Quality? - UK Holidays - _

Are we being difficult in expecting UK four star hotels to have better standards than the two national budget chains?

We went to stay a few days in a dog firendly hotel, very poor, and checked out after the first night. we moved to a budget chain, dog friendly and it was way better.

Quality? - UK Holidays - FP

Stars represent facilities, not quality of service, is how I understand it, though perhaps one might assume that the more one pays, the better the service ought to be.

Nearly all of our hotel stays over recent years have been in Travelodge (basic, but clean and cheap and a comfy bed guaranteed) and occasionally Premier Inn (better in all respects than TL, a little more expensive).

A three-star hotel we used a lot when we used to visit Cornwall regularly was very good in all respects, but was pricey, so we thought - but that's Cornwall for you.

Edited by FP on 16/01/2022 at 09:44

Quality? - UK Holidays - daveyjp

At the current time with severe issues with staffing I would prefer a lower star hotel as my expectations won't be as high,

I have been looking at reviews of a 5 star hotel we have been to 7/8 times between 2010 to 2016. I had booked it for last summer for a special occasion, but it was cancelled and they sent a voucher for a new stay.

The reviews have been terrible. Most complaints are due to cleanliness and poor service, yet they are charging upwards of £300 a night B&B.

I'd happily book a £70 a night Hampton instead,

Quality? - UK Holidays - thunderbird

The Hotel adjacent to our Lodge site is 4 star. In the 80's Stakis, then Hilton and about 5 years ago so to another company. Now they have terrible reviews and a bad reputation in the community.

In April 2020 during the first Covid lockdown staff were laid off and those still living on site were told to leave site that day, no exceptions. Most of those people were EU nationals and mid Covid Lockdowns it was not easy (or possibly even impossible) for them to arrange the trip home. Fortunately other local Hotels put them up (they had plenty of space) whilst they arranged a way to get home, without that help many would have been sleeping rough. Local press, MP's etc got involved but the Hotel did nothing.

Shortly after the builder moved in and turned the staff accommodation into more accommodation for paying guest, obvious they had a plan and used the lockdown as a way of reducing staff for free. Now the current staff are living in old caravans adjacent to the hotel and I have heard local landowners are in a legal dispute with the Hotel since some of those caravans are not on Hotel land.

No wonder the reviews about the hotel and staff have plummeted, how would you like to live in an old caravan whilst pay guests are forking out a fortune.

In our case, there were staff ...2 at recption , one in the bar and waiting staff in the restaurant.

Rooms.. not cleaned properly, bathroom with mould around the edges of the bath..

Quality? - UK Holidays - Engineer Andy

What lovely places you and TB are describing. Make sure you give them the rating they deserve on Trip Advisor or similar.

If I recall, to get to be a 4 star' establishment, the gues rooms have to at least have A/C. That doesn't mean it is any a decent state of repair, though. As others have said, many 2 and 3 star establishments are far better because they have lower maintenance/running costs because they have far less (supposedly) fancy extra facilities, but pay more attention to getting the basics right.

I've stayed (for work) in a couple of Travelodges and found them to be fine despite them being amongst the cheapest per night.

I'll be going on holiday to my 'normal' (not been for 3 years due to the Coof) holiday place in Cornwall in the summer, so it'll be interesting to see whether things have changed in terms of the cleanliness, state, etc of the lodges.

I was lucky with the price (they now vary considerably day-by-day, as per foreign holidays, cruise ship holidays and flights [they never used to - just one price as per the table in the booklet/website and a 5-20% discount for booking early]) - paying nearly half as much as it is costing at the moment and roughly equivalent to what I used to pay pre-pandemic. Prices have gone up a LOT in that time.

Quality? - UK Holidays - groaver

Now the current staff are living in old caravans adjacent to the hotel and I have heard local landowners are in a legal dispute with the Hotel since some of those caravans are not on Hotel land.

That is legally a caravan site which the local authority in the area it is based, should look at with a view to licensing.

Quality? - UK Holidays - concrete

Unfortunately the old adage rings true

"There is no relation between what you pay and the value you receive" so basically that promotes the big chains like TL and PI where expectations are modest but often surprisingly easy to access and are good value. I used them for work for years and a few private places I found and found them great. But did get caught out sometimes and had to endure the odd night in a ' dog kennel' of a place. Always worth asking before your planned trip. Someone will nearly always have been there, done that.

Cheers Concrete

Quality? - UK Holidays - Engineer Andy

Unfortunately the old adage rings true

"There is no relation between what you pay and the value you receive" so basically that promotes the big chains like TL and PI where expectations are modest but often surprisingly easy to access and are good value. I used them for work for years and a few private places I found and found them great. But did get caught out sometimes and had to endure the odd night in a ' dog kennel' of a place. Always worth asking before your planned trip. Someone will nearly always have been there, done that.

Cheers Concrete

The fake reviews that have made it more difficult to know whether (say) a garage is decent or not has made it to travel reviews, primarily because more and more people leave short reviews which don't really say much.

I've found that for places I've stayed at, some people don't bother to read the website blurb about the place they're staying at and then complain that its 'in the middle of nowhere' or has the wrong type / too few facilities.

I think also that some people expect everything to be upmarket, whatever the price or facilities offered. Some times in the past, people who visit the holiday place I often go to complain about the lack of on-site facilities (not loos), but conveniently forget it has a 9-hole golf course that they can use FOC at any time, which requires on-site staff and equipment to maintain.

Well Well.

We managed to get away to an alleged 4* hotel last week on the Solent.

Reception gave us a standard room instead of the superior room we had booked, (you can't have a superior room with a dog!)... But I phoned before and was told I would be allocated one.

That over with, the room was impeccable, bathroom looked like it had just been finished, and the room, although what I would call compact, was fine.

Staff everywhere were helpful, was given 2 lots of drinks vouchers to apologize for the "error" and then a really nice bottle of wine with a thank you card.

The dog was fed treats by the bar staff, and swmbo was able to enjoy the gym and Spa.

Breakfast was entirely acceptable, and lots of walks along the beach.

I'll wake up shortly, must be dreaming.