Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Gary Rodgers

Hi all, I have no idea why this suddenly started, but I have an issue with my rear offside door and my boot:

Rear door - Just won't unlock / open from either inside or outside. The keyfob doesn't unlock it either.

Boot door - Used to unlock with the fob with all other doors, now doesn't. Will only unlock by long pressing the boot button on the fob.

Very strange, as everything was fine, then went to put something in the boot and discovered the issue(s).

Any advice much appreciated

Edited by Gary Rodgers on 01/01/2022 at 17:19

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Not convinced the 2 faults are related . The door latch actuator could be faulty (not uncommon on these) . The rear hatch may be a wiring fault into the tailgate , or the “open “ push button may be in trouble .
Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Debby Richardson

Hi Gary

Did you solve this? I got exactly the same issue with rear passenger door and boot lock. Both happened today so surely must be connected. I'm wondering if, because the passenger door isn't unlocking it's not sending the right signal to the boot. But how do I open the passenger door ?

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - AlanxB

Hi Debby, Gary, everyone.

I have the same issue today. Previously no problem with central locking. But today the rear offside (R/O) door will not open with the rest of the doors. Not on the key fob, not on the physical key and not the central locking button on the dash. Same time the boot stopped opening apart from on a long hold on the key fob boot button.

The R/O door tries to work. I have read there are two relays in each door, lock & unlock and they both make a noise, but unlock doesn't happen, I have read on other blogs to use the physical level inside at the same time as the fob to give it more uumph and the actuator might trigger. So far after maybe 100 tries nothing changes. I have tried gently-ish banging the door with my hand where the lock is at the same time to try and jiggle it. Didn't help. I have taken the lever surround off and tried to pull on the wire (you get to see 1-2 mm) with another piece of wire I looped around it, little bit fiddly, but didn't help. Don't want to go too far in case of causing other problems. So can't open the door to get inside it to take a better look.

Anyone been here and found a fix? How is the boot linked to the R/O door must be a clue. Unlikely for 2 problems to start at the same time and not be related?

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Andrew-T

Replacing the lock on the offending door may solve the problem - it did on my Pug 207SW. Ask your friendly local bodyshop, he may find a used one on E-bay, it'll be a lot cheaper than new.

Thanks. I would be happy to do that, but how to get the door open in the first place is the initial problem. Do you know how they did that please?

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - elekie&a/c doctor
If the door can’t be opened from inside or outside, then it’s probably failed in the lock position. The door card will need to be removed ( tricky with the door shut) then the lock/ latch unit will need to be destroyed to get the door open. I believe new lock units are not cheap , around £300 , from memory.
I believe new lock units are not cheap , around £300 , from memory.

A new lock for my Pug would have cost about that, but a used one only about £30 - but of course without warranty. All OK so far. The problem with my door was that it would not latch, not that it would not open. But Simon in my local bodyshop knows a few tricks I think.

To fix this I had to destroy the outer door card with a multitool in order to remove it. Then I could get to the inner panel which also has to be removed. I searched you tube and found this youtu.be/SeXrMsyM4oU incredibly useful, not the same and of course as my door was locked shut but successfully removed the inner panel using all the clues from that video. Then I had to destroy the lock bit by bit until I could get to release the lock from inside the door skin. Then the lock can be removed, what was left of it. The problem with mine was that some of the internal plastic mechanism had failed, nothing to do with cables, motors (which both worked fine on the bench afterwards). See the photo showing how far the lock had to be destroyed. I used an endoscope connected to my phone to see inside the door. I also stripped down the opposite door, which was working, as far as I needed to make sure I didn't damage anything else. I sourced a second hand door lock and outer card from ebay for <£90. All went back perfectly, Not difficult once you get your head around being that destructive. I kept everything not being sure what the second hand parts might be missing (they were both 100% as it happened). Hyundai garage weren't very keen to take it on and wouldn't give a quote. Spoke to someone else who paid >£1000 in labour. Once this door lock was fixed the boot worked again. Not sure how they are connected but they definitely appear to be. I have included photos of what was left of the lock, an arrow showing where I had to use a screwdriver to open it from the inside, the destroyed door skin and the new skin (to help identify where to and where not to attack it. Good Luck.

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - chris thorngate

Hello mate, I have exactly the same problem. Plan to do what you've done, doesn't sound much fun. I can't see the photo's that you mention ? Am I missing something? Cheers Chris

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Louis Dabundo
Hi AlanxB

I’ve got exactly the same problem with my partners i30, door in the locked position and sounds like your pictures would be very helpful.

Have you attached them here at all please.
Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Chris_D

Hi all, I have the same issues now with three doors on my 2016 Tucson. My rear passenger doors both couldn't be opened from the inside, and one from outside for a time, and now the driver's door cannot be opened from the outside of the car. I've written to Hyundai to ask why the actuators/motors are failing and they say they are aware of no issues at all. Despite issuing recalls and extending warranties for the exact same issue in the US. I'm very interested to know whether anyone else has raised these issues with Hyundai UK. They say no one has and they are not aware of any issues anywhere. It's very poor service.

I'm also interested in getting those affected together to highlight these issues much further, if anyone is interested.

It's clearly a huge safety issue if the doors can't be opened.

They say no one has and they are not aware of any issues anywhere. It's very poor service. It's clearly a huge safety issue if the doors can't be opened.

It's more than a safety issue, as it probably means a MoT failure. It also sounds as if Hyundai are following Russian practice - deny until you are blue in the face, everyone knows you are lying and you know they know.

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/03/2023 at 17:40

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Wendi
Hi all my i30 has the exact same issue . The drivers side rear door will not open from outside or inside and the boot is not opening either so really strange . Rac garage quoted me £1ooo to fix ! I said no way .. I’m taking car to my mechanic sat see if he can sort it hopefully I just get a door lock from E bay I dk .. but must be a fault on them ! X
Both issues happened to same day . So must be linked somehow .
Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - Liz T

Door Lock

I have a 2015 Tucson. I now have to pull the drivers door handle 3 times before it opens. Hyundai USA have extended the warranty to 10 years

in respect of the actuators of certain vehicles produced in 2015/2016 but Hyundai Europe/UK refusing to acknowledge there's an issue.

My car will fail its next MOT and the average cost to repair this fault is around £450. I'm going to trawl the web looking for examples of failed locks and take screenshots so I can

try to put pressure on the dealer I bought mine from, does anyone object to me using their post here as anecdotal evidence?

Thank you ??

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - _

Find an independent garage to do the job . It will cost less. But you can't expect good will after 8 years.

Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - BBB95
Hi, just wondering if you got anywhere with this as I have exactly the same problem on my 66 plate i30 and my MOT is coming up very soon
Hyundai i30 2015 - i30 Door and boot issue - galileo
Hi, just wondering if you got anywhere with this as I have exactly the same problem on my 66 plate i30 and my MOT is coming up very soon

Left rear door on my 2009 i30 developed an intermittent actuator fault, sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

Once it let me open the door I took the door card off and managed to reach the connector to the actuator behind the inner panel and disconnected it so the door now has to be locked/unlocked manually using the button above the inner handle.

I don't often need to use that door so it is not a problem to leave it locked, I must have had 30 cars before remote locking was common.