Scenic road tax - barney100

Trying to get a road tax price for a Scenic 2015 1500 (ish) cc, should be easy to find but ain't!

Scenic road tax - Adampr

Stick the reg in here and scroll down to running costs.

www.carcheckfree.co.uk/check-car-tax#

Scenic road tax - barney100

Just found it thanks, £30 a year.....why does my Volvo V70 cost 10 times as much?

Scenic road tax - Xileno

I think I paid £20 a year on my 1.5 Megane. They're from an era where the concern was CO2 and diesels are better for that but worse for Nox.

Scenic road tax - Engineer Andy

I think I paid £20 a year on my 1.5 Megane. They're from an era where the concern was CO2 and diesels are better for that but worse for Nox.

Where two cars in such disparate VED groups can emit the same CO2 per year if one is used a lot and the other doesn't. My 1.6 petrol Mazda is 9x the VED of a car that emits per mile 2/3rds the CO2, despite the latter car was likely either a lot smaller / lighter and/or made many years after mine, and thus benefitting from improvements in design.

The VED bands and rates for cars between 2001 and 2017 were ridiculous, given they covered 16 years of technological changes but have enormous differences in the VED rates, especially when few cars in those early years apart from very small, low powered ones actually qualified for the first three groupings.

By the mid 2010s, almost all non-performance family sized cars did qualify for groups C or below, which is why HMG changed to the new ratings to get more £££, but daftly kept the old disparities that unfairly penalised owners of 'normal' cars bought in the first decade of the period.

Scenic road tax - skidpan

We had a few cars from 2008 onwards that were low VED

2008 BMW 118D £30 a year Real economy 48 mpg

2010 Kia Ceed CRDi 115 PS £30 a year Real economy 51 mpg

2013 Seat Leon 1.4 TSI 140 PS £30 a year Real economy 46 mpg

2015 Nissan Note 1.2 DIG-S £0 a year Real economy 44 mpg

2017 Superb 1.4 TSI 150 PS £20 a year Real economy 46 mpg

After that our luck ran out. The Fabia 1.0 TSi 110 PS would have qualified for £0 under the previous system but our 2018 example was the normal rate (£170?) despite beating most of the above with a real economy of 48 mpg.

Even the Superb PHEV which produces zero CO when used as an EV and even when used an ICE car is better than the normal TSI we had costs us the normal rate less a £10 discount.

Same for the new Yaris.

The low rates of these cars certainly encouraged us to buy them instead of other cars we looked at that would have cost us over £100 extra a year.

Scenic road tax - alan1302

Thought this thread was going to be a about a new toll road through the Yorkshire Dales ;-)