BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Aldee

I won and bought a car on eBay through an auction BMW 323 e21 (1979). Due to the distance of where the car was located I had a 3rd party pick it up and deliver it to me. The advert stated it's a restoration project, has rust in all the usual places and needs work. The advert stated the interior was good but just needed a good clean but the car drives well. His photos didn't really show the extent of the rust however as mentioned he did say it has rust in his advert.

On recieving the vehicle

1. The roof upholstery is in very poor condition, but was juat stated the interior needs a good clean. 2. Omitted The lack of a wing mirror 3.The lack of a battery to start the car. 4. A previous colour change. 5.A large hole present in the boot floor.

However, I sent photos to a few independent restoration garages and they have pretty much declined to restore it as they say it's not financially viable and the costs would way exceed the value of the car. Do I have any rights regarding this matter ?

Many thanks

Edited by Aldee on 27/06/2023 at 18:24

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Palcouk

The price paid at Ebay may have some bearing

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Adampr

It appears to have been a shade over £7,000....

Looking at the advert, I can't see much grounds for complaint. It states multiple times that it's in need of restoration and specifically recommends viewing the car.

Having not viewed the car, I don't think it's reasonable to claim any misselling.

If approached very gently, the seller might be talked into taking it back for close to the price paid.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325662806089?mkcid=16&mkevt...Y

Edited by Adampr on 27/06/2023 at 19:57

Ok I appreciate the input, I like to be fair and if it's my error of judgement then so be it. I may have to accept my losses.

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - sammy1

Looks like you could do with a little help from Fuzz on Car sausage! 41 bids so clearly a desirable car. If not happy you could try re-listing it. Or if you are an enthusiast there are many BMW sites, warehouses etc holding good stocks of parts for your project.. What do you think the completed car might fetch?

Yes I didn't particularly want to go down the legal route. I'm not sure if those bidders would be actually keen once they saw the car in person and whether those bids are from mates ? 20k at most - restoration cost estimated from 50k to 100k but with the general view they don't want to take it on. The only viable option I could imagine if someone has the ability to do the work themselves.

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see how you can go the legal route. You’ve bought a car that has been perfectly described as a restoration project with loads of rust. Unfortunately, restoring old cars is a lot more expensive than people make out and sadly you have fallen into that trap . You have payed well over the top for this vehicle. It’s real value is about £2-3 k max . Move it on to recover some of your loss .
BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - alan1302

1. The roof upholstery is in very poor condition, but was juat stated the interior needs a good clean. 2. Omitted The lack of a wing mirror 3.The lack of a battery to start the car. 4. A previous colour change. 5.A large hole present in the boot floor.

Is there meant to be two as in the pics there is the drivers side one but a lot of older cars have one.

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Andrew-T

Is there meant to be two as in the pics there is the drivers side one but a lot of older cars have one.

I'm pretty sure that most cars had mirrors both sides by 1979. Beemers, anyway.

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Adampr

I'm pretty sure that most cars had mirrors both sides by 1979. Beemers, anyway.

My mum's Fiesta Popular only had one mirror - that was 1985.

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Gibbo_Wirral

Ditto my first Mini Metro (yes, can you believe I was a sucker for punishment and got another!!!). I think the passenger side mirror was an optional extra!

Ditto my first Mini Metro (yes, can you believe I was a sucker for punishment and got another!!!). I think the passenger side mirror was an optional extra!

Yes, they certainly were, for a long time. But I'd be surprised if a 1979 Beemer only had one outside mirror ?

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - elekie&a/c doctor
This is phase 1 , pre 1978 model . Only fitted with one chrome manual mirror on the drivers door . The later facelift model had the two electric mirrors .
This is phase 1 , pre 1978 model . Only fitted with one chrome manual mirror on the drivers door . The later facelift model had the two electric mirrors .

In that case the OP's 'Lack of a wing mirror' is false ?

BMW 323 - Bought car - misled ? Advice please - Simon

I think that you (the OP) are on your own with this one. You've bought a restoration project off eBay without viewing it in person. It doesn't appear particularly misdescribed, it's always going to be on the poorer side than any description or photos will show. In my opinion the seller has done nothing wrong. If you no longer want it, sell it on and cut your losses.