Wrongful Police Request - Mark Chinn

My 92 year old father was convicted of driving without due care and attention in November 2020 no
Issue so far. However in April 2021 he was contacted by Dyfed Powys Police , stating as he was convicted of a recordable offence he was to attend at a local police station for Photographing,Fingerprinting and collection of DNA. Being an ex police officer I knew this was incorrect and challenged them, they replied oh sorry it’s a mistake fair enough you think however I am sure Dad was not the only and that Dyfed Powys is not the only force to wrongly request this . I have complained directly to them nothing other than sorry being their reply, how do we publicise this to the general motoring community?
I have sent to press office of AA and RAC no reply from either, all very very unsatisfactory to say the least.
Please circulate
Wrongful Police Request - Gerry Sanderson

Admin glitch on what is recordable offence .... bound to happen considering amount of law churched out and police admin by civilians only with on job training.

Storm in a tea cup.

Dvd

Wrongful Police Request - Dag Hammar

Re the above response from Gerry Sanderson.

It most certainly is not a storm in a teacup.
It begs the question how many other people have been asked to attend the police station and duly obliged ?
My knowledge on the freedom of information act is practically nil but I wonder if the OP submitted an FOI request to the constabulary it might reveal some unsavoury truths.

Wrongful Police Request - alan1302

Re the above response from Gerry Sanderson.

It most certainly is not a storm in a teacup.

How do you know? You can't state a fact without any facts. You are looking at this as there must be an issue without actually knowing.

Wrongful Police Request - Gerry Sanderson

DAg

Your not aware yet that we dont live in a perfect world?

dvd

Wrongful Police Request - focussed

DAg

dvd

You're obviously not aware that the forces of law and order are supposed to have a working knowledge of the law and how to administer it?

DAg

dvd

You're obviously not aware that the forces of law and order are supposed to have a working knowledge of the law and how to administer it?

So you don't accept any mistakes at any times by the poilce no matter what?

Wrongful Police Request - focussed

DAg

dvd

In a word - No. They are (supposed to be) trained to administer the law properly.

Just as we are supposed to comply with the law.

DAg

dvd

In a word - No. They are (supposed to be) trained to administer the law properly.

Just as we are supposed to comply with the law.

You expect the impossible then and won't ever find it

Wrongful Police Request - FP

"You're obviously not aware that the forces of law and order are supposed to have a working knowledge of the law and how to administer it?"

The point about DVD's comment is that it's probable a mistake was made. He didn't suggest the police don't know enough about the law.

Mistakes happen. They shouldn't and we should all strive for perfection in whatever job we do.

Wrongful Police Request - Bromptonaut

Apart from inconvenience and indignity for an elderly gentleman what other consequence might have arisen had the data the OP mentions been collected?

Wrongful Police Request - Bromptonaut

If there was a systemic issue in the force concerned so that a lot of people were having DNA taken who should not that's bad. There needs to be review of how it happened. Unless there was an aspect of real negligence that should be a blame free learning exercise.

If somebody in the force concerned was wilfully spreading the net wider than the law permits for their own reasons then there's a discipline issue for somebody.

On the other hand, in any organisation, things get cocked up from time to time.

My employer has just had to re-issue its weekly advice on updates to law and practice because there was a mistake.

Wrongful Police Request - Zippy123

Just be aware that if the police do this then it is assault. See a solicitor.