Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - IJG18

A neighbour reversed out of her garden and hit my car parked in the road whilst I wasnt in it. Her insurance company have dealt with me direct and due to the age of my car (ford focus 5DR 1800 zetec, Feb 2002) it has made two offers to me. 1) accept a price for the difference in value before and after the incident and keep the car, or 2) accept the pre incident price and loose the car. Is there any alternates here? Lastly do I need to inform my insurance as the other party has admitted full responsibility and liability, and if I do inform my insurance will my next premium go up and can I claim this from the other insurer? I have a crease in the drivers wing and paintwork damage, the car is roadworthy and driveable

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - RT

Why do you need an alternative offer? The third party insurer seems to be generous in making two offers.

When you next renew or take out new insurance you will need to declare this - the question is usually "any accidents, claims or convictions"

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - Gibbo_Wirral

Useful info here on notifying the insurers:

www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/non-fault-c.../

Article states that

Your premiums could go up after you’ve declared a non-fault claim. This is because your insurance provider may decide that the reason for the claim is more likely to happen again, even though it wasn’t your fault.

If that's the case then maybe while you're dealing with the other parties insurer you get something to compensate for this?

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - elekie&a/c doctor
If the car is in good order with minor damage , I’d keep it . Write off or not, it’s not going to make any difference to a car this age.
Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - jp2021

I would too.

Sadly insurers now try to use excuse of non fault accident to load premium. Year ago when I worked for a then very reputable company ( now a bunch of comedian run it) this would have been no charge. Likewise one driver with conviction- only load one car- cant drive more than one at once.

Now they load every car the driver is covered for- yet another rip off

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - Andrew-T

It's normal in cases of minor damage to a vehicle of small value, for an insurer to offer the choice of [a] taking your written-off car for its scrap value and paying you to buy another of the same model; or [b] letting you get your car repaired while paying you the amount in [a] less the estimated scrap value. Commonly they assume owners will prefer [a] and may not be interested in [b].

I had a similar write-off to my 8-year-old car 6 years ago - third-party admitted fault, car was deemed a write-off but I kept it and local bodyshop repaired it for about £200 more than my payout. It's still going.

Your damage sounds to be minor cosmetic, so if you value the car for its reliability etc. I would go for [b], but if you aren't too bothered you could take the payout and do without the repairs. If the third party insurer had not taken blame you might not have claimed yourself. But when renewal time comes you will need to fess up.

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - IJG18

Thanks to those who replied. The car was my wifes last before she died and I do low milage in it and have it serviced every year. It has special meaning for me so I will keep it but first ask the insurer if they would increase their offer to cover my additional premium for their clients accident. Not too hopeful on that one but costs nothing to ask. Shame I have to tell my insurance company but they all share info now so no choice in the matter. You just cant win with insurance companies!!

Ford Focus 1800cc zetec, Feb 2002. - Minor Bump. - Xileno

Always worth asking the insurer to up their offer, what's the old saying - don't ask don't get, or something like that.

Aside from the personal attachment to the car, good MK1 Focus are getting rare so if yours is a nice one then worth keeping. The 1.8 Zetec was a good spec in the day. Rust usually gets them in the end.