Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Z4 boy

In June 2019 my partner and I were spending the weekend in London. We had had dinner at the shard and we decided to take an UBER back to the hotel. When we left the shard I arranged the uber on my phone and we waited outside. A short while after the taxi arrived and we jumped in. When we got to our destination, we pulled uo alongside the hotel and as we were getting out a black cab driver drive round the taxi we were in just as my fiancee was opening the door. The black cab caught the door of the uber subsequently pushing the door further round than it should go. Pictures were taken and my fiancee gave the uber driver his details and we went up to our room for the night. We left London the next day and returned home. A few days later the uber driver often messaged and phoned my fiancee claiming we owed him £3,000 in compensation and loss of earnings. We phoned uber who said we would not be liable and that this accident would be covered under the drivers insurance. We then never heard any more. That was 3 years ago, and recently my fiancee has been contacted via the government website notifying him he is being sued by the uber driver for approx £1,800 in loss of earnings, hire vehicles, public transport etc. Does anybody have any advice regarding this as surely this should be covered by his insurance as this is obviously an accident. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

NJ

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Brit_in_Germany

In similar situations, the taxi's insurance has paid out. If you have 3rd party liability insurance (e.g. with your household insurance), it would be worth notifying the insurance company.

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - bathtub tom

I understood the driver of the vehicle is responsible in cases like this.

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - SLO76
“That was 3 years ago, and recently my fiancee has been contacted via the government website notifying him he is being sued by the uber driver for approx £1,800 in loss of earnings”

What government website? Beware of official sounding nonsense from third party accident claim firms and the guy himself trying his luck. Despite your fiancée’s clumsiness and lack of observation causing the accident you have no liability here, the drivers business insurance will cover this and the loss of earnings. Ignore all correspondence unless it comes from a court of law in your jurisdiction and even then call them (verify the number) before acting as again it will almost certainly not be genuine.
Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Adampr

It sounds like the taxi driver had inadequate insurance and has been battling with his insurer for the last three years. He has now given up on that and is trying his luck at making a court claim against your partner.

As above, worth asking your home insurer to handle it if you have third party cover. Otherwise, I think your partner will end up having to attend a hearing. Given the circumstances, I can't see how we could be liable, so it's just an inconvenience.

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Bromptonaut
What government website? Beware of official sounding nonsense from third party accident claim firms and the guy himself trying his luck. Despite your fiancée’s clumsiness and lack of observation causing the accident you have no liability here, the drivers business insurance will cover this and the loss of earnings. Ignore all correspondence unless it comes from a court of law in your jurisdiction and even then call them (verify the number) before acting as again it will almost certainly not be genuine.

The bolded bit is key. What exactly has your fiancé received?

If it's County Court process issued by the Uber driver via the government website for Money Claim Online then it needs dealing with. This probably means acknowledging receipt and filing a defence.

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Z4 boy

Yes this is what has happened and we have submitted our statement.

Apparently the car was rented and insured and he is claiming his excess of a £1000 and costs plus loss of earnings.

Surely he would have his own insurance for these eventualities.

Or would this be claimed against the driver of the other vehicle?

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - bathtub tom

As the person in control of the vehicle, I suspect it's the driver's responsibility.

Mercedes taxi - Uber accident - Andrew-T

As the person in control of the vehicle, I suspect it's the driver's responsibility.

Yes. But it sounds as though primary blame lies with the person carelessly opening the door, rather less with the driver of the approaching car, and none at all with the Uber driver. Sadly that isn't the way insurance works - luckily (perhaps) for the OP.

Good job the door wasn't opened into the path of a passing cyclist ....