Cadbury Flakes - sammy1

Well we all love a Cadbury Flake don't we? Well it appears the Ice cream men don't any more. The flakes are too crumbly and falling apart when trying to make your 99. Remember the seductive advert "A sixpence worth of heaven"" well it appears to be all in your lap now!. Since Cadbury was sold all sorts of changes have taken place and the Flake is now made in Egypt would you believe. So I do not know what happened to the "glass and a half" of whole cream milk because I don't think there are many cows in Egypt? Maybe the problem is they are using a substitute milk, camel perhaps? I cannot imagine that Cadbury are shipping gallons of good old British cows milk to Egypt. So just how do you make chocolate in a country with traditionally high temperatures, may be this is the problem and flakes are setting wrong. Whatever Cadbury have assured the Ice cream men that the problem has been sorted.

Now to the real point, how can the world sort out climate change when nothing is made reasonably locally and even food flown or shipped everywhere. Cadbury set up a new facility and ship product to the UK some 2.5 thousand miles and make a profit. Previously made in the UK by employees in the UK. The practice is happening with everything worldwide. So are the efforts to reduce carbon emissions really serious or even directed in the right places.

Cadbury Flakes - Xileno

I read that article as well, the excessive flakiness as you say was caused by a production problem that is now hopefully fixed.

Never been a fan of Cadbury's since they were sold off. I find the texture of the chocolate slightly greasy. I much prefer Lindt or even some of the supermarket brands. The Co-op do a really good Fairtrade dark bar. Oddly the Cadbury's Twirl still tastes like Cadbury's of old. I read somewhere that it's made in Ireland, maybe not yet subject to relocation. Isn't the standard Cadbury's made in Poland now?

I've often thought goods should be taxed according to how far they've travelled, thereby encouraging more local production. I need a new kettle - there are none made in the UK now.

Cadbury Flakes - Adampr

Slightly baffled as to why there wouldn't be cows in Egypt.

Cadbury Flakes - sammy1

Slightly baffled as to why there wouldn't be cows in Egypt.

Egypt is swimming in milk! Didn't Cleopatra bath in the stuff. Whether it is meadow grazed as in the UK is something else or factory farmed as is increasing the norm.

The thread is light hearted and the point is the export of produce by sea and increasing by air all conveniently forgotten in the great scheme of climate change. I am being asked to drive an EV or change to a heat pump at great expense while others skip around in their helicopters private jets and yacht

Cadbury Flakes - gordonbennet
Making or even growing stuff abroad means the production process hasn't added to those important carbon numbers in the climate change scam, the carbon farce itself rapidly becoming as laughable as tractor production figures in the USSR.

We're supposed to listen to obscenely rich individuals who fly 5000 miles in one of their private jets lecturing us on how our 3.30am or 11pm night shift commutes to work are selfish (sorry that was queenie on an other subject), wrong and should be walking or using public transport as befitting our positions as less than equal.

Huxley's and Orwell's works weren't supposed to be instruction manuals for the new leaders of planet animal farm, we now have the state broadcaster crowing about its new Vilify Unit, the Ministry of Truth indeed, you couldn't make it up.

Cadbury's isn't what it was but then nothing is, Wagon Wheels would now fit a wheelbarrow, the best chocolate i've ever tasted was Fry's of old.
Cadbury Flakes - alan1302
we now have the state broadcaster crowing about its...

Except the UK does not have a state broadcaster - as you've been told many times...saying it again does not and will not make it true.

Cadbury Flakes - bathtub tom
Never been a fan of Cadbury's since they were sold off.

I stopped eating it quite a while ago when I thought the taste had changed. SWMBO took a school party to Cadbury world and I'd primed her to ask questions about changes made to the recipe and if different recipes were used in different bars. The answer she got was the same recipe was used in all chocolate and it hadn't changed. She thought they replied too quickly and wasn't convinced she was being told the truth.

Cadbury Flakes - Terry W

Some thoughts with no foundation in fact but may be true:

• labour costs in Egypt are much lower - on average ~£250 per month
  • they do have dairy farming in Egypt but I think the climate may be a negative
  • probably very limited standards of farming husbandry compared to UK

From the Cadburys web site for a Cadburys Dairy Milk:

The equivalent of 426ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227 g of milk chocolate

A pint and a half of full cream milk seems a distant memory.

MILK SOLIDS 20% MINIMUM, ACTUAL 23%. COCOA SOLIDS 20% MINIMUM. CONTAINS VEGETABLE FATS IN ADDITION TO COCOA BUTTER

Milk solids (milk powder??) only 20%. All very appetising!

Cadbury Flakes - Adampr

From the Cadburys web site for a Cadburys Dairy Milk:

The equivalent of 426ml of fresh liquid milk in every 227 g of milk chocolate

A pint and a half of full cream milk seems a distant memory.

I thought it was "a glass and a half in every half pound".

I'm guessing a 'glass' is half a pint, as the figures above are 3/4 of a pint in 1/2 pound.

Cadbury Flakes - groaver

I stopped eating it quite a while ago when I thought the taste had changed. SWMBO took a school party to Cadbury world and I'd primed her to ask questions about changes made to the recipe and if different recipes were used in different bars. The answer she got was the same recipe was used in all chocolate and it hadn't changed. She thought they replied too quickly and wasn't convinced she was being told the truth.

I believe that Dairy Milk is supposed to be the original recipe

Anything without DM on it is the newer recipe.

Happy to be corrected.

I believe that Dairy Milk is supposed to be the original recipe

Anything without DM on it is the newer recipe.

Happy to be corrected.

Dairy Milks don't seem to taste like they used to though.

Cadbury Flakes - sammy1

"""Dairy Milks don't seem to taste like they used to though.""

Partial to a bit of Bournville myself and a box of Lilt does not stand a chance at Xmas.

Further to Cleopatra, Ernie asked his love one if she would like pasteurised milk because pasteurised his best. She said Ernie I will be happy if it comes up to me chest! A classic

Now to the real point, how can the world sort out climate change when nothing is made reasonably locally and even food flown or shipped everywhere. Cadbury set up a new facility and ship product to the UK some 2.5 thousand miles and make a profit. Previously made in the UK by employees in the UK. The practice is happening with everything worldwide. So are the efforts to reduce carbon emissions really serious or even directed in the right places.

Cocoa for chocolate is not grown in the UK - so maybe they should make it where it's grown?

Cadbury Flakes - bathtub tom

Cocoa for chocolate is not grown in the UK - so maybe they should make it where it's grown?

South America, or is that coca? I keep getting the two mixed up, perhaps that's why I'm confused?

;>)

South America, or is that coca? I keep getting the two mixed up, perhaps that's why I'm confused?

;>)

Both are from South Americal although Cocoa for chcolate usually comes from West Africa...Coca may keep people very confused! :-)

Cadbury Flakes - Adampr

;>)

Both are from South Americal although Cocoa for chcolate usually comes from West Africa...Coca may keep people very confused! :-)

If all that west African cocoa was transported overland to somewhere on a trade route to both Europe and Asia, it would make a lot of sense to make the chocolate there and ship it directly, rather than send the cocoa to its final destination and make the chocolate there...

Cadbury Flakes - SLO76
Everything corporate America touches goes to hell. Best example is in our line of interest, when GM bought (and utterly ruined) Saab. I still remember being stunned by how bad the first GM 9-5 was that I sat in compared to its genuine high quality predecessor the 9000. The interior plastics were awful, the centre console could be shook from side to side by hand. The diesel engines were either rattly chain driven GM 2.2’s or later Fiat 1.9’s neither of which came close to meeting the refinement standards expected of a prestige brand.

Jaguar under Ford wasn’t quite so bad, at least the cars drove well. But the quality simply wasn’t there. The X-Type and early S type were actually poorer inside than the Fords they were based on. The X-Type in particular was a less honest and generally poorer car than its Mondeo relative despite costing substantially more. The 4wd system was unnecessary and increased the already poor fuel consumption and decreased long term reliability as they tended to eat rear diffs. The 2.5 didn’t have the torque to need it anyway. The rattly Ford diesels didn’t help the image of the car either. I’d take a Mondeo over one any day.

Corporate America is controlled solely by the accountants, they think of short term gain over all else. This doesn’t play out well in the car game, you’re soon left behind by firms who genuinely invest in their products and with Cadbury’s, you can’t fool Brits when it comes to chocolate. I rarely bother buying any of their products now, they don’t taste like the once did. So what’s the point of taking the calories if you don’t enjoy it?

Edited by SLO76 on 28/05/2023 at 00:23

Cadbury Flakes - groaver

For all that it's easy to criticise Cadbury, Nestle (UK) make the worst " chocolate" on the market of the big players.

Absolutely rank! Waxy overly sweetened stuff.

I miss the days of Rowntrees Mackint***.

Go abroad into Europe and the big Nestle bars are far, far superior quality and taste.

Cadbury Flakes - _

We like, in no particular order,Hotel chocolat, Aldi and Lidle own brand 70%-95% cocoa chocolates,Lindt and green and blacks high % cocoa bars.

Of course when in belgium we head for a nice shop in Bruges, where thet make the choccys in front of you, (there are also plenty on display.

Yes, They are more expensive, but no palm or vegetable oils in them and no "preservatives" either.

Pay peanuts, you'll get Yuk.

Cadbury Flakes - _
Everything corporate America touches goes to hell. Best example is in our line of interest, when GM bought (and utterly ruined) Saab. I still remember being stunned by how bad the first GM 9-5 was that I sat in compared to its genuine high quality predecessor the 9000. The interior plastics were awful, the centre console could be shook from side to side by hand. The diesel engines were either rattly chain driven GM 2.2’s or later Fiat 1.9’s neither of which came close to meeting the refinement standards expected of a prestige brand. Jaguar under Ford wasn’t quite so bad, at least the cars drove well. But the quality simply wasn’t there. The X-Type and early S type were actually poorer inside than the Fords they were based on. The X-Type in particular was a less honest and generally poorer car than its Mondeo relative

In the past BL and all the various components including some makes still with us, went for the cheapest supplier.

and now?