Printer - MGspannerman

I am thinking about buying a printer for my daughter and her family for use in the new extension they have built. At one time an easy decision - a Canon MG5750. I bought one some years ago for around £50-60 and it worked well for a good period of time until it threw a print head fault. Not uncommon with them apparently. They are still, patchily, available but prices have shot up.

I replaced it with a Canon TS8250 bought on the basis of photographic print quality, big mistake. Replacement cartridge sets, even generic ones, are around the £40 mark for a set. My A3 Pixma IP8750 takes cheap replacement cartridges, around £10-15 a set, and produces excellent results. it is possible to buy a CISS (continuous ink supply system) fro the TS8250 but whilst economic to do so is a bit of a an untidy afterthought solution and good money after bad as I see it. Hence the TS8250 is now just an expensive scanner/copier.

I am having trouble finding a printer that offers - multifunction - print/copy/scan; A4 size; separate ink cartridges (magenta, cyan, yellow, black and possibly photo black); cheap generic replacement cartridges. Things like wi-fi are a bonus but not required.

I have used Canon for years as Epson heads are said to be prone to blocking and virtually impossible to restore although print quality is great. Print volume will be low to average with no need for the tank based supply solutions that are out there, replaceable cartridges are fine. I would welcome any suggestions, whether Canon or other brands that will meet the need.

Many thanks

Printer - movilogo

After going thru few inkjet printers over the years, I have now settled on laser printer. My current laser printer is monochrome and cost me less than £100 to buy. The official toners are £60 but compatible toner is available for £25. Compatible toner works fine.

If you print mostly in monochrome than laser printer is no brainer.

If you print colours frequently, then you may look for multifunctional laser printer but that will be on pricey side.

Printer - halie

I have been using monochrome printer in my office. it has satisfactory results.

Printer - alan1302

I have used Canon for years as Epson heads are said to be prone to blocking and virtually impossible to restore although print quality is great. Print volume will be low to average with no need for the tank based supply solutions that are out there, replaceable cartridges are fine. I would welcome any suggestions, whether Canon or other brands that will meet the need.

I'd not want to go back to replacing cartridges since getting an Epson EcoTank - even for light users it's good as the ink will last and last...we are still on the original set and have had it a couple of years now.

Printer - Palcouk

I've never used Canon as I didn't like there paper loading (on the ones I saw) Had HP models for many years with few problems, When the last HP failed after some years I then purchased an Epson, whilst Epson inks were fine (4x cartridges as I recall) they were expensive and the compatible ones did not produce good quality.

Generally I print in b/w and an occasional Picture

So I purchased an HP with instant ink, as I print less than 50 pages a month its only £1.99/month for HP ink (Epson do the same thing with ink)

Purchased Jan 21 £75.00 Multi function, just doesn't have a scanner paper feeder

When I was buying my own HP cartridges or compatible it was generally about 1 set/year

Edited by Palcouk on 01/12/2021 at 17:15

Printer - Engineer Andy

I've found that the cheapo printers are the worst value, as they often come with combined CMY cartridges and they and the black ink doesn't last that long, even worse for rarely used printers because they often use ink on the startup printhead test or when you carry out a test on a blank sheet if it hasn't been used for a good while.

I've got a MF printer (Canon MAXIFY MB5350*) with the 4 separate cartridges and XL ones at that (the OEMS were of the short filled type as usual and last a very short time). The price of them was (Amazon, 2019) £65. Not cheap, but should last a decent time if they don't dry out.

Good print quality and has all those functions you spoke of plus a photocopier/scanner with an ADF so I don't have to keep turning double-sided documents over to copy/scan them. I never looked at getting generic ink cartridge replacements though. My local stationer sold the Canon ones for £90+ for the set.

I bought it in 2017 - not cheap at (on offer then in Office World) £170. I too remember at work all the best inkjet printers being Canons with separate cartidges.

Unfortunately, prices of replacement ink is always extortionate, often more than the cost of many printers at the budget end of the market (I originally bought an HP flatbed multifunction printer/scanner with 2 cartidges when I bought my PC back in 2011 - it was a waste of time as it was unreliable and the ink never lasted, often going dry).

Thus far, the Canon one has done much better. The downside for me is that printing is slow (it takes an age to process, especially the first print - actual printing iteself is quick). The problem is always what to do when (like you and now me [I used to use mine a LOT before I jacked in my career]) usage is likely yo be low, but you want decent quality prints and a MFD.

* obviously there is a new version available, but likely at vastly inflated prices due to the pandemic chip shortage and logistical issues. I don't envy your choice under the circumstances! Best of luck.

Printer - bathtub tom

I got a Canon MG2550S a few years ago. Cheap IIRC. I did so little colour printing, I no longer bother to replace the colour cartridge. I found that cartridges can be re-filled by myself (messy but do-able) and I've now had a bottle of black ink for a couple of years. I've found I can re-fill a cartridge several times before it packs up.

Printer - MGspannerman

Thanks for the feedback everybody. This is proving more of a challenge than I had envisaged. There is not much available at less than £100 with the features i am looking for. I certainly don't want twin cartridges, black and colour, as I can imagine how much ink might be wasted hence the separate cartridge requirement.

Unfortunately a laser printer, excellent pieces of kit, wont fit the bill as colour is required for school homework, the odd photo etc. I am not intending to spend a fortune as I can envisage ti will have, shall we say, an unsympathetic lifestyle. An ink subscription solution is unlikely to work either as use will be lumpy depending on demand from the various family members. I have looked at several cheaper printer such as some of the HPs but reading the reviews is not inspiring and lack of separate ink tanks is not helpful.

I have just been looking at the Canon TS6350, it has the features I am looking for and replacement inks (I use Stinkyink, who guarantee that their carts will work) are sensibly priced. I was surprised to see that the MG5750, known for good photo quality, that I have used previously now seems pretty unavailable and even when it is the price has pretty much doubled - £100+. The search continues!

Printer - MGspannerman

Ah BT Tom, a man after my own heart. I had a large A3 Canon photo printer with eight inks I think it was. It had a replacement set of refillable cartridges and I had a set of ink bottles (125ml) and eight hypodermics to fill them with. It was a real swine to get set up for printing what with head cleaning, calibrating and setting ICC profiles for different qualities of photo paper. Happy days until the print head expired and a £400+ printer met its end.

Printer - daveyjp

When my daughter was being taught at home last year we needed a printer and I paid £90 for an HP 150nw colour laser.

Despite initial reservations that for the price it can't be that good it has been excellent. Earlier this year my wife's office printer died and it was used by 15 staff every day for about a week.

The downsides are the official toners are about £40 each and there are four (I'm sure there are third party options), but they do last a long time, and the same printer is now almost £200.

Printer - MGspannerman

Thanks for the suggestion, a laser printer has its attractions. having looked at this the price of the HP 150nw has shot up to £150+ and it comes with just a starter pack of toner, generic toner supplies are around £100 a set and OEM £160 or so. Combined with which it doesn't have a conventional on board scanner, so sadly and taking cost into account doesn't quite make the grade, but thanks anyway.

Printer - Ethan Edwards

I use a HP printer/scan/ copier/ fax but it's mono not colour. Tbh if I need colour (or A3) I email it to myself at work and print it there.

Printer - thunderbird

Bought a Canon MG5750 when they first came onto the market to replace a long living and excellent Canon printer. Unfortunately the printhead on the MG5750 failed soon after purchase but Currys/PC World simply replaced the printer there and then. That one has been fine but don't want to upset it.

If I replaced it today I would be very tempted by a Canon G650 Ink tank printer. Not cheap initially but the running costs look low when you consider a set of 5 XL cartridges for the MG5750 cost about £70.

But one thing I have found is never buy cheap cartridges. Bought a pair for a HP printer some years ago and it died soon after. The first Canon I had needed a cartridge and the only one I could get locally was a cheap one and yet again the printer died soon after. May be just bad luck but 2 cheap cartridges killing 2 printers seems like a coincidence to me.

Printer - MGspannerman

Yes, the MG5750 is/was a fine machine. Mine too died with the printhead. When you get the death message popping up on the screen there is no way back. I tried a Youtube video that said how to fix the problem. The guy carried it out into the garden and set it down. The next shot was a large sledgehammer pounding it to pieces. I did manage to clean the printhead out and get it going for a while but it was never the same. it di me well for some years though. I will check out the G650, thanks for the tip.

Printer - Engineer Andy

Yes, the MG5750 is/was a fine machine. Mine too died with the printhead. When you get the death message popping up on the screen there is no way back. I tried a Youtube video that said how to fix the problem. The guy carried it out into the garden and set it down. The next shot was a large sledgehammer pounding it to pieces. I did manage to clean the printhead out and get it going for a while but it was never the same. it di me well for some years though. I will check out the G650, thanks for the tip.

Indeed - the person who designs a printhead system that doesn't clog up/dry out and can be easily and cheaply repaired (preferably by the owner) will make themselves a large fortune.

I remember back in the day (late 90s) when I was a CAD operative working for THE most stingy boss - we were forced to use both sides of the (manual sheet feed - no rolls) plotter paper for check prints (some were so old they looked and felt like papyrus and got caught in the machine [a complete waste of our time to fix]) and had to empty (rather than just bin and replace) the used toner cartridges into black plastic sacks. Great for the lungs.

Back then a callout for the repair guy cost £150 minimum.

Printer - MGspannerman

OK, decision made. This morning I bought an Epson XP4155. A multifunction A4 partner with four separate ink cartridges. The printer has both USB and wifi connection and cost £65. Replacement generic cartridges from my preferred supplier are £22.99 a set, and OEMs a surprisingly reasonable £35.69. Nice, hall footprint but not suitable for heavy use.

The tank type machines that would have suited are around the £200 mark, but in view of the propensity for printheads to clog and the potential for abuse this one might receive I decided that I could buy two of there Epson for the price of one tank model.

I had considered a range of machines that I found online but the problem is that stock is very variable and whilst some were suitable, they were not available, eg Canon TS705, and sometimes with no indication of availability. So I toured a few outlets and ended up being this at Tescos.

I am a little sceptical of the ability of Epson printheads to remain unclogged but time will tell and there are possible fixes on Youtube if things go wrong.

Printer - Engineer Andy

OK, decision made. This morning I bought an Epson XP4155. A multifunction A4 partner with four separate ink cartridges. The printer has both USB and wifi connection and cost £65. Replacement generic cartridges from my preferred supplier are £22.99 a set, and OEMs a surprisingly reasonable £35.69. Nice, hall footprint but not suitable for heavy use.

The tank type machines that would have suited are around the £200 mark, but in view of the propensity for printheads to clog and the potential for abuse this one might receive I decided that I could buy two of there Epson for the price of one tank model.

I had considered a range of machines that I found online but the problem is that stock is very variable and whilst some were suitable, they were not available, eg Canon TS705, and sometimes with no indication of availability. So I toured a few outlets and ended up being this at Tescos.

I am a little sceptical of the ability of Epson printheads to remain unclogged but time will tell and there are possible fixes on Youtube if things go wrong.

I hope it works out well for you - TBH the main reason I shelled out so much for mine was because of the ADF/double-sided photocopier usage, which, at the time, was very important as I was scanning a LOT of old paperwork to pdf as part of a big Spring clean and tidyup.

I probably would've gone for something around your price range had I not needed that specific function and relied on something similar to my old HP unit, just with seperate ink cartridges for each colour. It's a shame that due to the coof-borne logistical and computer chip issues that stock availability and prices are not as they were a couple of years ago.

Let us know how you get on - trying to discern truth from fiction in product and company reviews these days is getting harder and harder, so knowing (to enough of a degree to trust them) the reviewer can make a big difference to know that it's impartial.

Printer - focussed

"I am a little sceptical of the ability of Epson printheads to remain unclogged but time will tell and there are possible fixes on Youtube if things go wrong"

We have been running an Epson XP610 printer/scanner/copier for about ten years, it uses generic cartridges which are cheap as chips and the print head has never clogged in all that time - we just run it's own cleaning cycle when replacing cartridges.

Printer - MGspannerman

Good to know, thank you. I perhaps should have added "... in the hands of my grandchildren" . I too have used generic carts for some years now with no problems at all.

Printer - Engineer Andy

Good to know, thank you. I perhaps should have added "... in the hands of my grandchildren" . I too have used generic carts for some years now with no problems at all.

I find that much of the problems associated with printers and ink (and to a lesser extent, toner) comes from how they are configured (mutli-colour tanks bad, individual ones far better) and used (low usage far worse than high usage as print heads/cartridges dry up or clog). Multi-function units are obviously a lot more complex and thus far more to go wrong.

Quoting Scotty from Star Trek III: "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my MFD printer!

Printer - Bolt

"I am a little sceptical of the ability of Epson printheads to remain unclogged but time will tell and there are possible fixes on Youtube if things go wrong"

Never had an Epson that didn`t clog up, after having 3 workforce aio I gave them up as a bad machine, though some complained if you don`t switch them off they will clog,

but never had that with Canon, at the moment I run an TS9551c which is one of the best I have had, its always on but the ink prices are a lot more than I used to pay at around £60+ a set, but for photos its best to stick to Canon as the cheapos fade very quick, where as the original inks last for years on photo paper

Printer - MGspannerman

Would you believe it my Canon IP8750 started jamming the paper. It seemed to pull the paper in on one side more than the other and resulting in a jam. Printing off some photos I had to feed the paper in sheet by sheet holding it firmly to get it as square as possible before it disappeared into the innards.

Google and Youtube provided various solutions along the lines of cleaning the rollers. Unfortunately access is very limited and there are very few screws etc enabling disassembly. After hours of frustration trying various fixes I decided I needed to somehow get the plastic outers off to access the rollers. I was turning the printer this way and that and on its side as well trying to pry off one of the covers when I noticed a short pin with a spherical white top lodged in the rear paper input. Just like the ones on my pinboard that is on the wall above this particular printer.

One of the fixes was a suggestion to turn it upside down and give it a shake as paperclips etc can often be dropped inside. That was one fix i didn't try, but it now works perfectly.

Printer - Engineer Andy

D'Oh!

The pinch rollers problem is a very common fault with heavily-used printers - I remember nigh on 20 years ago at work having to clean those on our HP B&W laser printer quite a bit.

Printer - Bolt

Would you believe it my Canon IP8750 started jamming the paper. It seemed to pull the paper in on one side more than the other and resulting in a jam. Printing off some photos I had to feed the paper in sheet by sheet holding it firmly to get it as square as possible before it disappeared into the innards.

Google and Youtube provided various solutions along the lines of cleaning the rollers. Unfortunately access is very limited and there are very few screws etc enabling disassembly. After hours of frustration trying various fixes I decided I needed to somehow get the plastic outers off to access the rollers. I was turning the printer this way and that and on its side as well trying to pry off one of the covers when I noticed a short pin with a spherical white top lodged in the rear paper input. Just like the ones on my pinboard that is on the wall above this particular printer.

One of the fixes was a suggestion to turn it upside down and give it a shake as paperclips etc can often be dropped inside. That was one fix i didn't try, but it now works perfectly.

I had one for about 2 years and couldn`t fault it, but as its usage dropped, House full of Photos and posters (family into football- Not me though can`t stand it) lol, but did loads of prints for others with it- but as requests died off, didn`t need it so gave it away, still going strong last I see it

But wouldn`t go back to Epson at least Canon are easy to sort problems out with imo...