economics
Buckland - Law
Wallace - Sandhurst
Truss - PPE
Williamson - Social Sciences
Jenrick - History
Shapps - Business & Finance
Lewis - Economics & Law
Dowden - Law
Jack - unknown
Hart - Agriculture
Baroness Evans - Social & Political Sciences

Alok Sharma studied Applied Physics, Therese Coffey has a PhD in Chemistry. Minister without Portfolio Amanda Milling studied Economics and statistics. They appear to be the STEM graduates but the rest who have degrees studied Arts/Humanities. That probably runs through all main parties, of course.

Angela Merkel was a research chemist. Maybe this has some small relevance to UK having 300%-400% more deaths per million people than Germany - I don't suggest it is the main reason but it's interesting.

I suspect that's part of it (also, as I said before, it's also how health services in Germany are organised and run at regional and local level compared to the UK - mostly better managed) - though the Opposition are no better, but as usual the media makes nothing of that, including the woeful results in Wales and Scotland.

The biggest difference is that over here, the media has a far bigger impact on the actions of politicians and civil servants than on the continent.

The MSM have been absolutely terrible throughout the pandemic in their sensationalist, often contradictory and agenda-driven 'reporting', paying little attention to factual reporting, public service information and especially proper investigative journalism.

Going after people like Cummings for instance, isn't - looking at the science and actions of officials and public bodies, as well as private sector interests - is, but precious little of the latter, if any, has been done.

Unfortunately, most politicians, having little or no technical or scientific training and being beholden to grabbing headlines/placating the media, spin and playing party politics/climbing the greasy pole, as well as (for some) trying to get on the good side of certain high profile orgnaisations and businesses, will often make poor decisions for short term personal or party benefit, or because they can be effectively bullied by 'experts' who are rarely as honourable/honest as they are portrayed in the media.

Most, if not all have their own personal (including for money, power and/or professional [ego]) as well as political/ideological reasons and will use their new-found positions of significance to further those agendas. I've seen this first hand when working alongside such people on project work as an engineer - it has always been far worse in the public sector, but its still there across the board outside.

Don't forget that there currently is a HUGE amount of money to be made over a LONG time and huge amounts of political power to be gained and lost by shaping what is going on, even if many people are being used by those at the top in their 'field' as 'useful idiots'.

Science is at its worst when nearly everyone is in agreement even with limited data. That's when the worst mistakes are made. Remember when all the 'polling experts' got it spectacularly wrong on many elections and referenda in recent years? They took one 'authoritative voice' as gospel, all herded to that and got it wrong, despite a good number having contrary data to give them pause.

I have a strong suspicoin that this is the case again here, but is made far worse with certain people and organisations/businesses with a lot to gain (at most people's expense) pushing things in one (bad) direction because it benefits them significantly.

Lockdown #2 - Smileyman

This lockdown is a massive disappointment for lots of reasons, one being the work colleague who is supposed to be getting married on Saturday, already the party has been decimated, now the ceremony might not happen either.

As a person who had to shield and spent 4 months virtually locked away under a house arrest type situation, albeit rather comfortable I can say is that not being allowed out made it tough. Luckily I could work, so that helped. It is also tough for the thousands who work in hospitality, having their businesses closed and unable to work. At least the return of furlough will help to ease some of the financial woes.

Possibly or possibly not the tier system working properly could have avoided a lockdown, Where I do feel more scrutiny is required is the test and trace system, it certainly needs sharper claws so to actually achieve what it was intended and needed to do, that the possibly infected isolate and do not pass on the virus.

I'm very pleased Mrs S's car had it's 6 months delayed MOT last week, just in time before lockdown, the garage was pleased for the business too. I do wonder whether MOT's will be extended again, it's not right as for some this is the only reason the vehicle will visit a garage and checking roadworthiness is essential to safe motoring.

As for me, stay at home, working from home to continue, saved a fortune in petrol and servicing costs.

Lockdown #2 - misar

Possibly or possibly not the tier system working properly could have avoided a lockdown, Where I do feel more scrutiny is required is the test and trace system, it certainly needs sharper claws so to actually achieve what it was intended and needed to do, that the possibly infected isolate and do not pass on the virus.

The tier system or a national lockdown work the same way although to differing degrees. They buy time by reducing the spread of the virus but when they relax or cease the spread increases again. In the absence of a vaccine the only system that works without regular lockdowns is effective track and trace. As you said that must find every potentially infected person quickly and then ensure they are isolated before they can pass on the virus.

The UK government bought a lot of time during the long first lockdown and the summer lull but still failed to fix track and trace let alone solve rigorous isolation. As they refuse to even acknowledge problems it seems highly unlikely to be fixed in the next 4 weeks. So ...

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

Where I do feel more scrutiny is required is the test and trace system, it certainly needs sharper claws so to actually achieve what it was intended and needed to do, that the possibly infected isolate and do not pass on the virus.

A lot of things have been said about testing and its availability. Can anyone tell me the rate of false positives or negatives ? It's quite important to have some idea.

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Where I do feel more scrutiny is required is the test and trace system, it certainly needs sharper claws so to actually achieve what it was intended and needed to do, that the possibly infected isolate and do not pass on the virus.

A lot of things have been said about testing and its availability. Can anyone tell me the rate of false positives or negatives ? It's quite important to have some idea.

A link here

A link here

You assume that those giving this data are truthful. Where's the independent verification by people with no vested interest in being verified?

Lockdown #2 - mcb100

Here's an idea - if you're doubting the accuracy or veracity of the figures, why not find something that reinforces your doubt in them?

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

<< You assume that those giving this data are truthful. Where's the independent verification by people with no vested interest in being verified? >>

On the other hand, you seem to begin any argument by assuming any data has been massaged. Sometimes that can be true of course, but without genuine proof one has to fall back on believing what one wants to believe. You also choose to decide where vested interest might lie, which naturally means assuming that correct data comes from those sources which you favour - not necessarily the case.

Lockdown #2 - Terry W

Many years ago the proposition the moon landings were faked was doing the rounds. The claims were backed by detailed analysis of imagery etc and on the face of it could be convincing.

However such a conspiracy would have involved thousands of people - "set designers" camera operators, construction workers, transport, NASA staff etc. Just about plausible but almost certainly fanciful nonsense.

I can only feel the same about the conspiracy theorists on here - the media, medical professionals, politicians, scientific community, statisticians, etc etc would need to be complicit in the scam.

People are of course quite welcome to draw their own conclusions, but without very clear evidence supported by a wide spectrum of the well informed, IMHO they are not worth any regard.

Lockdown #2 - veloceman
This has been done to death on every social media platform in the uk.
Can we please stick to motoring discussion.
Lockdown #2 - Avant

I agree. I left this thread here as it affects us as motorists, and th first few posts reflected that.

But if it continues to be purely political, I'll move it to the General section.

Lockdown #2 - Manatee
This has been done to death on every social media platform in the uk. Can we please stick to motoring discussion.

Well it certainly engages people and generates a bit of traffic. AAs long as it doesn't get abusive I expect it will have run its course quite soon.

Nobody is forced to read this thread. Or comment.

Lockdown #2 - FP

I think I had better keep clear of some of the predictable right-wing conspiracy-led comments in this thread, but I would like to note the tiresome and boring stuff that has been yet again rehea***d on this forum. I find it irritating and exasperating, this dialogue of the deaf.

However, I am interested in the virus and its spread.

EA wrote: "All for a virus that kills 0.3% and mainly people already near to death anyway, where 90-95% of those who get the virus have no idea they have it or at most mild and short-lived symptoms."

It seems to me this is designed to mislead - specifically to minimise the seriousness of Covid.

The ratio of deaths from a disease to those infected by the disease is referred to as the Infection Fatality Ratio. One of the most recent calculations of this is from Imperial College London: "In high income countries, the estimated overall infection fatality ratio (IFR) is 1.15%."

Imperial College adds: "Age-specific IFRs increased from 0.1% and below for individuals under 40 years to greater than 5% among individuals over 80 years."

The idea that people who die from the virus are "mainly people already near to death anyway" seems to suggest that their deaths don't matter, or shouldn't be prevented.

The correct figure for the proportion of Covid cases where the infected person has no symptoms or "mild and short-lived symptoms" ranges between 40% - 80%, according to various sources.

This seems all to be part of EA's well-worn theme to attempt to convince anyone who will listen that a conspiracy of dark forces is at work hyping up a mild disease for their own sinister agenda.

Oh please.

What is predictable in such threads is that those who don't agree with the general view have personal insults and jibes thrown at them, conspiracy theorist being a typical example, withviews taken out of context and hints from one or two that their views should not be seen or heard, there's a word for such forms of censorship, but those with alternate view tend to be respectful that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

What is predictable in such threads is that those who don't agree with the general view have personal insults and jibes thrown at them, conspiracy theorist being a typical example, withviews taken out of context and hints from one or two that their views should not be seen or heard, there's a word for such forms of censorship, but those with alternate view tend to be respectful that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You are wholly and absolutely entitled to your own opinion.

What you cannot have is your own facts.

Lockdown #2 - Andrew-T

.... those who don't agree with the general view have personal insults and jibes thrown at them, ....

The 'general view' - that is the nub. A view which is very general - i.e. widely accepted - probably suggests that those who don't agree may have personal reasons for choosing to diverge, perhaps a mental block or even simply a lack of relevant knowledge. I believe the Flat Earth Society still has some members despite the huge number of satellites circling the earth, some providing GPS (motoring connection) and others the remarkable images we have all seen of the spherical planet we live on.

Those who delude themselves with alternative ideas which clearly are at odds with plenty of credible evidence may well deserve the label of Conspiracy Theorist.

Lockdown #2 - misar

What is predictable is posters who support their opinions with a cocktail of fake news and conspiracy theories. When faced with evidence demonstrating that both are nonsense they then invoke another conspiracy theory to deny the evidence.

So in their warped minds anything they read on the web must be true because it is repeated endlessly on the web whilst anything the BBC says to the contrary must be false because the BBC is part of the ultimate global conspiracy.

Lockdown #2 - FP

"... those who don't agree with the general view have personal insults and jibes thrown at them, conspiracy theorist being a typical example..."

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me; it may not be and it's possible to be overly sensitive. However, I carefully try to avoid making personal comments. That does not mean I cannot describe ideas, arguments etc. as ludicrous, crazy, ill-informed and so on. Rather as when disciplining a child, you can describe their actions as stupid, but you avoid labelling the child as stupid. It's an important distinction.

I'm not certain if the phrase "conspiracy theorist" is pejorative or not. It may occupy a blurred role like the phrase "mainstream media", which carries certain connotations without being directly offensive.

Edited by FP on 02/11/2020 at 19:20

And they there are, the four little troopers, right on cue.

And they there are, the four little troopers, right on cue.

I'll wear that badge with pride. Thank you.

Lockdown #2 - FP

"And they there are, the four little troopers, right on cue."

Oh dear. It looks like the end of any constructive discussion from that quarter.

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Oh dear. It looks like the end of any constructive discussion from that quarter.

He doesn't want a constructive debate sadly - he never does. He says what he wants and then refuses to engage in any other discussion unless you say something that is agreeing with him

Lockdown #2 - Trilogy.

Good to see this thread is no longer clogging up the motoring section.

Good to see this thread is no longer clogging up the motoring section.

Was it slow moving and in the middle lane?

Lockdown #2 - FP

I think the point was it became an irritation to some.

If someone found the topic and ensuing discussion annoying (which I can well understand), it kept popping up to the top of the list and was difficult to ignore. I think that's the "clogging" effect referred to - more of a visual thing than anything else.

I get that. My comment was an attempt at irony.

Lockdown #2 - misar

Irritating or not a far more important task for a moderator these days is to delete posts which try to persuade others to believe blatant and dangerous false news. It should not be necessary for more responsible posters to repeatedly deny this nonsense in an attempt to protect others.

Lockdown #2 - FP

"... a far more important task for a moderator these days is to delete posts which try to persuade others to believe blatant and dangerous false news. It should not be necessary for more responsible posters to repeatedly deny this nonsense in an attempt to protect others."

I don't think Avant needs to be told how to do his job. In any case, this thread includes posts which, although they may seem to fall under the heading of "false news" (just) are an expression of personal opinion, albeit (in my view and apparently of many others) erroneously supported.

We could argue for ever over this. In many ways, I feel it's better that this sort of stuff (tiresome though it is) is out in the open and dealt with by cogent argument, rather than being shut down without challenge.

It is a fact that many people in the US and elsewhere subscribe to conspiracy theories and I'm not sure that stifling their expression achieves anything other than to reinforce the view that a coalition of dark forces is against them.

Irritating or not a far more important task for a moderator these days is to delete posts which try to persuade others to believe blatant and dangerous false news. It should not be necessary for more responsible posters to repeatedly deny this nonsense in an attempt to protect others.

You mean opinions that don't match your own and Bromp's. There's a large difference between a difference of opinion and trolling/harrassment. A great pity you in particular can't see that, or why certain other individuals are deliberately stirring the pot rather than rationally discussing issues and at the very least respecting that other have alternative opinions.

They may, in my view, be riling you up just as much as they are trying (yet again) to bait myself, GB and others because they like doing that. Remember - don't feed the troll.

I made a great effort to put together a substantial set of reasoned arguments on my side earlier and without gunning for anyone - just because someone calls them 'consipracy theories', doesn't make them facts - that is just their opinion, from someone, in my view, who has form both here and elsewhere.

If you want that sort of censorship, I'd suggest you move to China. I would say let us know how you get on, but I doubt if you'd be allowed to under their social credit system, which sounds like what you want here.

I may disagree with much of your recent opinions on politics, but I respect that you have them and wouldn't want them censored if they are expressed without telling others what to think 'or else'.

PS. I see that Whitty and Vallance are now being hauled over the proverbial coals for presenting at best an incomplete/out of date picture of the situation to justify lockdown #2.

I was asking many questions (which don't appear to be factually refuted as yet) as to why the media and politicians aren't asking many searching questions to get behind all the headline 'data' and to check it's validity. It appears that finally some actually ARE, which is making many officials and other in positions of power very uncomfortable. I wonder why that is?

Asking questions and demanding proper answers should be everyone's right. Openess should also be the norm - not the opposite, which is what appears to be going on - helped by the current low quality of the mainstream media as well as the current crop of politicians - on all sides.

You mean opinions that don't match your own and Bromp's.

There's a difference between fact and opinion. As I said to Gordonbennet yesterday you can have your own opinions but not your own facts.

Reasoned arguments need to be supported by facts. If you base your arguments on opinion that cannot be substantiated by fact then you're probably on a hiding to nothing. Madf mentioned Occams Razor; if a n other opinion/theory requires a large number of assumptions about how we're being led up the garden path then for my part I'll use the razor to help decide what I believe.

Messrs Whitty and Valance were questioned by a committee of MPs who questioned some of their statistics, for example whether hospital admissions should be tempered by information on discharges. They've no vested interest in lockdown #2. There's no jackpot in share values or whatever for them in it's being imposed. They may turn out to have been wrong but that's science for you.

You can ask all sorts of questions. Is the Moon green cheese? or Is our government a slave to Davos? but the arguments are at best weak if you cannot/will not support them with sourced facts.

You mean opinions that don't match your own and Bromp's.

There's a difference between fact and opinion. As I said to Gordonbennet yesterday you can have your own opinions but not your own facts.

Reasoned arguments need to be supported by facts. If you base your arguments on opinion that cannot be substantiated by fact then you're probably on a hiding to nothing. Madf mentioned Occams Razor; if a n other opinion/theory requires a large number of assumptions about how we're being led up the garden path then for my part I'll use the razor to help decide what I believe.

Perhaps you need a shave then. As an engineer, I know all about theory, reason and facts. I would say that you working for politicians as a civil servant inLodnon before retirement make you far better at spin and working an agenda, but then that's just my opinion.

Messrs Whitty and Valance were questioned by a committee of MPs who questioned some of their statistics, for example whether hospital admissions should be tempered by information on discharges. They've no vested interest in lockdown #2. There's no jackpot in share values or whatever for them in it's being imposed. They may turn out to have been wrong but that's science for you.

I'm sure all that influence they have means nothing. And who knows what's going on behind the scenes. It's not as though you work in Whitehall any more and have a pipeline of information, is it.

You're just reading what a newspaper or TV News tell you, which at the moment isn't much. Rather than reading just from those sources, you'd for once care to read those which don't share your views.

Even I read articles from the likes of The Guardian and BBC. The difference is (and that includes ones like The Telegraph, Mail & Co) I decide for myself based on the content and tone what to believe - possibly going to multiple sources (and as independent as possible [the BBC isn't]) to verify or refute elements of them.

In addition, as someone who has worked in the construction industry for a long time - one renowned for BS, I have a finely-tuned antenna to detect it, and it's currently dinging away at the moment.

Again, just my opinion. But in this respect, it has served me well over the years.

You can ask all sorts of questions. Is the Moon green cheese? or Is our government a slave to Davos? but the arguments are at best weak if you cannot/will not support them with sourced facts.

So where's yours then? And BTW, slectively quoting certain news organisations' 'reports' and politicians that favour your opinion isn't.

PS. It appears that a leak has emerged that says that ICU admissions are at the normal level for the time of year. Care to comment? or is that another ''conspiracy theory'? It seems some real journalists and civil servants are doing the right thing for once.

Lockdown #2 - FP

Your post reveals a great deal about your thought-processes:

* "I know all about theory, reason and facts. I would say that you working for politicians as a civil servant inLodnon before retirement make you far better at spin and working an agenda, but then that's just my opinion."

That is personalising the argument and has no bearing on the discussion.

* "And who knows what's going on behind the scenes."

This implies that something untoward is going on behind the scenes, but is baseless supposition.

* "I decide for myself based on the content and tone what to believe..."

Content and tone are very vague indicators of truth.

* "... as someone who has worked in the construction industry for a long time - one renowned for BS, I have a finely-tuned antenna to detect it..."

With respect, this shows you are guided by gut-feeling, intuition or whatever and not the logical examination of fact. A "BS antenna" might suggest you should investigate further, but it cannot be the basis for a decision about fact.

* "It appears that a leak has emerged that says that ICU admissions are at the normal level for the time of year. Care to comment? or is that another 'conspiracy theory'?"

A leak, presumably without solid fact.

Lockdown #2 - Manatee

>>You're just reading what a newspaper or TV News tell you, which at the moment isn't much. Rather than reading just from those sources, you'd for once care to read those which don't share your views.

Not all sources are equal, plenty are rubbish and to give them anything near equal weight to the BBC, Sky News, or even the Daily Mail will not move the picture any nearer the truth.

"those which don't share your views"? I don't want views when I'm looking for news. I want facts. That's where it all goes wrong.

Perhaps the truth is that you don't like the BBC because it doesn't have a view, specifically it does not share yours? Or you prefer different 'facts'?

I agree - look at different sources. Proper ones.

>>It appears that a leak has emerged that says that ICU admissions are at the normal level for the time of year. Care to comment?

Any details? The daily COVID death total yesterday was 492, the highest since 19 May.

Lockdown #2 - madf

He doesn't want a constructive debate sadly - he never does. He says what he wants and then refuses to engage in any other discussion unless you say something that is agreeing with him

When a student I did some logic and discovered Occam's Razor.

"Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor) is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case the one that requires the smallest number of assumptions is usually correct. Another way of saying it is that the more assumptions you have to make, the more unlikely an explanation"

Conspiracy theories usually involve LOTS of assumptions..

Because they are conspiracies, there are lots of people involved, lots of reasons why they are involved.. and usually absolutely zero proof.

GB's post meets all the above criteria..

See also a Mr Icke. who in 1990 was "given a message from the spirits and over the next few years wrote a series of books about lizards ruling the world.

Fast forward thirty years - yes 30 years - and he now is involved in conspiracy theories.

about Covid-19

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-david-ickes-lunatic...3

PS No-one has yet seen any lizards and Mr Icke is quiet on that subject.

I say no more.

Edited by madf on 03/11/2020 at 10:30

Lockdown #2 - Avant

"Irritating or not a far more important task for a moderator these days is to delete posts which try to persuade others to believe blatant and dangerous false news."

No - that's going too far for a moderator. There's too fine a line between what is literally 'false news' and a strongly-expressed opinion with which one might disagree. Where would one draw that line?

I censor (a) spam, (b) posts that are personally offensive, and (c) potentially libellous naming and shaming.

Lockdown #2 - misar

In my view allowing forceful promulgation of blatantly misleading information on a well-respected forum such as this one is dangerous regardless of whether it is labelled as a "question", an "opinion" or a "fact".

Here are a few examples from this thread of both. If you are content to leave them for posterity to mull over that is your prerogative as moderator. Given the nature of this website I wonder if the owners are as relaxed about the possible effect on its reputation.

----------------------------------

Where's the actual proof of people actually dying OF COVID

the WHO, big pharma and others colluded to get governments to declare a pandemic and spend fortunes (though nothing compared to this time) on vaccines that weren't needed and didn't work anyway.

the agenda and power behind the curtain on COVID re: The Great Reset (Build Back Better), the UN's Agenda 21 and 30, The 4th Industrial Revolution etc from the World Economic Forum - an organisation run by unelected billionairres, officials etc who seemingly have more influence over world affairs than any government.

[a 'COVID death'] can by a GP's opinion (and apparently they are being pressured by PHE etc into putting it on death certificates even when other illness is equally suspected - i.e. in the elderly and already sick).

There have been documented cases in the media (though not well publicised) of people's deaths being attributable to COVID by dying of cancer, unrealted heart attacks, other diseases, physical injury/accidents, etc.

the [PCR} tests are not accurate and that they cannot properly differentiate between any type of Coronavirus - a group which also includes a variant of the common cold - something which a LOT of people will be suffering from at the present.

None of the testing reliability, nor the positive cases or death rates have been indpendently verified by a body/organisation who isn't part of government/civil service or has a vested interest to do so.

the possibilities of this pandemic being manufactured, as it seemed to be in 2010? There was evidence of collusion between the WHO and at least big pharma back then,

PHE, Whitty and SAGE STILL believe that mask-wearing is just a 'confidence measure'

measures being drawn up to forceably remove otherwise healthy people from their homes into interment facilities - permanently unless and until you agree to take the jab

a virus that kills 0.3% and mainly people already near to death anyway

Truly sinister people are using Covid as an ideal opportunity to bring in whatever future they want under the cosy sounding Great Reset

This isn't about preventing a Virus doing its thing, which has never worked anyway and never will unless you issue every living person with a full biohazmat suit, this about fear as a tool for control, and it works especially when almost the whole mainstream media, one or two souls excepted, is owned by those signed up, the state broadcaster itself one of the worst examples

over here, the media has a far bigger impact on the actions of politicians and civil servants than on the continent.

The MSM have been absolutely terrible throughout the pandemic in their sensationalist, often contradictory and agenda-driven 'reporting', paying little attention to factual reporting, public service information and especially proper investigative journalism.

It appears that a leak has emerged that says that ICU admissions are at the normal level for the time of year.

Lockdown #2 - Avant

Does anyone want to carry on with this thread or shall I close it?

I think it's worth leaving open but as (a) Engineer Andy has personalised the issue (by no means the first time he has done so) and (b) somebody else has refuted his claims for me I'm not adding any more unless something new comes in.

Lockdown #2 - sammy1

Might as well leave it open for L3. I would like to say that given the brains in this country the whole thing is a disaster. The so called second wave is wrongly named, it is still the first because the brakes were put on for months and then released. It implies that the virus as suddenly grown in strength which it hasn't The leaders of the 4 nations should have their heads banged together given the stupid way its citizens are treated. The different rules re the border between Wales and England being the most stupid and it is still going on although there are signs that the Drakeford is aligning a bit more to England. I personally hope this will prove the end of devolution.

More research needs to be done or the public advised to just how the covid is transmitted. Are the masks really doing any good for instance? Millions of holiday makers went to the west country in the months after lockdown but this area still has one of the lowest covid rates. Rules of 6 bubbles and all the rest need to be justified.

I think it's worth leaving open but as (a) Engineer Andy has personalised the issue (by no means the first time he has done so) and (b) somebody else has refuted his claims for me I'm not adding any more unless something new comes in.

I believe that you're describing you own actions and attributing them to those you politically disagree with, and not for the first time either, as is then going silent after making such an accusation and/or not answering questions with opinions dressed up as facts or ignoring difficult ones.

I have no problem with people having contrary opinions, but you need to understand that's what they are - opinions.

Lockdown #2 - misar

The original issue was relevant to this forum but the thread went astray very quickly. Its up to you but it would be better to remove it rather than just closing it. Given the unique situation with COVID I don't think you need worry about setting a precedent for future "debates" on less serious issues.

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Please leave it as it keeps everything in one place and I think the discussion will stay on the straight and narrow

Lockdown #2 - FP

I think Misar is overstating his point.

For a start, I see no "forceful promulgation of blatantly misleading information", merely statements of such. I can't think what "forceful" promulgation would be like (adopting a hectoring tone, perhaps?), but I don't see it here.

Secondly, giving a list of quotations ignores the fact that most of the points, if not all of them, have been challenged and refuted. That is far more satisfactory for anyone looking at this forum than simply discovering that something they had seen had subsequently disappeared.

Finally, I think one should not be carried away by the significance of this forum in the wider scheme of things. "Well-respected" it may be, but I imagine the number of people who read it is probably very small.

Lockdown #2 - madf

I read the Daily Telegraph comments columns on Covid.

This debate is informed, courteous and knowledgeable. and falsehoods are challenged..

If you really want to realise how many ignorant, innumerate, illiterate, mendacious, disingenuous people exist in the UK read the DT on line. And the conspiracies that are promulgated make those here appear fairy tales.

There are a lot of very sick people who appear to have lots of time on their hands and agendas..

Edited by madf on 04/11/2020 at 12:07

I read the Daily Telegraph comments columns on Covid.

This debate is informed, courteous and knowledgeable. and falsehoods are challenged..

If you really want to realise how many ignorant, innumerate, illiterate, mendacious, disingenuous people exist in the UK read the DT on line. And the conspiracies that are promulgated make those here appear fairy tales.

There are a lot of very sick people who appear to have lots of time on their hands and agendas..

All newspapers have a wide array of people commenting on articles - the Telegraph included, but you have to pick and choose what articles and who you discuss and debate issues.

As a now (recent) former Telegraph subscriber, I can say that there wre a LOT of seemingly professional trolls frequenting the comments sections - but ones who were likely paid activists supporting Opposition parties, Momentum and for a while, a good number working for the EU Commission/certain political groups (mainly around the time of the EU referendum) and the Chinese (a few) and especiialy the Russian government.

When the Telegraph reduced the access of non-paying 'readers' from (I think) 10-20 free articles a week to 1 (and not able to comment on articles at all) in around April this year, much of them left because they presumably didn't want to pay the subscription for every person/login they used. A few of these trolls still ply their trade.

Most of the time they were on the 'news ticker feeds' because the ongoing updated news items (normally important news/issues) lended themselves to discussion. Others popular with them were columnists' articles, especially those that were forcefully taking one side or the other.

What is seen now is a lot of angry readers criticising the paper for its leftward/woke/political establishment move over the last few years, both with the addition of certain columnists (some of which have worked for left wing papers etc before) or who nowadays don't really represent a conservative viewpoint.

I know a LOT of long-term readers like myself who have got disillusioned at the coverage (including of factual news reporting and of the pandemic). In my view, the paper more resembles the London Evening Standard aside the view point on the EU.

I think that the owners are trying to play all sides to gain more subscribers - the problem is that extra ones who've joined during the period after the 2019 GE and through the pandemic (who want something to read when they aren't working) are often month-by-month subscribers rather than annual ones like myself and many of those who've unsubbed in the last 6 months.

I agree that the quality of the debate in the comments sections has fallen (another reason why I left) as a result of long term subscribers leaving. I've seen what goes on elsewhere on other newspaper sites (aside from the Times - too expensive subs for my wallet) and frankly it's either just as bad (just from a different political standpoint), or in the case of the tabloids, a lot worse.

I think that the polarisation of politics (on all sides) combined with the problems I'm sure most of us have faced dealing with the pandemic professionally and personally have made as often quicker to temper and less able to engage more constructively in debate without the need to either deliberately inflame or push political agendas.

Many of us still have a lot of spare time with nothing really new or positive to talk about, especially when it is either difficult or illegal to meet many friends and relations to chew the fat - myself included. It means that we often come to a forum (like this one) already in a bad mood, which won't help.

Maybe we need to start some threads on less contentious issues - even mundane stuff - just so we can get used to reasonable discussion and give us all a break from the world's troubles. Some projects we're doing at home or work, gardening, useful tips and ideas on problems and issues.

It's not as though lockdown #2 is going to give us a huge amount to talk about on the pandemic or politics that hasn't already been said (and elsewhere).

Just some thoughts before my lunch.

Lockdown #2 - madf

I should add that I often read The Guardian comments as well. Apart from the obvious political differences, there appear to be far fewer conspiracy theorists on the Guardian's site - well that is except for the "big business is screwing everyone and Bill Gates is taking over the world... but my Apple phone is essential " type of stuff..

I would remind Andy it was the DT which employed Boris as journalist (on £250k a year) and which supported him in his race for the Leadership of the Conservative Party .. so to accuse them of being left wing is patently ridiculous.

Historically in the UK right wing politicians oppose social liberalisation when it is introduced and support it twenty years later...(See Votes for women, decriminalisation of homosexuality, Women's Rights, Anti Apartheid etc largely opposed by the Conservatives when initially voted on)

Edited by madf on 04/11/2020 at 14:15

I should add that I often read The Guardian comments as well. Apart from the obvious political differences, there appear to be far fewer conspiracy theorists on the Guardian's site - well that is except for the "big business is screwing everyone and Bill Gates is taking over the world... but my Apple phone is essential " type of stuff..

I would remind Andy it was the DT which employed Boris as journalist (on £250k a year) and which supported him in his race for the Leadership of the Conservative Party .. so to accuse them of being left wing is patently ridiculous.

I wasn't saying the paper is entirely left wing, but that elements of it and some journalists they employ are now definitely left of centre and more. They have Cathy Newman as a columnist and have other left wing writers regularly write articles (almost always without reader commentary facilities) that could eaily be from the Guardian.

It was why I said they are more like the Evening Standard - trying to be everything to everyone and failing, just annoying each group.

For someone who purports to regularly read the Telegaph, you apparently are missing many articles. Non-paying 'guests' could never read more than a few articles a week, and now only one. The trolls tended to stay on certain pages whilst they could to get the most 'value' from their efforts. Now there are far less of them, by several magnitudes.

I'm not sure what the PM's former salary at the paper has to do with it's tone and content today.

Historically in the UK right wing politicians oppose social liberalisation when it is introduced and support it twenty years later...(See Votes for women, decriminalisation of homosexuality, Women's Rights, Anti Apartheid etc largely opposed by the Conservatives when initially voted on)

It doesn't sound like you are 'conservative' (so why would you pay a subscription to read the Telegraph), but bringing up such issues and then essentially tarring everyone who is as some kind of bigot, ist and phobe is rather sad.

I would point out the Left's current troubles with anti-seminitism and its own chauvanistic attitues of many politicans (mainly white middle class men and some women too) towards women and ethnic minority conservative politicnas and voters. Or their support over the years for totalitarian communist regimes abroad.

I'd be careful to start throwing proverbial stones in glass houses, given the proverb connotations. People on all sides of the political divide have said and done things that today's generation finds objectionable, but we will likely find the same happening to us in a few decades.

That's why all this 'cancel culture' around our historical figures and buildings/monuments is at best ill-advised, and at worst Orwellian revisionism a-la 1930s Germany and the Soviet Union. I somehow doubt if people in 50 years will look back fondly on these times, and not as some may think due to just one side of the political aisle.

Lockdown #2 - sammy1

That's why all this 'cancel culture' around our historical figures and buildings/monuments is at best ill-advised, and at worst Orwellian revisionism a-la 1930s Germany and the Soviet Union. I somehow doubt if people in 50 years will look back fondly on these times, and not as some may think due to just one side of the political aisle.

I am not political at all but I cannot understand why the elected government has not strongly condemned the deliberate vandalism and denial of our history good and bad. I for one haven't clue who is driving this ie named individuals?? but it does seem widespread and coordinated .

As for government over the years they seem to get less and less done that benefits the ordinary folk that elect them.

Lockdown #2 - madf

As for government over the years they seem to get less and less done that benefits the ordinary folk that elect them.

We have a seriously unbalanced economy. Financial services and the SE are the only economically viable parts and largely pay for the rest of the country (A sweeping generalisation and not entirely true but close enough)

The goose that lays golden eggs must be fed.

And the Government - and BOTH major political parties are dominated by MPS from the SE.

See Johnson and Starmer and Corbyn.

Groupthink and lawyers' lack of vision.

Edited by madf on 05/11/2020 at 10:33

Lockdown #2 - Middleman

It appears that a leak has emerged that says that ICU admissions are at the normal level for the time of year.

That’s probably this article:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/03/hospital-inten.../

It’s behind DT’s paywall but if you hit “escape” as the text is loading you should be able to see it. In case you can’t, here’s an extract:

“An update from the NHS Secondary Uses Services (SUS), seen by The Telegraph, shows that capacity is tracking as normal in October with the usual numbers of beds available that would be expected at this time of year, even without extra surge capacity. An NHS source said: "As you can see, our current position in October is exactly where we have been over the last five years."

“Although there has been a reduction in surge capacity since the first wave, with the closure of the emergency Nightingale Hospitals, there is still 15 per cent spare capacity across the country – fairly normal for this time of year.”

“In critical care, around 18 per cent of beds are still unoccupied, although it varies between regions. However, even in the worst affected areas, such as North-West, only 92.9 per cent of critical care beds are currently occupied.”

“Commenting on the new data, Professor Carl Heneghan, director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at the University of Oxford, said: "This is completely in line with what is normally available at this time of year. What I don't understand is that I seem to be looking at a different dataset to what the Government is presenting. Everything is looking at normal levels and free bed capacity is still significant, even in high dependency units and intensive care, even though we have a very small number across the board. We are starting to see a drop in people in hospitals.”

Edited by Middleman on 05/11/2020 at 10:37

Lockdown #2 - daveyjp

This lockdown is nothing of the sorts as most places are still open, but it is a rinse and repeat of the failures from March.

There is still no clear messaging or a sound strategy put in place that people can understand and back. Putting in deadlines for measures is also madness, the deadline should be when the results show the strategy is working. It focuses the minds of Government to get things right.

Set out the current situation

Set out the consequences of doing nothing.

Set out what the proposals are

Set out details of what this will achieve

Set out what data will be used to measure success

Set out the support measures for those affected by the proposals

Set out the exit strategy

The app and test, track and trace systems are failing because people don't want to be told to isolate for two weeks (especially self employed) as the support measures just aren't there.

People are being told to isolate, but rather than do so are going and getting a test, getting a negative, assuming they are clear and carrying on as normal. The virus incubates, ten days later they are on their back with Covid having infected other people and so the cycle continues.

The problem is that anyone can get a test, whether a home kit or a drive-in one, and then get the virus within minutes of that test being conducted or before teh results are amde known - never minds afterwards, because as we all know, it can be transmitted by touching surfaces as well as by cough or sneeze.

For all the so-called 'scientific or medical experts' who regularly weigh in on TV, in newspaper interviews/letters or on social media (the worst), few have much in the way of practical proposals that don't result in bankrupting the nation.

I have seen little change in their thinking (hence why we're once again in lockdown) from March - probably because most of them advocating on the lockdown side do not rely on the economy going (for the moment at least) normally because they work outside of the private sector.

The few alternative (and seemingly credible) voices such as Professor Carl Heneghan regularly have their views suppressed by much of the MSM, especially TV news, who appear to have already made the minds up (without any of them being experts) about what their readers or viewers should believe is true and what isn't.

Given the novel nature of the disease and STILL the lack of a complete picture, I'd love to know these people in such positions of influence over public opinion can be so certain about what is fact and what is either merely opinion, educated guesses, and partial or full facts.

That was why I was strongly advocating for FAR greater transparency in the who process, including validation of the science behind it all.

There are, in my view, way too many powerful vested interests involved to ensure internal self-certification or via government bodies with their own self-interest (whether continued existence, enlargement of power/responsibilies and/or budgets). Questions are either not being answered or fully and transparently.

All this does is it creates increasing resentment across the nation and, as we've seen here, increases polarisation on all sides. All that does is further play into the hands of the tech/social media/pharma and other coprorates and especially hostile foreign governments like China's.

Resolving these issues requires honest and open debate, and not just one side trying to shut down the other or to withold information because doing so helps their personal, financial or political agenda(s).

That's why I'm saying that the media generally, especially the legacy print and TV news media has done an absolutely and increasingly terrible job over the last decade, but especially in the last year or two.

There are a few very small outlets that are doing a great job, but the MSM industry and their chums in big finance is effectively stopping them from expanding sufficiently to properly break into the market - most of these new entrants are niche market (type of news/issues reported on) outlets and in only one country or even region.

Many have to work incredibly hard to survive (especially given the headwind), relying on subscribers at a low payment level compared to those demanded by the MSM sites, who still get a decent amount of revenue from ads - from their corporate buddies who want their agenda pushed. The truly independents don't pander to that and thus don't get such revenues.

The rest of them who entered the market between 3 and 15 years ago are essentially 'activist media' who are the least impartial and have relied mainly on outside funding to survive rather than through subscriptions, or what one YouTuber calls the 'access media' who just pander to whatever cause or thing is in fashion with the elites (e.g. wokeness) at the time. Neither of these report factually on news.

Both now are in serious decline because funding and revenue has dried up and audiences have got fed up with a bunch of shills.

The few alternative (and seemingly credible) voices such as Professor Carl Heneghan regularly have their views suppressed by much of the MSM,

I'm just going to pick up one thing here.

Prof Heneghan is regularly quoted in the 'MSM'. He was on the Today programme on Monday and his work is regularly in the Guardian preyed in aid of those opposing lockdown:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/06/brit...n

Skip the first segment which is about terrorism.

That’s probably this article:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/03/hospital-inten.../

It’s behind DT’s paywall but if you hit “escape” as the text is loading you should be able to see it. In case you can’t, here’s an extract:

“An update from the NHS Secondary Uses Services (SUS), seen by The Telegraph, shows that capacity is tracking as normal in October with the usual numbers of beds available that would be expected at this time of year, even without extra surge capacity. An NHS source said: "As you can see, our current position in October is exactly where we have been over the last five years."

“Although there has been a reduction in surge capacity since the first wave, with the closure of the emergency Nightingale Hospitals, there is still 15 per cent spare capacity across the country – fairly normal for this time of year.”

“In critical care, around 18 per cent of beds are still unoccupied, although it varies between regions. However, even in the worst affected areas, such as North-West, only 92.9 per cent of critical care beds are currently occupied.”

“Commenting on the new data, Professor Carl Heneghan, director of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at the University of Oxford, said: "This is completely in line with what is normally available at this time of year. What I don't understand is that I seem to be looking at a different dataset to what the Government is presenting. Everything is looking at normal levels and free bed capacity is still significant, even in high dependency units and intensive care, even though we have a very small number across the board. We are starting to see a drop in people in hospitals.”

The ESC buttoin route doesn't work for me - I already tried it and you can see the full page for about 1/3rd of a second. I think that the reason is that if you clear all the cookies you had as a subscriber which stops the page regenerating from a full article to a paragraph only plus the subscriber message, the site automatically defaults to 'non-subscriber' mode, whatever you do.

Thanks BTW for the quotes on the credible alternative views.

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

I am not political at all but I cannot understand why the elected government has not strongly condemned the deliberate vandalism and denial of our history good and bad. I for one haven't clue who is driving this ie named individuals?? but it does seem widespread and coordinated .

They have condemmed it - not sure why you think they haven't? Also not sure it is widespread - there have been a few isolated instances but nothing i would say is widespread or even co-ordinated.

They have condemmed it - not sure why you think they haven't? Also not sure it is widespread - there have been a few isolated instances but nothing i would say is widespread or even co-ordinated.

It's rather more than a few 'isolated incidents', plus a large number of councils are now 'reviewing all the buildings names and monuments existence, presumably to see which the need to 'cancel' in case BLM or Antifa threatens violence etc.

It may be on a much larger scale in the US, but it still in co-ordinated. The people behind it also like their 'useful idiots' to carry out their dirty work, so they can deny being involved.

It's just that over here there has been more of a backlash to it outside of the university towns and cities that it hasn't been as bad as in the US, where pandering to such 'causes' still goes on.

It's rather more than a few 'isolated incidents', plus a large number of councils are now 'reviewing all the buildings names and monuments existence, presumably to see which the need to 'cancel' in case BLM or Antifa threatens violence etc.

It may be on a much larger scale in the US, but it still in co-ordinated. The people behind it also like their 'useful idiots' to carry out their dirty work, so they can deny being involved.

It's just that over here there has been more of a backlash to it outside of the university towns and cities that it hasn't been as bad as in the US, where pandering to such 'causes' still goes on.

BLM, at least in the UK, is more of a slogan/movement than some sort of organised 'party' with a defined set of policies. Some hangers on on the far left have tried to hi-jack the name but a lot of the stuff that's thrown at (say) Lewis Hamilton about BLM 'policy' is nonsense.

As for Antifa it doesn't have much existence outside the mind of President Trump and in the USA. It's no sort of movement or threat there never mind in the UK.

Do you believe that British History, in the form related to those of us at school in the sixties through to the eighties, is an accurate account? Does it cover ALL the people who had a part in it? Does it give a fair and accurate account of the contribution of minorities?

Because that's what the fuss is about.

In my schooldays Churchill was portrayed solely as the hero who led us through WW2, which he was. But there's a whole lot more about him, his attitude to minorities and Indian Independence, that was never touched on.

Is it right that that situation should continue?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/11/2020 at 16:11

Wow. Just wow.

Unbelievable the lengths you IMHO appear to go to peddle your agenda and 'debunk' others. I also see that you're making a similar 'splash' over on c a r 4 p l a y as well with this sort of commentary, and making just as many 'friends' in the process.

I notice not one of your arguments has any information to back them up. Why bring up Trump and Churchill? No-one was talking about them before and has nowt to do with the issues raised.

I've tried to be conciliatory by showing that both sides of the political divide have faults, but you appear to be entrenched by pretending yours are saints and everyone else's are some kind of monsters.

Please have a sense of proportion in all this - this forum isn't Political Betting of other hardcore ones you may also have frequented over the years - it's a motoring forum where we mainly discuss motoring-related issues and occaionally other stuff. That's why I'm here - can you honestly say the same?

Edited by Engineer Andy on 05/11/2020 at 18:25

Lockdown #2 - sammy1

So Rishi is extending the furlough until the end of March and is rightly criticised for not making the decision earlier which would have kept more people on the payroll.

But does this extension also mean that a vaccine is further away than ever?

Lockdown #2 - madf

So Rishi is extending the furlough until the end of March and is rightly criticised for not making the decision earlier which would have kept more people on the payroll.

But does this extension also mean that a vaccine is further away than ever?

It means the lockdown will be removed for Christmas and reimposed in January.

The 30 million does promised for Christmas is at most 5 million.

But as no vaccines has yet been approved, it might be available for April 2021

Wow. Just wow.

I think I'll just let that and the plea to stay off politics to stand for itself.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/11/2020 at 20:26

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Wow. Just wow.

I think I'll just let that and the plea to stay off politics to stand for itself.

I read your reply to Andy and then read wat he wrote - I thought Wow. Just Wow from his reply - seems to make n sense from what you posted at all.

Lockdown #2 - FP

"I read your reply to Andy and then read wat he wrote - I thought Wow. Just Wow from his reply - seems to make n sense from what you posted at all."

Same here.

On the other hand, it is quite revealing. Let's leave it at that.

Edited by FP on 05/11/2020 at 23:19

"I read your reply to Andy and then read wat he wrote - I thought Wow. Just Wow from his reply - seems to make n sense from what you posted at all."

Same here.

On the other hand, it is quite revealing. Let's leave it at that.

I think it's revealing that Bromp got banned from the Political Betting website - something he didn't deny (but didn't say why he was) when a previous argument arose here a few years ago. His comments are still available there to review.

Doesn't it strike anyone odd that he frequents websites that aren't about politics (including C4P), but posts a significant amount on politics and gets into arguments with other users, after being forced to leave one that was only about that subject?

It reminds me of a well known left wing troll who continues to post on the Telegraph website - but only on the Letters Page, called 'Am Faochagach', who IMHO seems to revel doing so in a very similar manner, but also goes silent/changes the subject when proven incorrect or worse.

I reluctantly become in volved in debates of a political nature because I feel I have to respond to certain individuals who are, in my view, deliberately spreading falsehoods and starting/inflaming arguments. That others all feel compelled to respond as well also says quite a bit as well. I rarely got into political debates here for many years because I was here for the motoring discussion, and left political discussion on The Telegraph for the vast majority of the time.

I would, even with all this, point out the methodology used by certain organisations and people, both in the past and even today to subvert general discourse. Just review the thoughts of Yuri Bezmenov on how that game is played.

Lockdown #2 - FP

Your first two paragraphs are a simple ad hominem attack and do little to strengthen your position - quite the opposite. What has anyone's treatment on other websites got to do with anything?

Your personal account of why you post political stuff here is just that - personal. Reluctant or not, you get into political discussions and should expect to be challenged.

In your final paragraph presumably you want us to think that Bezemov's thoughts on the distortion of truth and facts in Soviet Russia are relevant to the present discussion. They prove nothing, but show how you view opinions that you identify as being left-wing.

As always, my interest is not personal - I have no thoughts about you as an individual, nor about Bromp, who seems well able to speak for himself. But I am concerned about the way you approach political discussion, with a mixture of personal and prejudiced comments.

I'll P,K,B that post, if you don't mind.

I think it's revealing that Bromp got banned from the Political Betting website - something he didn't deny (but didn't say why he was) when a previous argument arose here a few years ago. His comments are still available there to review.

Except they're not mine. I don't think I've ever even looked at Political Betting until today. Somebody else with the same username. I'm still trying to work out why they were banned.

Doesn't it strike anyone odd that he frequents websites that aren't about politics (including C4P), but posts a significant amount on politics and gets into arguments with other users, after being forced to leave one that was only about that subject?

I enjoy discussions about politics and current affairs; the border between discussion and argument is a fine one. C4P has long been a virtual pub for general discussion. There are two or three characters in there who could start a fight in an empty room. Argument goes with the territory.

The only other site where I regularly contribute on News/Current Affairs is Cyclechat.

So far as this site is concerned I'm a frequent contributor to Motoring threads and regularly add my two pennyworth in Legal.

As to the rest of it I'm frankly at the stage of Meh or maybe Whatever.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 06/11/2020 at 13:01

Lockdown #2 - madf

I used to post on Political betting a decade ago. (Interested in the politics as I do not bet.)

I cannot imagine anyone being banned from PB unless it was continued personal harassment of others, continued ant semitism or other racism or personal abuse hurled at others.

Much as I disagree with Bromptonaut on things political, I cannot imagine he would do any of the above. In fact it is unthinkable. I have been here some 20 years and Bromps was there roughly when I started. He has never written anything worthy of banning here either

Edited by madf on 06/11/2020 at 13:30

I used to post on Political betting a decade ago. (Interested in the politics as I do not bet.)

I cannot imagine anyone being banned from PB unless it was continued personal harassment of others, continued ant semitism or other racism or personal abuse hurled at others.

Much as I disagree with Bromptonaut on things political, I cannot imagine he would do any of the above. In fact it is unthinkable. I have been here some 20 years and Bromps was there roughly when I started. He has never written anything worthy of banning here either

Just visit the website and do a search - it says it against his name. When I brought the issue up before during a previous 'heated discussion', he didn't deny it had happened. You might want to check his posts there to decide for yourself the reason(s) why. It seemed quite obvious to me.

Just visit the website and do a search - it says it against his name. When I brought the issue up before during a previous 'heated discussion', he didn't deny it had happened. You might want to check his posts there to decide for yourself the reason(s) why. It seemed quite obvious to me.

As I've already pointed out those posts are by somebody else using the same username.

The username Bromptonaut doesn't require a huge leap in imagination. I've had the odd comment on cycling forums to the effect that they wished they'd thought of it first.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/11/2020 at 12:23

As I've already pointed out those posts are by somebody else using the same username.

The username Bromptonaut doesn't require a huge leap in imagination. I've had the odd comment on cycling forums to the effect that they wished they'd thought of it first.

TBH I don't recall you denying it before - fair enough if you have. Still, quite an amazing coincidence given the similarity of political views.

TBH I don't recall you denying it before - fair enough if you have. Still, quite an amazing coincidence given the similarity of political views.

Andy,

I think I remember a previous occasion where you alluded to me being banned from another forum but didn't refer to the specific site. Now you've done so I've categorically denied that I was responsible for the posts on Political Betting using the same forum name I've used here and elsewhere.

While the person concerned is in the same broad political spectrum as I am their writing style is very different. I only wish I could fashion smart one liners like that.

I'm not demanding a formal apology but an unequivocal acknowledgment that what I've said is true would be appreciated.

Andy,

I think I remember a previous occasion where you alluded to me being banned from another forum but didn't refer to the specific site. Now you've done so I've categorically denied that I was responsible for the posts on Political Betting using the same forum name I've used here and elsewhere.

While the person concerned is in the same broad political spectrum as I am their writing style is very different. I only wish I could fashion smart one liners like that.

I'm not demanding a formal apology but an unequivocal acknowledgment that what I've said is true would be appreciated.

OK then - I accept they are (I also said as much on another thread) after reviewing some more posts on that forum from your namesake - whilst their political views were remarkably similar to yours, I noticed some responses that weren't. Perhaps I got too caught up in the heated debate. My apologies.

I still strongly maintain you're incorrect on a good number of the main issues of the thread though. And I believe that some on the other sides of the debate (and more generally) have often been very quick to pass judgement on people like myself (and other long time members) who differ politically with accusations of being ists and phobes. Those (incorrect) accusations hurt me just as much as mine probably did you.

As I said earlier, perhaps we all need to take a breath and be more considerate of others we disagree with. That's not to say no any political debate, but I'd suggest we tone things down a bit, given this forum is a motoring one first and formost, especially as heavy-grade political debate appears to put off other website members from ineterracting here generally.

I sometimes look on the political debates on TV shown from many decades ago between people on opposite sides as much as we often are, but seem to go far more smoothly. Perhaps text-based internet / (un)social media debates isn't the best way of discussing a subject. The internet forums work generally seems to encourage antagonism.

I've noticed this with the newspaper comments areas under articles as well - they are mainly either people all with the same beliefs just blindly agreeing with eachother, or people going up against eachother like a boxing match. It used to be far more civilised where differences could be just discussed, rather than people trying to one-up eahcother with their next response.

I think that's what was happening here, helped by many of us having little to do or new/positive things to discuss because of current events in the world.

Hopefully this can draw a line under this matter.

OK then - I accept they are (I also said as much on another thread) after reviewing some more posts on that forum from your namesake - whilst their political views were remarkably similar to yours, I noticed some responses that weren't. Perhaps I got too caught up in the heated debate. My apologies.

I'm grateful for that acknowledgement, thank you. I've caused the odd mod intervention or application of threadlock (to pick a metaphor) on Cyclechat and was beginning to wonder if I'd caused greater upset somewhere and forgotten. I always try to be polite but recognise that I may not succeed, or offend by tactlessness. In the latter context I apologise to madf for comments made elsewhere.

As to the rest we're clearly in different camps. I'm not going to convince you of the merits of even the Croslandite version of Socialism. Neither am I going to swallow views that put the Telegraph on the left, decry the independence of the BBC or promote the 45th President of the USA as anything other than a lying narcissist. I don't want to label thoughts (and perhaps the people who express them) as ists or phobes but my roots are in the West Riding and I speak as I find :-P (see above re tact)

In a debate no proposer, seconder or speaker is hoping to change the view of their opponents; the aim is to carry the floor. To that end going for the man is a waste of time, it's the ball that you score with. We all need to remember that.

Let's all try harder in future.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 10/11/2020 at 20:40

Lockdown #2 - FP

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to comment or not.

I'm fairly sure I have ruffled feathers here in debates of a political nature, but to be honest I think sometimes people feel uncomfortable simply when an idea they hold dear is challenged, and take it personally. I admit I have been forthright in dealing with some matters. However, I apologise if I have offended anyone - it wasn't intentional and it wasn't personal.

It seems to me that discussion of controversial subjects should concentrate on ideas, opinions, evidence and rational/logical thought. Not only is it that "going for the man" (i.e. making statements - actual or implied - about someone as a person) is a waste of time - it is totally improper and inappropriate when attempting to establish the rights and wrongs of an opinion.

In case anyone wishes to know, my own political views are fairly centrist; I am naturally suspicious of extremes of any kind. I have voted for various parties over the years, though I've never been able to bring myself to vote Labour.

Edited by FP on 10/11/2020 at 21:57

It seems to me that discussion of controversial subjects should concentrate on ideas, opinions, evidence and rational/logical thought. Not only is it that "going for the man" (i.e. making statements - actual or implied - about someone as a person) is a waste of time - it is totally improper and inappropriate when attempting to establish the rights and wrongs of an opinion.

That exactly.

I do though have an ironic giggle over a centrist who cannot bring themselves to vote Labour, presumably even in the Blair era......

Lockdown #2 - FP

I seem to recall I was flirting with the Libdems at that point, but more importantly Blair put me off right from the beginning. I think it was the rictus smile and the love-ins with celebrities. Or maybe that was after he was elected. Of course, the Iraq business finished off any lingering respect I might have had.

Lockdown #2 - nick62

I do though have an ironic giggle over a centrist who cannot bring themselves to vote Labour, presumably even in the Blair era......

It always amazes me how the Tories continually manage to persuade anyone earning south of £50,000 PA to vote for them?

His post was two before yours. Are you so blinkered? Just saying "fair enough" implies you are still not convinced though and wish to maintain your opinion.

Lockdown #2 - alan1302

Instead of digging yourself a hole and looking foolish it would be easier to apologise and move on as it was someone different.