J D Power 2002 - Paul Robinson
I never know how much notice to take of this survey. For example a car highly regarded by backroomers, the Ford Mondeo, comes 115th out of 144!

How do you explain that?
Re: J D Power 2002 - Trevor Potter
It's all relative - who do you want to take more notice of?

1) the manufacturer's advertisers?

2) J D Power (thousands of owners)

3) 1 or 2 particular owners?

(for example, my neighbour has had 2 Vauxhall Vectras, and is thinking of buying another. He is totally NOT interested in what
J D Power survey says - as far as he is conserned, the Vectra is a GOOD car)
Re: J D Power 2002 - Steve
It may be a bit harsh but I can't help wondering if there is a relationship between the type of cars that feature well in surveys and the use they get, together with the time the owner has on their hands.

Anyone that's fully satisfied with their car who has a full work schedule may not bother to tell anyone. If they have a lot of time they may be more inclined to. Just a thought, but cars regularly bought by the retired always seem to do well - whereas fleet cars often do badly and I reckon it's probably because these guys only reach for the questionnaire when they've had grief.
True - but I have another factor:-

THe Auto Express survey last week purports to be
"the most important survey of it's kind - because the findings have been supplied by you"

YOU being Auto Express readers - hands up all NON Auto express readers who even KNEW about thier survey.

They say "these figures simply cannot be argued with".

Hmmm. They substituted for the J D Power question of "ownwership costs" one on "speed cameras".

What on earth has "speed cameras" got to do with car reliability and satisfaction survey?
Re: J D Power 2002 - What Car - JohnL
Apparently the next issue of What Car ( out next week ) will feature this survey.
Re: J D Power 2002 - What Car - Paul Robinson
A summary of the results are published in todays Autocar
Re: J D Power 2002 - What Car - Trevor Potter
and it's on www.whatcar.com/
Re: J D Power 2002 - What Car - on the road
I bought the June edition of "What Car" this morning (2nd May).
Re: J D Power 2002 - Honestjohn
Whatever, the top and bottom 20 of both the Auto Express and Whhat Car JD Power surveys are now incorporated into the car by car breakdown. The reason why repmobiles do badly in these surveys is because reps fill them in. If they owned the car and had any interest in it at all, they would vote more like Yaris and Corolla owners, but that still wouldn't Vectras and Mondeos off the hook for failures. I'm still waiting for my Mondeo to suffer a single failure. In 3 years and 4 months it's been by far the most reliable car with the lowest need for consumables like brake pads and discs that I've ever run.

HJ
Re: J D Power 2002 - Alwyn
HJ,

That will cheer my wife up!
Re: J D Power 2002 - Big Vern
I like the JD power survey as it measures the car against customer expectations, protons and the like seem to do well as those who buy a proton or similar have low expectations and are easily pleased IMHO !!!
like my Vectra and it does everything I want it to do, I am intelligent enough to relaise that the majority of Vectras are sold to fleets and are diven by people who may not have a lot of choice in what they get, therefore their expectations may differ from mine.
Also the lower the Vectra scores in surveys the lower the price for a second Vectra, therefore more cash in my wallet therfore more chance of buying a jetski or Tiger / Other Lotus 7 style car to get my kicks from well away from Plod.

In short JD Power is for the people who spend their own money and can think for themselves.

I have never liked Fords, HJ has never liked Vectras I think I can live with that.

regards
Vern and the rest of the Privet drive residents
Re: J D Power 2002 - Big Vern
Honestjohn wrote:
>
> Not THE Vern Dursley?
>
> HJ

One and the same :o)

Thought I'd get the jibe in before someone else!!

Big Vern

P.S. Check out the photo on Lee's gallery, it amazing what you can find on the web
Re: J D Power 2002 - Dave
Paul Robinson wrote:
>
> I never know how much notice to take of this survey. For
> example a car highly regarded by backroomers, the Ford
> Mondeo, comes 115th out of 144!
>
> How do you explain that?

Easy, Ford sell more Mondeo's/Focus's than Toyota sell Corolla's/Yaris. If you're gonna sell more, then expect more complaints!!
Re: J D Power 2002 - james S
Are you sure your comparing like with like. The JD power survey is for 2000 + models. I.e Mondeo II. Good experiences with mondeos in backroom may be with say 96-99 old shape mondeos(I) which have been produced for a while and so most problems will have been ironed out.

Might explain things?
New cars are increasingly being rushed to production and any problems being sorted out later.
A la BMC Allegro?
Re: J D Power 2002 - Alwyn
Parker's used car guide says " Mondeo is a fine car to own and drive"

Ours if fine: ( except for front tyre wear)
Not THE Vern Dursley?

HJ
Re: J D Power 2002 - Steve
I'd never trust a survey unless Land Rover vehicles occupied at least two of the bottom three!
Re: J D Power 2002 - Bill Doodson
Paul,

I don?t put much faith in the JD survey at all, some of the sample sizes of some of the cars must be so small as to be statistically invalid!

If I had my way the Mondeo would be 144th, mine has been totally S***E . Today I found that one of the Lamda sensors has gone £70+ for the sensor and then fitting. A real pig to do on these sir. I get it done on Friday.

Bill
NB Bill has a 24v and a crap one of these can be a real nightmare.

HJ
Re: J D Power 2002 - Dog Breath
HJ - what mondeo model would you go for now if buying new now?
I'd go for a 2.0 litre petrol, now with 145bhp. You'll get a much better deal on it than on a TDCI. Could be as much as £5,000 difference because demand for the TDCI is so high from company drivers.

HJ