01 1.3 Strut Mount Change - IKM
Can someone please advise the easiest way to change the front strut top mounts on the Ka.
I think it may be possible to do it as follows:- raise front of car and support on axle stands, remove front wheels, remove strut top nut and top plate from inside bonnet, from inside wheel arch lever down strut then remove rubber top mount and replace. Finally raise strut, fit top plate and nut and lower car.
Also any advice on releasing the very tight top nuts would be appreciated.
Thanks

01 1.3 Strut Mount Change - Wurzel83
Never done it myself but you may want to have a look under the wheel arch and see whether you will need to detach the Drop Link, Brake Pipe and Wishbone Ball-joint.

Out of interest why do these need changing?
Thanks for your reply.

Our local garage changed brake discs and pads and the lower suspension arms to fix a brake vibration problem and to pass the MOT. This has reduced but not completely eliminated the vibration when braking. The strut top mounts are obviously worn because there is an approx 15mm gap under the top plates. Although the top mounts were passed ok at the last MOT I'm hoping that changing them will finally cure the vibration.
Never heard of strut mounts being a problem on a KA.

www.dieselpowersite.com/showthread.php?t=17

Where can the vibration be felt? Ie steering wheel, pedal, seat?
Good information, explains a lot, thanks.
The vibration is not particularly bad and doesn't feel specific to the steering wheel or brake pedal. After reading the article you posted I think the vibration is due to normal manufacturing variations and wear in the brake components. I also think that the worn strut mounts are making it more noticeable. The mounts are relatively cheap so I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. If there is no difference I'll live with the vibration.
01 1.3 Strut Mount Change - bell boy
its really easy to change these with the strut off and near impossible with the strut attached
your only problem is the bolt that holds it on the hub can shear so clean the thread and oil it before you undo it
it will make a difference to driveability,not sure if it will cure your problem though
your only problem is the bolt that holds it on the hub can shear so
clean the thread and oil it before you undo it
it will make a difference to driveability not sure if it will cure your problem
though

>>

I agree. I would spray it with some WD40 a couple of days before you attempt the job.
01 1.3 Strut Mount Change - DukeNukem

that 15mm gap seems to be normal

01 1.3 Strut Mount Change - Xileno

I expect after 14 years, the little KA has gone on to have another life!