3G turn off - corax

It's been in the news recently that 3G will be turned off over the coming years. It will leave more space to expand 4G coverage apparently.

I live in a fairly rural area and most of the time my phone picks up 3G. Very rarely it will switch to 4G, but it's noticeable how much quicker data download is.

I've just replaced my smartphone with one that isn't 5G enabled. Great noises are made about the speed (of 5G), but it only seems to be relevant in towns/cities. I have no experience how good it is in those areas.

Does anyone think that network coverage is good in this country, particularly in most of the rural areas where you're lucky to get a signal at all. I'm on Tesco Mobile which uses 02.

3G turn off - Crickleymal

I don't think the network coverage is good at all really. I live on the outskirts of Gloucester and even here I'm not getting a full 4G signal. If I go shopping in one of the numerous Lidl shops it drops to zero on any network inside. I also go caving in the Forest if Dean and the network there is very patchy indeed. I remember a few years ago having a problem with my car on a camp site in Yorkshire. Only one phone out of the 3 in our family could get a signal and then only if you wandered over to the far side of the site. We're mostly on Vodafone/Talkmobile now but were previously on a variety of networks including Tesco and Talktalk.

3G turn off - Falkirk Bairn

Problem for Smart Meters - they use 3g!

Another few billion to replace the new meters that have cost £500/£600 per installation!

3G turn off - Adampr

I get a signal if I stand in the garden or lean out of the bathroom window. I'm not sure it's any kind of G!

3G turn off - Adampr

Another few billion to replace the new meters that have cost £500/£600 per installation!

Apparently, they use a combination of 2G and 3G because those are the 'strongest' signals. They will be shut down in ten years' time. The plan is, of course, that 4G and 5G will be more widespread and stable at that point and all meters will use those networks.

Apparently, the whole meter doesn't need to changed; there is a comma hub attached to it, which will be swapped. Certainly work, but not.muxh more than it took for someone to.come and read the meter.

3G turn off - Bolt

Apparently, they use a combination of 2G and 3G because those are the 'strongest' signals. They will be shut down in ten years' time. The plan is, of course, that 4G and 5G will be more widespread and stable at that point and all meters will use those networks.

Apparently, the whole meter doesn't need to changed; there is a comma hub attached to it, which will be swapped. Certainly work, but not.muxh more than it took for someone to.come and read the meter.

Most I am told are 2g which apparently is being turned off around 2030 depending on company, as not all are turning off next year, afaia all networks can be patchy depending where the phone masts are... but I have stuck with 02 as they appear to remain steady in most areas that I have been to.

3 are imo terrible but some say its great, Vodaphone have always been bad but gather that is down to the phone as some dont seem to like it, (never used it so no idea)

BT/EE is meant to be the better signal but not found them to be that great and still find 02 the better of all those I have tried, Sky appear to drop out more than Tesco mobile for some reason yet all use the same masts

3G turn off - corax

Most I am told are 2g which apparently is being turned off around 2030 depending on company, as not all are turning off next year, afaia all networks can be patchy depending where the phone masts are... but I have stuck with 02 as they appear to remain steady in most areas that I have been to.

Apparently O2 use frequencies that are better able to penetrate building walls. I used to be on Vodaphone but never found them that great. I've been happy enough with O2. I was reading that 4G, although it's faster, uses a narrower bandwidth, so there is less capacity when busy. I suppose by removing 3G, they are freeing up more bandwidth for 4G? But I might be wrong, I'm not an expert!

3G turn off - Bolt

I suppose by removing 3G, they are freeing up more bandwidth for 4G? But I might be wrong, I'm not an expert!

5G as well I gather, while they work on 6G, a few hurdles to go over before that comes though, not sure what the problems are with that.

5G gives around 150mbps, some areas can be faster download if in direct line of sight with the tower, not sure of upload but will get better as 3G is stopped, but as said not all are stopping it and not all have given a date to stop.

I know some people are annoyed they have to get another phone as they are happy with what they have, problem is tech is advancing so fast. whether its for the better is another thing, as not everyone wants advanced phones, just basic ones...

3G turn off - _

We live in a 5G area, but in the house, I can't get it. If i go to the back garden which faces the direction of the hospital then i can get 5G.

The Three "3" network is useless where we are. A couple of years back we were persuaded to take out 2 sim only contracts, a eventually succeeded.nd then I had a fight to cancel them when we had no signal.

Getting hold of a manager to eventually cancel the contracts was a real pain.

3G turn off - gordonbennet

I've been with Orange, now EE, since you could get handsets smaller than a breeze block, presumably currently on 4g cos the phone is about 4 years old and in my daily travels i don't think i've been anywhere that has no signal at all, yes weak sometimes but can't recall a dead spot.

Not bothered about upgrading (have an identical spare if mine dies), i don't need a smartphone and would rather have an old Nokia 3310 or similar, but google maps is invaluable for my travels to keep an eye on traffic issues, it loads maps etc quickly enough for me.

Company issued us with smart phones, its slow cluttery generally a pita to do anything with and the battery lasts about 1/4 the time my phone does so i don't use it, so glad i didn't spend any of my own money on this high profile make.

3G turn off - Lee Power

Company issued us with smart phones, its slow cluttery generally a pita to do anything with and the battery lasts about 1/4 the time my phone does so i don't use it, so glad i didn't spend any of my own money on this high profile make.

Has your company IT department locked down the device or is it running pure stock operating system?

As for networks, I'm with Vodafone & so now is the GF, she used to be with EE but frequently had no signal where I had a decent 4G Vodafone signal.

We use Vodafone for the company issued mobile phones & also the 4G data sims for the company laptops.

I remember being a Three customer back in 2016 & having no signal in central London long enough one day for the Windows Phone anti theft protection to kick in.

3G turn off - Bolt

We live in a 5G area, but in the house, I can't get it.

If your phone is switchable and you have WiFi the phone should automatically switch to WiFi when going indoors or within the WiFi range.

when you walk outside of WiFi range it should switch over to 4/5G

3G turn off - Engineer Andy

Apparently 5G (each 'generation' in turn) is far worse on the range it can achieve from any one local transmitter As such, 5G transmitters will be 'installed' (likely without locals knowing) in street lights to get around both the range issue and objections (for whatever reason) from local people.

(all below IMHO)

There is currently a shame 'enquiry' going on into 5G, including whitewashing any safety concerns. The legacy media aren't covering the issue at all.

I did, however, find out via independent sources that some of the mobile phone giants have in the past paid out large sums in compensation (but using NDAs and with no publicity via the legacy media) for cancers caused by mobile phone masts and where they deliberately covered up evidence during testing even in the 2G era, and have not carried out much in the way of proper safety testing since.

Like with certain other recent issues, governments have let them do as they pleased because of the very lucrative sums of money they get in for the 'licences'. The ;legacy media won't report it at present as they get nice chunks of ad revenue from both governments and tech firms - why bite the hand that feeds you?

3G turn off - Brit_in_Germany

You forgot to mention that the government needs 5G to be able to activate the microchips inserted with the vaccine to switch off half the population.

3G turn off - FP

Is "legacy media" the new right-wingers' term for "mainstream media"?

I assume that's what it is, as Ron DeSantis is now using the term. Maybe it's not that new after all.

The idea that the media is in thrall to various governments (all acting in concert in this, apparently, even though they can't agree over much else) is piffle.

As is the idea that phone masts cause cancer.

Is "legacy media" the new right-wingers' term for "mainstream media"?

I assume that's what it is, as Ron DeSantis is now using the term. Maybe it's not that new after all.

Govenor DeSantis seems to be heads and shoulders above 99.99% of Western politicians in quality, so thanks for that 'vote' of confidence. :-)

The idea that the media is in thrall to various governments (all acting in concert in this, apparently, even though they can't agree over much else) is piffle.

Money talks.

As is the idea that phone masts cause cancer.

Why not review information on this website and then see if your mind is changed, rathger than just regurgitate political tropes or just disagree with something I said because I said it (which is childish to say the least):

www.radiationresearch.org/

Michael Mansfield QC is getting involved, and he's hardly some hack with no record, is he?

3G turn off - FP

"... thanks for that 'vote' of confidence."

- There wasn't one. Mentioning someone's name doesn't mean an endorsement, not in the English I use, anyway. (By the way, DeSantis is Trump without the charm, as far as I can see.)

"...regurgitate political tropes..."

- A bit rich, in view of the phrase "legacy media", used three times in your post above.

The fact that Mansfield is thinking of involving himself in a case against the government shows little - he will see how much he can get out of it. He may not even beIieve he can win it. I see in the latest hearing (Feb 2023) he admits some studies show there is ‘no substantive’ risk to health.

"... thanks for that 'vote' of confidence."

- There wasn't one. Mentioning someone's name doesn't mean an endorsement, not in the English I use, anyway. (By the way, DeSantis is Trump without the charm, as far as I can see.)

More like Trump without the faults. Or Starmer with talent.

"...regurgitate political tropes..."

- A bit rich, in view of the phrase "legacy media", used three times in your post above.

So what would you call all the long-standing TV, radio and newspapers then? Legacy just means long-standing rather than new in this case.

I think you're trying to make something bad out of nothing.

The fact that Mansfield is thinking of involving himself in a case against the government shows little - he will see how much he can get out of it. He may not even beIieve he can win it. I see in the latest hearing (Feb 2023) he admits some studies show there is ‘no substantive’ risk to health.

If correct , that doesn't mean that there isn't, as studies are often not independent. Which section are you referring to? Do you have a url and perhps a paragraph reference so I can review it? I've just looked over the site I referred to and didn't find anything you spoke, of - in fact, quite the opposite. Thanks.

3G turn off - FP

"Legacy just means long-standing rather than new in this case."

- Perhaps you don't know the contemporary use of the phrase, which is from the world of computers. "Legacy software/programs" is a mildly condescending phrase used to describe old-fashioned, quaint software that often doesn't work too well on up-to-date machines and operating systems.

"Do you have a url and perhps a paragraph reference so I can review it?"

rfinfo.co.uk/action-against-5g-hearing-february-20.../ The paragraph concerned is a few lines above the picture. Mansfield's point is that there aren't enough studies to prove/disprove the issue.

"Legacy just means long-standing rather than new in this case."

- Perhaps you don't know the contemporary use of the phrase, which is from the world of computers. "Legacy software/programs" is a mildly condescending phrase used to describe old-fashioned, quaint software that often doesn't work too well on up-to-date machines and operating systems.

And legacy rather aptly descibes the 'old fashioned print and much of the TV news media, which has been around a long time and often not particularly adept at doing the job they are paid for any more, at least for the benefit of their readers, viewers and often shareholders.

Not really condescending at all - quite to the point, all summed up in one word, as gordenbennet said. And again, why are you picking nits in such a trivial matter - is it precisely because you cannot put up a decent defence on other points of substance we post? Sounds like a deliberate attempt at deflection - again.

"Do you have a url and perhps a paragraph reference so I can review it?"

rfinfo.co.uk/action-against-5g-hearing-february-20.../ The paragraph concerned is a few lines above the picture. Mansfield's point is that there aren't enough studies to prove/disprove the issue.

So you'd be perfectly ok to go ahead with a new technology where none of it (and the existing tech) has sufficient studies to prove it is safe? There is more than enough doubt (especially where the 'positive' studies are done on a non-independent basis by the firms providing the tech) to put a stop to all this unless it is proven otherwise.

The whole point of safety testing, whether that be for cars, vaccines...or anything else, is not to shrug and say 'I duuno' but to definitively say IT IS SAFE or within certain easily prescribed limits.

None of this has been (like a lot of 'research, it is often biased by who's doing it, paying for it and/or the terms / methodology of the studies), not just on 5G but on all previous mobile phone transmission technologies, which is why that activist group exists at all and why Michael Mansfield QC has got involved. He rarely backs a horse that won't be winning, whether some like it or not.

Presumably as you and others here have families, including young children / hgrandchildren or other close relatives in that age group, you'd want them to be able to grow up without being at serious risk form harms such as brain cancers, serious mental retardation, etc? So why the objection to proper, fully independent studies?

3G turn off - Brit_in_Germany

But strangely, when it comes to global warming definitive proof is required that the Earth is turning into a toasted biscuit because of fossil fuel burning.

3G turn off - alan1302

So you'd be perfectly ok to go ahead with a new technology where none of it (and the existing tech) has sufficient studies to prove it is safe? There is more than enough doubt (especially where the 'positive' studies are done on a non-independent basis by the firms providing the tech) to put a stop to all this unless it is proven otherwise.

Take a read of this:

5G: Upgrade or Uncertainty? (skeptoid.com)

What concerns do you have now?

3G turn off - Crickleymal

Take a read of this:

5G: Upgrade or Uncertainty? (skeptoid.com)

What concerns do you have now?

Seems about right.

3G turn off - alan1302

Money talks.

So why does the government not pay all the media off and then all the media would come out with just one angle on stories (the one the government wants) and everyone could follow along?

3G turn off - Andrew-T

<< Governor DeSantis seems to be heads and shoulders above 99.99% of Western politicians in quality, >>

Please explain and elaborate ?

<< Why not review information on this website and then see if your mind is changed,>>

The presence of a website which happens to agree with your point of view is not necessarily irrefutable proof.

Edited by Andrew-T on 02/03/2023 at 23:01

3G turn off - Bolt

Apparently 5G (each 'generation' in turn) is far worse on the range it can achieve from any one local transmitter As such, 5G transmitters will be 'installed' (likely without locals knowing) in street lights to get around both the range issue and objections (for whatever reason) from local people.

(all below IMHO)

There is currently a shame 'enquiry' going on into 5G, including whitewashing any safety concerns. The legacy media aren't covering the issue at all.

I did, however, find out via independent sources that some of the mobile phone giants have in the past paid out large sums in compensation (but using NDAs and with no publicity via the legacy media) for cancers caused by mobile phone masts and where they deliberately covered up evidence during testing even in the 2G era, and have not carried out much in the way of proper safety testing since.

Like with certain other recent issues, governments have let them do as they pleased because of the very lucrative sums of money they get in for the 'licences'. The ;legacy media won't report it at present as they get nice chunks of ad revenue from both governments and tech firms - why bite the hand that feeds you?

Not sure where you get your info but 5G was tested out a couple of years before it was started in the UK and was found to be, apart from technical problems, SAFE and non hazardous to humans (unless you get too close to the Mast) which I doubt anyone in there right mind would do

those that did protest about the masts being situated too close to houses really had no idea what they were talking about, but to save hassle they installed the masts under shop signs and Boxes aside roads so they were not seen

Too many assume things, because someone says they are bad everyone thinks they are without checking the facts, which appears to be the norm now.....

3G turn off - corax

I don't think the network coverage is good at all really. I live on the outskirts of Gloucester and even here I'm not getting a full 4G signal. If I go shopping in one of the numerous Lidl shops it drops to zero on any network inside. I also go caving in the Forest if Dean and the network there is very patchy indeed.

I was on holiday in Scotland right up in the North West, using acommodation on the side of a hill on the edge of Ullapool. I didn't think I'd get much signal, but my phone had full bars. Looked out of the window and I could see the mast on a hill in the distance on the other side of the loch, serving Ullapool. Probably the best connectivity I've ever had :-)