VW Passat - Length of time between accident & court proceding - Phuketman

Had an accident on 24th May. Police attended. I have had no correspondence from them at all until today when I get a court letter saying it will be heard in court at the end of November.

The letter is dated 28th October 2022. I believe that is 157 days. Is there a limit ? It has taken them just over FIVE months to issue proceedings?

I intend pleading guilty by post because I pulled out of a side road and hit a motorcyclist i did not see.

The only thing I believe I can contest this on is that they may have served the papers too late?

VW Passat - Length of time between accident & court proceding - Middleman

Assuming you have been charged with Careless Driving, the police have six months (twelve months in Scotland) to issue court proceedings.

I imagine you have a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" (SJPN) and if you plead guilty and do not request a court appearance the case will be dealt with by a single Magistrate sitting with a legal advisor, hearing cases "on the papers". Nobody else can attend and you will be informed of the outcome by post. If you request a personal hearing (which is an option when you respond to the SJPN) or if the SJ believes disqualification should be considered your case will be listed for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court, and you will be invited to attend.

VW Passat - Length of time between accident & court proceding - ExA35Owner

They have six months to issue proceedings. The paperwork takes longer so 6 months plus a couple of weeks is still within the rules.