Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - galileo

My stepson visited us yesterday, among his other problems his Astra apparently has three temperature sensors strewn around the engine: one failed, had it replaced but it seems a software update is needed, which is a10 minute procedure at a Vauxhall dealers.

Until this is done the cooling fan runs constantly (overcooling the engine and no heat available from the heater) and a temperature warning light is on,

The four Vauxhall dealers in West Yorkshire tell him they can't fit in this 10 minute update until December 8th at the earliest (this also applies to a North Yorkshire dealer miles away.

Is it worth calling Vauxhall UK Customer Service or will they be equally unhelpful?

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - catsdad

A month is a long time but even two to three weeks seems normal these days. My VAG dealer was booked out two or three weeks ahead. The Suzuki dealer I just bought our Vitara from cautioned us to book services about a month ahead due to how busy they get. My indie, who we now use for our Golf books two to three weeks out. Local social media often has pleas for garages who can sort out an issue as everyone is “booked up for weeks”.

I think it’s a combination of skill shortages and the economics of running a workshop (less downtime is better business so try to run full). I read somewhere that the COVID MoT amnesty and non-use has resulted in lumpy MoT and service demand which can cause busy peaks. Maybe an element of truth there.

Nevertheless I’d be really annoyed if, like Galileo’s stepson, I had to wait a month. Although it might only be a simple update I bet they will charge enough when they eventually do the work. I doubt manufacturers care much about long waiting lists, unfortunately.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - skidpan

I read somewhere that the COVID MoT amnesty and non-use has resulted in lumpy MoT and service demand which can cause busy peaks

The Covid MOT amnesty ended on 31 July 2020, that is over 3 years ago. Cannot see why its still affecting demand.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - Xileno

When I had my old Focus MOT'd last Monday, there was a person in reception wanting to book her car in for service and she was told the earliest was 14th Dec. Completely booked up. This is West Wilts.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - skidpan

When I had my old Focus MOT'd last Monday, there was a person in reception wanting to book her car in for service and she was told the earliest was 14th Dec. Completely booked up. This is West Wilts.

Had 3 cars MOT'd this year, the Fabia, Caterham and Superb. Not had an issue booking any in but to be fair I do not go with a day to spare and expect to be seen immediately. But I did not have to wait 5 weeks, they were all done on a date and time of my choice within 2 weeks.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - catsdad

Thanks for the date Skidpan. I think the point was that what had been a reasonably flat profile for MOT tests preCovid became lumpy when the amnesty ended. Not only did that affect the initial need to get an MOT but the renewals in following years would see that lump coming through. However as it’s July it’s not a factor here. Sorry for the red herring.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - Lee Power

The local small fast fit garage near me currently has roughly 3 week wait for MOT & / or service appointments.

They recently had my mothers car in for MOT but she always books in early using the 28 day window.

I have seen reports last week over on the Peugeot forum that certain Peugeot main dealers cant offer any repair appointments until Jan 2024 - not great if you have a knackered Puretech engine.

Shortage of decent staff is a garage trade problem that will only get worse, a main dealer that treats mechanics badly will find they will disappear for a better offer elsewhere.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - gordonbennet

Is there a dealer standard diagnostic softare available online for Vx's as there is with Toyotas?

For Toyotas its Techstream, which you download onto a laptop and then connect via the OBD port, Techstream cost me some £25 a good few years ago but needed the help of our IT chap to finally get connection to the car, that wasn't the fault of the software but me being useless with PCs.

Worth having a poke nose about, VX forums might be more informative.

Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - elekie&a/c doctor
Did the Vauxhall dealer say why it needs a software update ? Is it anything related to this temp sensor fault ? Access to modern car diagnostic systems is becoming more difficult as it’s done with “doip “ diagnostic over internet protocol, and access is security protected.
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 - Vauxhall dealers booked up? - galileo
Did the Vauxhall dealer say why it needs a software update ? Is it anything related to this temp sensor fault ? Access to modern car diagnostic systems is becoming more difficult as it’s done with “doip “ diagnostic over internet protocol, and access is security protected.

Exactly so, the lad is Transport Manager at a haulage depot, the resident mechanic said this temperature sensor issue needs resetting but only VX have the software.

As the thermostat is stuck open and the fan running all the time it never warms up, no warm air from the heater, temperature gauge doesn't work, not ideal for his 40 mile daily commute to work.

I provided him with a suitable piece of cardboard and means of attachment to partially block the radiator, he'll experiment to find a suitable position. With frosts forecast demisting with cold air will not work well.

What genius decided it needed 3 sensors to control a thermostat and a fan, dependent on internet access to fix faults? Possibly the same nerd designing the Puretec mentioned above which can't be fixed till next year by dealers.

I'm sure all these 'advances' are done for theoretical improvements in the sacred cow of emissions.

In practice emissions are mainly reduced because the b------y car spends so much time unusable because of faults.