Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - civicpride2056

Hi,
Tonight whilst driving I needed to pull over and being on a dual carriageway where it would not be appropriate to stop, I pulled into a bus stop, as I just needed a moment to check my route. I had my hazards on, I may have briefly turned off my engine. I was there for about ten seconds, then moved back off.

I see now the bus stop had red lines. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6023875,0.2...6384!8i8192

There was no signage eg "no stopping at anytime" to accompany it. I can't see any cameras according to streetview, can anyone here see any?

Are there any exceptions to this? Honestly if I am fined £80 I will be gutted because I've literally spent 9 hours working today driving around so it will have all been for nothing if done for that. Ironicalyl the reason I puleld was to avoid the inappropriate use of my phone whilst driving which would have also got me fined/and points.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - alan1302

They don't have signs in Bus Stops as you are not allowed to stop in them as you should know.

If there were not cameras then I would not expect a fine on the post anytime soon.

If you need to pull over wait until you can do so safely and legally.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - bathtub tom

Should have lifted the bonnet and scratched your head.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Adampr

Normally, they put the cameras on the buses, so you may have got away with it. If you do get caught, don't bother trying to get out of it - TfL are utter rotbags. I once got a fine for using a loading bay......for loading. They told me I had to prove I was loading, not the other way around. I asked them if I also had to prove I hadn't murdered anyone. Six months and a lot of correspondence with my GLA member and they gave up.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - civicpride2056

I've seen quite a few people on Pepipoo get out of it especially on De Minimis grounds, aka, showing 2 seconds of footage.

Surely their must be exceptions, and common sense must apply.

The lines have faded quite a bit since the last street view and there are no signs at the bus stop indicating you can't stop there, like the usual red line loading ones you see.

If you were to break down I expect that would be classed as an exception - someone lost looking for directions would not be though - the bus stops are for buses and if you are parked up there when one wants to come in then you are blocking the bus and all the traffic behind.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Andrew-T

If you were to break down I expect that would be classed as an exception - someone lost looking for directions would not be though - the bus stops are for buses and if you are parked up there when one wants to come in then you are blocking the bus and all the traffic behind.

If common sense applied, the argument might be that as no bus had been obstructed no offence had been committed. The timetable might be spa*** (one bus every ½-hour for example) ; or you might stop at 2am when no buses are running. But I bet that argument would never apply. Might you be permitted to stop to pick up a passenger ? :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 12/09/2022 at 09:51

If common sense applied, the argument might be that as no bus had been obstructed no offence had been committed. The timetable might be spa*** (one bus every ½-hour for example) ; or you might stop at 2am when no buses are running. But I bet that argument would never apply. Might you be permitted to stop to pick up a passenger ? :-)

If common sense applied then we'd not need to have rules for driving as there would not be a need for them as everyone would drive along nicely...sadly we don't live in that world.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Bromptonaut

I've seen quite a few people on Pepipoo get out of it especially on De Minimis grounds, aka, showing 2 seconds of footage.

You can always try and run such an argument (ie de minimis), taking it as far as the Tribunal if you want to persist. The risk is that you don't get anywhere, the discount period expires and you're in the frame for £160.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - ExA35Owner

What have your hazard warning lights got to do with the no stopping regulations? There seems to be a view that they somehow give permission to break the regulations - they don't.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Bromptonaut

Double red lines mean 'no stopping at any time'. According to TfL's website they don't require a time plate:

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-r...g

The Highway Code suggests there may be signage at the start of a Red Route but it looks as though they're used here to remove any ambiguity about using a bus bay to stop for any purpose.

The streetview link does not show an obvious camera but there is a camera warning on the side of the road as you approach the bus stop.

Going to be a wait/see for a couple of weeks to see if you get a PCN in the post. Is your car correctly registered to your address or at least one where you've a chance of the notice coming to your attention within a few days of arriving?

If you're penalised then think the best you can do here is put your hand up and pay while the early discount applies otherwise £80 becomes £160.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/09/2022 at 12:26

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Gibbo_Wirral

Lots of cars stopped on the red lines last night to watch the Queen's funeral procession go past.

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Andrew-T

Lots of cars stopped on the red lines last night to watch the Queen's funeral procession go past.

Presumably the rules were waived for the occasion - or maybe there is safety in numbers :-)

Honda Civic - TfL red lines stopping - are there any exemptions? - Adampr

I imagine TfL will send them all a fine anyway!