Ford Focus - Ford Focus Turbocharger overboost - JohnFocus

I got an "Engine Malfunction - Service Now" warning in the middle of a 300 mile journey. I called the RAC and he plugged in his computer and diagnosed "Turbo Charger Overboost".

He suggested it could be a clogged turbo filter or something along those lines.

He unplugged the MAF sensor as a temporary fix and suggested getting it looked at soon.

I did manage to get to my destination ok, although the engine (1.0 ecoboost) was very sluggish - getting to 70 was an effort and getting up hills was even more of an effort...

The problem is that it's xmas eve, and I'm going back home on Boxing day, so zero chance of getting it to a mechanic by then. So basically is it safe (for the engine) to drive it 300 miles back home, or am I going to wreck the engine?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to what disconnecting the MAF sensor does - does that stop the overboost, making it safe to drive?

(10 year old 1.0 ecoboost ford focus)

Edited by JohnFocus on 24/12/2023 at 18:35

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Turbocharger overboost - elekie&a/c doctor
Turbo overboost could be related to the turbo waste gate solenoid and its associated vacuum operated system . Disconnecting the maf sensor will put the engine ecu into default mode .

so default eca mode should be ok to drive for the long journey home?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Turbocharger overboost - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see that being a problem. Just take it easy .

Will do, thanks

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Turbocharger overboost - JONATHAN_11_80

Hi,

The vacuum pump controls turbo operation on the 1.0 ecoboost. Usually when the vacuum pump starts struggling the wet timing belt is breaking up and blocking the oil pump strainer effecting oil pressure. Obviously I have no idea about your cars service history or what oil has been used during services. However your wetbelt change interval is now overdue.

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 25/12/2023 at 20:02