Energy Markets - sammy1

It is becoming increasing obvious that the average household consumer( me included) has little understanding of the lottery of buying energy from the vast number of companies set up to sell you it. With the current unstable market particularly in gas many smaller firms which customers have signed up to face collapse with the customer facing bigger bills being moved to a more stable supplier ""forced"" to take them on.

Of further interest to those reading this my current supplier's gas bill is detailing things like"" volume correction"" which apparently corrects for volume of gas which varies on temperature and pressure and ""calorific value"" which is the energy content which also varies throughout the year. So I am left with a bill detailing different factors some with six decimal places before they come up with the Kwh they are charging. All this presumably went on in the background of bills from previous suppliers as I have not noticed them before, So you give the supplier the meter reading and they work out the Kwh which is variable?

I think I will just be content to pay the bill.. I remember when there was just one local gas company and a similar electricity one so just how is the consumer better off??

Energy Markets - bathtub tom

so just how is the consumer better off??

Personally, I was paying less than the main suppliers were quoting for the past few years, until my supplier went bust last week.

Energy Markets - Bromptonaut

Of further interest to those reading this my current supplier's gas bill is detailing things like"" volume correction"" which apparently corrects for volume of gas which varies on temperature and pressure and ""calorific value"" which is the energy content which also varies throughout the year. So I am left with a bill detailing different factors some with six decimal places before they come up with the Kwh they are charging. All this presumably went on in the background of bills from previous suppliers as I have not noticed them before, So you give the supplier the meter reading and they work out the Kwh which is variable?

I don't think the conversion from cubic metres (or feet) to KW/h is anything new. Is the margin for the calorific value or the volume conversion actually significant per cubic metre consumed?

Even going back to when billing was in British Thermal Units there was a similar conversion.

Energy Markets - daveyjp

As a natural product gas out of the groud cannot be manufactured to standard so it has to be tested for calorific value and volume. This ensures you are paying for the amount of energy it provides.

The calculation from cubic metres (or cubic feet for older meters) to kWh has been on bills for as long as I can remember.

Energy Markets - Ethan Edwards

I'm on my second bust supplier. Just been advised that B Gas has taken me on. Once the dust settles they can go hang, bunch of i****s. Luckily I'm signed up to a swap service so changing supplier isn't just painless but almost unnoticeable for me. My suspicion is that a eight legged marine lifeform will feature in my next provider. About to use a lot more night time power with my EV which picking up tomorrow afternoon. So I'm done with buying petrol now.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 21/09/2021 at 21:43

Energy Markets - Lee Power

My suspicion is that a eight legged marine lifeform will feature in my next provider. About to use a lot more night time power with my EV which picking up tomorrow afternoon. So I'm done with buying petrol now.

Good choice, the previous energy supplier I was with got bought out by another energy company & eventually we ended up as Octopus customers.

Energy Markets - galileo

I have been very happy with Octopus but yesterday had an email from them proposing to replace my gas meter with a 'smart' one. They say it needs to be replaced as it is 20 years old, (this may be the recommended life for a meter, but the first I've heard of it, having lived in much older houses).

They say it has to be a 'smart' meter as the other type are hard to find, more likely they are trying to meet the Government's target for percentage of 'smart' installations.

I have replied saying I really do not want a 'smart' meter, they must be replacing hundreds of conventional meters with smart ones, scores of these will be serviceable, less than 20 years old, it would be sensible to re-use these for customers happy to have them.

I await their response and will post it for interest.

Energy Markets - sammy1

Less than 2 months with Avro and reading this afternoon that they have gone bust along with Green with more to follow. Needs some sort of enquiry when this is all over. Government approved this crazy system and now it looks like we will shortly be back to a few suppliers. As for me I do not know where I will end up as there appears nowhere to go!

Energy Markets - alan1302

Needs some sort of enquiry when this is all over. Government approved this crazy system and now it looks like we will shortly be back to a few suppliers. As for me I do not know where I will end up as there appears nowhere to go!

You answered the question yourself - you will go with one of the few suppliers that are left.

Energy Markets - daveyjp

Its very similar to bank bailout mk2. All these companies, just like banks, are fine when there are no sudden changes in their business cost or customer behaviour.

Its like people in financial trouble using credit cards to pay credit cards and then use their wage to pay minimum balance. All is well until the wage stops.

Avro in particular appear to have been a very cleverly run company, remaining legal (arguably only just), but morally bankrupt.

Ofgem were onto them about them, but Ofgem can't do anything quickly. The directors therefore had plenty of time to feather their nests before in inevitable.

Energy Markets - Bromptonaut

Less than 2 months with Avro and reading this afternoon that they have gone bust along with Green with more to follow. Needs some sort of enquiry when this is all over. Government approved this crazy system and now it looks like we will shortly be back to a few suppliers. As for me I do not know where I will end up as there appears nowhere to go!

We had a 'big 6' set of suppliers mostly derivatives of the old Electricity Boards. They were perceived, rightly or wrongly, as a cartel. Ofgem eased the bars to the market so as to encourage competition.

Smaller suppliers offered cheaper bills and gambled on their being able to purchase supplies with sufficient margin to profit. Those that had the resources used hedging or other deals to cover a situation where surges in the market upset their calculations.

Prices for supply fuels have gone off scale and companies without sufficient capital have gone to the wall.

Capitalism red in tooth and claw.

Energy Markets - Clk GD

I have been very happy with Octopus but yesterday had an email from them proposing to replace my gas meter with a 'smart' one. They say it needs to be replaced as it is 20 years old, (this may be the recommended life for a meter, but the first I've heard of it, having lived in much older houses

I had a similar email from them several weeks ago and have not responded. Like you, I don't want a smart meter.

Energy Markets - Ethan Edwards

Yep I do have Smart meter but one of the later series 2 ones. My previous but one energy suppliers insisted. So far no issues because of it.

Energy Markets - sammy1

Hardly a free market, your supplier goes bust and Ofgem tell you who will take over your supply. I know you can leave them if you are unhappy and so you choose another who may go bust. How does the consumer know which supplier is safe, a right merrygoround.. I would like to know how the energy companies can claim to be supplying so called 100% green energy when it all goes down the same pipes and wires.

Hardly a free market, your supplier goes bust and Ofgem tell you who will take over your supply. I know you can leave them if you are unhappy and so you choose another who may go bust. How does the consumer know which supplier is safe, a right merrygoround.. I would like to know how the energy companies can claim to be supplying so called 100% green energy when it all goes down the same pipes and wires.

If your energy supplier suddenly goes out of business how would you deal with the issue then? Would you expect them to take time to give you a load of options and for it to take weeks? Seems how it works now is simple and easy and as you say if you are not happy then you can move anyway so why make it anymore more complicated?

You pay more for the green energy so pay more for your electricity to encourage more companies to invest in greener generation and they know what electricty they are buying as they have contracts in place with the suppliers. Obviosuly the electricity that comes into your house could have been generated ina multitude of different ways.

Energy Markets - daveyjp

Any collapse now will mean millions of customers are moved to a new supplier and the only option for them is to put them on the capped rate as there are no better offers.

The current capped rate is below the cost to provide the energy. As most other customers are on fixed rates, which may not yet have run out, this also costs the companies money (I signed up to a two year fix a few weeks ago and its looking a bargain, but only if EDF remain solvent).

Government therefore have three options. Increase the cap, cover the shortfall between cap and actual price, nationalise the industry.

Energy Markets - Xileno

Back in July I fixed with BG for a year so am quite happy for now. I think if BG go bust then they're all in trouble!

Energy Markets - nick62

if BG go bust then they're all in trouble!

The government will nationalise the debt, twas ever thus, we're all being mugged.

Energy Markets - madf

I looked at Octopus Energy recent accounts.

I avoid like the plague.

Am with EDF - 3 year deal.

Energy Markets - madf

Worth listening to

Martin Lewis

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09wrl6f

Energy Markets - glidermania

I worked in the North East for a supplier on the Electricity Market De regulation in 1998 plus other gas and electricity projects. The freeing up of the market so consumers could 'get' their leccie from any supplier was a good one and initially brought about price competition.

But a couple of things happened, the big suppliers started buying up competition and OFGEM set the market entry criteria too low so just about anyone with about 50 grand (or less!) could set up as a supplier.

A few cowboys entered the market and made a nice return before either being bought up of going bankrupt.

All these smaller suppliers are just middle men buying energy at one price and selling at a hopefully higher price. They dont forward buy gas like the bigger suppliers and A.C. leccie is generated on demand as it is virtually impossible to store for the grid.

Anyway, as an ex Avro customer, Ive just been informed my account has been shifted to Octopus. That isnt going to stay that way as they're one of the woke mob.

Energy Markets - FP

"... they're one of the woke mob."

?

Energy Markets - focussed

"... they're one of the woke mob."

?

Go Woke - Go Broke.

Energy Markets - sammy1

Well the whole market is slowly unravelling and what was thought to be is now being contradicted as the price of energy continues to ramp up. Buying energy at X price per therm and selling at Y does no longer seem to work. I should have realised this as soon as Avro took my direct debit before they had started to ""supply"" me. And guess what all I have had so far from Octopus is send your reading and supply your direct debit details.. As the price of energy rises you have to question how some people are going to be able to afford this. The government meanwhile charges its 5%VAT

In the past I have questioned the so called green power station that is Drax and the oh so phrase of Biomass. Sounds good but when you realise that vast bulk carriers of wood pellets from Canada And the USA are shipped here and then carried by road to the power station. So having depleted a forest that is part of the ""lungs"" of the planet the Drax plant burns the pellets giving off more CO2 than an old coal fired one. All this by the way is being done by means of an £800million government subsidy in its endeavour to reduce our carbon output. Meanwhile the next ice age is probably just around the corner in the whole being of the Earth

and then carried by road to the power station.

Not true, they come via train like the coal did when they were burning that.

You don't believe that climate change is happening so why so bothered about what the Drax powerplant burns?

Energy Markets - sammy1

""and then carried by road to the power station"""

Eddie Stobart has a fleet of special trailers with a moving floor to carry biomass>

""You don't believe that climate change is happening so why so bothered about what the Drax powerplant burns? ""

Not true> Climate change has been happening over billions of years since the Earth was formed. Yes it is still happening now and will go on happening until our SUN eventually dies and humans can do sod all about it

The Drax power station with its very expensive subsidy only increases what we has consumers have to pay for our electric

Energy Markets - daveyjp

From what I've been hearing personal impact is tip of the iceberg.

When a single company which spends £40m a year on gas is predicting an increase to £100m this has the potential to be bigger than saving the banks in 2008.

As of today I have heard nothing about impact on public sector such as NHS, Councils and railways which have a combined utility bill of almost £1bn. If they see a 2.5x increase on the horizon thats a huge gap which needs filling.

""and then carried by road to the power station"""

Eddie Stobart has a fleet of special trailers with a moving floor to carry biomass>

""You don't believe that climate change is happening so why so bothered about what the Drax powerplant burns? ""

Not true> Climate change has been happening over billions of years since the Earth was formed. Yes it is still happening now and will go on happening until our SUN eventually dies and humans can do sod all about it

The Drax power station with its very expensive subsidy only increases what we has consumers have to pay for our electric

I know Eddie Sobart can deliver it but didn't know they had a contract with Drax for it - are you sure?

I should have been more specific - you don't think humans have an ffect on the climate. So why worry what Drax is burning - most fuels even oil have subsidies everywhere.

Energy Markets - sammy1

"""I know Eddie Sobart can deliver it but didn't know they had a contract with Drax for it - are you sure?"""

I did not mention anything about a contract

""" should have been more specific - you don't think humans have an ffect on the climate. So why worry what Drax is burning - most fuels even oil have subsidies everywhere.

Any effect Humans have on climate change is arguable. Yes year on year they are putting out more CO2.. Humans are the only species on Earth who are actively destroying their environment from the atmosphere to the land and the oceans. This is having a negative effect on everything else that lives from animals to plants and micro organisms. Only yesterday a study has revelled that the biodiversity in the UK has decreased to just over 50% of what it was where as the rest of the countries are around 75%. Humans in general will not change their ways it is all too obvious everywhere you look. Sure governments can change the output of power stations and vehicles but greater damage is being done almost everywhere you care to look and not necessarily effecting CO2 and climate

Energy Markets - sandy56

FYI My whole long career was in the O&G industry. The whole energy market is rigged by the government. We are facing regular significant increases over the next few years to cover the cost of the many new eco friendly wind turbines ( mainly foreign owned) a couple of new nuclear power stations ( foreign owned). These increases do not take into account the fact that gas has become very very expensve, with oil soon to follow, so the cost of UK energy is going to go very high. The O& G companies have cut back on new developmets world wide so the Mid East is now the big supplier to the world, with Russia and Norway . USA is now wholly independent for O&G due to their ongoing new developments within continental USA. We/UK are also facing power cuts because our old power stations are having to be shut down and we still do not have enough adequate new power available, other than wind power which is NOT reliable, as we have all discoved( even though government was advised by real experts not to rely on wind energy). We have millions of tones of coal availble to be mined in the UK, but we dont use it! (Unlike Germany, China, India, Russia, USA etc) Personally I have been with B Gas for many years. Every few years I check the market and at times have found a few alternative suppliers who appeared to be ~10% cheaper but I refused to change to some very new power company that was being run out of someones garden shed/office. Never made sense to me so I never changed. I have always found BG (for electricity and I dont get mains gas too rural,and use oil fired boiler for heating/ hot water) to be helpful and have no plans on changing anytime soon. For the future- I am getting a wood fired stove fitted, and am researching the use of a bunch of solar panels ( 6-8kw) with a smart battery pack but the cost is high (10k maybe more) and the payback time is approx a decade at current prices. However if the price rises dont slow down I might just go ahead with that plan, assuming the payback time drops to about 7 years. Goodnight and keep warm

Edited by sandy56 on 12/10/2021 at 20:30

Energy Markets - Falkirk Bairn

Energy companies produce energy and sell energy.

The dozens of new "Energy companies" are not really energy companies but gas and electricity invoicing companies.

The "Energy Invoicers" assumed a buy price, added admin cost, bad debt allowances and a profit margin they hope to make. They offered fixed prices to get customers, their buy price shot up, the business model was broken and they go bust.

Whilst I am sorry for people who have lost their jobs I do not feel too much sorrow for the "spreadsheet companies" that have gone bust.

I have BG electricity who increased the DD by 33% as of next month, I do not have gas.

Energy Markets - sammy1

Way back at the beginning of August Shell offered me a new fixed tariff which was some £500 increase on what I was paying gas and electric which is why I changed. In hindsight I reckon they knew what was coming!

How is the infrastructure paid for with all these companies selling particularly the ""invoicing" companies as FB so accurately describes them. It would appear that some are contributing more than others which does not seem quite right?

Energy Markets - Xileno

Two more energy companies go under (Pure Planet and Colorado Energy)

I'm glad I stuck with BG now. I wonder how many will be left by the New Year.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58903122

Energy Markets - daveyjp

CNG going is a far bigger concern.

Energy Markets - Xileno

Another one bites the dust. Daligas - never heard of them.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58909621

Energy Markets - sammy1

UPDATE ON AVRO

Well 2 months on from going bust I have still not had any acknowledgement from AVRO or Octopus as to where my final bill from Avro is or for that matter where my credit balance is. Octopus are today asking me to submit meter readings and say my balance with them is NIL

Since this fiasco started many more energy companies have gone to the wall and from what I am experiencing it must be sheer chaos in the energy sector.

Meanwhile after BULB hit the buffers we the tax payer are bailing the company out as it has over a million customers which is too many for any existing company to handle .

Bulb have been operating as I understand it with ALL customers on a standard tariff which is LOWER than the tariff that am forced to take with Octopus So in effect I am as a tax payer subsidising bulb customers as well as paying my own bills. How fair is that??

The whole energy business is unfair to the majority of domestic and is unsustainable pitting domestic customers against each other with hundreds of tariffs which need a computer programme to understand.

Energy Markets - bathtub tom
Well 2 months on from going bust I have still not had any acknowledgement from AVRO or Octopus as to where my final bill from Avro is or for that matter where my credit balance is.

I'm in the same position with Utility Point going under and being transferred to EDF. I cancelled my direct debit with Utility Point as soon as I heard they'd ceased trading, as I didn't want my money disappearing into a black hole. I spoke to EDF today (an Indian call centre) and tried to explain I've also bought another house, but I don't think they understood. Never mind, they may or may not catch up with me one day.

Bulb have been operating as I understand it with ALL customers on a standard tariff which is LOWER than the tariff that am forced to take with Octopus So in effect I am as a tax payer subsidising bulb customers as well as paying my own bills. How fair is that??

What would you suggest happens instead?

Energy Markets - sammy1

Well with hardly any energy suppliers left the system of shopping for the best tariff is bust. If anything the consumer is facing a monopoly from the few big players left. So the regulator needs to come up with something different to protect the domestic user. When the current round of fixed tariffs end and some consumers get their winter builds consumers will not be a happy bunch.

What ideas might you have?

Well with hardly any energy suppliers left the system of shopping for the best tariff is bust. If anything the consumer is facing a monopoly from the few big players left. So the regulator needs to come up with something different to protect the domestic user. When the current round of fixed tariffs end and some consumers get their winter builds consumers will not be a happy bunch.

What ideas might you have?

It all needs to come under government control, they get private companies to run the power stations/turbines etc and the rest the government deals with - it just does not work any other way.

Energy Markets - misar

The whole energy business is unfair to the majority of domestic and is unsustainable pitting domestic customers against each other with hundreds of tariffs which need a computer programme to understand.

Not half as unfair as my situation.

I avoided the whole charade knowing the bubble was sure to burst and I will still end up subsidising the lot of you.

Energy Markets - Xileno

Another one goes: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59488818

Energy Markets - sandy56

And then SHell abandon new developments in the UK North Sea due to the green zealots. Utter madness. Even those nice Norwegians and Danes are busy developing their O&G fields, Germans Indians Chinese, Russians, USA building coal fired power stations,.

Better look out for your candles and a cave to live in, and all the while the world is laughing at us.

Shell was told by Dutch court to reduce emissions.

Shell has sold West Texas oilfield to a US Company.

Headline Advertisement in 2022 - Shell cuts worldwide emissions - BIG Tick for Greenies

Business Page

US Company raises oil and gas production to reduce gas shortages and keep US homes warm.

It is a net zero transaction - nothing has really changed.

Energy Markets - sammy1

""""It is a net zero transaction - nothing has really changed.""

It is high time the British Gov. started standing up for the interests of this country. Trying to fly the flag for the greenies is against our long term interests. We are going to need oil and gas for many years to come and we should be doing all we can to exploit our reserves including fracking. Allowing Shell to pull out of developing in the North Sea is hardly in the interests of us who are paying high prices for imported fuels. Carbon Trading, just another smoke and mirrors and in the meantime China is running away with emissions.

Energy Markets - FP

"We are going to need oil and gas for many years to come and we should be doing all we can to exploit our reserves including fracking."

I take it you don't approve of drastically reducing carbon emissions and trying to reduce global warming.

Energy Markets - Engineer Andy

"We are going to need oil and gas for many years to come and we should be doing all we can to exploit our reserves including fracking."

I take it you don't approve of drastically reducing carbon emissions and trying to reduce global warming.

Getting to 'net zero' is not good if it impoverishes us or just exports the emissions elsewhere in the world. Besides, wouldn't it be a good idea to tackle the worst offending nations by either totals or per capita first, as well as using the tools at our disposal to stop nations like China increasing their emissions year on year by building ever more coal-fired power stations?

Energy Markets - sammy1

Why don't you contribute to the threads instead of asking rhetorical questions of members?

If we are importing oil and gas what is the difference we still need to use it. So we might just as well employ our own people to source it.

The UK may have the moral high ground with climate change but is miles away from delivering if indeed it is truly possible. If you take the production of an ICE car compared to an EV there is perhaps the same amount of CO2 generated, some say less in respect of ICE. When you drive them there is less pollution with EV at source but more at the power station or if you say green then how much CO2 was released in making and installing the wind turbines or storage batteries.

The policy of air/ground force heat pumps is also seriously flawed. Not only do they not work very well but are unsuitable for a large number of properties. Then there is the cost which is unaffordable for most. So just how are people to heat their homes which is pretty fundamental.

Just imagine how much CO2 is going to be released manufacturing heat pumps and the travelling and installing of these

I believe the whole climate change scenario is more about employment and driving the economy. If the UK gov were that concerned I think Boris would be upgrading our sea defences including the Thames Barrier before he gets his feet wet!

Energy Markets - FP

(a) I would have thought asking a question was a contribution.

(b) It wasn't rhetorical.

(c) Your response is very illuminating.

""""It is a net zero transaction - nothing has really changed.""

It is high time the British Gov. started standing up for the interests of this country. Trying to fly the flag for the greenies is against our long term interests.

In what way is preventing/slowing manmade climate change against long term plans?

Energy Markets - Andrew-T

We are going to need oil and gas for many years to come and we should be doing all we can to exploit our reserves including fracking.

Rather late to this thread, sorry. I must assume that you don't live near an area threatened with fracking; if you did, your opinion might be different. That suggestion stirred up a vigorous protest in mid-Lancs, as you may know. Personally I think the notion, while clever, is asking for all sorts of unexpected consequences because of unforeseen geological difficulties.

And 'heating our homes': many people should start by doing something to waste less heat. Or perhaps put on another layer.

Shell was told by Dutch court to reduce emissions.

Shell has sold West Texas oilfield to a US Company.

Headline Advertisement in 2022 - Shell cuts worldwide emissions - BIG Tick for Greenies

Business Page

US Company raises oil and gas production to reduce gas shortages and keep US homes warm.

It is a net zero transaction - nothing has really changed.

Yep. Rather like the UK claiming the same by buying in wood pellets for Drax, etc from the US/Canada and gas/oil from Norway, the Middle East and Russia, instead of using our own resources (Shell recently not exploring some North Sea oil field presumably because they were 'persuaded' not to).

It just moves the emissions source elsewhere in the world, and increases the overall emissions because of the extra transportation required.

Holy smokes, Batman, it's The Virtue Signal!

Energy Markets - sammy1

Reported today that some of the directors of the failed energy companies were called before a committee of MPs. Of interest a director of BULB is retained by the tax payer to help sort out the mess his company has got in. Salary reported to be £250k Some of the directors of AVRO have been taking company loans, common practice it appears with a lot of companies. Your best bet is to be on benefits and have your bills paid or be an asylum seeker and get full board in a Holiday Inn. or being detained in prison! I can see a lot of people going to the pub and spending all night over a half of bitter. Whatever none of the present proposals address the severity of the problems facing people and what they have come up with so far is grossly unfair to a lot of us

Energy Markets - sammy1

Just received my April Octopus bill. Cannot understand why the standing charges have almost doubled from March, surely the infrastructure prices have not gone up that much. yes I understand that we are paying for all the green levies but I nice little earner for the energy companies and the VAT I can understand why the gas prices have risen but how do the energy companies justify the electric increase? How mad is it to be burning GAS to generate electric if this is the reason?

Consumers living in large properties must be extremely worried going into next winter with another std tarriff increase due in October.

Last year to March my bill was £1600 duel fuel, Octopus projection for me is £2900 and probably does not include the October review

Meanwhile city buildings are illuminated like Xmas trees well into the night and large retail premises do not seem to have changed that energy consumption.

Gas price in the UK is world gas price - some countries have much cheaper oil & gas - eg USA, Saudi Arabia. Son in Texas pay 8c (6p) per KWh for electricity - I pay 20p. His gas is also cheap but he burns very little as it is really only for cooking and a simulated fire in the lounge. Despite 6p per Unit he is £4,200 /year - mostly for aircon during 8/9 months of the year (semi-desert climate)

UK Electricity comes from Gas, Nuclear, Wind/solar, some biomas, some Hydro & Pumped Storage PLUS Imports from France, Belgium, Holland, Norway. Last 2 x coal stations have been given a stay of demolition as it is a stable supply and needed in winter

Of the production there is the base load - Gas & Nuclear - Gas is UK North Sea & imports - Norway, some Russian via EU pipelines, Qatar & USA by LNG Tanker.

Gas on North Sea can be contracted by BG but most is bought on World Price - Hence Electricity jumps in price as gas increases. Wind/Solar is unreliable but is again sold in 30 min slots throughout the year - you cannot rely on Wind so we need the Gas/Nuclear to stabilise the National Grid as well as supply power - if the Grid falls over it could take many days or even weeks to get everything back.

Just received my April Octopus bill. Cannot understand why the standing charges have almost doubled from March, surely the infrastructure prices have not gone up that much. yes I understand that we are paying for all the green levies but I nice little earner for the energy companies and the VAT I can understand why the gas prices have risen but how do the energy companies justify the electric increase? How mad is it to be burning GAS to generate electric if this is the reason?

The electricity companies are not having a nice earner though as what they pay for electric is more than the government allows them to charge, that why lots of them have gone out of business.

If the UK does not burn gas for electricity how will the lights stay on? There is not enough generation in the system to turn off all the gas power stations.

Energy Markets - sammy1

"""If the UK does not burn gas for electricity how will the lights stay on? There is not enough generation in the system to turn off all the gas power stations."""

Then turn them back to good old coal. This green nonsense has gone as far as most people will tolerate and making poor people even poorer. What is the point of being pioneers to go green when it is costing an arm and a leg and the majority of the rest of the world are not that much concerned. The whole argument does not stand scrutiny and countries are mining rare metals to enrich themselves. The world is trying to alter the laws of physics which is an impossible task.

Then turn them back to good old coal. This green nonsense has gone as far as most people will tolerate and making poor people even poorer.

So you clearly don't believe that creating more CO2 by burning carbon or hydrocarbons has any long-term disadvantages. If we are to do that we should stick with natural gas, which at least is a lot cleaner. I suppose building a raft of new-tech gasworks might work, but we will need a new generation of guys who are happy to get dirty going down t'pit - unless we develop efficient methods of underground gas generation.

But what the heck - the next generation can look out for themselves.

Energy Markets - sammy1

There are massive open cast mines in Australia for coal and in other parts of the world including the UK. We should be fracking for gas and are know miles behind the curve.

The Drax power station, a so called green miracle has now been called out as a big fudge and the more you look into the so called green policies the bigger the con.

The rush to go green is a big lie and we need to move at the speed the tech takes us.

Lets bankrupt the UK to fly the flag. The UK has been caught seriously Knapping in looking after our energy needs and relying on others to do so. The now rush for nuclear will take years to come through.

Taking another £1000 from households to pay for energy will have a serious effect on peoples ability to spend on consumer items and damage the countries economy.

We should be fracking for gas and are now miles behind the curve.

IMHO fracking in this very populated country is a potential disaster. I'm afraid I am with the mid-Lancs protesters who don't believe it is something they want to live near. Not many people actively want nearby wind turbines (personally I don't mind them, there are over a dozen within a mile of me) so I suspect the nimby opposition to frackers will be strong wherever it is proposed. It sounds to me like an uncontrollable process - tho a clever idea.

The world is trying to alter the laws of physics which is an impossible task.

I don't understand this comment - what laws of physics is the world trying to change?

"""If the UK does not burn gas for electricity how will the lights stay on? There is not enough generation in the system to turn off all the gas power stations."""

Then turn them back to good old coal. This green nonsense has gone as far as most people will tolerate and making poor people even poorer.

So swap one fossil fuel for another dirtier and more polluting one?

You need to improve things in the future not make them worse - we should have move to more renewables decades ago.

Energy Markets - sammy1

""

You need to improve things in the future not make them worse - we should have move to more renewables decades ago."""

Try telling China and some other developing countries, as that bloke in Russia said we are a little country.

As to the laws of mass, the green lobby are trying to convince people that green forms of energy are something for nothing or less damaging than fossil fuels. Some are being led to believe that CO2 is bad and the end of life.

Energy Markets - FP

"As to the laws of mass..."

What does this mean?

"... the green lobby are trying to convince people that green forms of energy are something for nothing or less damaging than fossil fuels."

Two entirely separate issues. Quite clearly, green forms of energy are less damaging than burning fossil fuels, but I have never come across anyone alleging they are "something for nothing".

""

You need to improve things in the future not make them worse - we should have move to more renewables decades ago."""

Try telling China and some other developing countries, as that bloke in Russia said we are a little country.

As to the laws of mass, the green lobby are trying to convince people that green forms of energy are something for nothing or less damaging than fossil fuels. Some are being led to believe that CO2 is bad and the end of life.

Don't worry about what others are doing or not doing - that should not stop you from doing what is the right thing to do. Also you do have to bare in mind that China has a lot of pollution as a lot of the manugacturing it does is what used to be done here - ie steel making. We have just moved the pollution from here to there.

Green forms of energy are better than fossil fuels - compare the pollution from a coal power plant and the pollution from wind turbines.

Co2 on it's own is not dangerous but too much of it in the atmosphere is bad as it warms the planet which then melts ice which increases sea levels and affects the climate...do you not find that bad?

<< CO2 on its own is not dangerous but too much of it in the atmosphere is bad as it warms the planet which then melts ice which increases sea levels and affects the climate...do you not find that bad? >>

And don't forget what will follow if/when the thawing of the tundra permafrost gets properly under way. That means a lot of methane, which is a good deal worse than CO2 as an atmospheric blanket.

Energy Markets - galileo

<< CO2 on its own is not dangerous but too much of it in the atmosphere is bad as it warms the planet which then melts ice which increases sea levels and affects the climate...do you not find that bad? >>

And don't forget what will follow if/when the thawing of the tundra permafrost gets properly under way. That means a lot of methane, which is a good deal worse than CO2 as an atmospheric blanket.

Logically then, it would make sense to collect the methane and burn it to make electricity to minimise the warming effects.

Energy Markets - focussed

Do you have any figures for just how much the global sea level is actually rising per year?

Do you have any figures for just how much the global sea level is actually rising per year?

Yes, here you go:

climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

Energy Markets - sammy1

Well here we go again. October price cap tipped to be some £2800 per year, monopoly money! This equates to an average of some £56 per week!! A lot of people are not earning enough to even pay the income tax people this sort of money. The £240 loan we are given over 5 years will not make a dent in this and a lot of us will not even see the £150 rebate on the council tax. Here's hoping the weekly Downing St party comes up with something a lot more helpful than they have offered so far.

Well here we go again.

Part of the problem is that we have all got used to things 'getting better', or at least expecting them to. But there is a war on, and although we aren't directly involved, that is the source of the trouble. Things have just stopped getting better, which will call for some unpleasant adaptation I'm afraid.

Our friends in the rail unions aren't exactly helping either. Funny that some of them have distinctly communist leanings.

Energy Markets - sammy1

Well Rushi has come up with some very welcome cash in these hard times. He still however has left the VAT on our bills so on the price cap of some £2800 in October he is getting back some £140 per energy customer! Nice one!

Well Rushi has come up with some very welcome cash in these hard times. He still however has left the VAT on our bills so on the price cap of some £2800 in October he is getting back some £140 per energy customer! Nice one!

All he's doing is paving the way to reduced inward investment and recycling our money through the inefficient Whitehall wash, taking a sizeable chunk out.

The politicians and journos conveniently forget that the increased revenues from higher gas, oil and petrol/diesel prices are offset (and for some companies, more than) by significant losses through pulling out from Russia which they have to endure or their insurers will, which will be passed (eventually) onto us consumers.

It would've been far better to reduce the VAT on energy to zero, get rid of the 'green levy' on gas and electricity and to reduce taxes generally (instead of raising them and wasting them on more bureacrats), given they are already raking in more money anyway because of the higher prices. That and getting rid of the price cap, which reduces competition and distorts the market.

Note that a reasonable chunk of the price (cap) rises are because small 'challenger' utility comnpanies went bust because they couldn't raise prices above the price cap and the regulator / government bailed them out with our money via raising the cap.

Price controls and giveaways with our own money never work in the long term, as the piper always has to be paid.

That and getting rid of the price cap, which reduces competition and distorts the market.

Would getting rid if the price cape be wise? Wher I work Energy costs have gone for £100k a year to over £600k - Think a lot more people would struggle if their energy cost miltiplied by 6.

That and getting rid of the price cap, which reduces competition and distorts the market.

Would getting rid if the price cape be wise? Wher I work Energy costs have gone for £100k a year to over £600k - Think a lot more people would struggle if their energy cost miltiplied by 6.

The problem isn't supply - Russia just sells their gas and oil to others (like China or countries not participating in any sanctions), IMHO it's the market price being driven upwards artificially by 'traders' and possibly at the behest of certain globalist world players.

A proper market (i.e. supply and demand) would've evened out by now. We don't have a proper (open) market at the moment, made a LOT worse by the price cap and geopolitics. How ironic that people now love price controls, something that Russian people know all about and how 'brilliant' (or not) they were during the era of the USSR.

<< ... will be passed (eventually) onto us consumers. >>

If there were no consumers the govt would have very little income, so all you might do to limit your tax-take is choose more carefully what to consume. Rishi has simply set up another mechanism to keep money circulating. If you are old enough you may recall the election of 1964, when the Goons put out an LP entitled 'How to Win an Election, or not lose by much'. A memorable line from one of the sketches (from a Labour candidate) was 'When Labour is in power, money will circulate at high speed'.

Energy Markets - Rerepo

I'm wondering if energy prices in the UK will ever drop back. Prices seem to be crazy. We rent out several properties back in the UK and one of our tenants is seeing her electricity bill rise from £134/month to about £250/month! This is for a small two bedroom flat with storage heating.

I can't understand why UK prices are so high. In Thailand we pay about 4 Baht per kWh (about 10p). Current UK prices seem to be 3x that! April was a very hot month and we were running our 3 A/C units for many hours each day. The bill for April was 1600 Baht (about £40), the most expensive bill of the year. In Spain our electricity is also cheaper. Its hard to work out the rate because the Spanish billing system is so complex - but even so it seems that we'll average out to a price well below UK costs.

This year we are planning to be in UK only for July and August - so hopefully heating won't be required. For those of you who are retired, or having a passive income, and facing what look to be huge bills next winter I honestly suggest temporarily locating to warmer climes over the cold season. Much better for your health and wellbeing too!

Energy Markets - Xileno

For the last year I have been paying 3.88p per kw/h for gas and 20.38 for electricity as I was locked in to a 12 month tariff. Now my renewal is a choice:

Variable tariff 7.48p for gas and 28.45p for elec

or fixed until July 2023 at 11.38 for gas and 38.81 for elec.

So do I go on to the better variable rate or fix? It's all a gamble as we don't know what the new price cap in October will be. Anyone got a magic ball!

Energy Markets - sammy1

For the last year I have been paying 3.88p per kw/h for gas and 20.38 for electricity as I was locked in to a 12 month tariff. Now my renewal is a choice:

Variable tariff 7.48p for gas and 28.45p for elec

or fixed until July 2023 at 11.38 for gas and 38.81 for elec.

So do I go on to the better variable rate or fix? It's all a gamble as we don't know what the new price cap in October will be. Anyone got a magic ball!

You have to know your annual units and do the sums. Do the standard charges increase on the fix? You will get the GOV £400 plus the uplift on winter fuel allowance if you get it now.

Unit for unit there is quite an uplift to Fix. I think I would stay on variable tariff which most people recommend and hope for another mild winter

Energy Markets - Xileno

The standing charge is a bit lower on the fixed tariff but not much, only a few pence a day.

I had forgotten about the £400 Gov credit, I don't get winter fuel allowance. I think you're right, thanks. I shall stay on variable and will look out my woollen jumper!